Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So what did Utd initially think, that he would be available for €40m?

I'd say it's equally plausible that you were interested but Nunez wasn't interested in a non-CL team at the moment, since he knew CL teams were interested as well (Atlético, Liverpool).
Our budget is rumored to be 120m + sales. We are no way going to spend 80m on a striker above midfield.

diarm

So what did Utd initially think, that he would be available for €40m?

I'd say it's equally plausible that you were interested but Nunez wasn't interested in a non-CL team at the moment, since he knew CL teams were interested as well (Atlético, Liverpool).
I'd say the only reason he was even talking to us, was to let Liverpool know their Daniel Levy style minimum wage nonsense wasn't going to cut it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Our budget is rumored to be 120m + sales. We are no way going to spend 80m on a striker above midfield.
Didn't know that, thought you had double that amount available like you used to have. That means only two, max three additions for the entire summer though if you bring in De Jong for around €80m, not exactly the squad overhaul like many on here seem to want? Although of course he'd be an excellent addition to your midfield.

I'd say the only reason he was even talking to us, was to let Liverpool know their Daniel Levy style minimum wage nonsense wasn't going to cut it.
Could be wrong of course but I think he'll earn something like €100-130k per week at Liverpool if he joins us. If it's above €150k or so he'd immediately become one of our top earners.

diarm

Could be wrong of course but I think he'll earn something like €100-130k per week at Liverpool if he joins us. If it's above €150k or so he'd immediately become one of our top earners.
Will be great business if you can get that done. I'm not sure how you keep getting away with spending 20m wages on 100m players but then again, I imagine all that new asthma medication won't come cheap.

Bosws87

Will be great business if you can get that done. I'm not sure how you keep getting away with spending 20m wages on 100m players but then again, I imagine all that new asthma medication won't come cheap.
Because they are being taken to the cleaners on the fee here, once klopp goes this whole thing crumbles.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If all your transfers are done in installments, surely at some point you will get in financial difficulties if you have a pile of money going out to pay for “old” transfers

SeanyC

I’m sorry but 100mill for a guy who’s only produced in one season is ridiculous! Portuguese league as well. He may well turn out to be brilliant, especially the way Kloop coaches but we have Ronaldo and if we can get the right players for midfield and defensive where there is more of a need, and play the right way, Ronaldo is banging in 20+ goals again next season, hell, even Rashford could come good again.

If we are really desperate for a forward go find someone who can contribute 10/15 goals, perhaps Martinez from Inter (just speculating) here. But first things first, midfield and defensive needs sorting.

Giggsy13

If letting Nunez go to the scousers means we’ll get Nkunku next season then I’m not even concerned about this. Getting De Jong for our midfield will add more much more to our team than Nunez would at the moment.

peridigm

I’m sorry but 100mill for a guy who’s only produced in one season is ridiculous! Portuguese league as well. He may well turn out to be brilliant, especially the way Kloop coaches but we have Ronaldo and if we can get the right players for midfield and defensive where there is more of a need, and play the right way, Ronaldo is banging in 20+ goals again next season, hell, even Rashford could come good again.

If we are really desperate for a forward go find someone who can contribute 10/15 goals, perhaps Martinez from Inter (just speculating) here. But first things first, midfield and defensive needs sorting.
Who was their last big money sale? Felix? He went for 120m+ euros. He's scored 9, 13, and 9 goals per season since that move.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Who was their last big money sale? Felix? He went for 120m+ euros. He's scored 9, 13, and 9 goals per season since that move.
Ruben Dias to City for £61m two years after Felix.

Luis Diaz actually also only "produced in one season", and that was the first part of the 21/22 season. The two full seasons before that he had 6 goals and 5 assists in both seasons, not exactly great stats.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If all your transfers are done in installments, surely at some point you will get in financial difficulties if you have a pile of money going out to pay for “old” transfers
You're clearly not thinking about the "clever" accounting of re-signing the likes of Jones, to make it look like we have another 30m asset on the books.

Hughie77

I really do think that we need to hope that all charges against Greenwood get dropped. It wouldn’t surprise me if the club are hoping the same.
Agree he is or was UTDs future striker and to now maybe have to spend £80M on a striker when UTD already got one in Greenwood is a issue they could not predict.

TOKUGAWA-X

Both Liverpool and City will be more confident in CL decisive games thanks to their new pure CFs.

Real Madrid almost won 99% the CL thanks to a lethal CF.

The "no need for 9, we have lots of creative midfielders and wingers" experiment failed in the big stage.

Pep and Klopp got it quickly, thas why theyre the 2 top managers in the world.

Red Royal

I really do think that we need to hope that all charges against Greenwood get dropped. It wouldn’t surprise me if the club are hoping the same.
Even if they do, would be uncomfortable to see him in a United shirt (unless he can clearly prove it was all fabricated)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Richarlison is quite good. But not as a starter at a big club. He'd be a handy squad player if he was reasonably priced.

Not sure what Nunez has to do with an Everton player though
It was one of my dry jokes, man. Just like that Benzema vibe post also.

Agreed, obviously Benzema at Lyon showed way more talent than Nunez is. Benz was like when I saw Lewa at Dortmund, an almost perfect no. 9.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
I very much doubt Liverpool is signing this guy based off 1 season. They have a great scouting/statistics department that surely has analyzed pretty much his entire career.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ruben Dias to City for £61m two years after Felix.

Luis Diaz actually also only "produced in one season", and that was the first part of the 21/22 season. The two full seasons before that he had 6 goals and 5 assists in both seasons, not exactly great stats.
Diaz still has a lot to prove. I wouldn't call him as a success yet.

iamking

If letting Nunez go to the scousers means we’ll get Nkunku next season then I’m not even concerned about this. Getting De Jong for our midfield will add more much more to our team than Nunez would at the moment.
So wish this happens.. but looks like they might replace Salah with Nkunku, considering their history with Red Bulls.. As incredible as Ronaldo is, I think signing him back was a bad decision. Without Ronaldo, we might have had a chance with quality No 9s this window.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn't know that, thought you had double that amount available like you used to have. That means only two, max three additions for the entire summer though if you bring in De Jong for around €80m, not exactly the squad overhaul like many on here seem to want? Although of course he'd be an excellent addition to your midfield.

The fee for Frenkie seems more like £50-60m max which would be more like it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So I've watched some clips. He looks surprisingly (both Uruguayan too) similar to Cavani in style.

Trophy Room

He’s less of a risky buy for Liverpool. They are an established team with confidence and a great coach. I remember the underwhelming comments when they signed Salah.

RedGirl96

He’s less of a risky buy for Liverpool. They are an established team with confidence and a great coach. I remember the underwhelming comments when they signed Salah.
He´ll be coached by the maker of the "Lewa". Nothing they do seems to go wrong these days..

iamking

Fair to say this bloke doesn’t rate him.
Another Andy Carrol would be Hillarious.. But Kloppo doesn't do Carrols anymore... Those golden days are over. Suarez referred this guy to Barcelona.. And this "expert" fan says he knows better... Pool has a world class Data Science team behind their recruitment. Can't see the last time they have failed. Karius seems the only one, and his problem was beyond Data. Even Minamino has picked it up last season and looks better than most of what we have. Our only hope is to get to CL next season and rope in Nkunku, (unless Pool has wrapped him up already to replace Salah).

Silverman

Whether we wanted him or not, we cant afford to spend that much on a position that isn't midfield imo. We need De Jong and a DM. Followed closely by a CB imo.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Another Andy Carrol would be Hillarious.. But Kloppo doesn't do Carrols anymore... Those golden days are over. Suarez referred this guy to Barcelona.. And this "expert" fan says he knows better... Pool has a world class Data Science team behind their recruitment. Can't see the last time they have failed. Karius seems the only one, and his problem was beyond Data. Even Minamino has picked it up last season and looks better than most of what we have. Our only hope is to get to CL next season and rope in Nkunku, (unless Pool has wrapped him up already to replace Salah).
I won't put too much weight on player recommendations, we as united fans should know better.
Their scouts indeed seem to be excellent, but everyone's got a dud pr two in them, let's hope he's one of those.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dunno, but Keita hasn't exactly been stellar.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The only place he will go this season is Liverpool if Mane leaves. It just makes too much sense. Striker is very expensive this summer. I read it costs PSG 100m sign on fee to get Mbappe extends his contract for 3 years.

Smores

We were never in it. According to Andy Mitten, the whole story came from the player's agent.
That's just the usual briefing every time we get overlooked by a player. Do people really buy the we never wanted him anyway excuse.

izec

That's just the usual briefing every time we get overlooked by a player. Do people really buy the we never wanted him anyway excuse.
I think we looked at him in detail weeks or days ago, but deemed too expensive and trying to convince another player to join us without CL to time intensive, when we are chasing De Jong for 80m and he is obviously a higher priority. We wont spend 2x 80m on two players this summer.

I dont buy that we are interested for the fees branded about currently.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Of course there was interest and we were talking to his agent as we will be for numerous player - but there’s no way we wanted him for the price he’s going for - we have far too much to do this summer to spend 80m on a player who only plays where Ronaldo does.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Really hope this guy flopps for Liverpool. Can’t see him having the same impact as mane does though. Saying that they do create a lot of chances and Nunez will more then likely put them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.