David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

Some massive underrating of him going on in here. He would be fantastic for a mid to low table Premier League side that faces a lot of shots.

The idea he’s not good enough for EPL is ridiculous. He’s not good enough for a top class side with intentions to play progressive football. Big difference.
Football has moved on though, even teams at the lower end are opting for keepers who are more comfortable with their feet.

Then there's the issue of them not willing to match his wage demands.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Football has moved on though, even teams at the lower end are opting for keepers who are more comfortable with their feet.

Then there's the issue of them not willing to match his wage demands.
Right but I’m not addressing those points though. I’m responding to people dismissing him as if he’s a Championship level keeper now or worse which is obviously nonsense. He still has world class attributes as a goalkeeper it’s just his weaknesses aren’t compatible with teams that are progressive from the back.

Red Star One

Over 500 caps, our last Premier League winner and SAF player, three consecutive (four total) Sir Matt Busby PotY, four times in the Premier League Team of the Year, our last player to be named in FIFPro World 11 (please don't count Casemiro for his CL win with Real). Incredible achievements, he was always loyal and very classy too. For this he deserves nothing but respect from United fans.

Letting him go without a goodbye and after making him a scapegoat by a large number of fans/pundits in the last years feels hollow but consistent with our terrible management. Sad way to treat a legend of the club and our top3 GK in history.

red.knight

All a bit bizarre and sad how poorly the club has treated a 12 year club legend at possibly the end of his time at the club. I feel replacing DDG is genuinely as much of a priority as it is to recruit a number 9 but the way we have acted recently raises alarm bells for me. I think it’s clear that Arnold and Murtough aren’t aligned with Ten Hag at all given it’s taken Ten Hag to intervene this late on to prevent his contract being renewed and him staying as the clubs number 1 which is completely against Ten Hag’s philosophy he can’t take this club forward with DDG as the number 1. Arnold and Murtough should have known this for a full season now and have plans in place to either retain DDG as a number 2 or let him go and they haven’t done that. Once the new owners come in people like Arnold and Murtough need replacing we need the best in class in every position at the club.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
All a bit bizarre and sad how poorly the club has treated a 12 year club legend at possibly the end of his time at the club. I feel replacing DDG is genuinely as much of a priority as it is to recruit a number 9 but the way we have acted recently raises alarm bells for me. I think it’s clear that Arnold and Murtough aren’t aligned with Ten Hag at all given it’s taken Ten Hag to intervene this late on to prevent his contract being renewed and him staying as the clubs number 1 which is completely against Ten Hag’s philosophy he can’t take this club forward with DDG as the number 1. Arnold and Murtough should have known this for a full season now and have plans in place to either retain DDG as a number 2 or let him go and they haven’t done that. Once the new owners come in people like Arnold and Murtough need replacing we need the best in class in every position at the club.
Does anyone remember how Pep treated Hart or Bravo? It’s this mentality that has kept us at this level and them at their level. De Gea has not be suited to the modern game for years now. Thanks Dave but unless he wants to be back up, he needs to leave.

RVN1991

Does anyone remember how Pep treated Hart or Bravo? It’s this mentality that has kept us at this level and them at their level. De Gea has not be suited to the modern game for years now. Thanks Dave but unless he wants to be back up, he needs to leave.
Pep at least told Hart from the get go that he wasn't in his plans, Bravo is a weird comparison considering he was a stop gap who was replaced after one terrible season as the no 1, not a club legend who has been at the club for over a decade. The fact is that it was apparent that he needed replacing as soon as ETH was hired. Dicking him around like the club did when he never should've been offered a new deal from the start is just too on brand with how bad everything about this club has become.

Oranges038

It seems people have also forgotten how SAF treated Jim Leighton.

mk7

This. Yes, we have a great and successful history but all this talk of club legends especially for someone who was part of the decline of our successes is a bit overly nostalgic.

red.knight

I don’t know how City or Pep treated their goalkeepers but the hierarchy at United are a disgrace the way they treated De Gea. If the leeches eventually sell I hope the new owner will boot Arnold, Murtough and Co. out immediately. They should never have given de Gea a new contract without confirming with ten Hag first.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I hope the club write a long farewell testimonial for him. Even though he has dropped in quality the past few years, he has been a longstanding servant and been top quality throughout large parts of his United career.

Best of luck to him in his new venture

GazTheLegend

Shameful how the club handled his exit and how some sections of the fan base have treated him this season. Should've gone to Madrid when he had the chance. Probably Saudi bound as he's regressed dramatically and don't see anybody in Europe coming close to what he'd want to earn.
I mean like... We are not a charity and you only need to look at Phil Jones fir an example of what clubs being loyal to players means to a fickle fanbase

redIndianDevil

Pathetic way to treat a long serving player of our club. It doesn’t sit well with me that EtH is so indecisive and has the power to pull stuff like this, meaning that we have never learned from our past mistakes of giving managers too much power.

De Gea could have agreed to the initial contract much sooner and it wouldn’t have come to this but why couldn’t EtH decide De Gea wasn’t worth a new contract. The media reports explicitly state that it was EtH who changed his mind.

MiracleInMadrid

Gutted that he won't get the send off he deserves. Should have been handled before the last home game of the season. Would have been the right way to say goodbye after the career he has had with us.

I know that the club maybe wasn't expecting that he wouldn't continue here, but I'm still sorry for him.

redIndianDevil

I mean like... We are not a charity and you only need to look at Phil Jones fir an example of what clubs being loyal to players means to a fickle fanbase
We are not a charity but it makes us look pretty cheap, indecisive and incompetent.

What would you do in Phil Jones’ position? He got injured in the line of work for us, he did every thing he was supposed to do. We had to honour his contract. We could have paid him off much sooner too.

fergosaurus

He's far too error prone and limited on the ball so it's the correct call. The way we arrived at the decision was disgraceful though.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Will end up at Sevilla and be part of the team that knocks us out of the CL no doubt.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Pathetic way to treat a long serving player of our club. It doesn’t sit well with me that EtH is so indecisive and has the power to pull stuff like this, meaning that we have never learned from our past mistakes of giving managers too much power.

De Gea could have agreed to the initial contract much sooner and it wouldn’t have come to this but why couldn’t EtH decide De Gea wasn’t worth a new contract. The media reports explicitly state that it was EtH who changed his mind.
He was probably under the impression that the club would still be getting in a goal keeper even if we kept Dave until he realised they’ve no intention of getting in a replacement while Dave is still around.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Some massive underrating of him going on in here. He would be fantastic for a mid to low table Premier League side that faces a lot of shots.

The idea he’s not good enough for EPL is ridiculous. He’s not good enough for a top class side with intentions to play progressive football. Big difference.
He was statistically mediocre for two years now by every underlying metric, and any lower or mid table side that's facing lots of pressure will have issues with De Gea being unable to ever command his box. There's a reason he's not even been linked with anywhere outside of the middle east.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He is so underrated by our fan base, it would be interesting seeing him in another PL team shirt, we might just regret losing him.
He's not a top keeper any more, that's the reality, but he's still decent and football is very cynical nowadays.
De Gea deserves all of our respect for what he did for 12 years, in about 8 of them we was brilliant for us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is so underrated by our fan base, it would be interesting seeing him in another PL team shirt, we might just regret losing him.
He's not a top keeper any more, that's the reality, but he's still decent and football is very cynical nowadays.
De Gea deserves all of our respect for what he did for 12 years, in about 8 of them we was brilliant for us.
He was great for 6 years. In his first season and in the last five he's been inconsistent at best, and far too often downright poor.

Part of the reason I want him to leave so much is because if he stays any longer the average-to-poor seasons will outnumber the good. It really is hurting his legacy and the memories that many of us fans want to have of him. I want to remember him as the incredible shot-stopper, but it's getting harder to do that the longer he stays.

Chief123

Been a great servant but it’s probably the right decision to let him go. Shameful way the club have dealt with his situation though. It’s just a shame he won’t get a proper send off and goodbye from the fans. Been one of our best players for the last decade.

OleGunnar20

If this is true which i hope is true, then thank you to De Gea for being a ray of sunshine for most of the seasons. The United team and management has been crap since 2013 and he played a vital role in us not dropping to 8 and below positions. Was a world class goal keeper. Still remember the 2015 fax debacle which may have benefitted United but not him as he might have some something more with Madrid.

The game has passed him by. He really tried to be a more active GK last season, trying to sweep, play short passes but he has come up short.
Ayye well said. Glad to see him move on, but I've mainly got fond memories of his moments during some dire years for us as a team.

BorisManUtd

Then how come there's no PL teams interested in him? I love De Gea and back in 2014-2018 period he was someone who could be a Real Madrid goalkeeper but nowadays it seems like most top teams wouldn't have him. We as well should be aiming to be a top team again.

crossy1686

career ending
The other aspect of our fan base, wanting players who leave just to be successful elsewhere to spite us.

keithsingleton

Don’t know, I remember us losing quite a few and Dave having howlers but he was so far ahead in the golden glove race that it didn’t matter
Funny how some fans only remember the bad games he had for us. I remember at one time we were comparing him with Schmeichel. He’s had a great career overall at United despite some real bad performances. As a human we all make mistakes, even goalkeeper.

Think he’s had our player of the season at least four times. Has that ever been bettered by anyone else at United? All too often many of our fans only think of the bad. If he’s played his last game for us I wish him well where ever he goes. He deserves the upmost respect from us for what he’s accomplished over the years.

Red00012

Are we all remember how well those final games went when both were out injured.
Varane was on the bench 6 times this season in the PL we won 5 of them .conceded 3 in those 6 games. But carry on DDG had nothing to do with the golden glove.
Some posters here with the memory only of our past couple of games .

Status
Not open for further replies.