Day 11: Australia vs Denmark | Tunisia vs France | Anti-Football vs Vargentina | Saudi Arabia vs Mexico

Ralaks

I really hope we properly arrive today, kind of feels similar to the Euros where we have to get a win in the last game after 2 poor results, at least that should be motivation for the players, we were in an almost exact position, in fact probably worse 1½ years ago.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't remember much of the Denmark game apart from the goals but that Australia side was absolutely trash against France.

They haven't shown anything to say that they're a tier above the likes of Brazil or England imo. The only tiebreaker they might have is that they've got the best player in the tournament in their attack who can single-handedly win them games, but so does Brazil with Neymar should he be fit for the KO stages.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Can't remember much of the Denmark game apart from the goals but that Australia side was absolutely trash against France.

They haven't shown anything to say that they're a tier above the likes of Brazil or England imo. The only tiebreaker they might have is that they've got the best player in the tournament in their attack who can single-handedly win them games, but so does Brazil with Neymar should he be fit for the KO stages.
With the 1-1 Denmark had 2 good chances. France was superior but had a difficult game.

Member 101269

Argentina play, today MW2 release a Messi skin a ridiculous £16.99

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd be resting Mbappe and Tchouameni. Not sure why he'd even take the risk with either of them getting injured in what is a meaningless game.
I would also rest Tchouaméni but Mbappé is a difficult one. He is one of these players that refuse the idea of not playing when remotely fit.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I'm surprised it's not just Kounde, even if you're sacrificing some attacking play. Could use him to help out the middle and push Griezmann a few yards higher.

Crazy that Ferland Mendy isn't there.

I guess I'll bet on Tchouameni to score if Fofana is the deepest since his odds might not get adjusted for that, whereas my guess is the betting lines have Guenzoudi priced as a normal #10.
Kounde most likely will be starting at RB in the next round, Pavard is playing to get some confidence back after that disastrous first game of his. I agree, like most french fans, that we were short at FB and Mendy or Digne should have been there, but Deschamps was certainly not expecting to lose Lucas H. 10mins into the WC.
I hope Tchouaméni raise his play, he can do much better than he did in the first 2 games and he knows it, that's why he asked to play. Especially offensively, with a more defensive minded midfield, he needs to take responsabilities going forward.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

England's only wins came against two of the absolute worst sides in the tournament. I've not seen anything from them to suggest that they're still not the side that was getting slapped around by Hungary months ago. We'll get a better look at who they really are should they progress past Senegal.

In France's case, they've at least beaten one of the best international teams in the world right now in Denmark and look just as formidable as they did in Russia 2018.

Brazil are the only ones that I'd say are there with them. For me France and Brazil are in a tier of their own and then it's the likes of England, Spain and Portugal below that.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I'd be resting Mbappe and Tchouameni. Not sure why he'd even take the risk with either of them getting injured in what is a meaningless game.
They both asked to play apparently. Mbappé always wants to play when fit and I guess he's after that top scorer title.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I can literally see any result for Poland v Argentina, between a small margin Poland victory to a complete and utter drubbing from Argentina's hands (or legs)... We will definitely park the bus as even 1-goal loss puts us in a decent position (unless Saudi Arabia win their game or Mexico win by 3) so we can't be losing our heads. We've not played very well offensively but have generally kept opposition's offense quiet, although Argentina's firepower is far ahead of that of Saudi Arabia and Mexico. We are capable of getting a result here though. It would be quite illustrious for Messi's last ever World Cup game to be against Poland, knocked out by Lewandowski who lost his only ever shot at Ballon d'Or to him (speaking of that, this World Cup makes it even more ridiculous for that award to have gone to Messi for Copa America, with the quality of SA teams on show being at historically poor level).

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
According to TF1, France team should be: Mandanda - Camavinga, Konate, Varane, Pavard - Tchouaméni, Guendouzi, Fofana - Mbappé, Thuram, Coman. Pretty much as expected.
Lequipe just reported that Mbappé is not rumored to start anymore. After initially asking to play, he asked to be on the bench (maybe related to the nagging ankle issue he's been dealing with). They dont say who is supposed to replace him. It should be Kolo Muani if Deschamps wants to rest Giroud and Dembélé. Also Disasi should be starting at RB according to them.

antk

Lequipe just reported that Mbappé is not rumored to start anymore. After initially asking to play, he asked to be on the bench (maybe related to the nagging ankle issue he's been dealing with). They dont say who is supposed to replace him. It should be Kolo Muani if Deschamps wants to rest Giroud and Dembélé. Also Disasi should be starting at RB according to them.
Full-blown B-team then. There's only two starters left in this squad.

Don't think there'll be much to learn for the rest of the competition.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Full-blown B-team then. There's only two starters left in this squad.

Don't think there'll be much to learn for the rest of the competition.
Yea by now we all know what team Deschamps is gonna field in the next round anyway. The only player who might actually play for something here is Coman, but I think Deschamps prefers Dembélé at this point even though Coman used to be in front of him in the pecking order.

antk

Yea by now we all know what team Deschamps is gonna field in the next round anyway. The only player who might actually play for something here is Coman, but I think Deschamps prefers Dembélé at this point even though Coman used to be in front of him in the pecking order.
Well there's also the matter of subs. A good performance by Fofana or Guendouzi could see either be the first to come in in a later game, or on the contrary even have Camavinga or god forbid Veretout be considered before them if they're dreadful today.

In the same vein, there may be a small Thuram / Kolo Muani competition for a sub spot, even if Thuram has had a significant head start in this squad.

Mike Smalling

Braithwaite starting. I guess when both Dolberg and Cornelius have put up stinkers, it makes sense to try something new, and he is certainly more nimble than the alternatives. Unfortunately he is also shit.

I hope that Lindstrøm and Skov Olsen can create something to score in the first half.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Well there's also the matter of subs. A good performance by Fofana or Guendouzi could see either be the first to come in in a later game, or on the contrary even have Camavinga or god forbid Veretout be considered before them if they're dreadful today.

In the same vein, there may be a small Thuram / Kolo Muani competition for a sub spot, even if Thuram has had a significant head start in this squad.
Yea absolutely, Konaté and Coman are the 2 bench players who are borderline starters, the rest is totally up in the air, all the substitute spots are up for grabs. It's a world cup, and most of them are inexperienced at the international level, they're still gonna play hard to show they belong (that's what I hope).

antk

Actual french XI today. Thuram out, Guendouzi up front, Veretout in.
This is awful haha.

JPRouve

Scout
Deschamps found some booze in Qatar? :lol:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Actual french XI today. Thuram out, Guendouzi up front, Veretout in.
This is awful haha.
Weird lineup haha, Thuram must have got a knock or something. We've played 2 MFs in important games against bigger teams and now we face Tunisia with nothing to play he goes with 4 :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Weird lineup haha, Thuram must have got a knock or something. We've played 2 MFs in important games against bigger teams and now we face Tunisia with nothing to play he goes with 4 :lol:
Hopefully it's a sanction for his game against Denmark.

antk

Don't expect much offensively from this wild Disasi Fofana Guendouzi right side. Tunisians can't believe their luck right now.

JPRouve

Scout
Don't expect much offensively from this wild Disasi Fofana Guendouzi right side. Tunisians can't believe their luck right now.
To be fair, it is a Deschamps special. France always win the first 2 games with Deschamps and they also offer a terrible third game with bench players.

island

Supports
Chelsea
I give up watching the Denmark game, I'd rather watch France's b team, at the same time I say that today France can take one more step to be super favorite for the final victory.
Amazing after so many setbacks, but I think the group is stronger, even without the best footballer of all time and the most loving being in the galaxy.

Let someone dedicate a victory to Kanté.

Lyng

Disappointed to see that France lineup but also makes sense. No reason to take any chance and risk injuries.
Still hope we get a win and this France side should still, at the very least, get a draw.

Irwin99

Oh you mutha f....why are you risking Varane in a meaningless game? :mad: :mad: :mad:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A Tunisia lead in the second half against this rotated French team makes the group really spicy. Tunisia winning 2-1 and Denmark 1-0 would have it going down to fair play points (currently tied) and then a coin flip.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Oh you mutha f....why are you risking Varane in a meaningless game? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Because he needs playing time to be match fit for the next rounds, he only played 75mins of football over the past month.

Mihai

Tchouameni midfielders, trying to keep everyone match fit and give them game time.

Irwin99

Because he needs playing time to be match fit for the next rounds, he only played 75mins of football over the past month.
Well he better be fully recovered from that injury. I'd hate to see it go again in a match of no importance to the French.

marktan

This Denmark manager is a bit crap, playing Skov Olsen out wide who looked Championship level in his last outing, and also Lindstrum who didn't really do anything. Surely it has to be Poulsen and Damsgaard? One plays or Liepzing in the CL, the other at least can create things

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Well he better be fully recovered from that injury. I'd hate to see it go again in a match of no importance to the French.
I trust the staff knows what they're doing, he's as important for us France as he is for you guys, we need him healthy for the rest of the competition.