David vs Goliath : Haye vs Valuev

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I hardly follow boxing nowadays but this match up has got me interested due to the massive difference in size and weight ...

Haye, 28, is eight stones lighter and nine inches shorter than Valuev.

He said: "David only needed a slingshot and stone to flatten Goliath, my right hand generates more power than that."

Valuev, who is 7ft tall, has yet to be floored or knocked out in his 16-year professional career and has lost just once in 50 fights.
But Haye, who has also lost just once in his career, said: "I am thrilled to announce that my dream of becoming world heavyweight champion will be realised on 7 November, when I challenge the tallest and heaviest champion of all time.

"I can't wait to step into the ring and prove that size doesn't matter. Mark my words: I will be the first man to knock Nikolai Valuev out."
So does Haye really have a chance of knocking him out?

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Looking at that picture, Haye will be lucky to escape alive.

zing

Zingle balls

Came across this pic on google. His wife..

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Valuev's lateral movement is quite slow, but his hand speed is good for a big guy. Still going with Haye on this one, but it will be tough.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
With all the talk Haye has been coming out with he's going to look quite a cock if he gets beaten.

Should be an interesting fight though.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I fancy Haye to win, not sure which method he'll achieve this, but i'd say something along the lines of dropping a Grand Piano from 30ft onto yer man's napper is prob the way he's gonna approach things!

+

+

(Trial runs)

=

(Knocked-out Russian but the Piano's grand) ;)

(....and a very delighted David Haye)

Lovely Jubbly!

starman

Haye has as much chance of knocking out Valuev, as being knocking out himself.

Haye maybe a big puncher but he has a very suspect chin, after all his talking it would not suprise me seeing him fall flat on his arse.

In theory it should be a easy victory for Haye, if he does not manage to knock him out he will win on points but as the fight is being held in Eastern Europe he can't rely on the judges.

I see the fight going along the lines the longer it takes for him to get Valuev out of there the more dangrous it becomes for Haye, ala Carl Thompson.

Btw, shouldn't this be in the Boxing thread.

Leg-End

Haye will have to dominate the points obviously or knock the guy out to win, never trust those German judges.

Haye has the power to do damage, trouble is punching upwards must lose abit of pop on them I would imagine.

prateik

Valuev is a monster . there is no way he wont win
saturday night isnt it

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
I expect a suspect points victory for Valuev, like the Holyfield fight

Adzzz

Staff
He's a fecking beast, Haye's dead, dead I tell ya.

He'll need a fecking yellow pages to stand on. Plus that Valuev looks like Vidic was invited to kick him in the face, for four days and - on the looks of things - Valuev didn't even blink during the face/foot/kicking session.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

During a Monday press conference in London, David Haye went on a rampage with a verbal assault on WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev. Haye challenges Valuev on November 7. Haye said that he plans to keep making fun of Valuev to drive the champion crazy. He wants Valuev to make mistakes by "fighting angry" in the ring.

"I always fight better when my opponent's angry," said Haye to Reuters. "I relish that, I need him to come out there and throw a lot of punches. I thrive off that excitement and that anticipation before a fight. I'm going to get him in a position where he really wants to not only beat me but to kill me. I know he's big on hunting, on shooting bears and pigs and whatever. I want him to go out there and treat me the same way he tries to treat those animals."

Haye will be giving up a lot in height, with Valuev standing at over 7-feet and weighs almost 100-pounds more than Haye. None of that worries Haye. He is more worried about Valuev's stench. Haye claims to have been advised by a few fighters that Valuev has odor issues.

"All you've got to do is look at a picture of the guy and that speaks volumes. I consider him more of a circus show freak that happens to be boxing," Haye said. "He's an ugly type of fighter, he tries to lean on you, tries to brawl and comes out with a really hairy chest that gets matted and is disgusting."

"I've never been a big fan of the matted hair in my face. The size I am, I sort of come up to his chest and apparently the word around the campfire is that he doesn't smell too sweet. I've talked to a few guys that have been in the ring with him and they say that's the first thing they notice, just the stench. Hopefully he runs a cold tap over himself or someone hoses him down outside before he comes in."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mr.suave

There's quite a lot of hype surrounding this fight - much more than there was for his bout against Wlad Klitschko. Lots of people I know who aren't really into boxing are gonna be watching this, whereas a couple of weeks before the Klitschko fight - arguably a much bigger fight - nobody I spoke to even seemed to know who David Haye was. Him and his team have definitely done a good job promoting it.

As for the fight itself... Haye surely has the fastest hands in the division and hits very hard with both. I reckon he'll land quite a lot of punches but as to whether this will have any real effect on Valuev - who's never really been hurt before - is anyone's guess. Considering Haye's stamina is questionable he's gonna need to utilise his good footwork and be in and out because Valuev will lean on him and drain his energy if he stays too close. An extra 8 stone leaning on you for 12 rounds would tire anyone out.

Personally, I see this fight going two ways, really: a points win for Valuev, regardless of whether or not he actually deserves it, or the ref stepping in late after Haye lands a few too many bombs on Valuev. Although there's also the issue of Haye's shakey chin and leaky defence... if he gets knocked out he's gonna look like a right knob after being such a mouthy bastard in the run up to the fight. Especially considering Valuev comes across as a pretty humble guy.

Anyway, here's a recent clip of Haye working the pads in preparation for Saturday night. Impressive speed, it has to be said.

oleonenumber20

I just can't see Haye winning this one. within all the build up to this one Haye has just come across as a mouthy git, whereas Valuev has come across quite intelletical and classy.

Haye may have the power and the speed, but Valuev is just a monster who will knock haye out.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I think Haye may win it.

Forget the talk though, thats all about selling the fight.
Exactly man, some folk dont give Haye enough respect & are putting too much emphasis on the size of Valuev!

Valuev has lost only once in his career of 52 fights. The bloke who beat him - Ruslan Chagaev is 6ft 1in & is a southpaw. Haye is bigger at 6ft 3in & is also southpaw.

Now, i'm not sure how many of those fighters Valuev fought were southpaw, but its well known that many orthodox boxers find it incredibly hard to fight southpaws, so Haye could give yer man alot of problems as Chagaev did!

Its an interesting fight alright, Haye seems quite confident going into it too. He's not put off by his size & i'm sure he & his team have a plan to chop him down - just the same as Rocky & Tony did in 1985!

:D

Forget the talk though, thats all about selling the fight.
Exactly. Valuev's income for the fight is already guaranteed, so Haye is relying on the box office money for revenue, which is why he has had to be out selling the fight in any way he can, and why Valuev has hardly been seen

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Boxing: How a freak fought back

Quite an interesting article about Valuev here, have just posted the first part so click the link for the rest.
He comes across as the gentle giant type of guy - a big contrast to Haye who is bigging himself up at every opportunity. Clearly Haye is doing his best to promote the fight but it seems it also part of his gameplan to try and piss off Valuev and hope that he loses focus in the ring - Haye needs him to drop his guard to give him the opportunity to get that vital punch in.

Nobody denies that from the moment Nikolai Valuev turned professional he was promoted as a freak, another sideshow attraction in the world of boxing, and it was thought that his limited talent would never let him escape the various nicknames he would go on to acquire – the Russian Giant, the Russian Bear, and latterly the Beast from the East.

He stripped to fight in 10 countries, for about the same number of promoters during a decade of abuse after he turned pro. And each time he walked to the ring, the punters pointed their fingers, gasped and laughed at his size, his full coat of body hair and his face.

Similar reactions still follow him, and he's learnt to go along with the line, as he did when he appeared yesterday in Germany to publicise Saturday's fight with David Haye (add another nickname to the list for the "David v Goliath" bout). But over the years, Valuev has spoken more revealingly about the effect it has on a man to grow up treated as a freak. "People have always looked at me, they have always talked about me," Valuev has said. "When I was young, the coaches looked and wondered if I could help them in their sport – when I turned professional it was the same. People looked to see what I could do for them."

Valuev is 7ft (although you'll often see that figure as 7ft 2in) and weighs just under 23st, and in 51 prize fights he has lost just once, but the statistics fail to convey his vastness, his heavy features, his hairy torso, and the numbers fail to reflect his ability in the ring. The freak can now fight, and that is something that nobody predicted when he turned professional in 1993....
Boxing: How a freak fought back - Others, More Sports - The Independent

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
There doesnt seem to alot of interest in this fight amongst Caftards, why do you think that is?

Personally, I think this is a very intriquing encounter. Haye's a good fighter & yer man's a giant thats only lost one fight in 52, so it is a classic case of "David vs Goliath".

On paper you look at it as a non-contest due to the size of Valuev & also his record: 51 wins, 34 K.O's etc.. and Hayes relatively young in Heavyweight conntesting terms, so its an interesting challenge to see if the giant can really be beaten ala Rocky 4!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think there is interest - the problem is that a lot of people probably never even look in the 'Other Sports Forum'

Leg-End

:lol: He's gonna be working away on the body all night long, Rocky style. I guess the one thing is Haye does not need to be as quick as he usually is, take his time and pick his punches because speed is not an asset against a guy of that size.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I think there is interest - the problem is that a lot of people probably never even look in the 'Other Sports Forum'
Too busy talking shite in the general more like RB :rolleyes:

feckin great to talk about other sports apart from football, there's only so much you can say at the end of the day. Thats why posting images with a short mild-awesome angry rant & leggin it is the new shizzzzznizzzzzz for me :cool:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
:lol: He's gonna be working away on the body all night long, Rocky style. I guess the one thing is Haye does not need to be as quick as he usually is, take his time and pick his punches because speed is not an asset against a guy of that size.
A point well made LE :cool:

I still reckon Hayes best chance of winning is at post number 6 of this thread!

starman

There doesnt seem to alot of interest in this fight amongst Caftards, why do you think that is?

Personally, I think this is a very intriquing encounter. Haye's a good fighter & yer man's a giant thats only lost one fight in 52, so it is a classic case of "David vs Goliath".

On paper you look at it as a non-contest due to the size of Valuev & also his record: 51 wins, 34 K.O's etc.. and Hayes relatively young in Heavyweight conntesting terms, so its an interesting challenge to see if the giant can really be beaten ala Rocky 4!
Its no different to when Holyfield fought Valuev, which was more of a "David vs Goliath" scenario, and that never drummed up much interest. The interest is only there among "causal" fans is due to the play on Hayes name and his ability to sell a fight.

As I have said before, in theory this should be a very easy fight for Haye, he is the harder puncher, faster and technically much better. The only thing that should stop him from winning is:
1. his stamina and suspect chin. 2. The German judges.

He can over come the first point easily if he fights intelligently and picks his shot, the second point is unavoidable, unfortunately.

Adzzz

Staff
Haye will have to body punch this big fella like feck if, and it's a big if, that Valuev doesn't simply destroy Haye in a punch.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Too busy talking shite in the general more like RB :rolleyes:

feckin great to talk about other sports apart from football, there's only so much you can say at the end of the day. Thats why posting images with a short mild-awesome angry rant & leggin it is the new shizzzzznizzzzzz for me :cool:
A lot of those who spend most of their time in the General would have trouble finding the Football Forum nevermind the Other Sports!

I have noticed your random images and rants - keep them up :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Its no different to when Holyfield fought Valuev, which was more of a "David vs Goliath" scenario, and that never drummed up much interest. The interest is only there among "causal" fans is due to the play on Hayes name and his ability to sell a fight.
I thought the David v Goliath scenario was more apt here because Haye is essentially a cruiserweight who stepped up a division.

But I agree that Haye's ability to generate press coverage has helped to hype the fight - as I said in the OP, i hardly follow boxing anymore but yet this fight has triggered my interest.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I haven't followed the heavy weights in a few years, considering watching this but undecided...

starman

I thought the David v Goliath scenario was more apt here because Haye is essentially a cruiserweight who stepped up a division.

But I agree that Haye's ability to generate press coverage has helped to hype the fight - as I said in the OP, i hardly follow boxing anymore but yet this fight has triggered my interest.

I think its more do with the height difference. Haye is a fairly big guy physically anyway so the transition upward is relativity easy, as a amateur he actually fought as a heavyweight. Holyfield is essentially a blown up light heavyweight.