David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinC00

Never will be a club legend for me. Length of tenure isn't the sole equation for me if it is then people better start putting Jesse Lingard on their lists of club legends given he joined our youth club in 2000 and only has 2 less cup wins than DDG had and wasn't single handily the reason why we lost cups like DDG.

There's a way to handle departures of players who've played for this club for 10+ years and this was not it.
I didn't see people saying this about Jesse Lingard who was with us for 20 years between youth and senior.

Idxomer

Flawed keeper but he easily had the next reflexes in the last 10 years or so.

Not gonna pretend I'm sad to see him go but it's definitely the end of an era.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For five or six seasons he was an incredible shot-stopper, probably the best I've seen in my time watching the sport.

I've been very critical of him for the last four years or so, but part of that is purely because it was hard to watch someone who was once so good become so average. Having one or two poor seasons at the end is one thing, but unfortunately he was allowed to just continue on for five seasons which unfortunately did hurt his legacy in a lot of peoples eyes. Now that he's finally moving on it's time to try to forget this poor period and remember him for how good he once was.

Thanks for the good memories Dave.

saivet

Just seen Bruno's post about how he deserved to say goodbye at the stadium with fans which probably does indicate what seems to be the wide assumption that it wasn't handled all that well.

Good luck to him, this was the right time to part ways (maybe a little late) but he's a club legend and hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Delano

Absolute legend. I hate this revisionist history about him.

The time was right for him to leave, but this guy was superhuman for years. Stunning in his prime and one of the few quality players we've had in the post Ferguson era.

Wish him nothing but the best.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In fairness to the club, he had a contract renewal presented to him, tried to hardball and then had a few stinking performances. The end is really distasteful but David had a role to play as well as the club.

I’ll always remember him trying to keep the dam from crashing in around us in so many games since Fergie left. The 3-1 away to Arsenal (when Lingard scored two) comes to mind.

LARulz

Legend. Deserved a significantly better end than he got

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thanks for everything. He has been our best player for a period of time during post Fergie era, when we were quite shite.

Sad to see him leave like that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I didn't see people saying this about Jesse Lingard who was with us for 20 years between youth and senior.
Care to guess the difference between a multiple club player of the year winner and a second-rate youth player with an inflated ego and very little ability?

jesperjaap

Was decent the first half of lsat season, but it is the right time for both parties to move on.

But it has been poorly handled, not getting a testomonial when he is the only remaining player from Fergies time (that actually played) and also arguably been our best player over the whole period that Fergie retired with a few player of the season awards.

Form has dropped the last 4seasons or so, but lets not forget he was one of the best keeper in the world for a fair perod and is undoubtedly one of the best this club has had.

In my 4.5decades supporting the club only VDS and Schemeichel are above him, nobody else has been close to those, DeGea is way above all bar them for me.

And people can go on with there stats, the weakness of his feet in the modern game and his errors....but even with the recent form, he wont be easily replaced. Like the centre forward position here, its very much a pressure to wear that shirt that many top players have come to the club and failed to fill, people seem far too confident of the likes of Onana being a success here and instantly improving our side, personally not so confident in that at all, even though like I say it was the time for him to go

brian017

Sorry the way it ended. Thanks for the 12 years of memories. Club legend despite what many might think. All the best for whatever the future brings. The last link to a SAF title winning team, a sad day

Varane around town

Wow. It's going to be weird not seeing Dave in between the sticks.

All the best Dave, many many great seasons at the club. His performance against Arsenal away in 2017 was one of the best I've ever seen. We would've been a mid-table team without him.

Deserves a testimonial.

Irwin99

Legend for the club. Yes the last few years were very mixed but between 2013-2018 there was no keeper you'd rather have here.

Some very fond memories of his performances:
Madrid 2013
Liverpool 2014 (the 3-0 game).
Arsenal 2018...the saves in that match :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spurs 2019

I'm sure i'm missing many more but some great memories off the top of my head. Best of luck Dave

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Care to guess the difference between a multiple club player of the year winner and a second-rate youth player with an inflated ego and very little ability?
It's like people think in absolutes with zero nuance and never ponder why others may feel a certain way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't disagree it appears the club could have maybe handled this better but then again - what departure from a club is ever truly graceful? We have had a lot of great players leave through the back door, as they have at many (most?) other clubs. And frankly, Dave seems to be the kinda guy who may prefer it this way.

On another note: thanks for all the memories, you truly were a great and the rock that held us together at times when everything else seemed to fall apart. You are a club legend and wish you the very best in the remainder of your footballing career, and the rest of your life overall. I hope the club will ensure you will become forever enshrined in this club's great history. Thanks Dave!
Aye, many great players have left the club in less than ideal circumstances. In this case though it was particularly needless.

It's been very clear for quite a while that De Gea needed to be replaced. And his contract ending this summer was the perfect opprtunity for a graceful exit. So the club could and should have have just made that call and let it happen.

Instead they hummed and hawed over what they wanted to do, offered him contracts he should never have been offered before withdrawing at least some of those offers, leading us to what was roundly seen as an odd and messy exit.

I see people say the club couldn't afford to be sentimental, but that isn't the complaint in this case. It was that they weren't ruthless enough, only reaching the correct outcome in spite of themselves. And by not being ruthless enough they inadvertently treated De Gea worse than if they had just point blank told him "your time here is done, we will not be offering you a new contract, best of luck with the rest of your career".

But whatever. It's done now and hopefully no relationships were badly soured.

El Zoido

I remember the bedsheets... I remember his debut..
Was incredible for several seasons..
So many great memories..

Hope he gets a great club or a massive pay day.. whatever the feck he wants.. All the best DDG.
He’s had a massive pay day for the past however many years with us. He wouldn’t even get that much playing in Saudi Arabia.

United Hobbit

I just hope we've got a deal already signed with a replacement and aren't shooting ourselves in the foot letting him go without a replacement. If I had faith in those in charge I'd say we've signed someone (Onana?) And are letting DDG have his moment before announcing him in a couple of days time?

Do people rate Onana?

MoXoM

Now that it’s official, I’m feel really sad.

Thanks for everything David!

Best of luck!

RuudTom83

When a player leaves is rarely ever clean and respectful on both sides...so it's a shame Dave finishes like this, however it's not as easy as fans would like to make out.

But putting that to one side, he was truly magnificent in his prime and pulled of some amazing saves.

Thanks for the memories Dave!

JustinC00

United have handled this very poorly
No. He had a contract for months that he refused to sign holding out for more. He played this poorly we were just ruthless instead of giving in. This is what people wanted from our board. If this was Harry Maguire or Fred no one would be saying it was handled poorly.

SB16

It's a shame that he wasn't afforded a farewell befitting his status and contribution to the club over 12 years. A United legend through through.

IRELANDUNITED

Sad way for him to leave. He doesn’t give a single mention to ten Hag so there’s obviously a bit of bitterness in this, which you can’t really blame him for feeling. But overall it was time for him to go, it just should have been handled better.

Banat

Surprised with the negative shit he gets on this forum, even Phil fecking Jones got much better farewell here (Yeah, I know, injuries…).
United Legend, farewell DDG and thank you for everything!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thanks for all the service, but equally I am glad that we will be going into next season with a new GK.

Member 101269

I just hope we've got a deal already signed with a replacement and aren't shooting ourselves in the foot letting him go without a replacement. If I had faith in those in charge I'd say we've signed someone (Onana?) And are letting DDG have his moment before announcing him in a couple of days time?

Do people rate Onana?
Not the thread for that; lets thank DDG for some wonder moments

RedStarUnited

Just seen Bruno's post about how he deserved to say goodbye at the stadium with fans which probably does indicate what seems to be the wide assumption that it wasn't handled all that well.

Good luck to him, this was the right time to part ways (maybe a little late) but he's a club legend and hope he does well wherever he ends up.
He was a dodgy fax machine away from not being able to do this or I should say not wanting to do this.

arnie_ni

Honestly they didn't. Fans want a kumbaya situation but the truth is his wages didn't match his talent at this moment and he wasn't williig to take a step back from them. We've been way too sentimental in the past with these things, this HAD to happen this way.
No it didn't. Make the decision a few weeks or months ago and let old Trafford give him a proper send off in his last home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.