David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

He wouldnt have lasted so long at Madrid if he played like he has with us last few years.
He would have been out after the 18/19 season. No way Madrid put up with terrible performances like that.

If De Gea doesn't like the treatment he's received from this fanbase, he wasn't ready for what the Madrid fans would have done.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Legend and a professional. Hope whatever you do next brings you alot of happiness dave. Watching a skinny boy arrive from a.madris between the goals and rose to such a phenomenal player for a numbe of years wws surreal. Thanks you for all the memories.

Last edited:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Thanks and good luck to a club legend.

Thought he was at times overrated but he also gave us some beautiful moments too.

Hope his new home will love and appreciate him as well.

CM

It feels slightly harsh to say about a player who has been here for over a decade but my overriding feeling is one of relief. De Gea provided us with some great moments but it's been a messy couple of seasons for him, and it still felt touch and go over whether he'd get a huge new contract predicated on sentimentality. This is the best resolution for all parties.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I feel really sad reading this. Yes it’s the right time for all parties but he was one of my favourites and he saved our skins many times over the period since Fergie retired. Best of luck for his new challenge

KeanoMagicHat

Never will be a club legend for me. Length of tenure isn't the sole equation for me if it is then people better start putting Jesse Lingard on their lists of club legends given he joined our youth club in 2000 and only has 2 less cup wins than DDG had and wasn't single handily the reason why we lost cups like DDG.

I didn't see people saying this about Jesse Lingard who was with us for 20 years between youth and senior.
De Gea won 4 Man United player of theyears and 5 PFA Team of the Years! Might as well be comparing Roy Keane and Phil Neville.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Our club could have given him a decent farewell at OT in front of our fans.

EI Beatle

A Great Servant to the club, Always Professional on and off the pitch and he always fronted the Media after a bad game.

My Highlight was the match vs Arsenal in the 17/18 Season -

Edwards6

Great news, he's been great for us but it's time to move on

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would defend him all day long when he first arrived and was getting stick. Remember the stat that he’s the worst long range shot stopper in Spain? And ‘Arry turned go with Spurs and they tried shooting from the half way line multiple times that game. Utterly bizarre looking back on it.

He then became incredible at one point, I never thought he was the worlds best because Bayern had that but DDG was close and saved us multiple times.

The ending has been bad though, I’ve wanted him gone for 4-5 years now but the way it’s been dealt with has been terrible.

I don’t have him as a legend, I have him the tier below, but still an incredible goalkeeper at his peak

Idxomer

Why close the other thread in the transfer forum? He's still a free agent and needs to find a club.

GoldanoGraham

Correct decision, goalkeeping requirements have evolved and as we saw last season the ball at feet and ability to pass out the press is something that we need and that Dave is unable to provide.

Great servant, excellent shot stopper and all round great guy.

Adios.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If only that fax machine had not broke... Madrid would have had a CL or two less and United would have moved past him years ago, as they should have.

Similar feeling as when Anderson left. Long overdue, thanks for the memories.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Correct decision, goalkeeping requirements have evolved and as we saw last season the ball at feet and ability to pass out the press is something that we need and that Dave is unable to provide.

Great servant, excellent shot stopper and all round great guy.

Adios.
And you think that Onana will be an all-rounder and therefore better than DDG?
Remains to be seen.

MyBloodIsRed

Big Dave.... top servant but our style needs to change and that means we need to upgrade the keeper style.

Thanks for everything #1.... #DaveSaves

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
One of the saddest departures for me since I have supported the club. He was our no.1 for literally half of the time I have watched United.

I hope fans remember him for the brilliant shotstopper he was at his peak, and the breathtaking moments he created which I certainly remember still to this day, rather than the last 3 or so years.

I still consider him one of the goalies greats we had, and wish him all but the best for the future

Marcelinho87

Up there with Schmeichel & VDS, incredible keeper, but the timings right.

Hopefully he gets a testimonial at OT at some point, but FFS don't let it go to penalties :wenger:
He is nowhere near Schmeichel or VDS, longevity is all he has with them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If only that fax machine had not broke... Madrid would have had a CL or two less and United would have moved past him years ago, as they should have.

Similar feeling as when Anderson left. Long overdue, thanks for the memories.
Would've made no difference because it never existed

Devil You Know

He was brilliant in the seasons when we were crap.

When you're supporting a poorly organised team, the goalkeeper will invariably be the best player.

No disrespect to what Dave gave United. He can only do the job he was asked to do, and he did it well. But he wasn't always great in big cup games. And his tenure coincides too much with our club's nadir for me to consider him an outright legend. If somebody asked me to name 20 Manchester United players from our history without thinking too much about it, DDG wouldn't get in the list.

But I wish him all the best. A great servant to the club, even if he doesn't quite get into the upper echelons.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He is nowhere near Schmeichel or VDS, longevity is all he has with them.
As a shot stopper he's up there with them but never managed to solve coming out for crosses and his distribution was poor.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Whoever says that he didn't deserved a proper farewell because "all the money he made from us" needs to go feck off and find another club. Bunch of fecking plastic fans.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At his peak, you could sense strikers feared him. The best goalkeeper I’ve ever seen. He was ridiculous at times carrying the team from goal. What a keeper.

VixV

It’s gonna be weird not seeing him in goal next season, I’m thankful that we have had him for so long and he dedicated himself to the club, but I do think it’s absolutely the right decision for both parties.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck it, can we once stop complaining and appreciate the lad for everything he has done ? Take your bashing to a different thread.

manichester

Anyones long term confidence would have been dented with some of the defensive performances that he experienced. Single handed rescued a lot of points. I wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.