Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He reminds me a bit of Mario Gomez. Really clumsy but just constantly making the right runs so eventually he’ll bundle it in. The big difference between him and all of the other poachers is that he works really hard. The likes of Gomez, Inzaghi, etc. all used to be really lazy, I can’t really remember another poacher that’s so useful out of possession?

Chief123

I still think the Lukaku comp is spot on for Darwin. Very limited technically. Cant control a ball, cant pass a ball, and can barely run with the ball. HOWEVER just like Lukaku he is a physical specimen who has good positioning and scored lots of goals.

You can make fun of Lukaku all day but he has always scored goals consistently and I think that might apply to Darwin.

Now if you compare Darwin to the last 3 TOP Uruguyan strikers, Forlan, Suarez, and Cavani he is literally nowhere near or close to their ability IMO.
He reminds me more of Drogba in his early days at Chelsea.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Just seen it again. So Nunez completely missed it which is even worse.
Yup and he's doubly lucky because he had just missed a chance in the exact same way a minute before, had he not got that but of luck I'd expect Klopp/Salah to give him a bollocking.

Chief123

He reminds me a bit of Mario Gomez. Really clumsy but just constantly making the right runs so eventually he’ll bundle it in. The big difference between him and all of the other poachers is that he works really hard. The likes of Gomez, Inzaghi, etc. all used to be really lazy, I can’t really remember another poacher that’s so useful out of possession?
Miroslav Klose

mu4c_20le

He will score goals but will never not be funny because of his style and price tag.

Chip

Would be a funny thread if not for the fact that he's probably gonna score more goals than 50 % of the total amount of goals will United score the whole season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People compare him to Lukaku as a put-down but Lukaku got his goals without having anywhere near the workrate this guy has. Looking ungainly as hell won't stop Nunez getting a lot of goals.

Question is just how many goals is "a lot" and how often his technical limations hurt Liverpool, especially in bigger games.

I wonder how many goals Liverpool fans are expecting from him this season?

Chief123

Would be a funny thread if not for the fact that he's probably gonna score more goals than 50 % of the total amount of goals will United score the whole season.
Would be funny if that was actually realistic. It clearly ain’t going to happen. You think Nunez is scoring 30 prem goals? Utd scored 57 in our worst season in prem last season. We ain’t going to be that bad again either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So he got himself a goal and an assist despite not meaning to do either? He’ll take that I guess but :lol:

Eplel

Low bar if you think about it, but there's always the chance he'll be outscored by a 38 year old who didn't even want to be here.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As a Utd fan, i personally wouldn’t mind us paying £80m for a 22 year old who will probably bang in 20+ goals right now.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So he got himself a goal and an assists despite not meaning to do either? He’ll take that I guess but :lol:
Don't forget his penalty won via missing an easy header by miles.

Jam

Got 57 last year, he isn’t going to get 29 league goals you silly sausage.

I’d probably expect us to get 65-70 this year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So you see him score at least around 30 goals?

DevTheRed

So clumsy he's brilliant.

It's difficult to defend against someone who doesn't know himself what he's going to do next.

Chip

Got 57 last year, he isn’t going to get 29 league goals you silly sausage.

I’d probably expect us to get 65-70 this year.
So you see him score at least around 30 goals?
I might have exaggerated a bit. But he's gonna score more goals than any of our strikers - and honestly I think he'll score more than Martial, Sancho, and Rashford (and probably Ronaldo as well) combined. Point being that I think it's silly to laugh at him when we desperately need a striker, and I'm sure he's exactly the type of player we are in desperate need for. Whether he's an "elegant footballer" is a different matter, but he's sure gonna be effective.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There’s more to being a poacher than making the right runs. If you can’t bring a through ball instantly under control it’s a huge hindrance. There’s a big difference between lacking a really elite first touch and the sort of clumsiness we saw from Nunez today.

Chances are he’ll still be fairly prolific. Especially in his first season. But he may well struggle once defenders work out how to use his weaknesses against him. Unless he improves his all round game, obviously.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Keep on praising him but we all know Pool is a good team already. One thing is for certain, if Mane was playing they would have won.

Stadjer

So clumsy he's brilliant.

It's difficult to defend against someone who doesn't know himself what he's going to do next.
Suarez had that too. It looked clumsy and the ball the way he sometimes bounced the ball past players but it worked. If it keeps happening it isnt lucky but a quality.

BarcaSpurs

I still think the Lukaku comp is spot on for Darwin. Very limited technically. Cant control a ball, cant pass a ball, and can barely run with the ball. HOWEVER just like Lukaku he is a physical specimen who has good positioning and scored lots of goals.

You can make fun of Lukaku all day but he has always scored goals consistently and I think that might apply to Darwin.

Now if you compare Darwin to the last 3 TOP Uruguyan strikers, Forlan, Suarez, and Cavani he is literally nowhere near or close to their ability IMO.
He plays at a much higher intensity than Lukaku, its not just pressing out of possession but also the off the ball runs, the determination to win duels etc. Don't know why so many ignore the obvious Cavani comparison.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Suarez had that too. It looked clumsy and the ball the way he sometimes bounced the ball past players but it worked. If it keeps happening it isnt lucky but a quality.
Nah. Suarez rolled the dice and took his chances on things coming off or being able to react to the bounce of the ball quicker than the defender.

Nunez is having the ball hit him when he doesn't even know about it and go in the net or go to teammates for an assist ffs.

izec

If he scores 30 goals in the league and works his socks off, you can't ask for more, even if he is not perfect technically.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's cast and gets into good positions but he's pretty bad on the ball. Unless he's an excellent finisher I wouldn't worry much about him

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He plays at a much higher intensity than Lukaku, its not just pressing out of possession but also the off the ball runs, the determination to win duels etc. Don't know why so many ignore the obvious Cavani comparison.
Thats the only party of Cavani he has however a lot of South American player have that constant grit and pressing attribute. He does not have Cavanis finishing or technical qualities though. He has a lot of deficiencies to b a world class player as things stand.

TrueRed79

He's a donkey. First goal was a pox and his assist was again another showcase of his awful first touch.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If he scores 30 goals in the league and works his socks off, you can't ask for more, even if he is not perfect technically.
That's a massive if. If McTominay starts playing like Keane, you can't ask for more either.

Bobski

The Lukaku comparisons are not vaild, yes Nunez is a bit rough technically but the tempo and intensity he plays at dwarfs what Lukaku is capable of. Cavani is a better comparison, aggression, movement, poses a huge physical test. Lukaku should be bullying defenders but doesn't.

BarcaSpurs already made the comparison.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As a Utd fan, i personally wouldn’t mind us paying £80m for a 22 year old who will probably bang in 20+ goals right now.
I really doubt he'll score 20+ premier league goals, and he wouldn't do that at United anyway.

Unless you meant 20+ goals in total, which even Rashford can score.