David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

The annual late season blunders did him in in the end

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Reading fans opinion about Dave reminded me on Rooney's situation when he was leaving. "You are good as your last game/season was" way of thinking.
People even dispute is Dave a club legend or not. Bloody hell.

arnie_ni

For five or six seasons he was an incredible shot-stopper, probably the best I've seen in my time watching the sport.

I've been very critical of him for the last four years or so, but part of that is purely because it was hard to watch someone who was once so good become so average. Having one or two poor seasons at the end is one thing, but unfortunately he was allowed to just continue on for five seasons which unfortunately did hurt his legacy in a lot of peoples eyes. Now that he's finally moving on it's time to try to forget this poor period and remember him for how good he once was.

Thanks for the good memories Dave.
Great post

Idxomer

He has been always prone to late season blunders and big mistakes in important games, even at his peak under LVG and Mourinho.

crossy1686

career ending

His form at the end of this season could have legitimately cost a manager his job. Imagine we dropped down to 5th and then he has that horror show in the FA cup final and in Sevilla? Not looking good for the manager at that point is it. People rightly start asking why we're forcing (apparently good) players to play in a system they can't play in etc. The manager has made the right call on all accounts here.

crossy1686

career ending
Reading fans opinion about Dave reminded me on Rooney's situation when he was leaving. "You are good as your last game/season was" way of thinking.
You consider Dave to be up their with the likes of Cantona, Best, Scholes, Keane etc? The guy couldn't get in the Spain squad...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His form at the end of this season could have legitimately cost a manager his job. Imagine we dropped down to 5th and then he has that horror show in the FA cup final and in Sevilla? Not looking good for the manager at that point is it. People rightly start asking why we're forcing (apparently good) players to play in a system they can't play in etc. The manager has made the right call on all accounts here.
I was always Dave's huge fan but even i don't dispute Erik's decision in letting Dave go. He just doesn't fit in system. Problem is in rewritting history. All of sudden, Dave was average player for us.

He deserved far better from fans.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You consider Dave to be up their with the likes of Cantona, Best, Scholes, Keane etc? The guy couldn't get in the Spain squad...
First of all, he was in Spain's squad.
And yes, Dave is an absolute legend of this club. By all merits. Performances, honours, longevity and his behaviour all these years.

It is another topic where he is exactly on that legend list.

crossy1686

career ending
I was always Dave's huge fan but even i don't dispute Erik's decision in letting Dave go. He just doesn't fit in system. Problem is in rewritting history. All of sudden, Dave was average player for us.

He deserved far better from fans.
I've never been his biggest fan, I've half wanted him gone since the failed move to Madrid and even more so the seasons after that, but he wasn't average, he was possibly the best shot stopper/reaction save keeper I've ever seen, and at one point was probably the third best keeper in the world, but at that time he was quite far behind Neuer and Oblak.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he was average his whole time here, but for at least half his time here, he was average with the occasional world class save.

It's kind of like someone like Michael Owen. He was brilliant for a brief period and the rest of the time he was okay. Scored some big goals throughout his career no matter where he went or how slow he got but he wasn't exactly world class for most of his career.

crossy1686

career ending
First of all, he was in Spain's squad.
And yes, Dave is an absolute legend of this club. By all merits. Performances, honours, longevity and his behaviour all these years.

It is another topic where he is exactly on that legend list.
I don't know man, if you're opening up the bottom end of the legend list like that then where do we stop? Wes Brown? David May? Van Persie? Sheringham? We've had great players consistently but they can't all be legends because we weren't organised enough to bin them off sooner or because they won some stuff. It's a combination of massive performances when we need them, consistency week in, week out, winning major silverware as a team etc.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know man, if you're opening up the bottom end of the legend list like that then where do we stop? Wes Brown? David May? Van Persie? Sheringham? We've had great players consistently but they can't all be legends because we weren't organised enough to bin them off sooner or because they won some stuff. It's a combination of massive performances when we need them, consistency week in, week out, winning major silverware as a team etc.
Actually, i am very demanding regarding that legend status. And i don't use that word lightly.
Imo, Dave deserves it. And i am not saying that because i "love him". For example, RVP is in my top 10 favourite United players of all time but i would never call him as our legend.
Neither i would call Brown, May or Teddy as legends.

crossy1686

career ending
Actually, i am very demanding regarding that legend status. And i don't use that word lightly.
Imo, Dave deserves it. And i am not saying that because i "love him". For example, RVP is in my top 10 favourite United players of all time but i would never call him as our legend.
Neither i would call Brown, May or Teddy as legends.
I hear you, but they won so much more than De Gea ever did and had some massive performances in massive games, CL finals some of them. De Gea never had any of that, in fact he was consistently disappointing in the big games and usually had a mistake in him. In a well functioning team he doesn't win any of the player of the year awards also.

I'd say Wes Brown is more of a legend than De Gea, even O'Shea for his nutmeg on Figo alone.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is a ManUtd legend and ManUtd history books will have him as ManUtd legend, only thing that really matters.

iHicksy

Sorry but if you think De Gea is a legend then we must have dripped the bar very low. Just staying with a club for a long period because they paid you an insane wage at 350k a week whilst trying to move to Madrid and then not improving any part of your game, but actually getting worse does not make you any kind of legend in my eyes. Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Rio, Schmikes, Edwin, Rooney, Neville, Vidic, Best etc are United legends. I wouldn't put De Gea anywhere near those guys.

Oldyella

A good player for us for several years, and another several where he varied game to game between average/poor/great. Not a legend by any stretch.

Oranges038

It was obvious a long way out that he just didn't suit the way ETH wants to play, but due to lack of options he had to persevere.

I don't think his end of season form had much to do with it, probably more likely that the situation impacted his form more than the other way around.

Kostov

People are so fickle and have short memories.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His lack of development also reflects poorly on the club. He joined us as a teenager with greats shot stopping potential but the revolving door of managers, goalkeeping coaches, no set back four ahead of him and the constant need to put out fires elsewhere meant he never really got the chance to work on his weaker aspects.

Kostov

Sorry but if you think De Gea is a legend then we must have dripped the bar very low. Just staying with a club for a long period because they paid you an insane wage at 350k a week whilst trying to move to Madrid and then not improving any part of your game, but actually getting worse does not make you any kind of legend in my eyes. Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Rio, Schmikes, Edwin, Rooney, Neville, Vidic, Best etc are United legends. I wouldn't put De Gea anywhere near those guys.
The bar has been dripped for so long, and you blubber crap about how DDG earned 350k a week when we had absolute clowns like Lingard earning 100k+ a week, players like Fred, Maguire, Martial, Sancho and similar who earn 200k a week, yeah shock horror nobody plays for free. DDG is probably the only players in the last 10 years who actually deserved the salary he got. All players decline, just like Rooney, Rio, Vidic and the others. That does not change the fact the DDG will be remembered as a club legend.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Abit concerned by that last part if the late season blunders are the only reason we let him go. He’s been making blunders for five years now and has shown for years he’s not good enough anymore. Hugely concerning if true that yeh Utd hierarchy couldn’t see that and reacted based on short form.

Eric_the_Red99

His lack of development also reflects poorly on the club. He joined us as a teenager with greats shot stopping potential but the revolving door of managers, goalkeeping coaches, no set back four ahead of him and the constant need to put out fires elsewhere meant he never really got the chance to work on his weaker aspects.
I’m not sure any amount of coaching could have stopped him being a physical coward who was terrified of being touched and crapped himself if an opposition player came within 20 yards of him. Those personality traits become fixed pretty early on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I’m not sure any amount of coaching could have stopped him being a physical coward who was terrified of being touched and crapped himself if an opposition player came within 20 yards of him. Those personality traits become fixed pretty early on.
He struggles to pass over a rushing opponent to the full back, that can be coached but when you have managers trying to win today to save their asses tomorrow, it becomes difficult to work through a thorough plan for long term improvement.

To be fair, the one time he was challenged by Van Gaal, he immediately packed his bags to Madrid.

Remember the geese

Scary that we would have persisted with him for another year if it hadn't have been for those obvious, major errors. I don't understand why though. It was always such a huge priority in my mind. All in all, one of those cases where a loss can be a win.

Idxomer

Abit concerned by that last part if the late season blunders are the only reason we let him go. He’s been making blunders for five years now and has shown for years he’s not good enough anymore. Hugely concerning if true that yeh Utd hierarchy couldn’t see that and reacted based on short form.
I don't think it's the only reason. Likely, Ten Hag wanted him to go from day 1 but had a restricted budget. The article alludes to those hindrances. He had to prioritize and considering he achieved his targets in season 1, he wasn't wrong.

Ten Hag thought he could actually change him while he has to make do. That might have been a mistake here but he had to try.

buchansleftleg

For me, he's a loyal servant, was a great player (for a period of time) but NOT a legend.

Legends to me is about striving to be the absolute best and demand that from others. It's also about recognising and adapting as your abilities and strengths diminish.

Some choose to walk away when they know their powers are waning. Others adapt to a lesser role in the squad or a bit part player.

DDG hasn't done that. He apparently asked Schwienstieger constantly if he was as good as Neuer...well he should have done the work to improve then.

His mental weakness in top games held him back and the club bought defenders like Maguire (Heading ability) to overcome his failure to deal with crossfield arial balls.

Yes for a period he was immense for club and country in most games, but still saved his mistakes for the biggest stage.

He's been an example of the club settling for "good enough" not "best" and he can't really be solely to blame for that. The people that would have demanded high standards left and he has been adrift ever since.

So long Dave, thanks for some great memories.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The bar has been dripped for so long, and you blubber crap about how DDG earned 350k a week when we had absolute clowns like Lingard earning 100k+ a week, players like Fred, Maguire, Martial, Sancho and similar who earn 200k a week, yeah shock horror nobody plays for free. DDG is probably the only players in the last 10 years who actually deserved the salary he got. All players decline, just like Rooney, Rio, Vidic and the others. That does not change the fact the DDG will be remembered as a club legend.
I am not sure if he deserved the salary he got but there's definitely a strong case for it. Anyway, can't blame him for running his contract down since it was quite clear in the last few years nobody rated him anywhere close to what we've been paying him. The point is, his "longevity" has to be considered in context of being the best paid keeper in the world.
I agree that is a factor, but big part of the problem is his timid personality. This was a risk worth taking as he was really young when joined, shame for a few reasons he never developed into an all around goalkeeper to add to his tremendous shot stopping ability.

For me, he's a loyal servant, was a great player (for a period of time) but NOT a legend.

Legends to me is about striving to be the absolute best and demand that from others. It's also about recognising and adapting as your abilities and strengths diminish.

Some choose to walk away when they know their powers are waning. Others adapt to a lesser role in the squad or a bit part player.

DDG hasn't done that. He apparently asked Schwienstieger constantly if he was as good as Neuer...well he should have done the work to improve then.

His mental weakness in top games held him back and the club bought defenders like Maguire (Heading ability) to overcome his failure to deal with crossfield arial balls.

Yes for a period he was immense for club and country in most games, but still saved his mistakes for the biggest stage.

He's been an example of the club settling for "good enough" not "best" and he can't really be solely to blame for that. The people that would have demanded high standards left and he has been adrift ever since.

So long Dave, thanks for some great memories.
Spot on.
I don't think that was the case, I think ETH (as much as DDG didn't fit his game) thought we can somehow survive another season with De Gea as we have very good defensive line now PLUS other priority signings to make. He also had quite a lot of supporters amongst United fans, just check DDG performances thread to see how much they were willing to accept. His mistakes in latter stages of the season made it easy to make a tough decision to let him go but I am sure this was always preferred option by ETH.

Last edited:

Kag

This is disingenuous. He worked with Frans Hoek for goodness sake.

De Gea’s limitations were simply just that: his limitations. The idea that the club are the reason for them is simply crackers.

Kag

Crafton’s assessment is a fair one. His time here ended less than ideal circumstances, but it’s also fair to say that De Gea has been afforded a lot of goodwill over the years.

We’ll all remember him fondly in years to come. Already this is the case with Rooney, who was also shepherded out the door long after he was done in.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Cantona has the same number of appearances for France as de Gea has for Spain (46). Best has 37 for Northern Ireland. So it’s a bizarre metric for ‘legendary status’.

pascell

Goals prevented is subjective though, what metric are they using to base it on, shots which would typically hit the back of the net and it was a wonder save?

If so, shouldn't those saves become expectant with de Gea as he was a phenomenal shot stopper which then skews the metric somewhat?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Cantona has the same number of appearances for France as de Gea has for Spain (46). Best has 37 for Northern Ireland. So it’s a bizarre metric for ‘legendary status’.
Gerrard played 114 times for England while Scholes only played 60 odd games. Of course this is a nonsense metric

OleTheGreat

Regardless of all the wrong doings in the past few season, he's been our world class players for more than a decade and we definitely haven't celebrated his consistent, honest and faithful worh ethics towards Man Utd. The man is a legend and certainly hasn't left feeling that way and that's all because of these awful owners. I hope he has a great challenge to look forward to and i really wish he wins a few trophies that he truly deserves. You will always be a Legend in our hearts De Gea except for when you wanted to leave for Madrid (haha). All the very best for your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.