David Carmo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Samuel Luckhurst reported yesterday about David Carmo being the back up option in the event we miss out on Jurrien Timber. And reports this morning from Holland are pointing to Timber possibly staying for another season at Ajax, which could mean we turn to the 6'5, CB from Braga, who is still 22 and left footed. From what I could glean from the below highlights, is that he's physically very strong both aerially and on the ground and looks very quick and athletic for a CB that is 6'5. I don't know about his passing ability but i'm sure someone will fill me in.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looks a very proactive defender dare I say aggressive. Based on the video, could easily play in a high press high line

Tarrou

Carmo looks like a big hard cnut and we could do with one or two of them

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
So the alternative to the 5 foot 10 right footed CB come right back Timber who is very good on the ball and exceptional at progressive carries, passes, pass completion and involving himself in the buildup is the 6 foot 5 aerially dominant left footed Carmo who from his Europa league games was in the lower percentile for passes, pass completion, progressive carries and progressive passes. Good to see we’re signing players to a profile.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This guy could be a decent shout, has the size and ability to be dominant. Also left footed, don’t think we’ve had a left footed cb since rojo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Liverpool wouldn't pay the €40m release clause, and you can see why Klopp would want him.

didz

So the alternative to the 5 foot 10 right footed CB come right back Timber who is very good on the ball and exceptional at progressive carries, passes, pass completion and involving himself in the buildup is the 6 foot 5 aerially dominant left footed Carmo who from his Europa league games was in the lower percentile for passes, pass completion, progressive carries and progressive passes. Good to see we’re signing players to a profile.
The Timber rumours don't make sense lot of sense to me. Surely if we were getting a centre back it would be a left footed one?

Can't recall watching him, but apparently Carmo hasn't played all that much this season, having suffered a serious ankle injury the February before last for which players had to push a broken down ambulance off the pitch.

Statistically as you'd expect he looks good in the air. He also plays quite a lot of long balls at a semi-decent success rate, at least in the league anyway. The video makes him look pretty front foot, probably even tackle-happy.

Maybe if the plan is to rehabilitate Maguire, Carmo makes sense as an insurance policy? I doubt we would sign a player who has yet to complete 20 league games in a season to come in and lock down a centre-back spot straight away.

RC89

I tend to worry about CBs that seem overly dependant on a slide tackle. Certainly good to have it in your locker, but this clip makes it look like he's very dependant on it.

Oranges038

There's a very small chance he could be decent, high chance that he's just Rojo MK2.

Mainoldo

I mean it’s pretty simple. Timber is ETH’s choice not United’s.

Carmo is very similar to Pau.

Jacob

I loved Rio because he rarely went to ground. This guy is the opposite.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The Timber rumours don't make sense lot of sense to me. Surely if we were getting a centre back it would be a left footed one?

Can't recall watching him, but apparently Carmo hasn't played all that much this season, having suffered a serious ankle injury the February before last for which players had to push a broken down ambulance off the pitch.

Statistically as you'd expect he looks good in the air. He also plays quite a lot of long balls at a semi-decent success rate, at least in the league anyway. The video makes him look pretty front foot, probably even tackle-happy.

Maybe if the plan is to rehabilitate Maguire, Carmo makes sense as an insurance policy? I doubt we would sign a player who has yet to complete 20 league games in a season to come in and lock down a centre-back spot straight away.
I’ve thought all summer timber is the AWB replacement who will initially bed-in at RB and Torres was the first choice left footed CB. This guy as a cheaper alternative to Torres makes some sense even though Torres looks infinitely ahead on the ball and but if he is our alternative to Timber then we’re literally pissing in the wind this summer with no clue what profile of player we’re looking for as we can’t answer the basic question: what do we want in a CB. They’re completely different fecking players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I tend to worry about CBs that seem overly dependant on a slide tackle. Certainly good to have it in your locker, but this clip makes it look like he's very dependant on it.
His slide tackles seem to be when he's defending a large space in isolation, mostly from the highlights. But there's also footage of him in other compilations where he stands his ground, whilst defending in numbers.

It's difficult to evaluate his potential without actually watching him play full games for a period of time. But it's been reported Liverpool did try to sign him before he injured himself, so that's a good sign due to Liverpool's impressive record in the transfer market since Klopp arrived.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean it’s pretty simple. Timber is ETH’s choice not United’s.

Carmo is very similar to Pau.
Why are the club and the manager not aligned in the style of player we wish to sign? Surely they should be? That was kind of the whole point of reboot number 7

didz

His slide tackles seem to be when he's defending a large space in isolation, mostly from the highlights. But there's also footage of him in other compilations where he stands his ground, whilst defending in numbers.

It's difficult to evaluate his potential without actually watching him play full games for a period of time. But it's been reported Liverpool did try to sign him before he injured himself, so that's a good sign due to Liverpool's impressive record in the transfer market since Klopp arrived.
In fairness, they were trying to sign him around the time they signed Ozan Kabak and Preston's Ben Davies, weren't they?

Actually it might have been they were the stop gaps and this guy was who they wanted in the summer, before going with Konate instead.

I’ve thought all summer timber is the AWB replacement who will initially bed-in at RB and Torres was the first choice left footed CB. This guy as a cheaper alternative to Torres makes some sense even though Torres looks infinitely ahead on the ball and but if he is our alternative to Timber then we’re literally pissing in the wind this summer with no clue what profile of player we’re looking for as we can’t answer the basic question: what do we want in a CB. They’re completely different fecking players.
I get that we all want someone to come in and be a right back, but I just don't see the sense in signing somebody who's played like 4 senior games there to lock the position down. Square pegs and round holes?

A lot of people refer to Blind as an inverted fullback and cite that as proof of concept, but Blind is doing a lot more in that Ajax side than just forming into a line of 3. It's a pretty complex role that Blind is able to do because of his vast experience of playing different positions. Seems like Timber would have a lot of developing to do if he were to play that role well in the Premier League.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wouldn't be surprised if this guy is an alternative to Pau Torres, not Timber.
I think Timber is going to be signed regardless. Carmo looks like a player that will develop into someone that can control the space in a high defensive line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In fairness, they were trying to sign him around the time they signed Ozan Kabak and Preston's Ben Davies, weren't they?

Actually it might have been they were the stop gaps and this guy was who they wanted in the summer, before going with Konate instead.

I get that we all want someone to come in and be a right back, but I just don't see the sense in signing somebody who's played like 4 senior games there to lock the position down. Square pegs and round holes?

A lot of people refer to Blind as an inverted fullback and cite that as proof of concept, but Blind is doing a lot more in that Ajax side than just forming into a line of 3. It's a pretty complex role that Blind is able to do because of his vast experience of playing different positions. Seems like Timber would have a lot of developing to do if he were to play that role well in the Premier League.
Kabak was a loan and the other lad was a £2m punt. But Carmo was someone they seriously wanted and were even willing to go up to €30m according to reports.

Mainoldo

Why are the club and the manager not aligned in the style of player we wish to sign? Surely they should be? That was kind of the whole point of reboot number 7
They are inlined.. I mean it’s not this dramatic at all. I think we all can agree we need a ball playing CB who play a high line. Ideally left footed to complement Varane and Lindelof. Hence why our targets have been Pau Torres.

But if your new manager comes in and says this guy fits my system the best and we can get him. Then why would you want to p your manager off straight away. All you have to do is shift Varane and Lindelof to the left which they have both played before. Plus we still have the block head that’s always played on the left until Ralf.

To make people feel more comfortable. Klopp’s first choice was Brandt, Liverpool couldn’t get him and recommended Salah. They are nowhere near the same type of profiles. But clearly Brandt wasn’t part of Pool’s original list.

Mainoldo

I think Timber is going to be signed regardless. Carmo looks like a player that will develop into someone that can control the space in a high defensive line.
Probably just answered why Timber is willing to stay at Ajax.

didz

Kabak was a loan and the other lad was a £2m punt. But Carmo was someone they seriously wanted and were even willing to go up to €30m according to reports.
Makes sense, and they have been very successful in that sort of price range.

Kostov

What is this "too much tackling" nonsense? Is it better if he was like Lindelof voyeur style defending? If anything we lack a proper crunch tackler CB who will scare attackers. I like this guy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looks like the sort of CB Fergie would have signed. Would have also helped with our annual CB injury crises as well judging by his fitness record.

Mainoldo

Timber will be signed either this summer or in the next two windows imo.
Im happy with that. At 20 I really feel it’s better for him to stay at Ajax anyway. We will hopefully be in a better place next summer.

Mainoldo

I did wonder if he’s seen as a cheaper alternative to Torres and that we are intent on buying Timber + another
I’m still convinced it was

1. Torres
2. Akanji
3. Probably this guy
4. The Frankfurt guy

ETH has come in and said he’d Like Timber above all of those and this is where we are.

I cannot see us using our budget on two CB unless a Maguire goes.