David Villa announces retirement

Apokalips

Became underrated and overshadowed after Torres exploded at Liverpool, was the better player of the two
Only by people in England. Villa was always the starting striker for Spain and was always the much more decisive player for them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Suarez is the better forward but it is highly debatable whether will Neymar perform better under Pep.
Villa definitely works harder off the ball, but overall Neymar is probably as good of a goalscorer but more adept to play on the wing and is much better creatively. I think the difference in talent would be bigger than the difference in suitability — especially since lately we've seen Pep working with lots of different wingers like Robben, Sterling, Sane and even Mahrez (the latter one was pretty much the opposite of the image of Pep's winger in my eyes).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Only by people in England. Villa was always the starting striker for Spain and was always the much more decisive player for them.
Torres was 3rd in Ballon d'Or list of 2008 (Villa was 7th), 11th in 2009 (Villa was 26th) and only after Villa transferred to a big club he managed to finish higher — so no, not only in England. I'd still say that Torres peak level was higher though, but it was quite short and Villa definitely had a better career, despite spending his better years at Valencia.

RooneyLegend

David Villa aging was the first huge blow to Barcelona. Neymar was more technically gifted, but Villa's objectivity and determination made him a player who would show up at the decisive moments.
You can't seriously be suggesting they downgraded from Villa to Neymar.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I remember my devastation when we didn't sign him when he was leaving Valencia. Great player at his peak.

mu4c_20le

Good player but declined a bit after he left Valencia and never found that elite form again. The Spanish Robbie Keane.

djwejs

Always remember the goal he scored against Utd in the CL Final. Top bins

Skills

Snitch
He was the most decisive player for Spain in their 2010 world cup win. They were impotent without his goals.

Great player, and I was gutted we never got him. He would've been the one worth breaking the Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez trio for (for Tevez obviously)

mu4c_20le

Not trying to downplay Robbie Keane but Villa was in a whole different class.
Yeah his finishing was a level above for sure, but they had similar career trajectories. I didnt mention MLS because I didnt want it to seem like having a go at him for going there, but the fact is he found a level that was suitable for him at that time, and he prolonged his career because of it. I remember being a bit disappointed he didn't set the world alight at Barca, I expected him to deliver for them like Suarez eventually did.

MrEleson

Yeah his finishing was a level above for sure, but they had similar career trajectories. I didnt mention MLS because I didnt want it to seem like having a go at him for going there, but the fact is he found a level that was suitable for him at that time, and he prolonged his career because of it. I remember being a bit disappointed he didn't set the world alight at Barca, I expected him to deliver for them like Suarez eventually did.
Villa had far more to his game than kean. He played out on the wing to accomodate Messi in the false #9 role for most of his Barca career. He was also ambidextrous.

His leg break in December 2011 impacted his career at Barca.

VanKenny

You can't seriously be suggesting they downgraded from Villa to Neymar.
It was an upgrade because post injury Villa wasnt that good. But 2008-2010 Villa has no upgrade imo. Neymar was more like a sideways step imo, comparing both of them at their prime.

He was an absolute killer. Better than Torres.

MrEleson

It was an upgrade because post injury Villa wasnt that good. But 2008-2010 Villa has no upgrade imo. Neymar was more like a sideways step imo, comparing both of them at their prime.

As good as Villa was (one of the very best strikers of that era), Neymar is better in every facet of the game except finishing.

RooneyLegend

At no point was Villa as good for Barca as what Neymar was. First things first he was pretty much played out of position for most of his stay there.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I remember my devastation when we didn't sign him when he was leaving Valencia. Great player at his peak.
We were strongly linked to him before he joined Valencia. Think the SSN (when they were reliable) article relating to our interest at that time is still knocking about the web somewhere.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Became underrated and overshadowed after Torres exploded at Liverpool, was the better player of the two
Torres had a crazy peak (not in terms of numbers neccessarily - neither did Villa - but in the sense that feck me he was crazy good when he was on song for about 2.5 seasons). He was a phenomenal player.

Villa was arguably the better of the two and I agree in that sense (certainly over longevity/time, but also in link up play) but certainly also a better player for Spain and definitely more what Barca needed.

I don't think Villa at that Liverpool team would have been that great, for instance - not to the level Torres was. Likewise, Torres in that Barca team wouldn't have fit either.

SungSam7

He was my idol for nearly a decade, wanted to have the same hairstyle, play the same and take penalties the same. Last player I've ever looked at as an idol since I'm basically older than a lot of players these days going on 28. Somehow felt Torres got more applause even though Villa was a much better player. After Torres lost some pace, he never redefined himself while Villa did with A.Madrid.

JMack1234

I think he's underrated.

Not because people don't appreciate he was an exceptional player because everyone does.

But I don't feel he gets the credit he deserves for his contribution to those Spain and Barcelona sides.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United make Villa move
by Francisco Acedo

Manchester United have made a move to sign Real Zaragoza striker David Villa, according to the player's agent.

United are believed to have made their interest known to Zaragoza and are ready to rival Valencia for his signature.

Valencia have been in talks with Real Zaragoza for Villa for the last few days and are keen to bring him to La Mestalla.

Real Zaragoza are resigned to losing Villa due to their financial problems, but they are insistent that he will not be sold on the cheap.

Villa's release clause stands at €12 million and although Valencia are only offering €9 million Zaragoza are determined to get every penny for the striker.

Villa is regarded as one of the best young strikers in Spain and he was strongly linked with a move to Liverpool last January before they signed Fernando Morientes.

The 23-year-old enjoyed a productive season with Zaragoza last term netting 18 goals and breaking into the national team set-up.

His performances appear to have caught the eye of United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and he is hoping to lure him to Old Trafford.

News of United's interest in Villa comes as something of a surprise as they have an abundance of attacking talent already at Old Trafford with the likes of Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Smith and Louis Saha all battling it out for places in the side.

However, it appears that Valencia are firm favourites to clinch Villa's signature with the player thought to be keen on staying in Spain at this stage of his career.

Villa's agent Jose Luis Tamargo has confirmed United's interest and admitted Villa is ready to snub a lucrative contract on offer from United to stay in Spain.

"The player is ready to accept less money to stay in La Liga," said Tamargo.
What could have been.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It would be fair to say he's the best striker in the international game since Ronaldo.

Ekeke

Good player but declined a bit after he left Valencia and never found that elite form again. The Spanish Robbie Keane.
He was Spain's best ever striker and did a very good job playing left wing for Barcelona, instead of as a striker

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Between him and Eto'o for the #5 spot in the ranking of strikers from the last 20-ish years after Fenômeno, Suárez, Henry and Shevchenko (including the Kyiv period), IMO. Such a wonderful center forward — one of the select few that could excel in just about any scheme because of his movement, intelligence, balance, ability to link with team-mates and of course, unerring eye for goal. While the Zaragoza and Valencia years played a part in his progression, you have to wonder how much higher he would be regarded by the wider football-watching base if he had joined a major club sooner (and been the star of the show at #9). By the time he transferred to Barcelona at age 28, you-know-who was already establishing himself as a historically great False 9 and Villa had to cater to his needs — would've been much more impactful at center forward with the wide creative forward version of Messi from recent years! :drool:

Bojan11

Lots of strikers struggled at Barca. Ibrahimovic struggled. Put Suarez on the wing under Pep and he would have struggled. Henry wasn’t happy playing left wing either.

MrEleson

And movement. And international performance.
internationally Neymar is great. He’s only behind 2 players or so in their top goal scorer charts at 27. He usually always performs for his country apart from last years WC where he wasn’t fully fit. Villa was was great too but part of that Golden generation Spain had.

Ekeke

internationally Neymar is great. He’s only behind 2 players or so in their top goal scorer charts at 27. He usually always performs for his country apart from last years WC where he wasn’t fully fit. Villa was was great too but part of that Golden generation Spain had.
So? Villa won things, and is his country's top goalscorer. And a lot less was expected of Spain than Brazil before Villa came through. They've also been nowhere near the same since he stopped playing for the national team. Brazil might even be better after Neymar

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Have watched him this season at Vissel. For a guy who is almost 38 he's still able to make great runs/find space.

Great career. Great player.
The football brain side never ages. I saw a massively overweight retired Maradona run an entire (testimonial) game standing still.

He barely moved, but could still see things us up in the stands only visualised after he executed them.

MrEleson

So? Villa won things, and is his country's top goalscorer. And a lot less was expected of Spain than Brazil before Villa came through. They've also been nowhere near the same since he stopped playing for the national team. Brazil might even be better after Neymar
They haven't been the same because other player like Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso etc that were the core of the team, declined not because of Villa. He didn't play at Euro2012 but they still won that competition.

Ekeke

They haven't been the same because other player like Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso etc that were the core of the team, declined not because of Villa. He didn't play at Euro2012 but they still won that competition.
They werent as good

InfiniteBoredom

They werent as good
Spain 2012 was the version least reliant on having a top center forward (mostly out of necessity). I personally think they were no worse than 08 and definitely better than WC 2010.

Spain 2010 in all honesty was quite brutal to watch, such a technical side with so many great players shouldn’t be scraping out 1-0 wins throughout the tournament. Sure, even without scoring they never really looked like losing either, but we saw glimpse of what could’ve happened with the Swiss defeat in groupstage, and with a less talented forward than Villa that tournament they could easily have stumbled in PKs somewhere along the line.