David Moyes: That was a good performance from us...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Let us compare and contrast with the other new managers.

City have already lost to Cardiff and aren't playing particularly well yet. Mourinho took Chelsea to Old Trafford with no strikers, and a 25% possession over 120 minutes against Bayern. In other words, not exactly blemish free starts to the season from any club so far.

The point is, it takes time to make changes at any club. We all knew that Ferguson's replacement was coming into an extremely difficult situation.

If most fans are honest, the frustration at this point is over the lack of signings - which is just silly. Moyes has done some good work within the club this summer. Rooney is still here. Nani is still here. Both could easily have left and would have been difficult to replace. Regardless of what happens today, I suspect there are politics within the club at the moment that are making it difficult for us to land players.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
While I don't think we've played at all so far this season its still early days. I fancied us for a draw yesterday and I think overall we could have had one. Apart from the first half hour I thought we were decent without being dangerous. I'm giving Moyes the benefit of doubt in that he's probably learning the ropes and in doing so siding with caution for now.

If he doesn't sign anyone today though he's going to be under so much pressure thats for certain.

Nathan

I cant see any positives to be frank. Anytime we lose to Liverpool it makes me sick. We lacked the hunger to get to the ball first, our control was poor and our overall decision making seemed off.

Not a great result, we are way better than liverpool!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He stood by his players that didn't showed their full potential yet.

He also believes in what he already have and I like him more and more for that.

Red_Aaron

thing is, surely every united fan knows you cant really draw any conclusions from pool-utd games at anfield (and the scousers would do well to heed that warning too btw) we rarely play well there regardless of our (or their) form. We we're worse there last year and yet came away with 3 points. on balance yesterday we deserved a draw but no more than that

its natural for us to be looking for signs as to how were coping with life post SAF but yesterday is always a fixture i write off in the grand scheme. i balance it out by knowing they rarely put up a fight at OT nowadays

it wasn't a terrible performance yesterday but the game as a whole was much of a muchness. they were good 1st half, created 1 half chance and took it - we were good 2nd half, created 1 half chance and missed. it was all a bit meh otherwise.

i'm much more interested in seeing how we play in the CL, just annoying we've a 2 week break now

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"We can take nothing positive from this. We didn't have one performer on the pitch apart from possibly Rio Ferdinand. It was disappointing." - Fergie, 2008, after a 2-1 defeat at Anfield.

"Liverpool created the better chances and I have no complaints. We were not good enough but we will always react to defeat - that is the most important thing about this club." - Fergie, 2009, after a 2-0 defeat at Anfield.
What did he say after his first loss?

It wasn't the best display, but it was no where near as bad as some are suggesting.

Why anyone expects a manager who is only in the door to come out and publicly slate the team or their performance is beyond me, that would be the sign of a really shitty manager.

Far out concept, everyone try and use your imagination on this one, but is there the remotest of possibilities that, maybe, perhaps, Moyes might say one thing to the press and public but say something else to the team? I don't know, its a crazy theory, he's probably whistling while strolling round Carrington, on his own, having given the team the day off following such a good display.

Dominos

"We can take nothing positive from this. We didn't have one performer on the pitch apart from possibly Rio Ferdinand. It was disappointing." - Fergie, 2008, after a 2-1 defeat at Anfield.

"Liverpool created the better chances and I have no complaints. We were not good enough but we will always react to defeat - that is the most important thing about this club." - Fergie, 2009, after a 2-0 defeat at Anfield.
"To lose is a real sickening blow. We dominated the game. We did very well in that respect. But to lose the game is hard to believe.
Our possession was good. Our movement off the ball was good. I thought we were in the driving seat." - Fergie, 2012, after a 2-1 defeat at Anfield.

Not that I'm justifying Moyes' comments. Seems when we aim for a Fergie clone we're going to get the negatives as well which includes a very low standard for what's considered a good performance.

Siorac

"To lose is a real sickening blow. We dominated the game. We did very well in that respect. But to lose the game is hard to believe.
Our possession was good. Our movement off the ball was good. I thought we were in the driving seat." - Fergie, 2012, after a 2-1 defeat at Anfield.

Not that I'm justifying Moyes' comments. Seems when we aim for a Fergie clone we're going to get the negatives as well which includes a very low standard for what's considered a good performance.
To be fair, that was after the FA Cup game at Anfield which actually wasn't a bad performance. Much better than anything we put in at Anfield in the last few years.

Mersault

at the risk of repeating what has been said often before - I dont think people are generally irked (not most anyway) by Moyes not berating the team after the Anfield performance, of course not. But to speak in such grandiose terms about the performance and label it our best performance of the season etc. that's what bothered some (including myself)
could've just said, we are not at full tilt yet, promising in terms of defense and possession but we'll get sharper in attack, mind, liverpool looked nothing special and were maybe fortunate to get a point
something like that
now let's sign Herrera

CapeTownRed

at the risk of repeating what has been said often before - I dont think people are generally irked (not most anyway) by Moyes not berating the team after the Anfield performance, of course not. But to speak in such grandiose terms about the performance and label it our best performance of the season etc. that's what bothered some (including myself)
could've just said, we are not at full tilt yet, promising in terms of defense and possession but we'll get sharper in attack, mind, liverpool looked nothing special and were maybe fortunate to get a point
something like that
now let's sign Herrera

This. Pretty much exactly what I was trying to point out when starting this thread. It's being derailed by evaluations of our overall play etc. whislt I just meant to point out that he could've layered the bullshit on a little thinner. "We were decent/good but lacked penetration" would've sufficed.