David Raya

AdNani

Can't find a thread for Him, feel like he's the perfect replacement for De Gea and fits what Ten Hag wants from a keeper.

Legendary

Personally I'd prefer Robert Sanchez from Brighton. I believe they are very similar skill wise, but Sanchez just has a much larger size advantage, being 1.97m (6ft6) vs 1.83m (6ft) for Raya.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good keeper, sweeps well, is excellent on the ball and has already been living in England for a while. Is ahead of De Gea in the national team for good reason. And his contract situation means he might be available at a relatively reasonable price.

However, he is relatively small for a goalkeeper at 6ft tall. And in general I find it difficult to say he's better overall than someone like Brighton's Sanchez for example, who is also ahead of De Gea for Spain and is slightly younger, let alone other potential options across Europe.

The contract situation might increase how attractive he is but really replacing a goalkeeper who will have been at the club for 12 years is a big enough issue that we should be targeting the best player available, even if their contract situation is less favourable and we have to pay more.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Absolutely hated me for escalating the situation surrounding the talks for an improved contract in FM20. He ended up forcing a move to Arsenal. We eventually buried the hatchet when I handed him his first cap as the Spain manager, at the ripe age of 32.

Would still, definitely love him here.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Put in a cheeky bid in January and see what happens :devil:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Good keeper, sweeps well, is excellent on the ball and has already been living in England for a while. Is ahead of De Gea in the national team for good reason. And his contract situation means he might be available at a relatively reasonable price.

However, he is relatively small for a goalkeeper at 6ft tall. And in general I find it difficult to say he's better overall than someone like Brighton's Sanchez for example, who is also ahead of De Gea for Spain and is slightly younger, let alone other potential options across Europe.

The contract situation might increase how attractive he is but really replacing a goalkeeper who will have been at the club for 12 years is a big enough issue that we should be targeting the best player available, even if their contract situation is less favourable and we have to pay more.
I agree with all. Initially I prefered Sanchez due to his size, but been more impressed with Raya. Admittedly, I have not seen enough of them to be really confident about who is the best goalkeeper out of the two of them.

His distribution and aerial dominance is top class. What a pre assist to set up Toney’s goal today. We need to be in for him before Spurs.

IrishRedDevil

His head has gone.

Bizarre (needless?) signing, and with the also average Ramsdale staring at him from the bench, it gives Sky every excuse to side with the benched English player.

fallengt

His head has gone.

Bizarre (needless?) signing, and with the also average Ramsdale staring at him from the bench, it gives Sky every excuse to side with the benched English player.
Ramsdale is fecking average.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will he even make it out for the second half?

Arteta probably regretting his comments as most obvious example of when to sub a keeper given he's spreading panic through to the crowd.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I’d rather my goalie make mistakes while being brave in distribution than drop clangers.
Brave? :lol: He’s looking anything but! He can kick a decent ball long but he’s not composed on the ball nor a good short passer. He looks nervous having to play short so often, and he’s making others nervous too. He’s making it hard for the others to play brave football because he’s untrustworthy.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
He hasn't shown anything special since he came here. He's looks overawed by the occasion in this match.

Ramsdale's distribution is miles ahead.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He hasn't shown anything special since he came here. He's looks overawed by the occasion in this match.

At least he provided competition to Ramsdale and it will force him to up his game to win his place back.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It's obviously not.

Think he had a poor game today and City targeted him well to make it worse. I also think it's not entirely down to him. Part of his role is to draw the extra man to open up the space to build an overload but it didn't work 5/10 times today. He's not getting dropped anytime soon though.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It's obviously not.

Think he had a poor game today and City targeted him well to make it worse. I also think it's not entirely down to him. Part of his role is to draw the extra man to open up the space to build an overload but it didn't work 5/10 times today. He's not getting dropped anytime soon though.
Agree, this is clearly how Arteta wants us to play and is inherently risky - Raya is almost a CB at times and wants to draw the press to him to open up space elsewhere. It's just that City's press is the best really and that's why it didn't work that well today.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Really not justifying why he should be number 1

Nash27

This guy has been making mistakes every game yet not much attention to this because he plays for arsenal and not united. Also, arsenal has been winning their games so that helps too i guess.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
This guy has been making mistakes every game yet not much attention to this because he plays for arsenal and not united.
I don't know about that, I've watched the last two Arsenal games on sky sports and Gary Neville is basically calling him crap and dodgy every 20 seconds.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yeh overall he's not quite showed what Arteta sees in him. There doesn't seem to be a big gap between him and Ramsdale overall. It's not a bad headache to have though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ramsdale should still be starting.

Ramsdale should at least be getting the CL games to keep his concertation levels up, not sure why he didn't play v Lens.

Raya is just very edgy currently and that's unnecessary for them when you think after experimenting for a month they've now got the defence out that was so good for most of last season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Third game in a row he’s been a nervous mess. Don’t know though. Do you think stick with him, allow him to play through his struggles or do you drop him before his mistakes end up costing too many games.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Third game in a row he’s been a nervous mess. Don’t know though. Do you think stick with him, allow him to play through his struggles or do you drop him before his mistakes end up costing too many games.
You don't do that if you want to win the league. There's little room for error against City. He's been getting away with a number of mistakes against Tottenham, Lens, City and Chelsea. The other games played, he's had little to do, so there

His supposed best quality (long range distribution) hasn't been there either.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You don't do that if you want to win the league. There's little room for error against City. He's been getting away with a number of mistakes against Tottenham, Lens, City and Chelsea. The other games played, he's had little to do, so there

His supposed best quality (long range distribution) hasn't been there either.
We are not winning the PL

RuudTom83

I feel like it's mainly G.Nev pushing the narrative that Raya is on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

When if we are honest most keepers nowadays have a feck-up in them most games.

But I would love to see Raya drop a calamity just so that Arteta can get some criticism.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Can discount some nervousness in the early days but the extra seconds he takes on the ball before releasing/clearing give me a heart attack.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bizarre deal really as he's not an elite keeper. Both he and Ramsdale are solid PL keepers.