David Beckham's retiring

Hellboy

Always will be a legend for me. What I love about him is that he speaks fondly about us at every opportunity, he raises our profil everywhere he goes. Thanks Becks

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
There was a play off match England vs Scotland for Euro 2000. The amount he must have run in that game was absolutely insane. He also covered 16.1km against Greece in 2001 which is basically unheard of.

Cristiano_RAFC

Sorry, but in my opinion, the word legend is banded about far too easily.

To me legend means players like Best, Charlton, Law, Schmeichel, Cantona, Edwards, Gregg etc.

Beckham used what talents he had to great effect, but legend, I don't think so.
That's actually where I think you're wrong about Becks (or at least where my opinion is the oposite of yours). The reason why he is a legend is not because of his 'god given talent'. It's because he had the will to make most of what he was given, and that drive and will turned him into the best a particular skill for several years. That's what sets Beckham apart from many others in my opinion. He's the living evidence that you can reach the top if only if you want it enough and you work hard enough to get there.

He was possibly our most influential season in our best ever season and he has been very influential for several years in the most successive era of our club.

The only reason why I get the feeling people usually don't consider him a legend, is because he left and didn't stay his entire carreer like Giggs and Scholes. I doubt he really wanted to go. Everything you ever hear from him after he left, is good words about United. I bet that deepdown he still had the dream to return and end his carreer at United, even if it was just for a few months. I bet he'd play for free too if that's what it would have taken to play for United once again.

You may say that the term legend is too easily being used for United players lately, but I'd argue that it's only because we've been having our most successfull era ever, and it's only natural that you get more 'legends' than in other eras. 'Legend' to me isn't just reserved for those that played in the 50s and 60s.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Fabulous footballer who, despite not being born with the natural talent of a Best or Cruyff, went on to prove that hard work is rewarded.

IMO he's got to be classed as a legend.

Ferguson

If "legend" means anything, then Beckham is a United legend.

We'll be spinning tales to our grandchildren about Becks and Keano and Giggs and Scholes.

Beckham will always be a legend of football to me. He's lived the dream, earned fame and glory in multiple countries and been a terrific ambassador. How many British players can say that? No matter what people may say about him, the truth has always been his willingness to work hard. He's got everywhere in life because he made the most of his talent and was dedicated to football. For a long time he was world class and he's the best crosser of a ball I've ever seen.

This year feels even more like the end of an era. Fergie retiring, Scholes, P Neville, Beckham, also Owen. Giggs is the last man standing now.

Comsmit

Always gave 100% for United....what a player aswell. Whatever it takes to define "world class" I'm not sure but he had world-class attributes to his game. Absolutely loved watching him in a United shirt and some of the goals he scored were out of this world.

It pissed me off no end when he signed for Real....I thought it was a mistake by him. I don't think they truly respected his abilities as a footballer, more his ability to be a unique marketing tool. I thought Barcelona would have been a better bet for his footballing career. Then again it was never all about that with Becks.

A genuine superstar and whatever anyone says about his status.....he has done a great deal of good both in the game and outside of it.

ricky-romeo

one of the reason i started supporting united was because of beckham! i was just 9 at that time and just started to watch football with my united fan dad. euro 96 was my first taste of watching footies on the tv and i got hooked straight away with england and alan shearer. so i actually did consider supporting newcastle united as shearer had just signed for them for a then world record fee.

the day i saw beckham lobbed neil sullivan from 60 yards, then i just knew this is going to be my favourite footballer. and of course Manchester United become my club as well.

i basically grew up watching united and beckham. it was a sad day when becks left united, but no one is bigger than the club itself. i became a stronger united fan and i also follow beckham's career closely.

thanks for all those memories. you were simply the best crosser of the ball. hope you will return to united one day, maybe as an ambassador or something. :)

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
There was a play off match England vs Scotland for Euro 2000. The amount he must have run in that game was absolutely insane. He also covered 16.1km against Greece in 2001 which is basically unheard of.
That was one of the most amazing individual performances I have seen.

Was determined to drag England to qualification...and didn't stop running until he had doen that.

And of course his goal in the final minute.

Fantastic player and certainly in my mind a United legend.

LR7

Haven't read this thread back but outside of this forum people are massively downplaying Beckham as a footballer imo. I absolutely idolised him as a kid. Looking back, ridiculously so. He will always be a United legend to me and there are so many great memories of him playing for us. Wish him all the best and I know he's said he's not interested in coaching but I'd love to see him back here as an ambassador or something. He loves Manchester United to bits.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Aye, most of the facebook scraps are 'Massively overrated footballer'. Twats. He was twice the runner up in World Footballer of the year. Not everyone is a Messi, but Becks was a very talented, hard working player and was one of the most important clogs in a team that won the treble. He undoubtedly raised the profile of Manchester United and football in Asia and new markets, it's such a shame that it's undermining his abilities as a footballer. He didn't help himself with the MLS move, but ultimately, Soccer/Football has a bigger profile in America now.

He loves our club to bits, he came through the youth ranks from our club to become one of the world's best and he has been always respectful of what our club has done to him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Aye, most of the facebook scraps are 'Massively overrated footballer'. Twats. He was twice the runner up in World Footballer of the year. Not everyone is a Messi, but Becks was a very talented, hard working player and was one of the most important clogs in a team that won the treble. He undoubtedly raised the profile of Manchester United and football in Asia and new markets, it's such a shame that it's undermining his abilities as a footballer. He didn't help himself with the MLS move, but ultimately, Soccer/Football has a bigger profile in America now.

He loves our club to bits, he came through the youth ranks from our club to become one of the world's best and he has been always respectful of what our club has done to him.
Whether he is overrated or not in terms of pure football sense, he is still the best crosser and one of the best freekicker I have ever seen.

P.Head

D.Head
Legend my fat arse!! A brilliant crosser of the ball granted but I got sick to my back teeth of seeing him grab the ball at every free kick, we had loads of players that could strike a ball in his time (Denis Irwin was no slouch!) But oh no David did (& does) like to hog the limelight!

Scholes` retirement with Fergie is the stuff of legends, Old Goldenbollocks couldn`t stand it could he!? Not the centre of fecking attention the big tart!??

Loved seeing him "on his game" but his attitude for the last season & half before his departure from OT left a lot to be desired. Too busy selling sunglasses & underpants under the gleaming hawkeye of his skank wife to be considered "a legend" & Fergie did well to get rid!

Also Captain of the most frustrating, underachieving England team in the history of frustrating, underachieving England teams!! Yes I remember THAT performance against Greece as I remember Owen`s performance against Germany! However it WAS fecking Greece lets not forget.

Thanks Becks for the great years you gave us, hopefully one day I will be able to erase from memory what an excruciatingly irritating media crack-whore you became!!!

reelworld

The season after Becks retired, Ronaldo came in and struggled and we had Bellion on the right

Makes you appreciate the quality of crosses that he provided through out the years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Legend my fat arse!! A brilliant crosser of the ball granted but I got sick to my back teeth of seeing him grab the ball at every free kick, we had loads of players that could strike a ball in his time (Denis Irwin was no slouch!) But oh no David did (& does) like to hog the limelight!

Scholes` retirement with Fergie is the stuff of legends, Old Goldenbollocks couldn`t stand it could he!? Not the centre of fecking attention the big tart!??

Loved seeing him "on his game" but his attitude for the last season & half before his departure from OT left a lot to be desired. Too busy selling sunglasses & underpants under the gleaming hawkeye of his skank wife to be considered "a legend" & Fergie did well to get rid!

Also Captain of the most frustrating, underachieving England team in the history of frustrating, underachieving England teams!! Yes I remember THAT performance against Greece as I remember Owen`s performance against Germany! However it WAS fecking Greece lets not forget.

Thanks Becks for the great years you gave us, hopefully one day I will be able to erase from memory what an excruciatingly irritating media crack-whore you became!!!
Whoa, who promoted you

You serious ??

It wasn't his fault he's born handsome, and get rich playing football, and boned a blue blood posh girl, if any the fact that he still plays in a high level football up till he's fecking 38 when he could have just feck off and become and actor speaks a lot about Beckham

Geez, I hope you're not a United fan

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my

I get a feeling you don't like Becks, 'skanky wives', sunglasses, underpants, Greece, the media and crack whores. At least you your list is extensive and clear.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

You also think Gus Poyet is a magician :eek: Something's not right

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

What's your opinion on Ronaldo then?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Why do so many stupid posts on here almost always contains a shitload of exclamation points?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I love Beckham, always have always will.

What always annoyed me the most was in this era of people slagging off english players for not being loyal enough or caring enough about the national team, Beckham spent his whole career trying to stay fit enough and getting regular enough football to stay in contention even when not being picked. Yet people still slagged him off.

I think if young footballers look up to him as a role model they could pick a lot worse.

Kinky Melinky

fecking love the man. He's a total pro. So proud I got to see him play live. Have a great life Becks and enjoy every minute of it

ricky-romeo

Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, P Neville and G Neville on coaching staff with Moyes:drool:
can see this happening with giggs, scholes, the nevilles and of course we already have nicky butt already. but i don't think beckham will be doing any coaching at the highest level. he might be interested in working with our youngsters, but even then as a part timer, not on a full time capacity.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Whoa, who promoted you

You serious ??

It wasn't his fault he's born handsome, and get rich playing football, and boned a blue blood posh girl, if any the fact that he still plays in a high level football up till he's fecking 38 when he could have just feck off and become and actor speaks a lot about Beckham

Geez, I hope you're not a United fan
Er, no.

And who wouldn't rather be a footballer than an actor?

Has anyone read Chris Waddle's assessment of Becks? Not the typical 'former England internationals club' opinion, but not too inaccurate I don't think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22568870
It's fecking daft. Not among the top 1,000 players in PL history? I'd have him in the top 50 easily.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Has anyone read Chris Waddle's assessment of Becks? Not the typical 'former England internationals club' opinion, but not too inaccurate I don't think.
"You can go down a list of footballers since the Premier League and I don't think David Beckham would probably be in the first 1,000."

He's talking out of his arse.