David vs Goliath : Haye vs Valuev

Leg-End

BBC won't show live boxing for years after what happened with Fraudley, them days are gone.

Leg-End

Never understood why someone would support another just because they have the same "nationality". Bizarre to me. Surely you support someone that you think is top class in their sport? Yes, Haye is an excellent boxer, so in that case, the result was going to be obvious in any case.
What? :lol:

We can't support Haye until hes the champion but then we can?

Never understood why someone would support another just because they have the same "nationality". Bizarre to me. Surely you support someone that you think is top class in their sport? Yes, Haye is an excellent boxer, so in that case, the result was going to be obvious in any case.
Interesting...isn't that the complete opposite of supporting a local football team, just support United as they are the best

EDIT
Not saying that's what you are saying, but there can be any reason to support someone, be it nationality, ability or whatever

Alex

Weaste went on the same tangent in the Olympic forum in 2008

redwhiteblack

Running away, yeah because Valuev has been the champion by plodding around and relying on the judges. We didnt see the real Haye tonight, but we saw the right result.
This.

Well done, Haye. Hopefully this can start to make the heavyweight division a bit faster, and a bit more exciting again!

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Is that even necessary?

Well done to Haye, an "upset" it was not... great tilt

mr.suave

Risky gameplan considering German boxing's history of controversial decisions, but fair play to Haye, he executed it well, stayed elusive and despite being a little bit gunshy landed some clean, hard shots. Even had Valuev doing the chicken dance in the 12th.

I thought it was headed for a draw when the first score of 114-114 was read out, which would have netted me £200, but overall I was pleased with the result. Should open the door to some exciting fights in the future. I still don't think he's good enough to beat either of the Klitschkos - although he's got the power to cause Wlad problems - but would love to finally see him in there against one of them in a unification bout. Or failing that, Arreola vs. Haye some time next year sounds appetising, too.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well done David Haye, although we coudln't really see what he is about due to the huge size gap. Not too convinced on his story about the hand, I think Haye would have faught in a very similar fashion regardless to be honest. That was the game plan.

Still not sure he would have got the decision if it wasn't for the big 12th round though. If that one had played out like most of the others, I think Valuev would have won it on the judges scorecards.

Good result for boxing though.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Being a world champion based on running away...The American commentators I heard gave it 2 rounds to Valuev. Guess that final round swung it.
It's boxing. You play to your strengths, score more points than the other guy and avoid getting knocked out. This was a total departure for Haye and I was sceptical that he would have the maturity to fight that way. Had he come out guns blazing he would have got caught by one trick Valuev and lost. How anyone could have thought that Valuev did anything other than plod around with no real effect is beyond me. The judging rules state that any "aggression" you show going forward has to have an end product. Valuev had almost none. Haye moved well and caught Valuev with the only good shots of the bout. Not a surprise that the two judges gave it to Haye by some margin.
From now on you will see Haye on the front foot.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Was I watching the same fight as the rest of you? Because Haye easily won the fight. I was watching it on German telly. After about round 3 the German commentator was already saying that Valuev was being totally outclassed. The commentators on Germany couldn't believe it when one of the judges called it a draw, they said Haye easily won every round. I agree.
They also think that Haye will be far to slick to either Klitschko (both are also based in Germany don't forget), predicting Haye will unify the heavyweight division.
In other words, the Germans rated the Haye performance much more then the British are rating it.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
People were just expecting Haye to be throwing loads of punches. The commentators were giving it to valuev purely based on him coming forward and purely based on how they thought the judges would score it.

If you look at the stats haye was barely hit, he mannor in which he avoided everything from Valuev was impressive and he managed to rock a man who had never even flinched before.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I couldnt believe that Jim Watt had Valuev ahead on points all the way through - apart from a couple of punches early on, Valuev did absolutely nothing - he didnt even really look like a boxer.
I do think Haye couldve knocked him out if he had really gone for it but then obviously he would have left himself open to a lucky punch. Haye said he hurt his hand badly in an early round and that is why he had to change his gameplan.

Drifter

American
Quite a few journalists and pundits this morning have egg on there faces so they are now trying to play down the win.Yes the fight was not explosive but Haye stuck rigidly to his game plan and proved he could adapt to certain situations for me that's a sign of a good fighter.But until he beats Wladimir Klitschko they won't be happy.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Btw did anyone happen to see Ricky Hatton.

Turned into a right porker. Talk about letting yourself go.
He used to do that while he was was still boxing so it was always gunna happen when he retired.

Carl

Eh? It's like saying we shouldn't support England in the World Cup we should support Brazil.

Ability means not one jot, you get behind the team or individual that is representing you.

If everyone took your view then Man Utd and Chelsea would be the only teams in England that anyone supported and life outside of the top division would simply die.

Carl

Quite suprised he ballooned that much. Has he officially retired now btw ?
I don't think he's officially announced it and there's always talk of him fighting again but i hope he calls it a day for his sake. If he steps into the ring with either Mayweather or PacMan again he could get seriously hurt.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
Was I watching the same fight as the rest of you? Because Haye easily won the fight. I was watching it on German telly. After about round 3 the German commentator was already saying that Valuev was being totally outclassed. The commentators on Germany couldn't believe it when one of the judges called it a draw, they said Haye easily won every round. I agree.
They also think that Haye will be far to slick to either Klitschko (both are also based in Germany don't forget), predicting Haye will unify the heavyweight division.
In other words, the Germans rated the Haye performance much more then the British are rating it.
Great post.

Many so called experts are eating a bit of humble pie today and Jim Watt is the boxing version of Chris Waddle :houllier:

Haye will never be the most popular fighter like Naseem Hamed as he has a big mouth and fights in a bit of an unorthadox way like Naz used to.To be honest though so far he has backed his mouth up and long may it continue as he is a breath of fresh air to a division dominated by manufactured eastern block fighters that are probably created in a lab.

Valuev is a joke who was at times sparring fresh air in last nights fight he was that slow,good riddance and bring on the Klitchkos.

Ekeke

The only reason people questioned it, even during the fight, was because Holyfield clearly beat Valuev too. He also did it with a bit more oomph. But they still gave Valuev the win. So anyone who watched that fight would have gone into this fight thinking the same thing was likely to happen and would have been wary about getting excited about Haye being up on points.

In hindsight, considering all the stick the judges got last year after the Holyfield fight, the judges of this match were unlikely to be as protective of the champ. If anything it was Haye who got generous scoring.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Well done David.

Haye landed more punches, boxed better, moved better, and stopped Valuev from touching him, for the most part. All of that equals a points victory. It also equals clever boxing, especially when your opponent is 9 inches and 7 stones bigger than you, and wants nothing more than to get in close and lean all over you.

This was never going to be a pretty fight, and everyone involved knew it, including the judges.

redpie

There are too many belts and governing bodies in boxing but respect to Haye.
Becoming only Britain's 3rd World Heavyweight Champion since Victorian times is still something to be lauded.

starman

There are too many belts and governing bodies in boxing but respect to Haye.
Becoming only Britain's 3rd World Heavyweight Champion since Victorian times is still something to be lauded.
Indeed, though he did do it by beating probably the worst heavyweight champion of all-time.

I am more impressed with him making Valuev do the chicken dance.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I though with talk of Haye fighting at Wembley Stadium i'd post a trip down memory lane:

What was the capacity that night, anyone know? Wonder how many they'd allow for the new Wembley.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Well done Haye, fought a cautious fight & landed some good shots. Dont think anyone expected the fight to be a classic, especially given the size difference, but it showed that Haye & his backroom team did their homework & the game plan worked a treat.

I fancied it to go the distance & for Haye to win on points, but it all depended on how Haye approached it, and he approached it very well by staying the hell outta harms way. There's a more than one-way to shin a cat & Haye did that!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I though with talk of Haye fighting at Wembley Stadium i'd post a trip down memory lane:

What was the capacity that night, anyone know? Wonder how many they'd allow for the new Wembley.
You could easily squeeze in 120,000 people, but health & safety issues on the pitch would be a big concern, so anything upto 100k would be sweet!