David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVN1991

Still havent seen him linked with any club. Wouldnt surprise me if he ends up in Saudi Arabia.
Allegedly rejected Inter because they won't meet his wage demands. I could see him holding out for an offer from Spain considering he just got married and his daughter is still a toddler, he probably wants to settle down in his home country, don't see who'd have the means and need for him in La Liga though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Completely agree with Crafton's assessment. The extracts below are quite telling and part of the reason why we haven't evolved as a football team post Fergie imo.

Adam Crafton: "In 2019, De Gea once again ran his contract down to within a year of expiry and this time around, he almost doubled his wages in doing so. This was the tail-end of United’s era of desperation and excess under the calamitous executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who sanctioned the renewal, announced in September 2019, despite De Gea enduring a palpable slump in form during the 2018-19 season, following on from an under-par World Cup showing for Spain."

"De Gea’s slump in the spring of 2019 was extraordinary, demonstrating a litany of basic errors that appeared to hint at a major crisis of confidence. Perhaps, at that point, United felt he had enough credit in the bank to merit further patience, yet De Gea’s brinkmanship, heading into the final year of his deal, meant Woodward approved a contract that acted as a noose around the neck of both Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ten Hag because United vastly overpaid a goalkeeper whose skill set increasingly ill-befitted the style desired by coaches at the summit of modern football."
We're forgetting he wasn't very loyal, and if not for a fax machine error, would be playing for Real Madrid now. That brinkmanship strategy epitomises that. The club doesn't owe him loyalty if he didn't feel he owed us any. I'm glad he's gone, and hope Onana is the step up we need.

JagUTD

We're forgetting he wasn't very loyal, and if not for a fax machine error, would be playing for Real Madrid now. That brinkmanship strategy epitomises that. The club doesn't owe him loyalty if he didn't feel he owed us any. I'm glad he's gone, and hope Onana is the step up we need.
12 years in any context is pretty loyal no matter how you try and spin it. The fact machine thing was just a myth though wasn't it? I don't recall him ever making a huge fuss during his time here even when he could have one Madrid and once that fell through, he got on with it.

JagUTD

I think Onana will bring some entertainment with his antics on the ball and should help play through the press at times. But he is going to get targeted hard by teams on set pieces etc. He'll probably even encourage hard pressing too no doubt, so i just hope his confidence isn't misplaced.
I really hope he does well, it would be bizzare not to support one of our players but there are legitimate concerns with him.

SAFMUTD

Allegedly rejected Inter because they won't meet his wage demands. I could see him holding out for an offer from Spain considering he just got married and his daughter is still a toddler, he probably wants to settle down in his home country, don't see who'd have the means and need for him in La Liga though.
No keeper in the world is on the wages he used to have and if any club is willing to pay those it certainly won't be for De Gea. That's why I think he may go to Saudi Arabia I don't see anywhere else where he can get even half the wages he used to had.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
12 years in any context is pretty loyal no matter how you try and spin it. The fact machine thing was just a myth though wasn't it? I don't recall him ever making a huge fuss during his time here even when he could have one Madrid and once that fell through, he got on with it.
Correct. His head was turned that summer but he never made a fuss about it and happily signed a new contract after the deal fell through.

RVN1991

No keeper in the world is on the wages he used to have and if any club is willing to pay those it certainly won't be for De Gea. That's why I think he may go to Saudi Arabia I don't see anywhere else where he can get even half the wages he used to had.
Yeah apparently Inter offered him around 85k a week and he's holding out for 200k a week which, I love him, but is absolutely mental money for a player of his caliber.

SAFMUTD

Yeah apparently Inter offered him around 85k a week and he's holding out for 200k a week which, I love him, but is absolutely mental money for a player of his caliber.
Thats the reality slapping him in the face. He was holding to sign that 200K contract we offered looking to keep his 375K wages, now that he's a free agent he'll realize even 200K is absolutely mental money for a keeper. For reference the best paid keeper in the EPL is Ederson with 160K. I doubt De Gea will be able to get more than 100K if he's lucky.

Kaos

Thats the reality slapping him in the face. He was holding to sign that 200K contract we offered looking to keep his 375K wages, now that he's a free agent he'll realize even 200K is absolutely mental money for a keeper. For reference the best paid keeper in the EPL is Ederson with 160K. I doubt De Gea will be able to get more than 100K if he's lucky.
Officially, yes ;)

Oranges038

Outside of 3 clubs he won't get close to 100k a week there anyway. And none of them would want him at all.

Highly doubt many other Spanish clubs want him either, he not highly rated there at all. He's like their version of Rob Green or Richard Wright. Seen as quite the joke there from what I've gathered over the years.

wolvored

His loyalty was towards the 375k a week he was on. The highest paid goalkeeper over double the next best paid.

Red Comet

His loyalty was towards the 375k a week he was on. The highest paid goalkeeper over double the next best paid.
To be fair I would give my loyalty to anyone that would be willing to pay me nearly half a million a week to do something I’m good at.

And so would you.

Blood Mage

Has there ever been a better shot stopper than peak De Gea? His reflexes were fecking amazing and helped us to ignore all the deficiencies in his game for many years. Onana will concede goals next season that De Gea would have saved so we'll need to prepare ourselves for that. He will however also save goals that De Gea would have conceded.

Wilt

Left with truckloads of cash…. last 4 years paid £78,000,000

Think about that next time you look at your bank statement.

Glorio

Going to get an opportunity to say farewell to OT according to EtH. Good to hear

Sylar

We don't need onana to be saving every shot that no other keeper would. You don't get many of those to types in a season anyway.

The issue with ddg were the fundamental stuff where you take pressure of your defense by claiming that high cross late into the game, of sweeping behind to keep your team attack momentum going or being an extra player as a passing option. That with having the best view in front of him allowing him to command his defence.

Having a more competent keeper than DDG was a must. Forget his wages, even if he was on only 50k a week, Manchester United needed to move on from him since 2019 but we were left behind in that aspect. Other top teams would have transitioned him out long before (he wouldn't have come back for most top teams when he was last taken out).

I'm not surprised that he doesn't have great offers for him since becoming a free agent.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We don't need onana to be saving every shot that no other keeper would. You don't get many of those to types in a season anyway.

The issue with ddg were the fundamental stuff where you take pressure of your defense by claiming that high cross late into the game, of sweeping behind to keep your team attack momentum going or being an extra player as a passing option. That with having the best view in front of him allowing him to command his defence.

Having a more competent keeper than DDG was a must. Forget his wages, even if he was on only 50k a week, Manchester United needed to move on from him since 2019 but we were left behind in that aspect. Other top teams would have transitioned him out long before (he wouldn't have come back for most top teams when he was last taken out).

I'm not surprised that he doesn't have great offers for him since becoming a free agent.
Are there not stories circulating of DDG turning down Inters offer?

Oranges038

Has there ever been a better shot stopper than peak De Gea? His reflexes were fecking amazing and helped us to ignore all the deficiencies in his game for many years. Onana will concede goals next season that De Gea would have saved so we'll need to prepare ourselves for that. He will however also save goals that De Gea would have conceded.
Maybe he's gonna save ones that Dave couldn't, Brentford, Everton, West Ham, City etc etc etc.

Dorris

There’s absolutely no way he’s rejected to be Inter’s number 1. It’s mad PR or they’ve asked him to come in as number 2.

Pickle85

There’s absolutely no way he’s rejected to be Inter’s number 1. It’s mad PR or they’ve asked him to come in as number 2.
Why not? He could be holding out for a megabucks offer from Saudi or America? It'll be his last big contract so no great surprise if money is a major sticking point

cybertej29

I wish we could've given him a proper goodbye, this doesn't feel right.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Must be the financial pacakage. Italian football would suit him, especially in a team with a low block.
I agree, I think he'd be very decent there.
Probably is the money, can't imagine Inter would offer anywhere near what he was on at United.

Sylar

Are there not stories circulating of DDG turning down Inters offer?
Also strong rumours inter are looking to get Sommer
But if ddg has indeed turned it down, as said, it won't be a strong offer and it's no surprise he's not in strong demand

crossy1686

career ending
It wasn’t a fax machine, Madrid got cold feet and pulled the deal at the last minute, but he does have a habit of running his contract down in order to get the best deal possible for himself. That only works when you’re playing well though, the flip side is you play yourself out of a good contract when you have a shocking 4 month end to a season.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Yes and his name is Manuel Neuer. At his peak, he was better than De Gea at shot stopping.

Dorris

Why not? He could be holding out for a megabucks offer from Saudi or America? It'll be his last big contract so no great surprise if money is a major sticking point
Well mainly because there’s no way they’d actually want him to be number 1.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he is going to find it hard to get decent wages anywhere, although he has an incredible save him, his overall game is next to non existent and he has been a major factor in why we are so shite in defending the box as he just stands there, even when its clear he is the 100% best option to claim the ball.

He also holds on to the ball far too long when he does get it, I can count the amount of fast counters we launch in a game from him on 0 hands, he stands there, ushers his team up the pitch then its a casual roll out to a defender, or a hoof up the pitch to nobody.

crossy1686

career ending
First time I heard this you have a source for this mate?
Andy Mitten on the podcast Talk Of the Devils by the Athletic. He said that it was a Marca line that was used for PR purposes instead of them getting cold feet due to the fee, De Gea’s performances for Spain, and maybe a change of manager who wanted to go in a different direction? Can’t remember all the details but it was something along those lines. Maybe someone remembers the episode?

Fabio Rochemback

At his peak, I've never seen a better shot-stopper. Unfortunately his peak is long since passed and the game has moved on.

He'll always be a favourite of mine though. Good luck, Dave.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
His United career ended the way it started: having a bit of a mare against City at Wembley.

Status
Not open for further replies.