David Moyes: That was a good performance from us...

CapeTownRed

The most worrying part of the afternoon. Playing poorly at Anfield can happen, but for our manager to class that as a good performance and point out that we had all of 3 chances in the 2nd half has me worried he might be setting the bar a bit low...

Moriarty

The most worrying part of the afternoon. Playing poorly at Anfield can happen, but for our manager to class that as a good performance and point out that we had all of 3 chances in the 2nd half has me worried he might be setting the bar a bit low...
He's talking as if he's still managing Everton.

Bojan11

Lets be honest. Fergie would say the same.

I just think he didnt need to say the best performance of the season bit.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
What do you want him to do? Criticise the players and say we were terrible? No a Manchester United protects his players at all times.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
what he tells us and what he tells the team isn't always the same thing. I think we should be focused on improving the team. That's either trusting the kids or stop fecking about in the transfer market. If Moyes had of come out, slatting the performance, it'd put even more pressure on himself and the players. So let's just accept it and move on. A signing would be a boost for everyone and we can move on. We all knew it was a tough start to the season. We just have to stick together.

Mister Ed

Put a sock in it Dave !

This is Manchester United not Everton, you are supposed to be winning the league, not qualify for Europa league ! This Liverpool was a weak opponent, vulnerable and you and your team managed to do shit against them. You got behind 1-0 after only 4 minutes and you showed nothing in the remainder of the game to warrant a goal for your own. Well played ? If this is well played, than we are truely lost !

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
SAF used to say that kind of thing too, it's not important. I'm sure he knows it was a poor performance and will try to get it sorted, he doesn't have to tell that to the press though. A non issue.

Mersault

He really said that? He should have rather blanked a press interview. That first half was beyond poor. I thought Jose coming out after the super cup and saying the best team lost was taking the piss but this takes it to another level

Abbsta

I'm sure he knows it wasn't but he's keeping it in the dressing room.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No problems with what he's said publicly as long as he rips the team apart privately for that dismal performance.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm sure he was simply trying to avoid saying anything too negative about the team that would inevitably be construed the wrong way, but the comments are still poor nevertheless when we consider that it was not a good performance by any means.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
I hope that his comments are for the media and that he isn't really happy with that performance. Moyes needs to set his standards a lot higher than what he's been used to.

Bojan11

The problem is that he isn't Fergie. Poorly imitating him in press conferences doesn't do anything good IMO.

Not just Fergie though. Lots of managers say the same.

Do you want him to be like Di Canio? He's still learning and the first thing he doesn't want to do is criticise the team in public.

Mersault

I didn't see the reaction but how does saying the opposite of what happened help the team and deflect negative attention? It attracts more of it

gza the genius

The bit about being happy not adding anyone to the squad scares me. You get the impression he's saying it to prepare us for that, which isn't good at all.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's one thing not to criticise in the open, it's another thing saying it was our best performance when it wasn't. I get the feeling that moyes is overwhelmed by the step up in level.

Revan

Assumptionman

Do you want him to be like Di Canio? He's still learning and the first thing he doesn't want to do is criticise the team in public.
I think that there is the middle between praising and criticizing them. This wasn't a good performance, neither it was against Chelsea.

It isn't that important anyway what he says. It will be more interesting to see what he'll do in the next game.

DevilRed

To be fair we did have a lot of the possession and fashioned a few half chances here and there. Its early days and although the result was shit, the performance wasn't. We have played a lot worse at anfield and come away with the 3 points in the past.

What worries me the most though is the lack of goals. We really need to be more attack minded and start supplying the ball to our strikers. This really comes down to our midfield/wingers being very average so far.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
We got 4 points from the corresponding fixtures last season, and that having played against a 10-men Liverpool and enjoying a dodgy penaly decision.

Ole'sbodyguard

Exactly. If Moyes berated the team publicly he would look out of his depth and as well as adding pressure to the team, he would be at risk of losing the faith of one or two players. It's like most jobs. The best employees are those who are rational, calm and composed.

Liam147

On Probation
:lol::lol::lol:

"Stand by our new manager."

Three games later...

"Moyes is a fecking idiot!"

How many times did Fergie say we played well when we'd been absolutely shite? It's simple diversionary tactics "Van Persie could've died!" Was it against City at home last season when he said we'd played well? Or West Ham away? In any case we were shite for both games. It's truly baffling that you're all still falling for it. You expect it from the neutrals, but you've been listening to Fergie talk absolute bollocks to the media for years, and now that Moyes does it it's worrying?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think he's talking from the perspective of a manager who just got his feet under the table and is still assessing the squad as well as imposing his own ideas on it.

This is not to mention the size of the job and the run of games he was given to start with. Part of being a good manager is knowing when and how to bollock your players and when you might need to take a pragmatic approach with them due to the games ahead and the squad problems (no creative CM etc).

I can guarantee that if this game was played in January and the outcome and performance was the same he would be a lot less complimentary.

Give the man some time people.

Nickosaur

I get the feeling that moyes is overwhelmed by the step up in level.
Knees be jerking.

He knows full well that performance wasn't good enough, and will be letting the players know.

Mersault

We got 4 points from the corresponding fixtures last season, and that having played against a 10-men Liverpool and enjoying a dodgy penaly decision.

As in when we played Chelsea at home having already won the league? I can't help feeling that Liverpool today were nothing special and that we clearly were not prepared for a pressing game from the start and the team selection let us down.

I think both our other league games were played at a couple of levels above that performance

jim

In most joy
Moyes needs to set his standards a lot higher than what he's been used to.

Agreed. Do you think that perhaps he's unaware that he's now managing a different team, and just thinks Everton are playing in a different colour?

If only he knew that his team were supposed to try to win the league. We're fecked.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Put a sock in it Dave !

This is Manchester United not Everton, you are supposed to be winning the league, not qualify for Europa league ! This Liverpool was a weak opponent, vulnerable and you and your team managed to do shit against them. You got behind 1-0 after only 4 minutes and you showed nothing in the remainder of the game to warrant a goal for your own. Well played ? If this is well played, than we are truely lost !

I do try to refrain from saying this to posters, but whoever promoted you needs to have a word with themselves.

iguanamanc

Liverpool - United matches are nearly always tight. Disappointing result, but won't be losing too much sleep over it at this stage in the season.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
As in when we played Chelsea at home having already won the league? I can't help feeling that Liverpool today were nothing special and that we clearly were not prepared for a pressing game from the start and the team selection let us down.

I think both our other league games were played at a couple of levels above that performance

Liverpool were pretty poor, but we were nothing special last season against 10 men and won. These things happen. A slow start was always on the cards given the fixtures so no need for panic or pointing fingers at the manger just yet.

Fergie was a magician for winning us the league without a proper midfield. The rest of football managers can't do that, and it's not their fault. It's against the nature of the sport.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Ferguson would have said exactly the same.. perhaps moaned about the ref being card happy and stopping the game so often.
Not much here.

GloryHunter07

Put a sock in it Dave !

Thats two posts ive seen from you in 24hrs showing that you are a complete drama queen. Get a grip