g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbasformerbarber

Loved him...Maybe a year too late for his departure but timing these perfectly is almost impossible, so I can't blame either side.

All of those upset about the Club's handling of him is weird take for me. We paid him above average wages and he was never mistreated by any Manager. It was just good business to hedge potentially keeping him if we couldn't find an alternative...I'm actually pretty impressed with the process here.

nazanto

Me like many others want us to move on from De Gea, but it has to be said the club's handling of his departure has left much to be desired and it is sad I would say. Especially when Ten Hag's previous indications of wanting him to stay. However, as cliché as it sounds, the demands placed on goalkeepers have increased significantly and we need more than just a shot stopper. It doesn't help the decline in his performance in recent years is a clear signal for us to change and move on from De Gea.

With that being said, a big thank you, David, for an unbelievable 12-year journey filled with jaw-dropping saves, unwavering commitment, and memories that will never fade. Wishing him nothing but success in his exciting new chapter!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good luck to Dave! And thanks!

It's the right time to part ways, and I hope United give him a testimonial. He deserves it.

bosniamanutd

Its going to be so weird..i am gonna miss him realy..thank you for saving our ass numerous times..farewell David

Jazz

No testimonial for him is a joke however you want to spin it. We're such a circus under the Glazers.
Really? I can't believe that. I doubt they would announce something like that so soon anyways.

Dazzmondo

All the best to him going forward, but I'm glad we have finally moved on from him.

Probably one of the most over-rated players of the past decade. I feel like he never improved much from that kid who was battling Lindegaard in his first couple of years here. He hit a comfort zone on some big contracts and never developed his game to compliment his obvious outstanding reflexes and handling ability. And, probably the worst thing for a keeper, never grew out of being timid and unimposing. Hopefully a new club can bring a bit of that out of him as I don't think being pandered to here ever did him any favours.
What a load of nonsense

Jazz

In fairness to the club, he had a contract renewal presented to him, tried to hardball and then had a few stinking performances. The end is really distasteful but David had a role to play as well as the club.

I’ll always remember him trying to keep the dam from crashing in around us in so many games since Fergie left. The 3-1 away to Arsenal (when Lingard scored two) comes to mind.
True. Would have been nice if he could have said goodbye to the fans at the stadium, but things were still up in the air at that time. Can't have a go at the club solely.

edgecutter

Best of luck to dave. Last few years were poor from him, but was incredible for about 5 seasons.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For someone that talks about the soul of the club and how Qatar would ruin us, you seem to be on some proper plastic crusade in this thread.

If you don't see how a guy with the most clean sheets in the club's history, who has been acknowledged as our best player in some of those awful years after Ferguson, deserves a proper send-off in front of the home fans, then I am not sure what more I can say/write.

And the people lauding this as some new era where the club is now supposedly becoming ruthless, yet scrubs like Maguire are given the captaincy and tolerated for years just demonstrates how this fanbase but especially the club itself has a lot of hypocrites.
:lol: I have no fecking clue what Qatar has to do with any of this. Nor do I have any issue with DDG getting some sort of send off. I just asked you a question. If you don’t want to answer that’s fine. Rant away.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
None of you have a clue what went on behind the scenes.

Football facts are he was well past his usefulness in the evolution of the team.
Time to be number 2 on lower wage or move on.
He chose move on.

Timing is right.

He was brilliant when he was brilliant but the last few years he was showing signs of the total opposite of brilliant.

He's been a great servant and we can all say thanks and wish him all the best. He has to have a special place in our hearts but its right now for the separation.

Good luck to DDG and thanks for the memories

Jericholyte2

This man has been an impediment to us ever being a great defensive unit. Best paid keeper in the world, with one stand out skill. About time, bye Dave.

What an absolutely classless post, show some fecking respect for a man who made most GK appearances for the club, most clean sheets for the club, 5 PFA TOTYs, our POTY for four years!

The guy served and gave his best years to a club that was far below his personal level and single-handedly saved us from becoming a bonafide mid-table team between 2015-2018.

Yes it’s objectively the right decision; he isn’t good enough on the ball for the manager’s philosophy. No he’s not been PRIME PAELLA DAVE for a few years and has been overtaken by others when the role of GK has evolved beyond his ability, but some just negate the incredible contributions made to the cause over the course of his time as a Man Utd player.

The man has earned the right to far more respect.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I never thought i would read such morally disgusting comments directed at Dave.
Some of us forget the many times he saved us single-handedly.
He did make some stupid mistakes lately but we should respect him too overall.

TrueRed79

Prime DDG was superb. Just think back to who played in front of him during those years though... Great servant. All the best.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Prime DDG was superb. Just think back to who played in front of him during those years though... Great servant. All the best.
Agree, but our club did not respect Vidic and Ferdinand at the end of their career too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Agree, but our club did not respect Vidic and Ferdinand at the end of their career too.
Vidic signed a deal with Inter midseason while he was still our captain.

Nothing against him for doing so, but that's hardly being disrespected by the club.

TrueRed79

Don't disagree but we know the club has been rotten from top to bottom for a long time. You cannot be surprised by this one bit.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Vidic signed a deal with Inter midseason while he was still our captain.

Nothing against him for doing so, but that's hardly being disrespected by the club.
Yes, but thats because he knew what our club was concocting to get rid of him.

Dazzmondo

I never thought i would read such morally disgusting comments directed at Dave.
Some of us forget the many times he saved us single-handedly.
He did make some stupid mistakes lately but we should respect him too overall.
Not a surprise at all. These sort of classless, vile, dumb comments have been all over this forum for years now in relation to David. Obviously a Man Utd legend, 5X PFA Team of the Year, 4X Man Utd Player of the Year and at his peak clearly in the discussion for best keeper in the world.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
All the best to him for the future but it was definitely the correct decision to move him on. He should've been moved on years ago but Woodward and Judge decided to give him a ridiculous contract which caused more frustration among fans who wanted to see us evolve as a football team and attempt to play a more dominant game with and without the ball. And with more and more clubs hiring managers with a proactive attacking mindset in the league, it became even more obvious the decision to give De Gea a £375k a week contract was up there with the worst decisions made by Matt Judge and Ed Woodward.

So all the best to De Gea in his future endeavours but i'm glad we have finally moved on. And if your GK is only there to save shots whilst being rooted to his line, then it's not a surprise that the likes of Guardiola and Klopp have taken advantage of the poor decisions made at United which hampered us but benefited our rivals who hired managers that expected their keepers to not only save shots but also prevent shots and to be the +1 in possession. That's how you control games by creating a strong first phase against the opponent's high pressure tactics which provides a strong structure/foundation for the whole team to play the game higher up the pitch. Hence why it's about attacking with 11 and defending with 11 proactively in a compact unit.

gajender

Wanted him gone for a while and he definitely overstayed his welcome and once his contract wasn't renewed writing was on the wall but now it being official there is definite tinge of sadness and feeling of end of an Era .

Good luck and best of luck for your Future Dave.
Thanks for all the memories .

lsd

The Oracle
A true legend who will always be remembered as such the best pure shot stopper I have seen.

Sadly once again though we as a club treated him very shabbily at the end.

Hopefully with new owners we will improve that side of the game too and learn to treat our legends better

Prodigy24

Man, where do I start. Unbelievable to think that he was here for 12 years, a guy from sunny Spain. I remember watching his first games for Atletico, thinking that he looked really funny with his lanky build. Was really excited when we signed him, and equally as nervous when he made his first mistake at the Community Shield against City, but it all turned out pretty good.

An absolute world class goalkeeper in his prime. Saved us countless of times with some of the most incredible saves we've ever seen. It's such a massive shame that he gave us his best years during our worst years. Prime Dave with a great United team would without question won a lot more than he did.

It was time to move on unfortunately, but the club should've handled the whole situation in a much, much better way. You don't treat a club legend like this. Same goes to the so called fans that have disrespected a club legend like a bunch of trolls the last few years. Will be interesting to see the reactions next time Onana makes a mistake.

Really hope that he will get a moment to say goodbye to the supporters at Old Trafford somehow, or at least get a testimonial.

An absolute legend of the club, without question. Wish him and his family all the very best for the future.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
The abuse he's had to face has been an absolute disgrace. Yes he was in decline and making mistakes but many of his mistakes were only costly because of the more numerous mistakes made by those up front which are of course treated much more leniently. He became the scapegoat for their failings. It was best for everyone that he moved on but not like this. He's only 32 so hopefully he'll get a move that'll revitalise him for the next few years.

Last edited:

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Love him for what he has given us but the time was right or maybe last year. He has been great for most of his time year but a lot of flaws in his game are being unearthed again with the focus more on ball playing from the back and lacking the command of his area. Just need to move on Maguire now.

ElDiabloRojo

Hope he finds a great club for himself.

Been a great keeper for us, super even at times.

van Nistelrooy

Why did we present de Gea with a framed shirt with the number '540' on it, when United themselves clock his appearance record at 545?

Zoo

Has to come back for a testimonial. Would have won more if SAF had stuck around.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Thank you big Dave! I'll forever remember the many great saves over the years and how you kept the club in the top tier as MVP a number of seasons.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Our best player in the post-Fergie era.

JuriM

There was too many games he was unstoppable, but this one game vs Arsenal really stood out.

Status
Not open for further replies.