David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediSith

Would be nice if David's move to Madrid happens, even 8 years late. Only turning 33 in November which isn't old for a GK (not young either but could potentially have another 5 years or so in him.
VDS was 34 when joined us. Won league titles and the CL. Don’t rule out the possibility that if De Gea stays there a few seasons he can end up winning more at RM than he did at United. I think it’s very possible he stays as their number 1 beyond this season.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He’s a mental midget who would crumble under the pressure of playing for fans who would demand success, who don’t just “back their man”, top reds, or should I say top whites. I don’t know why our fans think we owe this fraud anything. He tried to leave before, he’s never improved his game, he’s a glorified shot stopper. I can’t wait to see him implode at real, even in a farmers league like La Liga, I trust this man to crumble.

Oh and his abysmal mistakes cost us the 2012 title. feck off Dave.
:lol:

AndySmith1990

VDS was 34 when joined us. Won league titles and the CL. Don’t rule out the possibility that if De Gea stays there a few seasons he can end up winning more at RM than he did at United. I think it’s very possible he stays as their number 1 beyond this season.
Sure. United release him because he's deemed not good enough, but Real Madrid, the most successful club in history, will make him their #1 for years to come

Mr Smith

Can't believe he might end up at Madrid after all this :lol: will be thrilled for him if it happens.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s a mental midget who would crumble under the pressure of playing for fans who would demand success, who don’t just “back their man”, top reds, or should I say top whites. I don’t know why our fans think we owe this fraud anything. He tried to leave before, he’s never improved his game, he’s a glorified shot stopper. I can’t wait to see him implode at real, even in a farmers league like La Liga, I trust this man to crumble.

Very odd behaviour.

JB7

Why? Is Courtois's injury life threatening?

Levi1

Never realized Roy Keane frequents the forum

JediSith

Sure. United release him because he's deemed not good enough, but Real Madrid, the most successful club in history, will make him their #1 for years to come
Think he was released because of style of play and tactical reasons.

I don’t think RM are signing him with the plan of him becoming their permanent number 1. But if he has a good season and shows the form that he was showing for us a few years ago then it’s not as far fetched as you seen to think.

JagUTD

This post should be on a watchlist.

Crumbling under pressure isn't something you would attribute to De Gea. He came to United and was slated relentlessly at first by all comers only to rise above and become one of the very best. Then whenever he had a spell of poor form and his confidence looked shit, he would once again come back and prove people wrong.

Even in games where he could have done better, it wouldn't be long before we as fans were thankful as he made a save he had no right to.

So no, pressure is one thing you can't use against him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Crumbling under pressure isn't something you would attribute to De Gea. He came to United and was slated relentlessly at first by all comers only to rise above and become one of the very best. Then whenever he had a spell of poor form and his confidence looked shit, he would once again come back and prove people wrong.

Even in games where he could have done better, it wouldn't be long before we as fans were thankful as he made a save he had no right to.

You can use pressure agaibst post-2018. He's made massive cock ups in key games for us. The europa league final, the fa cup final, and that run of games last season in the league where he nearly cost us 4th.

JagUTD

Although the circumstances are unexpected, it would be nice to see De Gea end up at Madrid after so many claimed he would never get a move to a big club.

JagUTD

You can use pressure agaibst post-2018. He's made massive cock ups in key games for us. The europa league final, the fa cup final, and that run of games last season in the league where he nearly cost us 4th.
Even in that period, you still had him redeeming himself quite often in the same game which is a sign of someone who didn't crumble.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Even in that period, you still had him redeeming himself quite often in the same game which is a sign of someone who didn't crumble.
Not really. He made saves you expected him to make, but more often than not he didn't.

JB7

An ACL tear is definitely career-threatening in the sense that players seldom return to the same level post-recovery.
"Seldom" is a bit of a stretch. It's not a common injury but off the top of my head you've got big names like RVN, Roy Keane, Xavi, Shearer, Van Dijk, Sane, Totti, Robert Pires who did their ACL and recovered fine, and the majority of those were a long time ago before multiple advancements in treatment. Livramento would appear to have recovered fine given Newcastle have paid £40m for him on the back of his ACL injury. Heck Zlatan did his ACL aged 416 and still came back to score almost 100 goals before retiring.

And to be fair, he doesn't need to return to anywhere the same level to still be a considerably better goalkeeper than most.

RedOrange

Just for info:

What conclusion can we draw from this? La Liga does have more open-play crosses per 90 but it's about .6 per match and the accuracy of them is not significantly different to Serie A and Ligue 1. Is that extra .6 crosses per match enough to bump up the % of chances created from open-play crosses by so much? Couldn't it just mean teams in La Liga are way better at preventing chances from open play that aren't crosses (or bad at creating chances from open play that aren't from crosses).

James_42

Embarrassing

JagUTD

To be fair, even Ancelotti has little say in who comes and goes at Madrid. Could be problematic though if he was forced upon him as we have seen before with players forced upon managers.

SAFMUTD

To be fair, even Ancelotti has little say in who comes and goes at Madrid. Could be problematic though if he was forced upon him as we have seen before with players forced upon managers.
Ancelotti may not have the last word about Madrid transfers but saying he has little to say is pushing it way too far.

If Ancelotti doesn't want De Gea then Madrid's not getting him. If we were talking about Mbappe or Kane it would be different of course.

Djemba-Djemba

I said it before but I think he'd struggle badly at Madrid.

I really don't think he'd cope well under the pressure, even when he was being incredible every week for us he'd go and play for Spain and look poor. I think the nerves would get to him.

I'm not surprised Ancelotti has said no. Obviously it would have been great for him to go to Real Madrid but i think realistically there are other clubs better suited for him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Really? Since 2018 he utterly shit the bed for Spain at the World Cup and has consistently made mistakes and cost us in big games, playing a huge part in knocking us out of numerous cup competitions.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Why? Is Courtois's injury life threatening?
It is a bad injury to be fair. It also depends how De Gea plays. For example, at United he was miles better than Courtuis was at Chelsea. So if De Gea got back to his previous best (a big if) and Courtuis injury affects him, it can happen.

Most likely, De Gea won’t go back to his best though. He was dependent on reflexes and his reflexes have slowed down.

JB7

It is a bad injury to be fair. It also depends how De Gea plays. For example, at United he was miles better than Courtuis was at Chelsea. So if De Gea got back to his previous best (a big if) and Courtuis injury affects him, it can happen.

Most likely, De Gea won’t go back to his best though. He was dependent on reflexes and his reflexes have slowed down.
A hell of a lot has changed in 5 years to be fair. There's a reason nobody wants to sign Dave even as a free agent and Courtois is still regarded as one of the best around.

Longshanks

Yeah Carlo isn't stupid. De Geas days at a top club in Europe are done. He simply dosent have the tools to play at a top European club anymore. Top level goalkeeping as moved way beyond him, and he stood still and let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.