David Raya

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
It's a very odd signing as the two styles are very different, and hence you'd assume they'd play slightly different playing out from the back when Raya is in goal vs when Ramsdale is playing.
They will be much better playing out the back with Raya rather than with Ramsdale imo

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's a very odd signing as the two styles are very different, and hence you'd assume they'd play slightly different playing out from the back when Raya is in goal vs when Ramsdale is playing.
Are the 2 styles very different? I'd say Ramsdale and Raya are more similar than Ramsdale and Turner were?

Weird way to spend £30m.

Saka backup would have been better.

Or an experienced striker.
We've sold Turner though, so would have needed a new goalkeeper anyway, and we wanted a goalkeeper that allows us to play from the back. It was evident that Turner was a downgrade at that compared to Ramsdale.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Need a RW backup to Saka now. Maybe if get some decent money for once in regards to our outgoings we might cough up one last surprise.

otherwise I think that’s it

OverratedOpinion

We've sold Turner though, so would have needed a new goalkeeper anyway, and we wanted a goalkeeper that allows us to play from the back. It was evident that Turner was a downgrade at that compared to Ramsdale.
Is it not just strange because Turner played like 5 times last season?

I agree with your above point about Ramsdale and Raya being fairly similar and I think they are at a very similar level. Makes it just feel like such a random signing.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Makes no sense to me but I think I rate Ramsdale higher than most on here.
Ramsdale, has had some very odd moments last season but he did keep Arsenal in some extremely fire games last season. Notably against Spur (second half), at Anfield. Also against City he did keep the result respectable.

In my eyes, when Arsenal last season were pushed to the extreme wall only him and Ben White really held their head high. Everyone else were already beaten as the going got tough, especially Saka and Partey + Odegaard to some extent.

Hopefully, this signing confuses them more. Benching Ramsdale will be like letting Xhaka leave.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Is it not just strange because Turner played like 5 times last season?

I agree with your above point about Ramsdale and Raya being fairly similar and I think they are at a very similar level. Makes it just feel like such a random signing.
He played in Cup games. We went out of every cup early, partly because the players rotated in weren't good enough. So bettering the squad, to help compete over the league and cups better can't be a bad thing surely?

It might be unsustainable to keep both keepers happy over a number of years, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s all very strange to me tbh. They signed Ramsdale because they wanted someone good with his feet. Ramsdale wasn’t great last season but seems weird to get off him so fast. I disagree with the competition part because that’s true probably for outfield players but don’t see how it helps 25+ year old goalkeepers.

OverratedOpinion

He played in Cup games. We went out of every cup early, partly because the players rotated in weren't good enough. So bettering the squad, to help compete over the league and cups better can't be a bad thing surely?

It might be unsustainable to keep both keepers happy over a number of years, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
There are plenty of good backup keepers who won't demand first place. Nearly every other club does this. Also see no reason Ramsdale can't play a good percentage of cup games.

Just feels like a signing for the sake of it. He's a good keeper just totally unneeded.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
There are plenty of good backup keepers who won't demand first place. Nearly every other club does this. Also see no reason Ramsdale can't play a good percentage of cup games.

Just feels like a signing for the sake of it. He's a good keeper just totally unneeded.
It seems we've had a bit of a 'thing' for him for years, or more specifically, our goalkeeping coach.

“It stems principally from Inaki Cana, the Arsenal goalkeeping coach.

“David Raya is kind of his protégé and Cana his mentor. Cana was heavily involved in the deal that took Raya from Blackburn to Brentford.

“They’ve worked together of course at Brentford and they’ve maintained a positive relationship since then.

“And pretty much every time Arsenal have been in the market for a goalkeeper or looking at the goalkeeper position, David Raya has been on the list.

“Arsenal have tried to sign him several times previously from Brentford, all to no avail.”

OverratedOpinion

It seems we've had a bit of a 'thing' for him for years, or more specifically, our goalkeeping coach.

“It stems principally from Inaki Cana, the Arsenal goalkeeping coach.

“David Raya is kind of his protégé and Cana his mentor. Cana was heavily involved in the deal that took Raya from Blackburn to Brentford.

“They’ve worked together of course at Brentford and they’ve maintained a positive relationship since then.

“And pretty much every time Arsenal have been in the market for a goalkeeper or looking at the goalkeeper position, David Raya has been on the list.

“Arsenal have tried to sign him several times previously from Brentford, all to no avail.”
Yeah so in practical terms I read that as your goalkeeping coach thinking he is a significant enough upgrade on Ramsdale.

I don't buy the competition angle and I certainly don't buy the cover angle. I can only imagine he is coming in to replace Ramsdale as your starting keeper.

I think this is what's at the centre of me not understanding it as I personally rate Ramsdale quite highly and don't see Raya as an upgrade. Obviously the guy you quoted is a professional goalkeeping coach at a huge club and I'm just a fan but that's why it's odd to me personally.

RuudTom83

Lego Pep needs to manage them both now, gonna be interesting to see how that plays out.

Looks like a headache not to far down the road.

We need an rvn

They will be much better playing out the back with Raya rather than with Ramsdale imo
I honestly didn’t know the ramsdale was that bad of a keeper, or bad enough to be replaced quite so ruthlessly after coming second last season, and that was more down to strength in squad depth in outfield / bottling it rather than high profile keeper mistakes

Abraxas

Why would you buy Ramsdale who is obviously fairly young for a keeper and was plying his trade for a poor side which is different to keeping for a top club, and then completely bottle it after this short a time? What were they expecting, a complete package? Obviously he would need some investment.

I think it's pretty much an admittance they haven't been altogether impressed by what they've seen of Ramsdale and his potential and they may be ready to jettison him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is a significant upgrade imo

30m not as much as i'd hoped but better than 20/25m :(
Let’s see.

It’s a different sort of pressure that one has to prove they can rise to. And while the stats people have posted seem to suggest Ramsdale didn’t do that well last season, he was part of a team that came 2nd and played out from the back very effectively - albeit he messed up at the end as did all their big names.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why would you buy Ramsdale who is obviously fairly young for a keeper and was plying his trade for a poor side which is different to keeping for a top club, and then completely bottle it after this short a time? What were they expecting, a complete package? Obviously he would need some investment.

I think it's pretty much an admittance they haven't been altogether impressed by what they've seen of Ramsdale and his potential and they may be ready to jettison him.
Didn’t they spend big money on Ramsdale as well? Their board have become one of the more carefree spending ones around all of a sudden. Not many would sanction a 2nd non cheap player for the same position two seasons running so fair play there.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Maybe Turner told them he'd like a chance at more gametime if there is an opportunity for him. Enters Forrest + Raya looking to leave making the transfer possible for a reasonable fee.
I don't think Arteta absolutely wants to get rid of Ramsdale. There's no real prospect in our youth teams apart from Hein and there's no point in doing another Runarsson type of deal if we have the money.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
It is kinda predictable how this will all end. One of them will win the starting job, the other one will be sold for a 10-15 mil loss probably in about 18-24 months from now.

I like Rams, I hope he makes it but he has to cut down on some of the mental errors we have seen this year. He had a better 2022 overall.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is kinda predictable how this will all end. One of them will win the starting job, the other one will be sold for a 10-15 mil loss probably in about 18-24 months from now.

I like Rams, I hope he makes it but he has to cut down on some of the mental errors we have seen this year. He had a better 2022 overall.
The idea probably is all the starters can't be too comfortable with their places and they have to earn it every week. We still have no back up for Saka.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Ramsdale is shite so this makes perfect sense. He will be sold in a year or two to Everton.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Deal even better than initially thought.
Loan + option to buy. So we get to choose between Raya and Ramsdale in a year.

Robertd0803

Yeah its a fantastic deal for Arsenal. Not quite sure what Brentford were thinking though.

Alemar

So they rejected a 40m Spurs bid to accept a 3m loan without obligation to buy ? :D

gajender

So they rejected a 40m Spurs bid to accept a 3m loan without obligation to buy ? :D
I don't believe Spurs made any bid of 40 m for Brentford to reject , it seems both Brentford and Raya overplayed their hand and Arsenal got good deal out of it .

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah its a fantastic deal for Arsenal. Not quite sure what Brentford were thinking though.
I think they get 30m fixed this way if Raya does well so some reward and if Arsenal does not take the option they can still buy him next summer for 20m+ anyway.

RuudTom83

Interesting (also well done to the gormless media for reporting the deal completely wrong all day)

They are both no.1's really, so its a 1 season competition between the two...if Ramsdale wins then Raya can go back to Brentford. If Raya wins Arsenal pay up and move Ramsdale on next summer.

Thats my take anyway.

wr8_utd

:'(
Interesting (also well done to the gormless media for reporting the deal completely wrong all day)

They are both no.1's really, so its a 1 season competition between the two...if Ramsdale wins then Raya can go back to Brentford. If Raya wins Arsenal pay up and move Ramsdale on next summer.

Thats my take anyway.
Its a solid deal for both Arsenal and Brentford but a strange one for Raya given that he's now unlikely to be coming in as first choice if its a loan deal with no obligation?

RuudTom83

Its a solid deal for both Arsenal and Brentford but a strange one for Raya given that he's now unlikely to be coming in as first choice if its a loan deal with no obligation?
True, but I guess for Raya it's a simple case of Arsenal > Brentford. What happens after that is partially up to his performances.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If Raya trains and plays better than Ramsdale then he will start. That's what competition is. Ramsdale has been playing well for Arsenal but competition is a good thing and it can keep players stay focus.

OverratedOpinion

Fair play to Arsenal, I was questioning this deal when the 40m was being quoted but whoever ends up being first choice they will have the best backup keeper in the league for a year for £3m.

They will also have a season to fully analyse and see who they want to move forward with without risking anything.

Really good deal for them. Struggling to see what Brentford get out of it personally.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Amazing deal for us, Edu has pulled off a masterclass. Helps with FFP too and we may still be able to get another player in.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Amazing deal for us, Edu has pulled off a masterclass. Helps with FFP too and we may still be able to get another player in.
I don’t understand this deal though. 1 of them keepers is going to be unhappy being on the bench. You don’t spend so much on a keeper to bench him so I’d assume Raya will be your number 1? I mean it’s great that you’ll have 2 quality keepers but if Ramsdale isn’t starting games then sooner or later he may want out.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t understand this deal though. 1 of them keepers is going to be unhappy being on the bench. You don’t spend so much on a keeper to bench him so I’d assume Raya will be your number 1? I mean it’s great that you’ll have 2 quality keepers but if Ramsdale isn’t starting games then sooner or later he may want out.
Everyone needs to fight for a starting spot, including Havertz. ESR, Trossard, Ben White, Timber, Nketiah are also competing for a starting spot. So far only Saka, Odegaard, Saliba, Gabriel and Zinchenko(if he is fit) are guaranteed to start imo.