Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

crossy1686

career ending
Remember when we had Falcao and you just knew it wasn’t going to work? Remember Forlan, when you just knew? Remember Dong?

Then remember Ruud? Rooney? Van Persie? Berbatov?

I can tell you comfortably where Nunez will be now and in due time.

prateik

He looks like he would be a really good striker for a mid table club where he can be a nuisance and get 15 goals a season... but at a top club, strikers need to be more reliable.. even if he scores a decent number of goals, a striker as inconsistent in his finishing as him wouldnt be a starter at a top club..

Not sure if he is going through a really rough patch or he is this erratic all the time.. if its the latter, he isnt what Liverpool need.

cyberman

Just to add some meat to the bones of my theory that his issues run much deeper than poor finishing. Against Leicester his pass completion was 56%. Pretty terrible, right? Against Villa it was… wait for it… 30% :lol:
He got MOTM v Villa with 4 completed passes to his name!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
:lol: What? He has to score them to come good though, and that's something he literally cannot do.
He will turn that corner sooner or later. His movement and physical attributes are brilliant. He will be a great goalscorer when it clicks for him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Those of you saying “he’ll come good eventually” do you watch him play?

All the comparisons to players before him are madness, they all found the net with regularity, this lad is fecking thick, his footballing intelligence is the poorest I’ve seen at this level. He’s never going to just start scoring goals (the hardest part about football)
That's the thing though, going into today he had 5 goals and 2 assists in 781 league minutes, 3 goals and 1 assist in 280 CL minutes. Which is good.

It might be the rate of return changes as he gets more minutes but as it stands the fact that he has been returning at a good rate despite his sometimes glaring misses is going to shape the conversation around him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Is there anymore excuses we can make for him yet?
One analogy we can use is fish. When you put a new fish into an existing tank, you dont put it straight away. You float the plastic bag inside until the fish gets acclimated to the tank water then you let it out slowly. Darwin Nunez is a tank and Liverpool is the fish. They. Are. Not. Ready for such greatness.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just to add some meat to the bones of my theory that his issues run much deeper than poor finishing.

Against Leicester his pass completion was 56%.

Pretty terrible, right?

Against Villa it was…

wait for it…

30% :lol:
Wow, that’s shocking. His average on FBref over the last 365 days (so a big bulk of this is Benfica stats) has him at 60.6% per 90, which puts him in the bottom 15th percentile.

crossy1686

career ending
He will turn that corner sooner or later. His movement and physical attributes are brilliant. He will be a great goalscorer when it clicks for him.
No he won't not in this league, no way. He runs down blind alleys, he can't strike a ball cleanly, he has zero composure in front of goal. The only time he scores its because it's come off him or he's hit it so early not even he was expecting it to go in, let alone the keeper.

Doing lots of running doesn't put the ball in the back of the net.

Berbaclass

No he won't not in this league, no way. He runs down blind alleys, he can't strike a ball cleanly, he has zero composure in front of goal. The only time he scores its because it's come off him or he's hit it so early not even he was expecting it to go in, let alone the keeper.

Doing lots of running doesn't put the ball in the back of the net.
He can clearly finish, just look at the way he took that goal that was disallowed. He's just in his own head at the moment. When he gets some confidence he'll bang them in.

crossy1686

career ending
That's the thing though, going into today he had 5 goals and 2 assists in 781 league minutes, 3 goals and 1 assist in 280 CL minutes. Which is good.

It might be the rate of return changes as he gets more minutes but as it stands the fact that he has been returning at a good rate despite his sometimes glaring misses is going to shape the conversation around him.
The stats don't mean that much to me to be honest. He plays at the top end of the pitch and Liverpool create chances so he's always going to have numbers that appear okay. However you've only got to watch him to see that there isn't a quality football, let alone CF, in him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Is he all of the sudden going to have a bag of finishing techniques to go to? Because currently he has none, he just sort of shoots it at the goal (poorly the majority of the time mind you) and hopes it finds it's way in.

Stop getting so sucked into a players physical attributes. This is like people that rate Adama Traore because he's really fast and strong so he's "dangerous"

Berbaclass

The stats don't mean that much to me to be honest. He plays at the top end of the pitch and Liverpool create chances so he's always going to have numbers that appear okay. However you've only got to watch him to see that there isn't a quality football, let alone CF, in him.
You don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt moving to a completely new league/country and with such a massive fee? The issue is confidence and it doesn't help him playing in a really poor side at the moment.

I'd like to be wrong of course.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Just to add some meat to the bones of my theory that his issues run much deeper than poor finishing.

Against Leicester his pass completion was 56%.

Pretty terrible, right?

Against Villa it was…

wait for it…

30% :lol:
get off his back. call me old fashioned but i don’t care how many passes he makes. he’s there to score goals.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Exactly, it's like someone who would hammer the numbers from our strikers in some past seasons when in reality we'd hardly create for them so it's difficult to have good numbers anyways. Put Suarez from his Liverpool days in this side and he'd be close to Haaland numbers and people would talk about how great Liverpool are.

crossy1686

career ending
You don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt moving to a completely new league/country and with such a massive fee? The issue is confidence and it doesn't help him playing in a really poor side at the moment.

I'd like to be wrong of course.
No, I think it only get's worse for him from here.

No one in that side is getting younger, their best players look to be the wrong side of 30 now. The chances being created for him are going to start coming less and less and the one's he gets he will consistently miss.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He can clearly finish, just look at the way he took that goal that was disallowed. He's just in his own head at the moment. When he gets some confidence he'll bang them in.
You're obviously right, everyone is just acting hyper because he is hilarious to watch and keeps missing.

Berbaclass

No one in that side is getting younger, their best players look to be the wrong side of 30 now. The chances being created for him are going to start coming less and less and the one's he gets he will consistently miss.
How exactly does it get worse for him?

Chairman Steve

Whilst he’s a meme at the moment, I think he’ll end up to be a decent player. Not worth the money paid for him and not scoring ridiculous quantities previously contributed by Salah/Mane/Firmino.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not to mention this isn't some player with a huge history of being a great finisher that all of the sudden is struggling. Benfica fans even admit that his golden finishing season there last year was a complete anomaly that they didn't understand.

crossy1686

career ending
Not to mention this isn't some player with a huge history of being a great finisher that all of the sudden is struggling. Benfica fans even admit that his golden finishing season there last year was a complete anomaly that they didn't understand.
Yep, there's some guy who's Uruguayan on Twitter who hates him, says he's ruining their national team with his shitness.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well done lad keep it up.

Berbaclass

Less chances created by others for him, which will highlight his misses more, despite all his running around.
That's not something he controls as an individual though. For him it can't really get much worse, even still he is showing glimpses of quality.

He will come good once he finds his feet, no pun intended.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
should have been brought in when they still had Mane and been allowed time to adapt. He is simply not the attacker to come in and immediately contribute that they need right now. They'd be better off playing Firmino over him.