David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

It’s says a lot about the United squad (more so the squad players)

Nobody in the footballing world wants them.

Sylar

A question for those who considered GK a major priority if not the priority.

Would there have been any difference in results if De Gea was in goal?

Just to be clear, this isn't an attack on Onana. He's done well.
We might not have won the wolves match. Of course we won't know but onana did help with that, and well, there's no guarantee ddg would have saved the same shots or kept a clean sheet

SAFMUTD

Is he going to retire? Insane he hasn't found a club.
Surely won't retire. Maybe he's expecting some luck with an injury or something. But the fact Chelsea, Bayern and Madrid changed keepers an didn't even considered him gives a pretty clear example of how highly rated he currently is.

George The Best

You downplay how much we needed a De Gea replacement. He is still without a club for a reason. It was absolutely worth buying Onana. The biggest issue this transfer window is buying Mount. We didn't get the right profile of midfielder and we may pay harshly for that. Can't say much about Hojlund until I see him play, but I definitely would have preferred to see Kane or Osimhen playing for us.
Agree. A better window would have been Onana, Kane and Amrabat (or equivalent). Would not have cost us much more than we spent. Mount was a luxury we just didn’t need. We already have the same problem with Antony, who is looking like a very expensive mistake.

I mean how much more obvious can it be to De Gea fan boys that they vastly overrate him. He literally cannot find a club, and that’s in a window where plenty of teams have needed a keeper.
Maybe everyone’s wrong and they’re still right!
It’s ridiculous isn’t it. The proof is right there with his demand. No top club wants him as #1.

arthurka

Think we as fans have been put right back in our place, our "best" player isn't good enough to take onboard for free.

Oranges038

I mean how much more obvious can it be to De Gea fan boys that they vastly overrate him. He literally cannot find a club, and that’s in a window where plenty of teams have needed a keeper.
Maybe everyone’s wrong and they’re still right!
I don't see any PL clubs that would want him..

If you look at the top 2 or 3 in each big league, not one other top team wants or needs him.

And clubs outside of the top 2 or 3 in Spain, Italy or Germany aren't able to afford giving him anywhere near his previous wages and probably not even close to 100k a week.

As I posted before, it's more likely a case that nobody who can afford him wants him and nobody that might want or need him can afford him. So maybe he either needs to drop his wage demands and join a smaller team or hold out for a bigger deal from SA coming his way.

Born2Lose

Surely won't retire. Maybe he's expecting some luck with an injury or something. But the fact Chelsea, Bayern and Madrid changed keepers an didn't even considered him gives a pretty clear example of how highly rated he currently is.
De Gea really is the best example of how poorly this club is run. Struggling to find a club now but at United he was the best paid keeper in world football. Why would any big club go near a goalie who has a habit of folding in pressure games.

lex talionis

A moronic trade off? :lol:

We signed one of the best CDM’s in the world just last season, so why was this CDM priority so high on your list? Makes no sense. Sure, a backup (possibly Mainoo?) but we’ve been heavily linked with Amrabat so it’s clearly on the list & no, I’d say CF, CM & GK were all higher priorities than a backup CDM.

There were basically 2 CF’s of world class quality on the market this summer: Kane & Osimhen. Osimhen’s price seems prohibitive (hence not even PSG went in for him) & there’s still no evidence that Kane was gettable - not at the price Levy sold to Bayern anyway.
Anyhow, I’m not sure 1 CF addition and still neglecting the GK and CM position (relying on an ageing Eriksen/McFred) was going to propel us to a title or title charge. I’m glad we’ve upgraded GK & we’ve signed an exciting young forward, in a market that seems devoid of many genuine quality options. You call it moronic all you want, so let’s agree to disagree.
Casemiro’s age is catching up with him and can’t do it all alone now. No slag on on the Real and Brazil but we’ve seen what we’ve seen.

That we don’t have a proven striker is so beyond debate that deflections such as how Onana will transform our attack are getting tiresome. Onana is an upgrade on De Gea, but in no way does he solve our inability to convert on our chances on goal and it’s our inability to convert on chances on goal that killed us last season and, on cue, is killing us this season.

MegadrivePerson

De Gea really is the best example of how poorly this club is run. Struggling to find a club now but at United he was the best paid keeper in world football. Why would any big club go near a goalie who has a habit of folding in pressure games.
It's staggering that he was ever given the contract that he was given.

It was more than Alisson and Ederson earn combined!

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
It's not really surprising that he has to wait for the end of the window to find a club, if he does. He's an average GK who used to be the highest paid GK in the world by far, all the clubs who could offer him even half of his previous wages dont need/want him. The few teams who could be interested can gain a lot of leverage by stalling as long as they can.

SAFMUTD

Specially since that contract was given a season after he started to decline massively. There were clear signs about it, many here claimed we shouldn't even renew him yet we not only renewed him but nade him the best paid keeper, by quite some margin, in the world.

As you say shows exactly how poor this club is run.

Sylar

Specially since that contract was given a season after he started to decline massively. There were clear signs about it, many here claimed we shouldn't even renew him yet we not only renewed him but nade him the best paid keeper, by quite some margin, in the world.

As you say shows exactly how poor this club is run.
Yup, reminded me of the Rooney contract after Fergie left. It was a baffling decision, but probably worse for the DDG one because for Rooney, I think Chelsea were after him at least and we wanted to try back Moyes by keeping Rooney.

With DDG, no top team wanted him or needed him at the time.

Madrid had recently got Courtois, PSG had just got Buffon, Chelsea got Kepa, Barca had Stegen, he was not going City or LIverpool, Atleti had Oblak.... Juventus was maybe the only topish team (but they had just spent money on Sir Chesney the year before, and iirc that was the year they went all out to get Ronaldo, so no way they were giving two big contracts.

So given the market, there was no demand for him, so even at the time, we could have offered 150k which would have been still one of the top paying gigs, and nobody was matching it. It made no sense at all. I mentioned it before, but I remember Jose on Sky Sports even questioning it when it was reported. Baffling (but not unexpected given what weve seen from the club / woodward etc)

SAFMUTD

Yup, reminded me of the Rooney contract after Fergie left. It was a baffling decision, but probably worse for the DDG one because for Rooney, I think Chelsea were after him at least and we wanted to try back Moyes by keeping Rooney.

With DDG, no top team wanted him or needed him at the time.

Madrid had recently got Courtois, PSG had just got Buffon, Chelsea got Kepa, Barca had Stegen, he was not going City or LIverpool, Atleti had Oblak.... Juventus was maybe the only topish team (but they had just spent money on Sir Chesney the year before, and iirc that was the year they went all out to get Ronaldo, so no way they were giving two big contracts.

So given the market, there was no demand for him, so even at the time, we could have offered 150k which would have been still one of the top paying gigs, and nobody was matching it. It made no sense at all. I mentioned it before, but I remember Jose on Sky Sports even questioning it when it was reported. Baffling (but not unexpected given what weve seen from the club / woodward etc)
Exactly, thats why we end up having one of the most expensive wages in the world without even being a top 10 team. It didnt only happened with De Gea but also Martial, Sancho, Bruno, Maguire, feck even Brandon Williams has a contract of 65K or something.

We overpay these players not based on merit but on renewal time. It's like we must increase the wages each time we give a new contract even when players havent performed like we expected. Which hurts us both on FFP and makes its harder to move these players out when needed.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Exactly, thats why we end up having one of the most expensive wages in the world without even being a top 10 team. It didnt only happened with De Gea but also Martial, Sancho, Bruno, Maguire, feck even Brandon Williams has a contract of 65K or something.

We overpay these players not based on merit but on renewal time. It's like we must increase the wages each time we give a new contract even when players havent performed like we expected. Which hurts us both on FFP and makes its harder to move these players out when needed.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of those contract negotiations. Don't understand how we repeatedly land on such high wages for players who we sign with no competition in the market.

saik

I strongly believe this is what will happen with Bruno as well incase we try to move him on in a couple of years. No top club will be in for him as there are a lot of gaps in his game and he is already very weak physically.

fallengt

I think he still demand something >150k/w
"1 time EPL winner, 1 time FA cup winner" ain't exactly attractive. Lower it by half and there'll be plenty of offers

Last edited:

Idxomer

I haven't rated him in a long time but I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find a club if he's willing to consider all offers.

It is highly likely that he has narrowed down his options to playing in Spain or somewhere very close.

SAFMUTD

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of those contract negotiations. Don't understand how we repeatedly land on such high wages for players who we sign with no competition in the market.
Exactly its not like they have plenty of offers from other clubs wanting to match their wages never mind increase them. I like to think theres something we dont know because from the outside it seems like extreme idiocy.

arthurka

Who considered De Gea our best player the few years???
Well he was picked player of the year year after year. Golden glove winner and who knows what. Can't even find a club on free and Real even paid for the Spanish joker from Chelsea.

Eddy_JukeZ

Well he was picked player of the year year after year. Golden glove winner and who knows what. Can't even find a club on free and Real even paid for the Spanish joker from Chelsea.
He hasn't won the award since 2018. That's 5 years ago.

The past 2-3 years, no United fan thought he was our best player.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Speaks volumes when no team around his desired level wants to take him on a free whereas he was the highest paid goalkeeper in the world here.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Speaks volumes when no team around his desired level wants to take him on a free whereas he was the highest paid goalkeeper in the world here.
A lot of people would be surprised to see how less valued several players in our squad are outside the United bubble. From take for granted world beaters to supposed valuable squad options. Not that it would change much, most fans have their favourites and their scapegoats. As for the club, i think it's wishful thinking that they will see the light and decide to modernize the football operations. Even if they find the best in class, chances are they won't like what they'll hear from them.

Chief123

Who considered De Gea our best player the few years???
Of course he was. Some of you have short memories. There was a period where we were terrible and he was our outstanding performer each year. When Madrid were desperate for him.

I wonder if he'll retire.

He's had about 120m from us over the years. It's clear he's only interested in a very specific offer/club thats not going to come. If he wont drop down a tier or two might he call it a day and go enjoy his money.

Either that or go and play for peanuts at some lower division team close to home just because he loves the game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
A lot of people would be surprised to see how less valued several players in our squad are outside the United bubble. From take for granted world beaters to supposed valuable squad options. Not that it would change much, most fans have their favourites and their scapegoats. As for the club, i think it's wishful thinking that they will see the light and decide to modernize the football operations. Even if they find the best in class, chances are they won't like what they'll hear from them.
I think the problem lies in people thinking players can sustain or return to the top level they show from time to time.
DDG was on par with the best keepers in the world from around 2013 till 2017. After that, his form dropped. Most competent clubs would've binned him around 2019 after showing 2 years of sub-par performances (with the odd World Class performance here and there), regardless of what he's done in previous years. Instead, we gave him a new contract which I remember baffled Mourinho at the time, making him the highest paid keeper on the fecking planet. Turns out the old man was right.

Chelsea dropped Cech when his performances started to dip, regardless of what he had done for them all those years ago.
City dropped Hart after they wanted to change their GK style (to improve build up play as he wasn't up to the required standard), regardless of what he'd done before.

I know change doesn't always work out, but persisting with someone who has been sub-par for a considerable time is even worse. It's fear of change even if the current option is below average, and not something this club should be tolerating.

Same for Maguire (until ETH), same for Lingard, etc.

These guys wouldn't last 2 full years nevermind the entire length of DDG's contract from 2019 (?) at any of Chelsea/City/Liverpool/Arsenal etc.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Apparently he was seen wandering the streets of Luton but we opted for Tim Krul as our backup keeper instead.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think the problem lies in people thinking players can sustain or return to the top level they show from time to time.
DDG was on par with the best keepers in the world from around 2013 till 2017. After that, his form dropped. Most competent clubs would've binned him around 2019 after showing 2 years of sub-par performances (with the odd World Class performance here and there), regardless of what he's done in previous years. Instead, we gave him a new contract which I remember baffled Mourinho at the time, making him the highest paid keeper on the fecking planet. Turns out the old man was right.

Chelsea dropped Cech when his performances started to dip, regardless of what he had done for them all those years ago.
City dropped Hart after they wanted to change their GK style (to improve build up play as he wasn't up to the required standard), regardless of what he'd done before.

I know change doesn't always work out, but persisting with someone who has been sub-par for a considerable time is even worse. It's fear of change even if the current option is below average, and not something this club should be tolerating.

Same for Maguire (until ETH), same for Lingard, etc.

These guys wouldn't last 2 full years nevermind the entire length of DDG's contract from 2019 (?) at any of Chelsea/City/Liverpool/Arsenal etc.
Mourinho would have probably preferred a keeper more commanding in his box, but he didn't have issues with the renewal and he even granted De Gea's wish for the club to hire his keeper coach of choice. The most baffling thing about it is that the club decided to make him the highest earner in the world in his position in an age when the role has been gradually moving further and further away from his better attributes. Then, we doubled-down by making a centre-half who belongs in the same category as De Gea the most expensive defender in the world. At other clubs, like Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern/City, there wouldn't even be a discussion on executive level about the "usefulness" of players like Fred, VdB or McT, let alone players who have been good servants of the club.

Is it ?
I think we could make decent profit with licha, shaw, rashford, ganacho if club decided to sell. The rest of them? Doubt it
If you expect a "decent profit, as you say, i wholeheartedly agree. But if your expectations are for Rashford to fetch an Mbappe-like fee, Garnacho to be around 100 million and you also treat Shaw like "one of the best FBs in the world" and you also want to turn a profit from selling Martinez, you'll be disappointed. Very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.