David Ornstein: Man Utd want to keep Marcus Rashford | Consideration of sale if Rashford wants to take on a new challenge or a substantial bid arrives

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Looks like he'll be staying.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Same story as Ducker with a different spin, then.

SER19

Such an enormous mistake. Garnacho is better on the left, and even if garnacho is on the right, having this guy in such a key role is a huge handicap to the team. Most notably the striker and the full back will suffer, but the spot itself basically becomes half a player for much of the season. We should be actively trying to sell him.

Yakuza_devils

Hope this is in line with what Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and hopefully the new manager intend? They must have a plan how to use Rashford. We have been guilty of keeping non performing players way too long.

FerociousCorgis

i mean if they came out and said we are selling him then it just straight torpedoes any value he has. Will remain to be seen but if there isnt a massive exodus this summer then it is just business as usual with the new "owners"

Mike Smalling

If true, I wonder how we plan to help him back to form. What hasn’t been done this year, that we could do in the future?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hope this is in line with what Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and hopefully the new manager intend? They must have a plan how to use Rashford. We have been guilty of keeping non performing players way too long.
Yeah they plan on him being used in another team.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Even if they want to sell him, this is the correct messaging to give out to the public. Saying we want to get rid only destroys his value and our bargaining position.

saivet

I think all this comes down to is how badly PSG want him and how much Rashford fancies the move to France.

El Jefe

In two years time it will be the same tweet just updated with 28yo.

He’s been woeful in 2 of the last 3 seasons and gave us 2.5 months of a purple patch last season when contract time was approaching.

Smart clubs get rid of players at the right time and this is 100% the right time.

gajender

If true, I wonder how we plan to help him back to form. What hasn’t been done this year, that we could do in the future?
Nah that's just lip service we absolutely want to sell him that seem to be the priority but don't want to do it on cheap .

MDFC Manager

I'm interpreting that completely different than you, but I think you're seeing it how they want it to be seen. Ie he's for sale but we're not letting him go for cheap.
Same here. I think there's a great chance he's off.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Give Benni McCarthy the raise he asked for circa April 2024 that caused him to go on strike.

IRN-BRUno

Basically, he's available for the right price. He's under contract and we can't force him to leave so it's his choice. And if he does want to go then looking as though we're reluctant to sell is obviously a negotiation tactic.

Rojofiam

Has never been a problem when the team was collectively doing even half-decent. Somehow he's always made out to be the biggest problem when we're having a nightmare season like 21/22 and the current 23/24 campaign.

He could even surpass his best seasons if he played in a top team that can realistically compete for the two biggest trophies.

Bright_Eyes

So basically we will sell him if a good offer comes in.
Yup. This seems like basically a way of telling clubs to come make offers, without reducing his price and unsettling him by directly saying we want to sell him. If we actually fully wanted him to stay it wouldn't be leaked to the press that we're open to offers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm interpreting that completely different than you, but I think you're seeing it how they want it to be seen. Ie he's for sale but we're not letting him go for cheap.
Yeah, the subtext seems to indicate that they officiously welcome offers. Otherwise why would you even feed the press with this?

DownRiver

This is leaked for a reason, and it is all good signs from the new ownership. They want to hold all the cards when selling him, it is all part of the game. This is the same with Greenwood, it’s is about positioning to not be desperate to sell to get more money.

If they leaked that he will be sold or actively wanting to sell him, then their bargaining power will be greatly diminished and if no one buys him, then there will always be deep resentment from Rash next season.

diarm

There has clearly been a briefing today, and the only players that have been identified as untouchable are Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. The words used to brief about Rashford are exactly the words they should be using to ensure we have any chance of getting a decent price for him.

CM

I think this is the right way to play it. Keep your options open and see how this summer goes before committing to a decision. There are too many variables right now.

Chairman Steve

I see this more as a potential selling tactic. Makes it look like the new regime actually rate him but are happy to entertain offers. Us saying we’re looking to sell will enable lowball offers.

DavelinaJolie

It's a first isn't it? The first time the club has openly suggested they would be open to the idea selling him, which feels like a big step. Also puts the ball in Rashford's court a bit, to make a decision on what he wants to do going forward.

Despite his form this year I still hold out some hope he'll turn it around but I'm slowly coming round to the idea that maybe he needs a change and maybe the club does too, as the whole situation feels it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If I was wanting to encourage big offers for a prize asset, this is probably the message I'd want to put out.

saik

That just screams like protecting value to me. If they outright say that he's for sale, we'll get shit offers like 30-40m. He could and should fetch us 80m easily and that will help ease a lot of our FFP problems as he's an academy product.

Tiber

Sell sell sell!

Not due a good couple of months for atleast another year or two

mu4c_20le

This is the worst time to sell him, at least wait for the new manager bounce.

hobbers

Literally an article designed to put him in the shop window, whether or not Ornstein has the basic intelligence to know it.