Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I wonder how much of it is due to Mendes peddling the prices and using his connections and stranger that clubs keep buying from them again.
At least Felix seems to have potential for the future but Renato was just a bizarre choice.
Felix I like, he’s clearly talented but the price tag especially at the time was absurd.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Barcelona defence hated him but I must say, his technical level looks pretty atrocious.

Those stepovers before his goal were worse than Phil Neville’s!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Barcelona defence hated him but I must say, his technical level looks pretty atrocious.

Those stepovers before his goal were worse than Phil Neville’s!
:lol: he scored though so who cares right?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Unconvinced from clips I've seen. Clumsy but effective in a terrible league.

Rolaholic

Not a terrible league. How many success stories from that league in the prem recently? Arguably more than any other.
Bruno, Dias, Jota, Ederson, Neves, Patricio, Pereira, Moutinho, Neto to name a few

Definitely one of the better success rates in the Premier League for a foreign league along with Ligue 1 and La Liga.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Somebody in here described him as 'pressing Lukaku', and unfortunately that's looking pretty close to the mark the more I see of him.

Lukaku would score about 40 a season in the Portuguese league as well. I'm hoping we go for someone with a bit more to their game than just the finish.

UTD_Since_1978

There's plusses & minuses, I'm not entirely convinced, so it's a "no" from me. I don't mind a hit & hope at around the £30m mark but not at the prices I've seen quoted.

PoTMS

The best player in the league Diaz goes for £37.5m (+£12m in add-ons) and this guy is linked to us and we're being quoted £65m. What a fecking joke.

SportingCP96

Supports
There's plusses & minuses, I'm not entirely convinced, so it's a "no" from me. I don't mind a hit & hope at around the £30m mark but not at the prices I've seen quoted.
This pretty much sums him up.

Let me give another example. Jonas who is a Benfica legend was 10x the player Darwin is in Portugal and he was in his thirties and would flop in England. Any Benfica fan would say Jonas is better then Darwin.

I feel Darwin would fall in into Benficas long long list of overhyped and over priced players. How can we ever forget the great Nico Gaitan (sarcasm).

Thiagoal

He’s one of those players that isn’t easy on the eye; looks clumsy and awkward but actually is very effective! I’d much rather that than some of the show ponies we’ve bought over the last ten years!

SportingCP96

Supports
The best player in the league Diaz goes for £37.5m (+£12m in add-ons) and this guy is linked to us and we're being quoted £65m. What a fecking joke.
You can probably get a guy like Pedro Gonçalves for less then Darwin.

14 goals and 10 assists this season and 23 goals last season.

Hell I’ll even throw you another name you will hear soon for free.

Manuel Ugarte (21 years old) the guy who has basically taken Palhinhas spot and is the reasons Sporting is willing to sell Palha now.

Hell even and Porto their are two young kids I like.

In conclusion you can get much better quality for 80M.

Don’t fall into the trap atlético and Bayern fell into.

SportingCP96

Supports
To be fair Porto are broke and you can probably find their president in a nearby ally in Porto sucking someone off for money to pay the salary for his players.

Or you can find him doing the same thing to referees before the matches.

dinostar77

Thats Portuguese press for you. He will probably go to someone for £50mil or less.

PoTMS

To be fair Porto are broke and you can probably find their president in a nearby ally in Porto sucking someone off for money to pay the salary for his players.

:lol:

Irrational.

If we sign him we’ve learned nothing from the Lukaku deal. A battering ram who shins balls and is unable to control the service into them (especially from the creative players we have) would be useless to us.

If we sign a forward he has to be technically excellent with good ball control. At the moment we have no one that can trap a ball in the way that Rooney, RvP and Berbatov used to.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Despite that they still rejected Spurs’ offer, Levy the cheapskate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we sign him we’ve learned nothing from the Lukaku deal. A battering ram who shins balls and is unable to control the service into them (especially from the creative players we have) would be useless to us.

If we sign a forward he has to be technically excellent with good ball control. At the moment we have no one that can trap a ball in the way that Rooney, RvP and Berbatov used to.
Would you sign Haaland?

Rolaholic

Nkunku

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This pretty much sums him up.

Let me give another example. Jonas who is a Benfica legend was 10x the player Darwin is in Portugal and he was in his thirties and would flop in England. Any Benfica fan would say Jonas is better then Darwin.

I feel Darwin would fall in into Benficas long long list of overhyped and over priced players. How can we ever forget the great Nico Gaitan (sarcasm).
Do they have a strong hype machine over there? They keep pulling this stuff out, I believe they made about a billion from their departures in the past decade which simply is mind boggling hell they did it with us as well with Lindelof.
They're so god damn effective.

SportingCP96

Supports
What’s your thoughts on Evanilson?
Has some interesting numbers but is still a little raw for any sort of big move, seems like a player that would perform pretty well in Leeds.

The truth is our league does not have the same quality of strikers it has had in years gone by.

A lot of our best talents in the league are in the midfield and the defense.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can probably get a guy like Pedro Gonçalves for less then Darwin.

14 goals and 10 assists this season and 23 goals last season.

Hell I’ll even throw you another name you will hear soon for free.

Manuel Ugarte (21 years old) the guy who has basically taken Palhinhas spot and is the reasons Sporting is willing to sell Palha now.

Hell even and Porto their are two young kids I like.

In conclusion you can get much better quality for 80M.

Don’t fall into the trap atlético and Bayern fell into.
Sporting players = good
Everyone else in Portugal = bad

OleGunnar20

This. Even if the 80m gambles go right, we'd never be able to rebuild the squad in time relying on them.

We need to use our heads, spend the money wisely on a few 30-50m players at the right age, just like City and Liverpool have done.

SportingCP96

Supports
Do they have a strong hype machine over there? They keep pulling this stuff out, I believe the made about a billion frome their departures in the past decade which simply is mind boggling hell they did it with us as well with Lindelof.
They're so god damn effective.
The Portuguese media is the problems Becsuse they are the most supported club in Portugal.

For example of a Benfica youth player scored a goal or is performing well he will be on the front pages for weeks.

It’s like the saying throw enough shit on the wall and some of it will stick. They tried this with Nelson Oliveira , André Gomes, and others. They leak out false interest to drive the price up and then if your someone from another country and look at news papers or articles you see those guys names plastered all over.

They have wanted especially recently to be known as the best academy in Portugal even though the best Portuguese talents have historically and almost always come from the other side of Lisbon. They also want to have the best and biggest players but historically Porto have been the ones with that (Hill, James, Falcão, Jackson, Lucho, Lisandro, Moutinho, etc).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Again, Benfica bought this guy for 20m and the club they bought him from have a 20% sell-on clause. Why the feck would they let him go so cheap? The market is bereft.
Somebody in here described him as 'pressing Lukaku', and unfortunately that's looking pretty close to the mark the more I see of him.

Lukaku would score about 40 a season in the Portuguese league as well. I'm hoping we go for someone with a bit more to their game than just the finish.
Not that I disagree, but who? The no.9 well is super dry right now. Juventus snapped up Vlahovic in January who had question marks and he cost them around 65m. We’re not an option for Haaland and Mbappe.

After that, you’re looking at total stabs in a dim room like Nunez who seems good statwise but debatable ability wise; Richarlison who has never scored more than 11 league goals in the PL; Jonathan David who’s never broken past low 10’s in either France or Belgium etc etc. it’s not a great market.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The Portuguese media is the problems Becsuse they are the most supported club in Portugal.

For example of a Benfica youth player scored a goal or is performing well he will be on the front pages for weeks.

It’s like the saying throw enough shit on the wall and some of it will stick. They tried this with Nelson Oliveira , André Gomes, and others. They leak out false interest to drive the price up and then if your someone from another country and look at news papers or articles you see those guys names plastered all over.

They have wanted especially recently to be known as the best academy in Portugal even though the best Portuguese talents have historically and almost always come from the other side of Lisbon. They also want to have the best and biggest players but historically Porto have been the ones with that (Hill, James, Falcão, Jackson, Lucho, Lisandro, Moutinho, etc).
I wish we were as efficient as those bastards are at selling their meat but to be fair they have that 60s side which has a claim to being one of the greatest footballing sides of all time (what was it 5 european finals in a decade?).

Anderson_7_

You summed it up nicely. It's a big fat no from me.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting players = good
Everyone else in Portugal = bad
Not true at all actually.

Vitinha and Fabio Vieira from Porto are brilliant players which I rate pretty highly.
Diogo Costa Is a young keeper who I think will be the starting keeper in Portugal for years.

Braga as well have some very talented youngsters I would gladly take at Sporting.

Luis Diaz is another player I held in very high regard before his move.

The truth of the matter is up until last season Bruno Fernandes was the player we have had in a long time with any sort of quality.

Due to our scouting academy and signings we have produced and bought some big talents in the league which is why I would say for maybe the first time as long as I can remember we have the best squad in the country with a lot of top talent but that was not always the case.

When Joao Felix was at Benfica I was the first one to make a thread on him in the forum. A sporting fan……

So despite my hate for the other two cnuts I have been (in my view) pretty fair when assessing Portuguese talents or talents from our league and I have “Hit” on a lot more then I have got wrong.

For example Ruben Dias has had a career progression not many in Portugal have expected including me but I can sus today he is a fantastic player.

Anyone who has followed my scouting reports for years on Portuguese talents can say I have been a fair assessor. Or maybe I’m wrong if that’s the case then I guess someone can tell me.

Benfica and Porto do not have the squads they have had in the past. The talent pool has dried up a lot.

SportingCP96

Supports
I wish we were as efficient as those bastards are at selling their meat but to be fair they have that 60s side which has a claim to being one of the greatest footballing sides of all time (what was it 5 european finals in a decade?).
Yep brilliant side they were.

To think we should have had Eusébio who was playing for one of Sporting’s affiliated clubs. We were the ones who discovered Eusebio and offered him a trial at the club. We were by far the best club in the country at the time.

Eusébio stated that he was better then our best player (he was) and refused a trial signing for Benfica instead.

To think that the 3 greatest Portuguese players of all time would have played in Sporting is insane.

Still 2/3 ain’t too bad.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yep brilliant side they were.

To think we should have had Eusébio who was playing for one of Sporting’s affiliated clubs. We were the ones who discovered Eusebio and offered him a trial at the club. We were by far the best club in the country at the time.

Eusébio stated that he was better then our best player (he was) and refused a trial signing for Benfica instead.

To think that the 3 greatest Portuguese players of all time would have played in Sporting is insane.

Still 2/3 ain’t too bad.
Not a bad run by you guys either, keep it up and maybe you produced another :D (great academy to be fair)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not that I disagree, but who? The no.9 well is super dry right now. Juventus snapped up Vlahovic in January who had question marks and he cost them around 65m. We’re not an option for Haaland and Mbappe.

After that, you’re looking at total stabs in a dim room like Nunez who seems good statwise but debatable ability wise; Richarlison who has never scored more than 11 league goals in the PL; Jonathan David who’s never broken past low 10’s in either France or Belgium etc etc. it’s not a great market.
Yep. Other names I've seen mentioned are DCL, Ivan Toney, Raul Jimenez, Scamacca, Armando Broja, Tammy Abraham etc.

I'm sure among all those CFs one or two would prove to be quality signings just by sheer weight of chance. But I'm also sure the others are a mix of not good enough, not suited to what we want, overpriced or outright unavailable. And I have feck all idea which is which.

Hope our scouts are able to figure out what to do. :nervous:

Swedish_Plumber

I have no idea who he is and how good he is. What I will say is we need a CF who scores consistently and can make the ball stick to him and bring others into play.

Harry Kane brings you both. Firmino presses like a madman and his link up play the last few years has lifted Liverpool greatly. Someone in between them would be fantastic for us.

Someone likeable too preferably.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep. Other names I've seen mentioned are DCL, Ivan Toney, Raul Jimenez, Scamacca, Armando Broja, Tammy Abraham etc.

I'm sure among all those CFs one or two would prove to be quality signings just by sheer weight of chance. But I'm also sure the others are a mix of not good enough, not suited to what we want, overpriced or outright unavailable. And I have feck all idea which is which.

Hope our scouts are able to figure out what to do. :nervous:
The purist in me is becoming more intrigued by Felix. I think he can grow into something really special, and a proper all round forward with high technical ability.

There really isn’t much out there though. Which is part of the reason why the club will likely not make any hasty decision on MG. If he walks in court they will try and rescue that, because there probably isn’t a better young forward available than him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have no idea who he is and how good he is. What I will say is we need a CF who scores consistently and can make the ball stick to him and bring others into play.

Harry Kane brings you both. Firmino presses like a madman and his link up play the last few years has lifted Liverpool greatly. Someone in between them would be fantastic for us.

Someone likeable too preferably.
Felix.

SportingCP96

Supports
The purist in me is becoming more intrigued by Felix. I think he can grow into something really special, and a proper all round forward with high technical ability.

There really isn’t much out there though. Which is part of the reason why the club will likely not make any hasty decision on MG. If he walks in court they will try and rescue that, because there probably isn’t a better young forward available than him.
I think Felix in the CF for Man City would be the perfect fit in their puzzle. I wonder what Pep would get his level to be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Felix in the CF for Man City would be the perfect fit in their puzzle. I wonder what Pep would get his level to be.
He would. But I’d like to see us move away from this notion that players who have ability are City types and not United types of footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.