Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickosaur

Insane to think Brighton were apparently close to signing this guy within the last 18 months.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ronaldo yes but Kane now a days is more of a false 9 anyways but with the added advantage of being brilliant goalscorer as well.
Can he do it? Yes
Would they have played that way if they got him? I personally think they would have played a lot more with him as a traditional number 9

Andrew7582

If you watch the every touch videos of his performances rather than the highlights he’s pretty useless on the ball. Gives it away a lot - he would be slaughtered here. I want a team of technical hardworking footballers - the striker role is changing - sign Nkunku and stick him up top in a fluid front 3.
I agree with this. I've watched him a bit more since we were initially linked and he looks too clumsy on the ball to me, we need someone with better technical ability.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don’t want to be that guy but he’s really not that good. Seferovic (scrub) put up similar numbers playing for Benfica. Slimani (who I love by the way) put up much better numbers and and performances before going to EPL for 30M and not being as good. Jackson Martinez for Porto way waaaay better then Darwin and he also flopped in atlético.

When it comes to strikers in Portugal it is very hard to judge how they will be out the country. Off the top of my head only Falcão was a clear difference maker but then again he showed it in Europe.

Benfica advertise many flops, I remember Gaitan was a fétish here for a while and Gaitan was a better winger then Darwin is a striker.

Darwin has many flaws too his game and his physical stature saves him a little.

SAF is the GOAT

He's my preferred striker, said it for the last month or 2.

We'll get a great player for a long term period

Hughie77

€80 MILLION , That's what I've read, there quoting. I can't see UTD paying that, or any club.

Remember the geese

I have an odd feeling with him. I don't think he is a world beater, but I get the feeling he'd be really good for us. Not a penny over £50m though.

Remember the geese

[
Sounds like a United signing, 50 million and not a world beater. :nono: :houllier:
Yeah my observation wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement of him, but there aren't too many top quality, realistic alternatives. Like I said, I think he could be pretty effective, just not particularly spectacular. Not for £80m though or any other ridiculous price.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched Benfica vs Porto twice last time but he didn't show much in the game. Even when you watch that YouTube compilation, he looks a mess where it seems he's a type of striker who needs big space to hold the ball. I have doubt in him.

Mainoldo

I watched Benfica vs Porto twice last time but he didn't show much in the game. Even when you watch that YouTube compilation, he looks a mess where it seems he's a type of striker who needs big space to hold the ball. I have doubt in him.
He’s just not technically good enough. Glad I’m not the only one picking that up from clips. Not comfortable on the ball at all.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’s just not technically good enough. Glad I’m not the only one picking that up from clips. Not comfortable on the ball at all.
We’ll probably sign him then

MattofManchester

I like him, but he lacks the quality.

A bit like Lukaku. Tall, strong, with good pace.
But technically lacking.

Suits a counter attacking team.

L1nk

We should be all over it if even the slightest chance is possible, rather than Harry Kane.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He could be a really good guy for Bruno and some wide forwards to play off. I think I would have preferred vlahovic but until everything gets sorted behind the scenes you’re really just throwing more and more expensive players into an uncertain situation and hoping for the best. Get the manager sorted any day now and get him 4/5 players, promote some youth and ship out the unhappy lads and see where we are this time next year.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not convinced at all he's good enough yet. Guarantee our fans would be tearing their hair out if he was our main striker - it's a massive jump in pressure, for someone who's not particularly consistent.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Never seen him play but from what I've read he's not great against packed defenses and seems quite inconsistent. Is that right?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No one from Spain is going to pay 60m for this guy. Westham or Newcastle might take the bait but I hope we stay away from him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Wasn't there a similar player called Maxi Gomez who used to play for Celta and was priced at 50+ m after one season ?

Edit -he plays for Valencia but he used to play for Celta when we were linked.

MattofManchester

He's not the right type of player. Lacking technically, and would be better suited to a counter attacking team.

Mainoldo

Let’s all hope it’s true. Arsenal can have him. We have enough technically deficient ballers as it is.

Andrew7582

He is similar to Lukaku in some ways, impressive physical attributes and can finish well, but technically very unrefined. Much better work rate than Lukaku though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally I'd be put off by the comments about his lack of technical ability.

However, I'm also concious of the fact that Ten Hag (according to various pieces I've read) may well prefer a more unrefined and physical style #9. While that's not the sort of striker I generally like, if ETH arrived and that fits his system then that's what we should get. Horses for courses and all that.

Haven't seen enough of Nunez to even really know how he'd fare in that Haller role either, mind. I just wouldn't be surprised if (assuming ETH is the manager) we opt for a striker who isn't particularly outstanding technically.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I say we stop theorizing about transfer businesses till we get our next permanent manager set in stone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also noted the below, which suggests he might offer quite a bit in terms of a pressing game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also noted the below, which suggests he might offer quite a bit in terms of a pressing game.

I don't know a lot about him, but it's actually very noticeable from watching his highlights, that he's relentless at applying pressure.

SparkedIntoLife

Sign Unnamed!

But yeah, Nunez is certainly excellent on the press. Weak technically though. I'd prefer us to sign Adeyemi and De Ketelaere combined for pretty much the 60m that Nunez is rumoured to cost.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Put it this way, i would rather have this guy than Martial up top.
It’s like saying you would rather spend £100 on working pen to write than a free broken pen. Worthy? Who knows.

Blood Mage

From what I've read about him he's quick and strong but quite average technically. Not ideal for a Ten Hag team maybe?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I saw a scouting video today with an extended segment on his link up play and it was genuinely horrible.

He’ll terrify defenses when running at them, especially when attacking into space, but terrify his teammates when playing with his back to goal or dropping into midfield.

afatzp

Another Fábio Silva at Wolves for me. Seems good on compilation clips and stats, but never as quality as it needs to make it in PL .

If anything, he should continue to develop at Benfica for another 2 years to refine his techniques, then the 60M price tag might make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.