David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy

I want the supposed "transformations" that was so obvious to follow when we replace the "shit" DDG with the modern keeper. According to footballing experts it was the finishing touch to this "super team" that struggles to score goals. I bet you love watching Onana pin beautiful passes just to finish it up by our proficient attack and midfield.
Blimey, give it time mate. Can't transform that quick.

Red00012

It's fecking hilarious (and damning) that Manchester United's two highest paid players couldn't find another team in Europe to play for once they left us.

How do we end up paying premium wages to players who nobody else wants? It's like the forces of supply and demand don't exist in the topsy turvy world of Disneyland FC.
I feel like Martial will go the same way next season when he’s released on a free . Who wants a crock.

Oranges038

Only a few games in and the daggers are already out for Onana.

At the same the best shot stopper ever still can't find himself a job.

Give it time, eventually you will see.

Kostov

Blimey, give it time mate. Can't transform that quick.
I have no other choice but to give it time, but you have to admit it's pretty obvious that our problems would not be solved by Onana. And I have to say that Onana has positively surprised me even though I knew that he is a top top GK.

Kostov

Only a few games in and the daggers are already out for Onana.

At the same the best shot stopper ever still can't find himself a job.

Give it time, eventually you will see.
No daggers are out for Onana, don't be laughable, he has been great.

You were so hung up on DDG and I am pretty much sure that you claimed how Onana will have transformative effect on this team. Well please enlighten us how has that gone?

It's pretty much fair play compared to DDG also, same midfield and attack as DDG had infront of him last season.

JB7

Onana has been top class and I already like him, he is a top GK. However it was painfully obvious and still is that we have far bigger issues than the GK. And comparing DDG to Weghorst is the laughable part of your post.
Very true in fairness, clubs actually wanted to (and did) sign Weghorst.

RedStarUnited

I want the supposed "transformations" that was so obvious to follow when we replace the "shit" DDG with the modern keeper. According to footballing experts it was the finishing touch to this "super team" that struggles to score goals. I bet you love watching Onana pin beautiful passes just to finish it up by our proficient attack and midfield.
De Geas contract was up, a modern keeper was available for a decent amount. Offcourse it made every sense in the world to take the opportunity.

And Onana has added a new level of play to our game tha De Gea didnt have.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Onana’s been excellent in every way.

It’s not his fault that his great passes are met by an outfield team who are clueless and have no direction.

Wish DDG all the best btw and hope he lowers his daft wages and goes on to play somewhere enjoyable.

Asger

Onana’s been excellent in every way.

It’s not his fault that his great passes are met by an outfield team who are clueless and have no direction.

Wish DDG all the best btw and hope he lowers his daft wages and goes on to play somewhere enjoyable.
Been excellent execpt it was stupid of him to come out when Wolves should have got a penalty for.

samlee86

Our Sunday league team could do with a new shot stopper. However, it’s 7 a side, so hoofing it forward isn’t going to work.

PM Dave if you’re interested.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Been excellent execpt it was stupid of him to come out when Wolves should have got a penalty for.
They all do it though. Ederson does it, Alisson does it. It is a risk you get with this type of goalie. Sure they all have a screw loose and they are all frustrated outfielders who think they can win every single ball. As long as they don't do it too often, the benefits outway and deficiencies.

Oranges038

No daggers are out for Onana, don't be laughable, he has been great.

You were so hung up on DDG and I am pretty much sure that you claimed how Onana will have transformative effect on this team. Well please enlighten us how has that gone?

It's pretty much fair play compared to DDG also, same midfield and attack as DDG had infront of him last season.
You can't see the difference he's made already?

So much more composed on the ball at the back, less panic on high balls around the box, sweeping up behind the back. All the basics covered and that's before you even start looking at his saves.

Don't think I've ever claimed he would transform the attack or whatever it is your claiming. But I have been of the opinion that replacing DDG was top priority this summer. It's been done and thus far he hasn't been missed. It's a process that takes time to find and bed in new players, new ideas and adapt to a new way of playing from the back.

We must now move on and address several other positions, definitely one at least needed in centre back and midfield this window. Maybe a backup centre forward. After that a new right back or two. Teams have already started to press the ball to AWB because he's now seen as the weakest ball player at the back, it's true, and both him and Dalot need to go in the next window or next summer.

arnie_ni

Give it some time like 10-15 games at least before Gloating and all this I told you so , it's work in progress .
I don't think they mean it as a slight on Onana. It's a dig at posters that blamed all our poor football on our goal keeper.

Ddg needed replaced.

Replacing ddg wasn't going to transform our outfielders ability to keep/retain possession,.move it quicker, create more chances and score more goals as a lot of posters insinuated

Lyng

@Kostov is not saying anything wrong though? He is admitting that Onana has been great for us, but also pointing out that goal keeper wasnt our biggest issue. Its clear as day that the lack of goals is hurting us. The biggest issue last season was our lack of goals, and it is the biggest reason for our problems right now.
Onana has been fantastic and we look much better with him. Our biggest issue of the missing goals is not something he fixes though.

arnie_ni

@Kostov is not saying anything wrong though? He is admitting that Onana has been great for us, but also pointing out that goal keeper wasnt our biggest issue. Its clear as day that the lack of goals is hurting us. The biggest issue last season was our lack of goals.
Hopefully to be resolved by our new striker but I'm not betting on it. Our midfield is a shambles which was our 2nd biggest priority in my book.

Kostov

De Geas contract was up, a modern keeper was available for a decent amount. Offcourse it made every sense in the world to take the opportunity.

And Onana has added a new level of play to our game tha De Gea didnt have.
He was available for a market fee that would have bought as a good GK next season also. Onana being a top GK of course makes it a good transfer all round, the point is, we should have sorted our priorities much earlier and better. I don't think we've done very well by upgrading on DDG but going into the season with the current midfield and attack.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think they mean it as a slight on Onana. It's a dig at posters that blamed all our poor football on our goal keeper.

Ddg needed replaced.

Replacing ddg wasn't going to transform our outfielders ability to keep/retain possession,.move it quicker, create more chances and score more goals as a lot of posters insinuated
Exactly this

Kostov

@Kostov is not saying anything wrong though? He is admitting that Onana has been great for us, but also pointing out that goal keeper wasnt our biggest issue. Its clear as day that the lack of goals is hurting us. The biggest issue last season was our lack of goals, and it is the biggest reason for our problems right now.
Onana has been fantastic and we look much better with him. Our biggest issue of the missing goals is not something he fixes though.
Thank you. Much better is something that I think is exaggeration though.

Kostov

Very true in fairness, clubs actually wanted to (and did) sign Weghorst.
Here you are, the modern GK expert. Not sure which one of you or the orranges guy hates DDG more. I was beginning to worry once the DDG to Real/Bayern popped up, not sure how you would handle if something like that happens.

I was beginning to worry once the DDG to Real/Bayern popped up, not sure how you would handle if something like that happens.
Ancelotti and Tuchel, two CL winning coaches, vetoed that transfer. They don’t want him. It’s damming. Real and Ancelotti went for Kepa instead.

Tuchel also prefers Ortega from City, the same #2 who outperformed DDG in his last ever Utd game.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

He was available for a market fee that would have bought as a good GK next season also. Onana being a top GK of course makes it a good transfer all round, the point is, we should have sorted our priorities much earlier and better. I don't think we've done very well by upgrading on DDG but going into the season with the current midfield and attack.
But we do have a new midfielder and attacker in Mount and Hoijland. If im not mistaken Mount was our first signing this summer so maybe what you are saying is we should have bought someone better than Mount? the jury is still out on Rasmus.

Kostov

But we do have a new midfielder and attacker in Mount and Hoijland. If im not mistaken Mount was our first signing this summer so maybe what you are saying is we should have bought someone better than Mount? the jury is still out on Rasmus.
Better is not the right word imo. Mount was not the midfielder we needed though, Hojlund is a kid that we are yet to see how he fares, so at this moment the only upgrade we have got is Onana on DDG, with Hojlund bound to be an upgrade since it was a empty space before him anyway.

Kostov

Ancelotti and Tuchel, two CL winning coaches, vetoed that transfer. They don’t want him. It’s damming. Real and Ancelotti went for Kepa instead.

Tuchel also prefers Ortega from City, the same #2 who outperformed DDG in his last ever Utd game.
And ETH approved Antony for 100m euros after coaching him for 2 seasons, he is also a CL proven manager by many accounts. Bayern are penny pinching for a GK all over Europe after spending the money on Kane, it means feck all.

Marcelinho87

Lets wait until we have a striker on the pitch at least eh? Takes longer than 180 minutes for stuff to click and Onana has been our best or one of the better players in each game.

Kostov

Lets wait until we have a striker on the pitch at least eh? Takes longer than 180 minutes for stuff to click and Onana has been our best or one of the better players in each game.
I mentioned previously, we didn't have a striker last year either. Weghorst and his championship level game does not count as one anyway. :D

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Literally nobody said this. But loads of people said that DDG’s terrible ability on the ball was a problem for the team. A problem that has thankfully gone away. However we obviously need to do more than play the ball around the back better than last season to win football matches.

For some weird reason you were in denial about that problem last season. Just like you now seem intent to be in denial about how much better Onana is on the ball than DDG ever was. Weird hill to die on but you do you.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
But would you prefer DDG in goal still? You’ve taken this topic to be the one you hold on to for whatever reason. Surely you can see the negatives of DDG being in goal?

quadrant

Literally nobody said this. But loads of people said that DDG’s terrible ability on the ball was a problem for the team. A problem that has thankfully gone away. However we obviously need to do more than play the ball around the back better than last season to win football matches.

For some weird reason you were in denial about that problem last season. Just like you now seem intent to be in denial about how much better Onana is on the ball than DDG ever was. Weird hill to die on but you do you.
They've found their strawman, they're going to flog it all season.

JB7

Here you are, the modern GK expert. Not sure which one of you or the orranges guy hates DDG more. I was beginning to worry once the DDG to Real/Bayern popped up, not sure how you would handle if something like that happens.
Nobody "hates" De Gea, there is, and always was, quite the difference between pointing out that he's just not very good and hating him. Just as the only people who said we would magically become a great attacking team just by changing the goalkeeper were the people, such as yourself, who thought De Gea was great, none of De Gea's genuine detractors said so, there was a general attitude around pointing out areas he made it difficult for the team but a recognition that there were far more than one problem area in the team. I hope/d he would get a good move as I've literally stood behind the bloke for over 10 years all over the world, but the sad fact is he is not a very good goalkeeper anymore, that realisation took longer for some than others evidently.

Oranges038

The only people I can remember saying that a GK wouldn't transform the attack, were the DDG defenders who threw that line out as a way of saying he wasn't a problem. Saying a forward was a more pressing concern.

Now, they are in here claiming they were right that replacing the keeper wouldn't solve the attack.

lex talionis

The venom that a significant section of the fanbase directed at De Gea near the end was considerable. It is what it is, but let's not pretend that it isn't.

Kostov

But would you prefer DDG in goal still? You’ve taken this topic to be the one you hold on to for whatever reason. Surely you can see the negatives of DDG being in goal?
If it meant getting a top class striker like Kane/Osimhen and a top class midfielder I’d rather he was in goal. I think that would have improved our team much much more.

RVN1991

Give it some time like 10-15 games at least before Gloating and all this I told you so , it's work in progress .
Not really trying to gloat, Onana looks like the signing of the summer for us by far, it was just always a silly notion that our midfield issues were because our GK was crap at passing the ball and not lack of quality/ lack of structure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not really trying to gloat, Onana looks like the signing of the summer for us by far, it was just always a silly notion that our midfield issues were because our GK was crap at passing the ball and not lack of quality/ lack of structure.
But they were both rightfully identified as issues?

Hughie77

Another feck up the way he left by a club that's supposed to have quality and class.. DDG class keeper and decent guy .

lex talionis

If it meant getting a top class striker like Kane/Osimhen and a top class midfielder I’d rather he was in goal. I think that would have improved our team much much more.
The absolute truth.

We badly needed a proven 9 such as Kane or Osimhen, but instead we spent a huge sum on a keeper and a huge sum on a striker who will need at least a full season to bed in and is very unlikely to hit level Kane is at right now.

As fantastic as Onana will prove to be, there will be no "transformation" of our attack led by our keeper, even if he starts creeping into the center circle. Onana did have one fantastic pass to Garnacho that led to a potential goal scoring chance, but without a striker to make something of such a chance clean sheets will be kept against us. Despite De Gea's faults, he got most of the basics right most of the time -- if we had to do it all over again surely the club would understand the folly of getting rid of De Gea and refusing to bring in a proven striker.

Kostov

Well there were lots of poster that claimed he will transform our game, and though that it should be a priority to improve the GK department, if that did not mean the finishing touch to a 20 year old striker for an absolute fortune and a number 10 that we didn't mean than what was it?

And DDG "terrible ability" is a bit of a stretch doesn't it? DDG was hardly Martin Dubrawka even though Onana is on a different level.

And no nobody was in denial about Onana and DDG, just the few of you who though that Onana will have some miracle influence on a team that has no RM, an injury crook at striker, Rashford and another kid at LW. Funds have been a problem last January, now again, that's why it was important to prioritize and fans like myself preferred to direct money in more important reinforcement. IMO we've done completely the opposite. Spent a fortune on a midfielder that we didn't need, a kid for our only striker and a top class GK, if that is good enough for you than so be it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well there were lots of poster that claimed he will transform our game, and though that it should be a priority to improve the GK department, if that did not mean the finishing touch to a 20 year old striker for an absolute fortune and a number 10 that we didn't mean than what was it?

And DDG "terrible ability" is a bit of a stretch doesn't it? DDG was hardly Martin Dubrawka even though Onana is on a different level.

And no nobody was in denial about Onana and DDG, just the few of you who though that Onana will have some miracle influence on a team that has no RM, an injury crook at striker, Rashford and another kid at LW. Funds have been a problem last January, now again, that's why it was important to prioritize and fans like myself preferred to direct money in more important reinforcement. IMO we've done completely the opposite. Spent a fortune on a midfielder that we didn't need, a kid for our only striker and a top class GK, if that is good enough for you than so be it.
The goalkeeper had to be upgraded. That’s a fact. He wasn’t good enough and was costing us. So far it looks like his replacement is exactly what we need. How about being pleased about that instead of moaning about all the other areas of the team that need upgrading? Or, at the very least keep your moaning about them to threads that aren’t about goalkeeping?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.