Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

cyberman

I've never seen a player given more excuses for not scoring. Christ our own fans slaughtered Ronaldo for much of last year even when he was scoring the majority of our goals, AND we slaughtered Martial for years when he'd play perfect technical football but fail to finish chances. We seem to hate both, yet many of our fans rate Nunez for being a donkey that also doesn't finish well. It's the most bizarre behavior I've seen.
It’s this obvious pact from Neville and Carragher not to go after him which annoys me. Maybe it shouldn’t but there’s so many examples of bad finishing and terrible technique being waved away as it’ll be ok it’ll come / he mustn’t believe how unlucky he is that it’s now misrepresenting what’s happening on the pitch.
I mean, Liverpool are 6th. Brentford will be 2 points behind them if they win this, Chelsea are a game in hand away from having the same amount of points and they have won 1 league game in 8. This is from a side who nearly won it all last season! They can’t even blame injuries as they did last time.
Theres a real discussion that has to be made about their season that’s simply being ignored.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Arteta looked useless despite everyone in the media praising him no matter what.

I hope this isn't going to be the same.

Dan_F

That’s why I don’t buy the narrative about how getting loads of chances mean the goals will follow. It’s not about snatching at chances. His problems go much deeper than finishing. He has a fundamental inability to kick the ball where he wants it to go, consistently.
Yep. Even the one today looked unlucky at first, but he shot straight down the middle of the goal.

matsdf

Just keep in mind that Suarez also was very wasteful when he first joined Liverpool.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That’s why I don’t buy the narrative about how getting loads of chances mean the goals will follow. It’s not about snatching at chances. His problems go much deeper than finishing. He has a fundamental inability to kick the ball where he wants it to go, consistently.
:lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Just keep in mind that Suarez also was very wasteful when he first joined Liverpool.
It's a different story though IMO because technically Suarez (first touch / passing etc was always good.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: Chaotic in every sense of the word.

Some players keep you on your feet, because you just don’t know what they’re going to do next. Nunez is one of those where even he doesn’t know what he’s going to do next

Gazza

:lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean when you take into account his age (23), first season in the Prem, the pressure of the fee and media, but he's still on pace for 20 goals this season in all comps, surely that says that the goals follow the chances regardless? Even if he finishes at a shit percentage of his xG, he's still putting up a stupid high xG per 90. No player finished that badly where that xG level doesn't turn into a high goal total.

youmeletsfly

I mean when you take into account his age (23), first season in the Prem, the pressure of the fee and media, but he's still on pace for 20 goals this season in all comps, surely that says that the goals follow the chances regardless? Even if he finishes at a shit percentage of his xG, he's still putting up a stupid high xG per 90. No player finished that badly where that xG level doesn't turn into a high goal total.
Lukaku was atrocious in his first season at United, scored 20 but missed 20 more. Same can be said about Zlatan to aj extent.

Darwin, until now, has been worse than Lukaku, especially when it mattered.

crossy1686

career ending
Those of you saying “he’ll come good eventually” do you watch him play?

All the comparisons to players before him are madness, they all found the net with regularity, this lad is fecking thick, his footballing intelligence is the poorest I’ve seen at this level. He’s never going to just start scoring goals (the hardest part about football)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t believe how bad he is at shooting for an 85m striker. You could probably pick up a striker in league 1 that has better finishing.

cyberman

I called this and hope more people notice it. He cannot kick a ball anywhere but straight so it’s always straight at the keeper when he does get good contact. It why he fluffs it when trying to pick a corner, any sort of angle at all and he isn’t scoring because he can’t place it. One v one with keeper? Straight at him. The misses when coming in from wide? Miles past the target

Eplel

He should be officially named "The Uruguayan Andy Carroll"

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Enough of this shite about working hard and being unlucky. He got lucky v Leicester that should have seen them struggle to get a winner from a bad miss but it got thrown in for him.
Now he misses a glorious, early chance that would change the game but no. Sky gave him every excuse for the miss. These misses matter.
The coverage he is getting is insane.

FujiVice

He's dreadful. You dont drag a ball like he does if its bad form. The amount of times he slices the thing and misses both the target and the man in the box if frightening.

Shinjch

He was so bad today, really don't think Liverpool can get anywhere with him as a number 9. He could maybe do a job on the left of a three, or if he had a striker to play alongside. But he is just so lacking technically to play as a lone striker. Gives Salah nothing to play off either. He has made them a much worse team so far.

Idxomer

Lukaku was atrocious in his first season at United, scored 20 but missed 20 more. Same can be said about Zlatan to aj extent.

Darwin, until now, has been worse than Lukaku, especially when it mattered.
He wasn't though, he was good in his first season and not just because he scored 27 goals. That was even the consensus here.

I agree that Nunez has been easily worse and also isn't likely to remain a guaranteed starter for long.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's a different story though IMO because technically Suarez (first touch / passing etc was always good.
BINGO. It's the reason I refuse to believe he's all of the sudden going to become lethal in front of goal, this isn't some great technical footballer that's just snatching at it or getting unlucky. He's a geniune technical donkey with great physical attributes but 0 real technique in front of goal. Sure he'll graft his way to above 0 numbers no doubt because they create a bunch for him and again he's physically a pain for defenders to deal with given his pace/strength/work rate combo. He's basically an Origi replacement that's being talked about like he's a Haaland rival that's just been a bit unlucky.

Suarez was a fantastic footballer (who also had great numbers for years before his first LIV season).

Mike Smalling

He got bailed out by the own goals vs. Leicester, but today his misses actually cost them points.

sepulturite

I said it in the gameweek thread this is the first time I've watched him play for Liverpool all season and apart from his misses he just does nothing the rest of the time, which is nearly worse. They may as well have been playing with ten men.