Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

cyberman

Nunez has started to play from the left as well but position is irrelevant. The question is whether United would take him, and right now he doesn’t seem to be any worse than your current striking options.

Rashford looks good now but he’s had a very up and down career and is two years older. From what I’ve read on here, he can frustrate with his decision making in the final third.
Martial is injury prone and you don’t really have anyone else. I’m not sure what your chance creation is like compared to ours but ETH seems to have you trying to play on the front foot and creating chances. Nunez would probably get a decent number of chances at United.
Not being worse than our striking options isn’t that much of a point to make. I know, I know but a fit Martial is miles better than. Nunez and even then we wouldn’t be getting Nunez on a free. Would he get in front of a 38 year old Ronaldo? Yes. Would anybody go for him for 85m or whatever you spent on him? Of course not.
How many chances and positions can the man waste before certain people wake up to him? It’s extremely difficult to he consistent with a man like that. A man who has nothing outside of scoring goals and even struggles to do that.
Every fanbase has players like these. We talked up Lukaku and even Pogba despite their deficiencies. Chelsea had Lukaku and Morata with his goals per minute stats and shite like that. Even City fans were defending Grealish and his habit of slllllooowwwing the game waaaay down. If you do get Gakpo or another striker in the summer you’ll be relieved at selling him for 30m to Atletico. It just takes time to realise that. Hell add Maguire to our list!

Mike Smalling

They’re both on 9 this season. Nunez in 19 appearances and Rashford in 20. Both on 3 assists.
Rashford has three goals in the World Cup though. I don't think the point is so much to compare Nunez output to Rashford, but more compare it to the price Liverpool paid.

In the age of football meme'ing, an expensive player will always get a hard time for putting up lots of misses. The good thing for Liverpool is that his head hasn't dropped, and he continues to put himself about. He could still turn out to be a useful player, but I don't think he will ever be that deadly striker that needs just one chance in a big game. It certainly looks like Liverpool have overpaid.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Rashford has three goals in the World Cup though. I don't think the point is so much to compare Nunez output to Rashford, but more compare it to the price Liverpool paid.

In the age of football meme'ing, an expensive player will always get a hard time for putting up lots of misses. The good thing for Liverpool is that his head hasn't dropped, and he continues to put himself about. He could still turn out to be a useful player, but I don't think he will ever be that deadly striker that needs just one chance in a big game. It certainly looks like Liverpool have overpaid.
Yeah I don’t disagree. I think we overpaid as well because of desperation to get someone in to replace Mane.

He can still become a very good player for us though. Sadly big money signings don’t have the luxury of time.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean it counts in the scoring charts everywhere you look online. No different to scoring in a Super Cup or World Club Cup game.
I thought it was widely considered a glorified friendly.

Anyway. Nunez wouldn’t be United’s top scorer. Rashford has as many. Doesn’t change anything.

Mike Smalling

Yeah I don’t disagree. I think we overpaid as well because of desperation to get someone in to replace Mane.

He can still become a very good player for us though. Sadly big money signings don’t have the luxury of time.
The funny thing is that he does seem to be afforded time by the mainstream media. The criticism and trolling seems to be very much an internet thing so far. Didn't he get MOTM today?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This was what I said a couple of months ago:

"My personal opinion, and this has nothing to do with him playing for Benfica, would say the same if it was coming from Sporting, I sincerely doubt he is the type of player wanted by Ten Haag, more laughable was reading posts here saying he would bench Ronaldo, yes he is younger and presses more, but from the technical point of view he is average even if he is explosive when he has space to run, but I doubt Ten Haag will play counterattacking football against the big teams like Benfica did in the Champions League or in the big games in Portugal, let alone the ridiculous price they are asking, surely there are better options on the market for the prices they are demanding."

There was an reply, doesn't matter by who.

"he has plenty of threat in and around the box. people talk like he’s purely a counter attack machine which just isn’t true.

I think some forget he’s only 22, that’s still pretty young for a striker. He won’t be the answer to all our problems but right now we don’t have a lot of choices.

We have to get goals into this team to help Ronaldo share the burden.

We aren’t shopping for the likes of Felix, and what other great strikers are there available? "

My reply:

"Ok but not at any price, come on there must be other type of options in the market. If you want my opinion he is more suited to Newcastle than United, if coming to United would be stupidity beyond belief to pay something bordering the 100 million euros tag, the guy responsible for that should go straight to prison, if Newcastle has silly money to spend it’s their problem, time for a club with the size of United to be ruled by reason and logic and to not be taken hostage by football agents or despair to show they are doing something spending big to shut up the fans who want new toys, hope Ten Haag has a say on the type of players hired for the club."

I am not surprised with the outcome. Not that I won't be surprised if at any point he starts improving and he will start scoring a couple of goals, but even Klopp was aware of his technical limitations I guess?

Me as a casual fan who watched him at Benfica only from the last 15 years from South American strikers in our league rated more Falcão, Hulk (not exactly a striker) Lisandro Lopez, Oscar Cardozo, Jackson Martinez, and I won't go with the Slimani or Bas Dost (not South Americans) stuff because Benfica posters might think I am taking the piss with them. Wouldn't trade him by Liedson anyway, that's how good I think he is.

Who was the guy who compared him with Diego Forlan? That one when didn't scored at least had class inside and outside the pitch. Darwin? He looks Ben Johnson full on steroids doing a 100 m sprint fighting with the ball and a couple of seconds later he discovers he was offside...

Good Lord, sometimes Klopp isn't as smart as he likes to show he is, isn't it?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He spends most years telling us how everybody else is better than we are and how they’re going to win every game until the end of time because of it.
Yeah, pretty sad stuff, especially when someone is defending idiot such is Nunez.

Oranges038

Gets in great positions. Left 3 or 4 decent chances to score behind him today. His finishing is awful right now.

Relevant

Not being worse than our striking options isn’t that much of a point to make. I know, I know but a fit Martial is miles better than. Nunez and even then we wouldn’t be getting Nunez on a free. Would he get in front of a 38 year old Ronaldo? Yes. Would anybody go for him for 85m or whatever you spent on him? Of course not.
How many chances and positions can the man waste before certain people wake up to him? It’s extremely difficult to he consistent with a man like that. A man who has nothing outside of scoring goals and even struggles to do that.
Every fanbase has players like these. We talked up Lukaku and even Pogba despite their deficiencies. Chelsea had Lukaku and Morata with his goals per minute stats and shite like that. Even City fans were defending Grealish and his habit of slllllooowwwing the game waaaay down. If you do get Gakpo or another striker in the summer you’ll be relieved at selling him for 30m to Atletico. It just takes time to realise that. Hell add Maguire to our list!
Yep Nunez couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.....but he's a disruptor. I'm not gonna explain that but you know what I mean. And now the feckers are getting Gapko as well? That's shit for us. Proper shit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surely won't be starting much longer with them signing Gapko. Him, Salah and Diaz when fit again looks a pretty interesting front 3.

Guy just dosen't look clinical at all when he gets in the final third.

mu4c_20le

Yep Nunez couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.....but he's a disruptor. I'm not gonna explain that but you know what I mean. And now the feckers are getting Gapko as well? That's shit for us. Proper shit.
Ahh, second season Tevez.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I am not surprised with the outcome. Not that I won't be surprised if at any point he starts improving and he will start scoring a couple of goals, but even Klopp was aware of his technical limitations I guess?

Me as a casual fan who watched him at Benfica only from the last 15 years from South American strikers in our league rated more Falcão, Hulk (not exactly a striker) Lisandro Lopez, Oscar Cardozo, Jackson Martinez, and I won't go with the Slimani or Bas Dost (not South Americans) stuff because Benfica posters might think I am taking the piss with them. Wouldn't trade him by Liedson anyway, that's how good I think he is.

Who was the guy who compared him with Diego Forlan? That one when didn't scored at least had class inside and outside the pitch. Darwin? He looks Ben Johnson full on steroids doing a 100 m sprint fighting with the ball and a couple of seconds later he discovers he was offside...

Good Lord, sometimes Klopp isn't as smart as he likes to show he is, isn't it?
I think you and I have been the consistent Portuguese league viewers who have been banging this drum. You are spot on with regard to the forwards in recent years who are clearly better - Slimani and Bas Dost included despite not being South American, and for me Mehdi Tahremi as well pretty comfortably.

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone tried to tell me that Darwin was better than Cavani ever had been which was beyond absurd.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think you and I have been the consistent Portuguese league viewers who have been banging this drum. You are spot on with regard to the forwards in recent years who are clearly better - Slimani and Bas Dost included despite not being South American, and for me Mehdi Tahremi as well pretty comfortably.

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone tried to tell me that Darwin was better than Cavani ever had been which was beyond absurd.
Yeah forgot Taremi, much better football overall but TBF with Darwin he is athletically more suited to the game in England and much younger.

I do feel at a certain point he will get it right, but as a footballer he is behind Suarez, Cavani or Forlan for Uruguay.

No doubt about that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah forgot Taremi, much better football overall but TBF with Darwin he is athletically more suited to the game in England and much younger.

I do feel at a certain point he will get it right, but as a footballer he is behind Suarez, Cavani or Forlan for Uruguay.

No doubt about that.
For me until he learns how to pass he will always be an extremely limited footballer. The kind of guy you want to bring on with 15 minutes left. I just don't ever see him being influential at the highest level of the sport unless his passing improves by several orders of magnitude.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
For me until he learns how to pass he will always be an extremely limited footballer. The kind of guy you want to bring on with 15 minutes left. I just don't ever see him being influential at the highest level of the sport unless his passing improves by several orders of magnitude.
What makes me laugh is that I am detecting a pattern here regarding Klopp, first he plays vs Porto, Diaz plays well let’s sign him, the same thing with Darwin later.

It’s impossible they didn’t detected those issues before, this guys probably even knew him before he played 2 seasons for Benfica.

Probably Klopp has such a confidence level on his methods that he thinks he can improve any player, this one really will be curious to follow…

432JuanMata

He will scores goals for Liverpool and overall his goals per game will be decent but he is so wasteful that you have to wonder if Liverpool be better off without him

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He misses a hilarious amount of sitters but there's something about him that I like. He's really quick and powerful and he has a fantastic work ethic. I think he'll be quality if he can just relax a little bit in the final third. He's snatching at stuff and it's hard to say if it's anxiety through the pressure of the big move and all the negative attention on him or if that's just who he is but his goal record in Portugal would suggest he has something about him from a goalscoring POV too.

Steve Bruce

They’re both on 9 this season. Nunez in 19 appearances and Rashford in 20. Both on 3 assists.
Still beating this statistical drum without context.

How many chances has Nunez had to score 9 goals compared to Rashford?

It's a stupid comparison just using apps and goals. There's a lot more to it than that

Edit. Checked the stats, 12.5% conversion rate for Nunez, 18.18% for Rashford.

Rashford is significantly more deadly in front of goal this season so far, he just doesn't get the same amount of chances

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What makes me laugh is that I am detecting a pattern here regarding Klopp, first he plays vs Porto, Diaz plays well let’s sign him, the same thing with Darwin later.

It’s impossible they didn’t detected those issues before, this guys probably even knew him before he played 2 seasons for Benfica.

Probably Klopp has such a confidence level on his methods that he thinks he can improve any player, this one really will be curious to follow…
True - but Diaz at least was comfortably the best player in Portugal at the time and a pretty natural fit for what Liverpool want to do. Darwin on the other hand is allergic to passing so it seems a bizarre fit for any top side.

Still makes me laugh that Liverpool signed a guy who won every award for worst signing in Portugal merely two seasons beforehand.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Still beating this statistical drum without context.

How many chances has Nunez had to score 9 goals compared to Rashford?

It's a stupid comparison just using apps and goals. There's a lot more to it than that

Edit. Checked the stats, 12.5% conversion rate for Nunez, 18.18% for Rashford.

Rashford is significantly more deadly in front of goal this season so far, he just doesn't get the same amount of chances
Rashford scored 5 in 32 last season.

He’s having a better season right now but only marginally. He’s two years older that Núñez as well.

His price ultimately doesn’t make it worth it for United. You’re crying out for a goal scorer though.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Doesn’t bode well for him if klopp is replacing him with gakpo within 6 months.
Wow, that singing was out if the blue, Luis Diaz-equeu.
It's exciting to see the league with more of such talent.
Excellent finishing for non-forward.
He tends to occupy RMF/LMF.
Klopp might want to use him to replace Ox or Arsene's Henry.

Last edited:

Steve Bruce

Rashford scored 5 in 32 last season.

He’s having a better season right now but only marginally. He’s two years older that Núñez as well.

His price ultimately doesn’t make it worth it for United. You’re crying out for a goal scorer though.
What's age got to do with it. Rashford scored 21 at Nunez age, he scored 22 a year younger.

When Rashford was 18 he scored 8 in 18.

Rashford fell off because of a back injury and lack of coaching by ole and is only now starting to rekindle his confidence under eth

But it's a silly comparison anyway. Rashford is a youth product. You paid 100m for a donkey

crossy1686

career ending
Yea i thought so too but they just reached an agreement for Gakpo at 37mil.
And we have no idea how that will work out yet or if he's even worth it. I remember when they signed that Asian lad for £7m and this place was in absolute uproar: "Why are Liverpool so much better than us at transfers!", even the press was saying it's a smart deal, only Klopp can find these players. Turns out they're just not good enough, which is why they get a complete free run when it comes down to actually making a bid.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
He creates a lot of chances with his movement, obviously has to work a lot on his finishing and get his confidence back. He was way overpriced, that's the case with most Benfica players, but he is still young and can be useful.

I wouldn't say he is a donkey, more like an horse, he runs quite a bit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Diaz was scouted extensively and signed with thr nerds stamp of approval. Darwin was scouted by Klopp and his staff in preparation for the games, the nerds advised against signing him, and Klopp just overruled them. Liverpool just had probably their worst transfer window in years and it was the first time they let Klopp be in charge of it

The moral here is don't leave your manager in charge of transfers

Mind, if this guy ever beats Toaster Toes Timo Syndrome, he'd be a monster

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm very uncomfortable writing him off as a flop. Obviously he's quite a different player, but it kind of reminds me of Drogba. Many (if not most) people were laughing at him and saying he was a flop during his first season at Chelsea, but there were enough signs there that I was worried. And those worries ended up being well founded as he obviously went on to be fantastic for them.

Nunez is similar. Obviously there are moments where it's hilarious to watch him fail at simple things, but at the same time he's an agent of chaos that could be absolutely devastating if he develops the right way.

ariveded

The 100M corrupts the opinion of the fans. Imo, we should not judge players of their transfer fees anymore, they are their big money, and the fans are irrelevant today.

Without the price-tag, it's clear LFC are better with him in the team, and he is taking the shots, just not precise enough.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Still maintaining a "goal + assist" to "90 minutes played" ratio of less than 1, which is quite good.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
My take on him is that he absolutely fantastic speed, strength, and power. When you give him space to run into, he will more often than not convert balls in behind into a real chance. The problem is that he seems to lack composure, decision-making, and technical ability. Moreover, it's very hard to be a good finisher if you lack technical ability. I think the most worrying aspect for Liverpool is that last night they actually would have seen him in his most favourable situation i.e. against a high line. Put him against a low block and he won't be able to make runs in behind. And he's not a Haaland because he doesn't seem to have the same preternatural poaching instincts.

Yes, he scores goals. But when you're the main #9 for one of the best teams in the league, you're always going to get chances. The issue isn't really how many he scores; the issue is that he should be scoring more than he is.