Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSpud

Totally agree. People think a player will just come in and Replace Mane and Salah just like that. Playing a full season in the PL at full throttle is not many players can do!
Once hes on the PEDs and under Klopp's tutelage he will be banging them in.

Also the fee... they turned down 30m for Mane - they want between 40-45m which when used against this deal means Nunez will cost them about 40m which is about right for Liverpool!!

GlasgowCeltic

If it's true, you have to give Liverpool credit. They have long term replacements for Mane, Salah and Firmino (Nunez, Diaz and Jota) likely without breaking any salary caps, with minimum fuss and in a short space of time.

Meanwhile, United still haven't replaced Sanchez or Lukaku from Solskjaer's first Summer.
downgrades as a whole in fairness. won't be able to get away with a workmanlike midfield anymore. TAA will love Nunez though obviously

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm not particularly bothered about them signing him.

They can take that risk on blowing their whole budget on one big player. We need multiple players.

What bothers me is how the view of him as a player has now altered significantly.

The whole things smells of Jorge Mendes though, it wouldn't surprise me if we are actually in for him still :lol:

MUFC OK

I'm not particularly bothered about them signing him.

They can take that risk on blowing their whole budget on one big player. We need multiple players.

What bothers me is how the view of him as a player has now altered significantly.

The whole things smells of Jorge Mendes though, it wouldn't surprise me if we are actually in for him still :lol:
So, lets sign no one of actual quality - several 30m players and confirm our transition into Everton?

Rolaholic

I said it earlier but I really am dreading him becoming their Aguero :lol:, they wouldn't have spunked out a club record fee for him if Klopp didn't have a very clear idea of how to incorporate him.

Might start slowly but I fully expect him to become a monster for them once he gets a feel for the Prem

Seven Seas Sardines

Just be happy lads! I had a hopeful feeling this would happen when the dippers renewed both Milner and Keita after missing out on Tchouameni.

* Liverpool with an aging squad waste their budget on a dud
* We won't waste ours on someone who'd flop here
* More pressure mounting on United board
* Less competition for CMs like Sangaré and Bissouma

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
So, lets sign no one of actual quality - several 30m players and confirm our transition into Everton?
United PR machine has been talking about £100-120m readily available with midfield being the priority. 2+2 doesn't = Darwin Nunez this time...

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just be happy lads! I had a hopeful feeling this would happen when the dippers renewed both Milner and Keita after missing out on Tchouameni.

What makes you think Liverpool have spent their entire budget on Nunez? They could easily decide to reinforce elsewhere if need be.

Andrew7582

Don't do it to yourselves. You know full well that this guy isn't a Mane signing. He's going to be the first actual CF with real quallity they've signed. If anything, it's Firmino who ought to be concerned. Diaz was brought in nice and early to offset any Mane sale.
Firmino has been a fantastic player for them, his movement between the lines and vision has created loads of goals for the two wide players. Their wide players probably won't score as many with this guy up top, we will see how that works out for them overall if they are stronger or weaker.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
His touch looks a bit sloppy and I really don't think we need another player who might lose the ball. He has a cracking shot on him but that's not really our major problem at the moment.

I agree with the others that are saying that lots of people seem to be suddenly panicking because Liverpool are now linked to him. He'd probably score shitloads in that team but not ours, and spending the bulk of our budget on him this season whilst not addressing the glaring issues elsewhere would be a waste.

Bosws87

What makes you think Liverpool have spent their entire budget on Nunez? They could easily decide to reinforce elsewhere if need be.
Liverpool don't and haven't had the financial resources to compete with the big boys without generating huge sales for a decent time the educated guess would say this is the majority of their budget.

Thats ignoring the salary their star players are on as further evidence.

Seven Seas Sardines

Well they reportedly are happy with their defense, and the aforementioned contract renewals points towards no midfield signings. They might go for Pulisic if both Mane and Salah leave, but that's even better!

MUFC OK

Why do people think he'll flop? Because he isn't a fashionable false 9? And Sangare looks shocking btw.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not that bothered that we are not all in on Nunez. I'm more bothered that Liverpool appear able to identify their needs, match players to those profiles and go out and get those players quickly.

For years, Manchester United have needed a defensive midfielder. Not just any defensive midfielder either. We've needed someone like Carrick who can not only screen our defence but break the lines with his forward passing. For years we have not tried to sign that player. By all reports we still aren't trying to sign that player.

Now, I have great hopes for Jimmy Garner. On my most giddy days I think to myself James will become that Carrick replacement. BUT what if he doesn't?

I'm pretty sure De Jong's best under Ten Hag came playing next to Schone. So why are we spending all our time and effort chasing De Jong? Why haven't we been seriously linked with any attainable defensive midfielders? It seems like its Rice, Phillips or nothing, which is just a mad approach to me.

I think that's where the frustration comes from. Not that people desperately want Nunez but that people see our rivals filling gaps in their teams, while the holes in our team get bigger and bigger.

CraftySoAndSo

But I thought he was a DONKEY!!!!!

I'm loving this meltdown. :lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Still hasn't been officially confirmed yet by the way)
Yeah saw loads of compilations on twitter of him mis-controlling the ball and therefore supposedly being unfit for ETH football/overrated. Love how the narrative changes when now he's going to Liverpool.

He's scored 35 odd goals this season and performed in the CL - also players from Portugal traditionally fare well in England so it's a fantastic signing if you ask me.
From what i've seen of the last few pages of the people who don't want him it's been people saying he's good but not worth the money or they don't think he's good enough here. Not really seen any meltdown apart from those who desperately wanted him here instead.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Any signing is a risk. Be it Liverpool or United. It's just that we cannot afford to get wrong this time when our budget is only 120m and this guy will cost an arm and leg of it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Doesn't seem like a Liverpool move to me. They have built a title challenging team on mostly £30-40m players.
The season they turned into title challengers (17/18), was when they signed Alisson for £67m and £48m signing Keita arrived, just a few months after signing Van Dijk for £75m

Splashing the cash on one or two players is exactly the sort of thing they'd do, especially after securing Klopp's future last season, and knowing Mane is on his way out will make up some of the expenditure.

MUFC OK

We are actually heading for a Moyes summer. Funny to see our fans turning their noses up at some of the best prospects in Europe in favour of no credible alternatives. First window free of woodward and we've all been indoctrinated into the "no value in the market" adage.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Anyone who would want us to make an offer like that for him has not learnt anything in the past 10 years. Even if he lives up to the hype, we simply cannot afford that this summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But I thought he was a DONKEY!!!!!

I'm loving this meltdown. :lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Still hasn't been officially confirmed yet by the way)
Some fanbases are just like that. Lots of Chelsea fans don't rate Pulisic but the second he was linked with Liverpool they were all shitting themselves about his potential to be a superstar.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
We are actually heading for a Moyes summer. Funny to see our fans turning their noses up at some of the best prospects in Europe in favour of no credible alternatives. First window free of woodward and we've all been indoctrinated into the "no value in the market" adage.
Best prospect my arse. We’ve been the masters of overpaying for bang average players like him in the past, if anything I’m glad we’re moving away from that.

captaincantona

Pool are efficient bastards these days...the day after this guy is announced, Mane to Bayern for €50 million will be confirmed. They just get on with it...all business done before the window opens. Makes me sick

MUFC OK

Anyone who would want us to make an offer like that for him has not learnt anything in the past 10 years. Even if he lives up to the hype, we simply cannot afford that this summer.
Can you name me 4 or 5 30-40m signings that you know will be of the standard we require though? Top players cost top money.

We're coming off our worst season ever and also have 80m Pogba, 40m Matic, 37m Mata, an until this season thoroughly decent Cavani to replace. Not saying those players performed because they didnt but theyll still need replacing in the squad from what we should have had in them.

RedDevil@84

Buy Nunez for 80M and haggle over Mane price and sell him for 40M or even 50M. Good for Pool.

Devil_forever

Can you name me 4 or 5 30-40m signings that you know will be of the standard we require though? Top players cost top money.

We're coming off our worst season ever and also have 80m Pogba, 40m Matic, 37m Mata, an until this season thoroughly decent Cavani to replace. Not saying those players performed because they didnt but theyll still need replacing in the squad from what we should have had in them.
They need replacing in the squad for what exactly? What exactly are we losing here? Quite frankly their spaces in the squad should be replaced by youth players coming through.

We’ve had the most bloated squad in the league with larger numbers than Liverpool and city, what exactly did that achieve other than lots of unhappy players leaking stuff to the media as their playing time was limited.

I’ve never seen a fan base more obsessed with having a large squad even after seeing how awful a strategy that has been for us in recent years.

MUFC OK

Best prospect my arse. We’ve been the masters of overpaying for bang average players like him in the past, if anything I’m glad we’re moving away from that.
39 goals this season. "one of the best prospects my arse" my arse. :lol:

MUFC OK

They need replacing in the squad for what exactly? What exactly are we losing here? Quite frankly their spaces in the squad should be replaced by youth players coming through.

We’ve had the most bloated squad in the league with larger numbers than Liverpool and city, what exactly did that achieve other than lots of unhappy players leaking stuff to the media as their playing time was limited.

I’ve never seen a fan base more obsessed with having a large squad even after seeing how awful a strategy that has been for us in recent years.
They we're expected to have contributed a lot more than they did. They didnt and we had a catastrophic season.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not bothered on this one, its irrelevant who we have upfront when as a team we are incapable of movement or creating decent chances.

Way bigger issues to solve first like actually establishing an identity a style of play and a attacking system then throwing 100million euros at a young striker.

This is a last piece of a jigsaw signing we are way off that.
Exactly. Liverpool have earned the luxury of making 1 or 2 signings to add to the quality they've been bringing in over the last 4 or 5 years. We're at the opposite end of the scale, trying to build a squad that could compete.

As long as we make the right moves in midfield and defence I'll be happy enough.

Devil_forever

39 goals this season. "one of the best prospects my arse" my arse. :lol:
Portuguese league, give over. Mehdi Taremi has 20 goals and 12 assists and yer man Nunez has 26 goals and 4 assists. Yeah like I said you’re full of shit if he’s one of the best prospects.

We should be making a £60m bid for Taremi then after all he’s clearly more productive than one of the best prospects according to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.