Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He would. But I’d like to see us move away from this notion that players who have ability are City types and not United types of footballers.
When we start playing serious football I guess we will again.

Unfortunately we are seen as a bit of a joke these days.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When we start playing serious football I guess we will again.

Unfortunately we are seen as a bit of a joke these days.
It’s double edged though as we won’t start playing serious football without the right profile of footballer. I think if we hire a progressive coach (looks like we will) who wants to play the right way - Felix can be a real star.

Adam-Utd

It’s double edged though as we won’t start playing serious football without the right profile of footballer. I think if we hire a progressive coach (looks like we will) who wants to play the right way - Felix can be a real star.
think we have bigger issues to sort before we get somebody like felix personally, but yes if he became available of course it would be nice.

The issue is we wouldn’t be at the top of the queue anymore just like we aren’t for haaland.

we need to aim for the next felix/haaland before they get too big. I think Nunez will be the right move.

Rolaholic

Would heavily prefer him over Nunez.

Simeone is wasting that lad.
Felix has all the talent in the world but Atletico won't let him go for cheap after spending 120m on him as a teen.

Feel like he's got City or Barcelona written all over him

croadyman

With Raiola as his agent - no.

Without Raiola - yes as he seems to be a footballing anomaly and has freakishly good attributes for his age (and wanting to see him link up with Sancho again).
Yeah shame he's controlled by that troublemaker

EtH

Why would we want this guy ? Severely limited. Would be a better fit for Leeds.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
How does dumb af demonstrate? On or off the pitch?
On the pitch. He is not good at linking play and is careless with his passing

But has all the potential to be a top striker. I think the comparisons with Cavani are fair

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
80m? No thanks

May give it a try as backup at 30m though
He already cost Benfica around that sum

I don't see us letting him go for less than 60m, especially given that a substantial part of the profit (press says 20%) will go to his former club (Almeria)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He looks very careless on the ball, no way near worth that money

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I know it's a lazy comparison given they are both Uruguayan but this guy really does remind me of Cavani.

Not the greatest technically, but seems to have natural finishing instincts, brilliant off-the-ball movement, good physicality and he works hard on and off the ball.

The Atletico links make sense. He's exactly the type of striker they'd buy and suits their system to a tee. If you want to play tiki-taka style football then he might not.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He already cost Benfica around that sum

I don't see us letting him go for less than 60m, especially given that a substantial part of the profit (press says 20%) will go to his former club (Almeria)
Well just save up the money for another player then. Have had enough for spending a lot on average player.

Giggsy13

Well we need a striker and we aren’t going to be getting the likes of Haaland, so this is a very good option even at that price.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I know it's a lazy comparison given they are both Uruguayan but this guy really does remind me of Cavani.

Not the greatest technically, but seems to have natural finishing instincts, brilliant off-the-ball movement, good physicality and he works hard on and off the ball.

The Atletico links make sense. He's exactly the type of striker they'd buy and suits their system to a tee. If you want to play tiki-taka style football then he might not.
More like Cavani than he is Forlan or Suarez so I think you should get away with it.

Ed9

On the pitch. He is not good at linking play and is careless with his passing

But has all the potential to be a top striker. I think the comparisons with Cavani are fair
Cheers mate, I haven't seen him play but his numbers are impressive.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Such a shame that Mason is gone . Would have been a perfect forward for ETH.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Such a shame that Mason is gone . Would have been a perfect forward for ETH.
Would have been a perfect forward for any manager. Not least Ralf Rangnick, before we even get to Ten Hag, and would have significantly increased our chances of finishing in the top 4. Brilliant talent.

Dazzmondo

I like Nunez but these prices seem insane. Surprised so many want him considering the prices being quoted. In general the prices quoted for all the players we've been linked with sound extortionate with the exception of Tielemans who at £25m sounds like a bargain. The cost of good but not outstanding players seems way closer to the prices for genuine superstars than it should be. Considering I can't think of a single successful transfer that cost more than £80m, I don't really understand these figures that are being thrown around, especially with more and more top players choosing to run down their contract.

SATA

They seem to rate him highly.

Enough of technical ability but lazy to execute it on the pitch like Martial and Rashford, it’s perhaps time we have these qualities in abundance in a striker. Ruud has all those similar qualities and he was brilliant

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Enough of technical ability but lazy to execute it on the pitch like Martial and Rashford, it’s perhaps time we have these qualities in abundance in a striker. Ruud has all those similar qualities and he was brilliant
I haven't seen him play live, but from what I've seen from him via highlights, his touch and technique looks fine.

And like you've pointed out already, we've got Martial as the technical profile and need something different imo. And it looks like Nunez provides that something different through relentless work rate/intensity, movement, physicality and a aerial threat.

And as far as possession play is concerned within the positional play principles. The deeper you're in the build up phase, the better you need to be on the ball. So the GK, defenders, midfielders, fullbacks, inside forwards will need to be good on the ball imo.

And when the build-up play improves to a high level, the team requires a killer in-front of goal who has the ability to run in behind, hold up play, run the channels, press the opponent and provide a direct vertical option along with a aerial threat. And Nunez seems to be someone who is going to provide that.

He's still young and will improve further but he's a similar profile of player to Didier Drogba and Diego Costa.

L1nk

I think what people need to ask themselves is that is he similar to Haller in any way? Haller has balled out for Ajax this season when ETH changed the dynamic of the team a little. Nevermind anything else, if he's similar to Haller I can see why we'd go for him with ETH in charge

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never seen the lad play but in terms of the Lukaku comparison Lukaku doesn't just fail due to a lack of technique it's due to that plus a lack of work rate

If this kid can press from the front and score goals then he'll be an asset for someone

Kaos

If Ten Hag likes him then that's good enough for me. A few posts up makes a good point about Haller and how effective he's been (in an albeit weaker league), and he's not someone exactly gifted with technical ability. We already have a technically gifted forward in Martial, who doesn't have the work ethic or aggression to play as a target man for us, so I don't see why we need to be so obsessed with that particular attribute. Ideally we'd find a striker who's an excellent finisher, hardworker and one who's adept with the ball at this feet, but right now the best ones (Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski, Benzema, etc), aren't going to join us realistically, not when we can't offer CL football. So if Ten Hag feels like Nunez could do a job in his system, then I'm all for us signing him.

Adam-Utd

You only have to look at his goals to see his technique is fine when it's important.

He has a good solid first touch, sorts his feet out quickly and gets away a hard shot into the corners with boot feet.

His work rate and off the ball running will earn him a lot easier chances than somebody with excellent technique but lazy (Martial)

Andrew7582

You only have to look at his goals to see his technique is fine when it's important.

He has a good solid first touch, sorts his feet out quickly and gets away a hard shot into the corners with boot feet.

His work rate and off the ball running will earn him a lot easier chances than somebody with excellent technique but lazy (Martial)
You could say the same thing about Lukaku.

Kaos

I knew someone would bring him up. The biggest issue with Lukaku is his attitude, it flat out stinks, especially his insecurity, his tendency to blame others and open his mouth to the media whenever things don't go his way. And from what I've seen of Nunez, his technique while nothing special is nowhere as clumsy as Lukaku's.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This lad could easily go either way. Andy Carroll or Harry Kane. Such a huge fee. I do think we need a battering ram and someone to play off. I think that kind of striker could actually save someone like Rashfords career here (and I’m not a fan of his) Ronaldo has not enabled play much at all and our wide forwards don’t look like they enjoy linking up with him. He doesn’t make spaces for our other players. He’s made us even more one dimensional, when plan A doesn’t work we are done. With a hold up player you can create dangerous overloads and pin defenders back bringing Bruno more into the game. We’ve badly needed someone who wants to head the ball and fight for crosses across the 6 yard box which should turn teams around (and to sign a good crosser or two) this is exactly what we’ve been missing apart from the obvious work rate and aggression problem throughout the team

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Looks gangly and awkward on the ball and some of his passing looks erratic, to put it mildly, but his work rate and attitude look super impressive.
Looks like he can run and run and run. Finishing looks good too.

Can see why he's gaining interest from bigger clubs now and with a lack of talented traditional number 9's on the market this summer, and with the fact Benfica seem open to sell and build-up competition for his signature, I feel he could be the right type of individual to peruse this summer. He ticks a fair few boxes of what we need as, not only as a forward, but as a general all round player and individual.

Feel he would cause havoc for any opposition player with his work ethic, whether those teams are at the top end or bottom. Seems like he doesn't pick or choose who he prefers to work against, unlike some of our players. His work ethic just looks natural to him.

Abit of fight and willingness to work-hard and improve is solely needed within this club.

Oh, have I mentioned he works hard ?
;)

Adam-Utd

Lukaku has made it as far as he has exactly because of this. If he couldn't finish he would never be a top level player.

The issue for him is he isn't bringing enough for the rest of the team off the ball to make up for it. If your hold up play stinks you need to have a high workrate to compensate.

As the above poster says, his ego is his biggest flaw. He thinks he is the best in the world and deserves to be carried.

At least with a hard working player like Nunez, even if they're having an off day they're still contributing with fight. I honestly think he'd give us what Cavani did last year, but without the injuries and more speed/strength.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So he is basically a Lukaku with same poor first touch but works very hard. Am I right?

Adam-Utd

So he is basically a Lukaku with same poor first touch but works very hard. Am I right?
I'd say more of a younger Cavani from what I've seen.

Goals 35 + 38 in particular stand out for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.