Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthanksbye

I can't believe what I'm reading.

City hadn't won a trophy since 1970.

Liverpool won a single European Cup for the first time since the 1980s, and in spectacularly unexpected fashion all the way thru including in the final. An FA Cup a few years prior. In the league they were nearly 20 years shy of their last win.

Manchester United are not in terrific shape. But it's not ruins. I think you've let the negativity of the cafe and media as a whole get to you.

Chin up. Stay positive mate. The biggest problem - Woodward- has left the club, several squad members move on, and have the hottest prospect manager just join. This football project sells itself with your eyes closed and a CR7 cherry on top. Even LVG was bullish in the presser about that awful CEO being gone!
The moment City was bought, the date of their previous title became irrelevant to players. It's the fans who keep going on and on about history and past success, players look at the near future. It was clear that City is on an upward trajectory. Compare that to us, we've been in a mess since SAF left, even with ETH, there is no guarantee of anything improving anytime soon, even if you rate him as a manager, the number of things wrong with the club right now does make us unattractive to players, whether we like it or not as fans.

Ted Lasso

The moment City was bought, the date of their previous title became irrelevant to players. It's the fans who keep going on and on about history and past success, players look at the near future. It was clear that City is on an upward trajectory. Compare that to us, we've been in a mess since SAF left, even with ETH, there is no guarantee of anything improving anytime soon, even if you rate him as a manager, the number of things wrong with the club right now does make us unattractive to players, whether we like it or not as fans.
I thoroughly disagree. Not as a personal opinion but laughing remembering how Robinho thought he signed for Manchester United because he had no idea there was another team in the Manchester. City were nobodies. Chances are most of the world outside the UK thought United just got a new blue kit for a few seasons before realizing it was another club.

Let's also see who Newcastle sign this window.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
This is a pretty good point. The last two we had were Benteke and Carroll. It’ll be interesting to see how we adjust to it.
But Klopp didn’t sign those. His (and his scouts’) track record in the market is pretty uncontested in its precision. We’re at the point where it’s more likely to be another copper-bottomed success than a waste of time and money.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This looks to be dead in the water. Having never, to my knowledge, seen him play, I can't comment on that. I do think scoring goals in the Portuguese league is a very different matter from scoring them in PL. That said, Javier Hernandez came from nowhere and did it and I'll be very peed off if Nunez proves success at Liverpool (will he get much game time there even with Sane gone?)

kthanksbye

I thoroughly disagree. Not as a personal opinion but laughing remembering how Robinho thought he signed for Manchester United because he had no idea there was another team in the Manchester. City were nobodies. Chances are most of the world outside the UK thought United just got a new blue kit for a few seasons before realizing it was another club.

Let's also see who Newcastle sign this window.
But he did sign for them didn't he? In fact, imagine this, he didn't even know the club and they still manage to sign one of the most exciting young Brazilian talents in the world at that point. They didn't cheat him into signing for them, his agent obviously knew it was a good idea. It might have not worked out, but there was clear indications that City are going to be a force very soon.

Also, you're lying to yourself if you think there won't be an increase in the quality of players Newcastle will now be able to attract. Regardless of when they won their last title.

Last edited:

Ted Lasso

But he did sign for them didn't he? In fact, imagine this, he didn't even know the club and they still manage to sign one of the most exciting young Brazilian talents in the world at that point. They didn't cheat him into signing for them, his agent obviously knew it was a good idea. It might have not worked out, but there was clear indications that City are going to be a force very soon.

Also, you're lying to yourself if you think there won't be an increase in the quality of players Newcastle will now be able to attract. Regardless of when they won their last title.
It's occurred to me where on the same side of the discussion at hand. The context here is another poster saying United are in such tatters as to be unable to attract top talent. My argument was that City as an example of a club with little to show for several decades was in fact able to.

you definitely agree. I think the difference in opinion here is not the actual recruitment but how we view the clubs. You're coming at it as an exciting project. I'm saying City was a terrible mid-bottom.table club for the better part of several generations that then brought in players of a different status due to the popularity of the league made popular by clubs not named City and also the financial draw of overpaying players to join a club with no genuine presence outside of the city of Manchester.

so we agree - if a nothing club like City can attract top talent as they did, it should be no issue for United who are starting their own new project from a much better footballing status than city were at the time.

by the way, if you are a City fan, and I am getting serious hints you are, I apologize if I've offended with my description of the club. It's hyperbole and I respect even the smallest of local clubs. And frankly the oil money has been put to good use and makes for a good business case study.

as for Newcastle, we will have to see. I think their "project" depends on this next season and if they can bring in a better manager than Howe. They've got a couple decent signings already like that midfielder from Lyon. But again I think the draw is for the premier league rather than the team specifically. It's also hard to say when a talent like Neves goes to Wolves and plays in the championship.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Deal pretty much done.

80M +20M for objectives

I hope he flops. Everything is being based off one season. I’ve never seen a club sell so many flops For such high amount of money.
Liverpool haven’t done well with technically limited players in the number 9 position in the past. We will see boys.

For that money I would not be mad at missing out on him especially with Benfica’s track record
Please tell me what 'flops' Benfica have managed to cash in on? Their record is outstanding, don't know what you're on about.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Please tell me what 'flops' Benfica have managed to cash in on? Their record is outstanding, don't know what you're on about.
Felix? Renato?

The ones who have been outstanding successes went for way less and reasonable fees. Bernardo, Cancelo, Dias.

Anything that is way too hyped out of them like Felix and like renato that clubs shelled out 100M after 1 season (ala darwin) were fails.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeh. He got nothing on Richarlison.
Richarlison is quite good. But not as a starter at a big club. He'd be a handy squad player if he was reasonably priced.

Not sure what Nunez has to do with an Everton player though

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Felix? Renato?

The ones who have been outstanding successes went for way less and reasonable fees. Bernardo, Cancelo, Dias.

Anything that is way too hyped out of them like Felix and like renato that clubs shelled out 100M after 1 season (ala darwin) were fails.
Felix isn't a flop. He's playing in side that doesn't particularly suit his style but it's evident watching him that he's still an outstanding player. Put him in Man City's team for example and I think he'd be universally regarded as a top 10-ish player in the world.

Likewise Sanches is clearly still a good player. Went to Bayern too early and couldn't force his way in to their very strong midfield, but has rejuvenated his career at Lille and shown he has the quality to play at the top level. Been linked with plenty of Europe's elite since they won the league.

Dias, Jimenez, De Tomas, Ederson all went for bigger fees and have been successful. Even Jovic was great at Frankfurt.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mixed bag I'd say. They're okay-ish, but they definitely seem to have a bit of a premium on their sales (probably leading to such a large fee for Nunez). Looking at their top 15 departures according to Transfermarkt (and fees):

• Felix to Altetico - miss considering the insane transfer fee;
  • Dias to City - hit;
  • Ederson to City - hit;
  • Witsel to Zenit - meh? Apparently it was £36m in 2012/13, which is a bit crazy;
  • Raul Jimenez to Wolves - hit, I guess? Decent level striker for Wolves but they did pay £34m for him too;
  • Semedo to Barcelona - miss;
  • Lindelof to United - miss, he's pretty average and has never completely won his spot;
  • Renato to Bayern - miss;
  • Di Maria to Madrid - hit;
  • Coentrao to Madrid - miss, they paid £27m for him as well;
  • Rodrigo to Valencia - miss? Not really sure on that one;
  • Guedes to PSG - miss;
  • Gaitan to Atletico - miss, but living legend in the Transfer forum;
  • Matic to Chelsea - hit;
  • Markovic to Liverpool - miss.

SportingCP96

Supports
Felix isn't a flop. He's playing in side that doesn't particularly suit his style but it's evident watching him that he's still an outstanding player. Put him in Man City's team for example and I think he'd be universally regarded as a top 10-ish player in the world.

Likewise Sanches is clearly still a good player. Went to Bayern too early and couldn't force his way in to their very strong midfield, but has rejuvenated his career at Lille and shown he has the quality to play at the top level. Been linked with plenty of Europe's elite since they won the league.

Dias, Jimenez, De Tomas, Ederson all went for bigger fees and have been successful. Even Jovic was great at Frankfurt.
If atlético and Bayern could go back they would never pay the money they did for those two. That’s my point. For the money they paid they were both astronomical flops.

I agree Felix in City would be very good but that’s not the point I’m making.

All those other guys you mentioned went for normal market fees.

Once again I am talking about these hyped up one season wonders who go for absurd unjustified fees. They are currently 0/2

You even include Andre Gomes and Nelson semedo who went to Barca very hyped and are rubbish players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

GIven the fee its a flop

SportingCP96

Supports
Mixed bag I'd say. They're okay-ish, but they definitely seem to have a bit of a premium on their sales (probably leading to such a large fee for Nunez). Looking at their top 15 departures according to Transfermarkt (and fees):

• Dias to City - hit;
  • Ederson to City - hit;
  • Witsel to Zenit - meh? Apparently it was £36m in 2012/13, which is a bit crazy;
  • Raul Jimenez to Wolves - hit, I guess? Decent level striker for Wolves but they did pay £34m for him too;
  • Lindelof to United - miss, he's pretty average and has never completely won his spot;
  • Guedes to PSG - miss;
Don’t forget Andre Gomes and semedo. The Portuguese media was loving those two

Portuguese media does a great job at hyping up Benfica players.

I remember the headlines for Nelson Oliveira snd Ivan Cavaleiro.

Just yesterday they reported Benfica “rejected” 40M for a youth player (Araujo) ….. a fecking youth player…. It’s the biggest bs ever and people eat it up

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don’t forget Andre Gomes and semedo. The Portuguese media was loving those two
Semedo is in there, but Andre Gomes went to Valencia first for like 15-20m I think (and he was okay?). It was then a subsequent move from Valencia to Barca that he flopped, wasn’t it?

SportingCP96

Supports
Semedo is in there, but Andre Gomes went to Valencia first for like 15-20m I think (and he was okay?). It was then a subsequent move from Valencia to Barca that he flopped, wasn’t it?
That is correct, he went to Valencia first! I completely forgot he went their. That was like a blip in the matrix for me

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

• Dias to City - hit;
  • Ederson to City - hit;
  • Guedes to PSG - miss;
Ramires to Chelsea - hit
David Luiz to Chelsea - hit
Andre Gomes to Valencia - hit
Jovic to Frankfurt - hit
Simao - Atletico Madrid - hit (though we're going back 15 years with this one but he was 20th on the list)

That's the top 20 most expensive sales with 10 hits.

Last edited:

kthanksbye

It's occurred to me where on the same side of the discussion at hand. The context here is another poster saying United are in such tatters as to be unable to attract top talent. My argument was that City as an example of a club with little to show for several decades was in fact able to.

you definitely agree. I think the difference in opinion here is not the actual recruitment but how we view the clubs. You're coming at it as an exciting project. I'm saying City was a terrible mid-bottom.table club for the better part of several generations that then brought in players of a different status due to the popularity of the league made popular by clubs not named City and also the financial draw of overpaying players to join a club with no genuine presence outside of the city of Manchester.

so we agree - if a nothing club like City can attract top talent as they did, it should be no issue for United who are starting their own new project from a much better footballing status than city were at the time.

by the way, if you are a City fan, and I am getting serious hints you are, I apologize if I've offended with my description of the club. It's hyperbole and I respect even the smallest of local clubs. And frankly the oil money has been put to good use and makes for a good business case study.

as for Newcastle, we will have to see. I think their "project" depends on this next season and if they can bring in a better manager than Howe. They've got a couple decent signings already like that midfielder from Lyon. But again I think the draw is for the premier league rather than the team specifically. It's also hard to say when a talent like Neves goes to Wolves and plays in the championship.
We're obviously not in "tatters", that's hyperbolic, but it can't be argued that we're not as attractive as a club as we should be, considering we're the most successful team in England. Which is why I said City's past success didn't matter back then, just like our success is irrelevant at this point.

Oh yes, City's growth had nothing to do with what they were historically, but it was still an exciting prospect for players not long after the take over.

No, I'm not a city fan, I just don't get intimidated by city, I don't think they're relevant, I'm able to give them credit where it's due because I feel any success they taste will always be hollow and empty.

Newcastle will be interesting to follow, they've seen Chelsea, City, PSG and the mistakes they've made, they have all the information they need available to them. I think they're going to be a lot smarter and their progress will be more constant than these 3. They won't be throwing crazy money at superstars on a regular basis, but they will be making a few statement signings. Someone like Bale would be a smart option to them.

We've digressed.

big_jeffstar

Nope - only wants to join Barca.
how do you know? because some twitter experts told you so? and do you not think you'd be better placed to tempt him.. being recent champions league winners, runners up to the prem etc..loads of players may have their heart set on a certain club before actually moving somewhere else. seems like a lot of excuses to me, you asked for an obtainable player who was better than Nunez, like there weren't any, but there is. If you don't think Liverpool are tempting enough for said players then that's your problem

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That summary makes sense and is believable, rather than all this other stuff floating around.
So what did Utd initially think, that he would be available for €40m?

I'd say it's equally plausible that you were interested but Nunez wasn't interested in a non-CL team at the moment, since he knew CL teams were interested as well (Atlético, Liverpool).

diarm

Looking forward to the "Nunez signs for Liverpool for £8 a week and a fornightly mustache ride off Klopp" headlines.

Remember the geese

I'd say it's equally plausible that you were interested but Nunez wasn't interested in a non-CL team at the moment, since he knew CL teams were interested as well (Atlético, Liverpool).
We obviously had a figure in mind. Possibly €60m. I believe that Nunez would have happily signed for us. Certainly over Atletico, but perhaps not Liverpool.

Davie Moyes

Possibly true but like has been mentioned on here by the majority, at the quoted prices not a priority for Utd. As we have so many other positions that need strengthening first.

What I meant about the stuff I'm finding it hard to believe is all this Ten Hag flying out to meet his agent and also Liverpool suddenly just arriving on the scene to agree a deal in space of 24 hours. These things mostly take time. Utd would have known weeks ago whether Nunez was interested or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.