David Raya

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Everyone needs to fight for a starting spot, including Havertz. ESR, Trossard, Ben White, Timber, Nketiah are also competing for a starting spot. So far only Saka, Odegaard, Saliba, Gabriel and Zinchenko(if he is fit) are guaranteed to start imo.
I think trossard is getting close to becoming a regular. He’s been decent for you lately. Will havertz be competing with Jesus for a number 1 striker? I think that’s where you’ll fall short of the title. Not having a natural goalscorer. You look very strong in other positions.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think trossard is getting close to becoming a regular. He’s been decent for you lately. Will havertz be competing with Jesus for a number 1 striker? I think that’s where you’ll fall short of the title. Not having a natural goalscorer. You look very strong in other positions.
Havertz will rotate/compete with Rice as #8 and false 9 with Jesus depends on tactics and and the availability of players in the team. Rice will also rotate/compete with Havertz as #8 and #6 with Partey as well. These are just my guess. Arsenal needs the depth to play in CL this season.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Everyone needs to fight for a starting spot, including Havertz. ESR, Trossard, Ben White, Timber, Nketiah are also competing for a starting spot. So far only Saka, Odegaard, Saliba, Gabriel and Zinchenko(if he is fit) are guaranteed to start imo.
Zinchenko would not stay in that list for long if Timber keep playing the way he does currently. Basically 2 of Timber, White, Zinchenko based on tactics when everyone available and fit.
Also Martinelli of last season will be the preferred choice on LW whenever available. Trossard is better centrally CF LCM and Nelson/ESR is not close to Martinelli.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
I personally feel Trossard is best at CF and is more productive than anyone else playing there.
Most likely we will go for a CF next summer (hopefully Ferguson)

Dominos

Deal even better than initially thought.
Loan + option to buy. So we get to choose between Raya and Ramsdale in a year.

Where is the Brentford fan on here who has been bragging about how they won't budge from their £40m asking price :lol:

This is one of the worst negotiations of all time from Brentford.

pascell

Don't actually think he's all that, looked suspect in games I watched him in after we were linked with him around January.

Hopefully helps us and Brentford come in for Henderson.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is mental to me.

He's a really good keeper.

What specifically do you think he's rubbish at?
I was exaggerating slightly, he’s not shite, just not that good either. Think he’s a below average shot stopper who has some clangers in him. He’s decent on the ball, but overconfident for someone with his ability. Overall think he comes over painfully cocky and more assured of his (limited) abilities. Raya in comparison is much more solid in all departments and I think will quickly displace him.

OverratedOpinion

I was exaggerating slightly, he’s not shite, just not that good either. Think he’s a below average shot stopper who has some clangers in him. He’s decent on the ball, but overconfident for someone with his ability. Overall think he comes over painfully cocky and more assured of his (limited) abilities. Raya in comparison is much more solid in all departments and I think will quickly displace him.
Equally as mental to me I'm afraid, I think he's in the top 5 keepers in the league myself. Agree to disagree on that one.

Gandalf

Where is the Brentford fan on here who has been bragging about how they won't budge from their £40m asking price :lol:

This is weird but they were boxed into a corner. His market never developed the way they and he thought it would and they had already gone out and signed his replacement. With his deal expiring they had to do something and at least this way they either end up with 30M if Arsenal take up the option or at least thanks to the extension they can try and sell him again next summer and hope demand is higher. Disappointing for them and probably for the player too though, both will have expected a lot more from this process.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t understand this deal though. 1 of them keepers is going to be unhappy being on the bench. You don’t spend so much on a keeper to bench him so I’d assume Raya will be your number 1? I mean it’s great that you’ll have 2 quality keepers but if Ramsdale isn’t starting games then sooner or later he may want out.
The line from Arsenal ATM is that Raya is to provide competition. So Ramsdale still number 1 for now. But I'm sure any doubt or slip up and Raya gets his chance. And we're only spending £3mil (with option to buy) for then loan and can reassess our options in 12 months. By then Arteta will know who he prefers between the two.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford

Right here pal - £30m is better than the £20-25m being banded about by some. I mean to be fair people in glass houses and all that, imagine a United fan lecturing on negotiating :lol:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
The line from Arsenal ATM is that Raya is to provide competition. So Ramsdale still number 1 for now. But I'm sure any doubt or slip up and Raya gets his chance. And we're only spending £3mil (with option to buy) for then loan and can reassess our options in 12 months. By then Arteta will know who he prefers between the two.
I think you might find this is just a FFP fudge from your lot - the option gets triggered automatically very easily.

Apparently the option is automatically triggered if Raya does any of the following:

1. Is pictured holding an Arsenal scarf
2. Turns up to training at Arsenal's training ground
3. Refuses to be interviewed by Arsenal Fan TV

You get the gist :) basically I’d be amazed if the fee doesn’t get paid next summer and maybe some addons on top.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Right here pal - £30m is better than the £20-25m being banded about by some. I mean to be fair people in glass houses and all that, imagine a United fan lecturing on negotiating :lol:
Don't think any ManUtd fans calls our recruitment team as some negotiation masters and we expect to get bad deals in probably every transfer.

Might be a surprise but ManUtd fans negotiate the price, so as bad as ManUtd are at negotiating, it has nothing to do with fans.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think you might find this is just a FFP fudge from your lot - the option gets triggered automatically very easily.

Apparently the option is automatically triggered if Raya does any of the following:

You get the gist :) basically I’d be amazed if the fee doesn’t get paid next summer and maybe some addons on top.
As I understand it though it's an option to buy, not obligation. So it's still in our hands if we buy him or not. If we want him, we can sell Ramsdale to facilitate the sale.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

I am pretty sure Brentford knows what they are doing and this is a win win situation for all 3 parties involved.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I am pretty sure Brentford knows what they are doing and this is a win win situation for all 3 parties involved.
Yes I think Brentford is thinking his contract is up in 12 months and they can lose him on a free anyway. If he does well for us and we buy him, £30mil (incl loan fee) would be much more than they'd otherwise get.

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
They are getting giddy again :drool:
It's actually quite nice being optimistic and looking forward to watching your team play every weekend :drool:

Hopefully United fans can experience that again one day

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
As I understand it though it's an option to buy, not obligation. So it's still in our hands if we buy him or not. If we want him, we can sell Ramsdale to facilitate the sale.
So it is an “option” but not really an option because there are certain triggers that turn the option to an obligation to buy. Those triggers I listed were to illustrate how easily it will turn to an obligation to buy, in fact I now hear it’s practically as basic as him turning up and training with you. You are essentially buying him out paying him next year due your FFP situation. Raya is now an Arsenal player and we won’t see him back next summer and good luck to him best goalie at Brentford alongside another gooner Wojciech Szczesny.

IrishRedDevil

It's actually quite nice being optimistic and looking forward to watching your team play every weekend :drool:

Hopefully United fans can experience that again one day
We have plenty of optimism - ETH has gained that in 12 months with plenty of changes.
As an Arsenal fan on a United forum, maybe its not obvious for you.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
So it is an “option” but not really an option because there are certain triggers that turn the option to an obligation to buy. Those triggers I listed were to illustrate how easily it will turn to an obligation to buy, in fact I now hear it’s practically as basic as him turning up and training with you. You are essentially buying him out paying him next year due your FFP situation. Raya is now an Arsenal player and we won’t see him back next summer and good luck to him best goalie at Brentford alongside another gooner Wojciech Szczesny.
Only Fabrizio reported the said obligation with condition after his pants were pulled up by Ornstein as he kept on saying documents signed for 30m deal done. He is the only one to mention FFP which is not yet a concern for Arsenal and he suddenly came up with this info out of his arse in 2min after Ornstein posted the loan deal.

In any case this seems to me a good deal all around as we get Raya now, Brentford most likely gets 30m for a keeper in the last year of his contact and for Raya nothing changes as he anyway had to fight for his place. A solid deal all around.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
We have plenty of optimism - ETH has gained that in 12 months with plenty of changes.
As an Arsenal fan on a United forum, maybe its not obvious for you.
If there's optimism on this forum it's hidden very well

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
[
Only Fabrizio reported the said obligation with condition after his pants were pulled up by Ornstein as he kept on saying documents signed for 30m deal done. He is the only one to mention FFP which is not yet a concern for Arsenal and he suddenly came up with this info out of his arse in 2min after Ornstein posted the loan deal.

In any case this seems to me a good deal all around as we get Raya now, Brentford most likely gets 30m for a keeper in the last year of his contact and for Raya nothing changes as he anyway had to fight for his place. A solid deal all around.
Trust me I don’t use Fab the fraud as the source of the information - the info about the option becoming an obligation after the very achievable clauses on the deal comes from an impeccable source. He is wrong about number of appearances triggering the obligation to buy anyway. He is your player you will buy him and it will help your FFP.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
[Trust me I don’t use Fab the fraud as the source of the information - the info about the option becoming an obligation after the very achievable clauses on the deal comes from an impeccable source. He is wrong about number of appearances triggering the obligation to buy anyway. He is your player you will buy him and it will help your FFP.
Can you share your source?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Can you share your source?
It comes from somebody who speaks directly with the owner and director of football regularly and gets some bits and bobs that he passes on -so it will be info from The very top of the club.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
One more reason to hate Arsenal

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Real Madrid sniffing around him now apparently - wonder if they’ll try gazumpimg the gooners

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Terrific deal for Arsenal in my opinion.

Irritating how competent they are these days

Orange Tree

I don't get the deal. Raya only has one year left on his contract. After January, he is free to talk to anyone and sign for another club.

Or did he sign an extension just for this loan deal?

Plastic Evra

I don't get the deal. Raya only has one year left on his contract. After January, he is free to talk to anyone and sign for another club.

Or did he sign an extension just for this loan deal?
He did apparently :
Sky Sports article

Most everyone agrees this is pretty much an obligation to buy and just a way to defer the transfer fee by a year.