David Carmo

Mainoldo

So you believed that it was Timber or Torres all along? Possibly so, but as opposed to Torres and Carmo, Timber is right footed. Might mean a different profile.
I don’t believe Timber is a Manchester United scouting target and it would make sense. As he doesn’t fit the profile.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m still convinced it was

1. Torres
2. Akanji
3. Probably this guy
4. The Frankfurt guy

ETH has come in and said he’d Like Timber above all of those and this is where we are.

I cannot see us using our budget on two CB unless a Maguire goes.
You could be right. Time will tell

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t believe Timber is a Manchester United scouting target and it would make sense. As he doesn’t fit the profile.
How can the best young player in NL not be a scouting target though? I’d be pissed with the scouts if he wasn’t. Up to the coach then if he wants to look at it further

Mainoldo

How can the best young player in NL not be a scouting target though? I’d be pissed with the scouts if he wasn’t. Up to the coach then if he wants to look at it further
Being aware of someone and them being a target is two different things. I don’t think he was a target because he doesn’t really fit the profile of what we need in a CB right now.

He’s too young
Not very physical, just due to his age
Doesn’t play on or hasn’t played on the left

Why would he be top of our scouting list?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

1. Torres
2. Akanji
3. Probably this guy
4. The Frankfurt guy

ETH has come in and said he’d Like Timber above all of those and this is where we are.

Raises the question of who we intend to replace AWB with given he's available. If Timber was exclusively intended to be a CB then we've kept RB targets fairly quiet.

Mainoldo

Raises the question of who we intend to replace AWB with given he's available. If Timber was exclusively intended to be a CB then we've kept RB targets fairly quiet.
Nobody seems to have a clue about RB. Will be interesting but not surpising if it just turns out to be Lampety.

Joseunited

Nobody seems to have a clue about RB. Will be interesting but not surpising if it just turns out to be Lampety.
I can't imagine we'll sign any premier league based players, the price will just be ridiculously high.

Bondi77

Never heard of him but I bet his value has just increased 300%

diarm

If it's not to be Timber (and I still think it will be), I'd like to see us have a look at Frimpong from Leverkusen.

golden_blunder

Staff
Being aware of someone and them being a target is two different things. I don’t think he was a target because he doesn’t really fit the profile of what we need in a CB right now.

He’s too young
Not very physical, just due to his age
Doesn’t play on or hasn’t played on the left

Why would he be top of our scouting list?
You may want to reword that. He actually is very physical. It’s unusual for him to lose out on physical challenges on the ground. He’s very aggressive and proactive. Heading obviously is something that can improve because his height.
Also physical attributes don’t always equate to age. Think back to Rooney. Sometimes younger ones need to calm down!

CM

From that first video he goes to ground a little too often for my liking. It's probably fine to do that in Portugal, I'm not so sure it'd be so effective in the Premier League against quicker and more agile forwards.

I wouldn't be against the signing necessarily, though I have to say it's a little puzzling we're being linked with more defenders than midfielders atm. We're in for a central defender most summers while we continue to overlook the huge flaws in front of (and to be fair, behind) the defence.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He can't get into Portugal National team starting XI today over Pepe and Danilo. And that XI has no Dias due to injury as well. Not convinced and can't watch how he plays as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

1. Torres
2. Akanji
3. Probably this guy
4. The Frankfurt guy

That N'Dicka looks good.

Gandalf

I think it is just as likely that we are only looking at a CB and ETH plans to play Dalot as first choice and maybe see what he has in Laird. Two defensive signings when we know how unlikely it is we will sign more than 3 or 4 players in total seems very unlikely.

Andrew7582

Is this guy mobile enough to be comfortable in a high line? Looks like a big ol' lump to me.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Him and timber are so drastically different so I wonder whats the train of thought here if there's any truth to this.

Bondi77

Him and timber are so drastically different so I wonder whats the train of thought here if there's any truth to this.
He is just another name that has been thrown in.
It will be a different one next week.

ti vu

Doesn't look like a like for like alternative. So seems like we're only signing one CB.

AkaAkuma

He’s managed 18:12:12 league appearances in the last 3 seasons.
Think this is just gossip

Sea-Cow

What is this "too much tackling" nonsense? Is it better if he was like Lindelof voyeur style defending? If anything we lack a proper crunch tackler CB who will scare attackers. I like this guy.
Haha I am going to steal this. It is a great way to describe it.

Kaushal

I don’t get the fascination of signing a centre back almost every summer to sort out our defensive issues. I really don’t. Given the requirements we have in other positions, a CB should be least of our worries. Do I believe lindelof, Varane and Maguire are perfect ? No. Do I believe they are good enough ? Yes especially the first 2.

Signing another CB won’t solve anything because I don’t believe there is any outstanding CB available to literally transform us. In today’s market, the gap in quality is so minimal between CB’s that it just isn’t worth to blow a huge chunk of our budget on this position when we have gaping holes at RB, midfield, RW, striker and possibly at LB too. I wanted us to sign Timber because I thought it would also cover our RB issues but signing a pure CB and ignoring other urgent needs in other positions is not smart at all.

We got Varane last year and no one even comes close to his ability and achievements and yet we still struggled. The performances of the CB’s and the whole team was the outcome of terrible players terrible attitude and terrible coaching and I don’t think lindelof and Varane are terrible players with terrible attitude. So, I totally believe that a good coach is going to massively improve our cb’s. We really need to invest the money in two midfielders, RW, striker first and foremost before thinking about signing a CB atleast for this coming season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If there's truth to this, it's probably because Timber isn't pursued as a CB (or at least not only as a CB). Could also be because he'll be super cheap. I mean, had anyone on here heard of him before these rumours?

city-puma

If there's truth to this, it's probably because Timber isn't pursued as a CB (or at least not only as a CB). Could also be because he'll be super cheap. I mean, had anyone on here heard of him before these rumours?
I kinda feel Timber might play de rong’s role if De Rong can’t come.
Is Carmo good with ball? We don’t have a LCB as good as Maguire. If he is good for play from back, we should definitely go for him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah that would be fair although it's most likely untrue as their media outlets just throw things to the wall to see what sticks.

Highfather_24

Even people saying he is a backup to Torres, makes no sense. Torres is a Rio-esque player, while Carmo seems like a Vidic/Terry-esque player.

I really dont know why we target random players who dont fit a profile.

AnotherLondonManc

I don’t get the fascination of signing a centre back almost every summer to sort out our defensive issues. I really don’t. Given the requirements we have in other positions, a CB should be least of our worries. Do I believe lindelof, Varane and Maguire are perfect ? No. Do I believe they are good enough ? Yes especially the first 2.

Signing another CB won’t solve anything because I don’t believe there is any outstanding CB available to literally transform us. In today’s market, the gap in quality is so minimal between CB’s that it just isn’t worth to blow a huge chunk of our budget on this position when we have gaping holes at RB, midfield, RW, striker and possibly at LB too. I wanted us to sign Timber because I thought it would also cover our RB issues but signing a pure CB and ignoring other urgent needs in other positions is not smart at all.

We got Varane last year and no one even comes close to his ability and achievements and yet we still struggled. The performances of the CB’s and the whole team was the outcome of terrible players terrible attitude and terrible coaching and I don’t think lindelof and Varane are terrible players with terrible attitude. So, I totally believe that a good coach is going to massively improve our cb’s. We really need to invest the money in two midfielders, RW, striker first and foremost before thinking about signing a CB atleast for this coming season.
I largely agree with this but when you consider that we're likely losing Bailey and Jones this summer, additional cover at CB is absolutely a priority. No way we can get through the season with only 3 recognised first team center backs and anyone we will buy will likely be in a heavy rotation so needs to be good enough to slot straight into the starting 11.

And while a new CB is unlikely to change the dynamic of our team drastically, signing someone with the right attributes will give us more dynamism building from the back.

I really don't get the fascination with signing a left footed CB though. It's probably the position on the park where this matters least. We already have aerially dominant center backs, what we need is someone with composure that can effectively progress the ball. I've never seen Carmo play but he doesn't seem to fit that profile from what I've read. It's a no from me.

golden_blunder

Staff

In a season you need 4 CBs. We don’t have 4 for next season.

Kaushal

In a season you need 4 CBs. We don’t have 4 for next season.
We don’t have a good enough RB, two starting midfielders, a RW and a striker. What is most required ? We don’t have unlimited funds. So, what do we do ? Leave a midfielder short and persist with mc/Fred again? or no right back or leave Ronaldo alone uptop? We have to sort out the first 11 before thinking about the squad depth.

We have 3 cb’s right now who can all start and I know it’s not ideal but as a 4th choice, can’t we use Tuanzebe or even keep bailly just for this season?

Red_toad

Even people saying he is a backup to Torres, makes no sense. Torres is a Rio-esque player, while Carmo seems like a Vidic/Terry-esque player.

I really dont know why we target random players who dont fit a profile.
You do know not all players we’re linked to are actually of any interest don’t you? We’ve been linked to over a dozen central defenders in the last 2 months. Carmo won’t be of interest I’m pretty certain of it.

Highfather_24

You do know not all players we’re linked to are actually of any interest don’t you? We’ve been linked to over a dozen central defenders in the last 2 months. Carmo won’t be of interest I’m pretty certain of it.
Considering we dont have an aggressive CB, we should be looking at Carmo's profile more than Torres'.

golden_blunder

Staff
We don’t have a good enough RB, two starting midfielders, a RW and a striker. What is most required ? We don’t have unlimited funds. So, what do we do ? Leave a midfielder short and persist with mc/Fred again? or no right back or leave Ronaldo alone uptop? We have to sort out the first 11 before thinking about the squad depth.

We have 3 cb’s right now who can all start and I know it’s not ideal but as a 4th choice, can’t we use Tuanzebe or even keep bailly just for this season?
Bailly & Jones want to leave. Tuanzebe is still going on loan at 25 so I’d expect him to leave in search of football. Don’t forget Lindelof has back problems, and was dropped by Sweden recently for continued back problems, Varane is made of glass and Maguire had a few games out too. We don’t really have any kids who can step up and matic is gone so cover is probably McTominay

we have 2 right backs & Laird who is capable of backup. They are not the best right backs, I don’t rate either but they may have to do until next window.

midfield I see us buying one and blooding 2-3 of our young players. Garner & levitt have had good loans and Hannibal is ready for a taster too. I think Fred is still a decent player who could get better under Ten Hag, particularly in a 3. VDB will return and definitely play more under ETH

forward I can see us getting one but not a RW. I think we may get Nunez. ETH will look to see if he can improve Rashford & possibly Martial if he’s not sold.

we obviously can’t do it all this window so I think it’ll be CB, CM, FW.

RW, RB and maybe LB next window.

obviously depending on sales we may add 1 or 2 to this season