Day 11: Belgium vs. Russia

nazanto

Hazard look great for the last 10-15 minutes. Maybe because the Russian players were tired already? Look all the space that Hazard got.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Hazard is boss, when he's in full flow only Messi and Robben can rival him.

bebo

Not many teams will play like algeria or russia though.I still think its belgium's game plan to save them for final minutes then explode.If they have the space they will torment many teams.And rumours suggest hazard not fully fit and carrying little injury.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Robben in full flow cannot be rivaled.
Well he can, Messi in full flow pisses all over everyone else. I'd say Hazard has probably trumped Robben when he was playing for us, and as much as he's improved, Robben in 04/05 for about three months was fekkin ridiculous. Amazingly, he's not as quick as he was back then either.

TheMuffer

Hazard look great for the last 10-15 minutes. Maybe because the Russian players were tired already? Look all the space that Hazard got.
thats what happens when you have a decent striker making space for him to work off

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard is facing double teams on every touch, isn't given the license to roam and has no fullback overlapping on his side. Tough to blame him for Wilmots' negative tactics.

Despite that he's still won them two games in a row. Messi-esque.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No! No more Clarence or Thierry! Gutted.
I don't think Henry actually offers that much insight but he brings something to the studio that the BBC and ITV have been desperately for for years - effortless humour and lightheartedness. And obviously he's more insightful than Shearer.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Belgium have the talent they just need a better manager. Wilmots is far too negative. They better bin him before the Euros, can't waste these group of players.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Hazard is facing double teams on every touch, isn't given the license to roam and has no fullback overlapping on his side. Tough to blame him for Wilmots' negative tactics.

Not quite. Tore Russia to shreds in the final third of this match, but anonymous in the last game.

Dylan94

Yeah, they've easily been the best pundits so far. I didn't know Henry was still playing :nervous:
Yeah I agree. And yeah I knew he was but I didn't know that the MLS season started in June.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Well he can, Messi in full flow pisses all over everyone else. I'd say Hazard has probably trumped Robben when he was playing for us, and as much as he's improved, Robben in 04/05 for about three months was fekkin ridiculous. Amazingly, he's not as quick as he was back then either.
I read that full flow to mean pace, which Robben is quicker than Messi. Although Bale probably blows both of them away.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Nah, dribbling with the ball at pace and beating players for fun. Neither Bale or Ronaldo have that, they're punt and run players (though effective, just not against well drilled sides).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Are Russia out? Capello is one of the most boring managers around. Hope they don't make it out of the group.

stu_1992

That was a poor game in all honesty, nothing much exciting at all until Hazard decided to show up and give the game a bit of spark and class towards the end. They can thank him for that victory. Seemed perfectly set up for Januzaj to come on, disappointed to not see him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If Hazard received instructions to just run at players and attack relentlessly he'd be just about unstoppable. Unlike Robben, he actually has more than one trick in his locker.

Just like with Chelsea this past season, he looked amazing at times and had a great season whilst being double or triple marked and having no LB to overlap and play off of. This is why I fear to see him with one of the best LB's in the world Luis on that side with him.

Eriksen

Are Russia out? Capello is one of the most boring managers around. Hope they don't make it out of the group.
Nah. They can still go through if they win their last game, although if South Korea beat Algeria then they will both be on equal points and it'll go down to goal difference.

Orni

Belgium have the talent they just need a better manager. Wilmots is far too negative. They better bin him before the Euros, can't waste these group of players.
I would not say negative, but conservative. Let's be honest, he's neither a good tactician, nor a good manager, but he's idolized by many people in Belgium and a general concensus is that we do not need a good manager, but more a mentor who can inject motivation, desire and never-say-die attitude to young imexperimented and sometimes arrogant payers.For these reasons, and many others, he is for now the right person. And the results are there to prove him right.a

Reactions: Theon

OoopsMisclick

Rather obvious our manager isnt the best around. Give this squad for the european championship and we'll go far. However, belgium doesnt need a good manager. We need someone who unites the flemish and french speaking and gets the crowd behind him. The belgian FA and their marketing machine did a wonderful job, never has belgium been so widely supported. Eventhough i often get annoyed by the "success"supporters, it adds something.

matecro007

This. I might add he has improve defensive skills(going back to defence).

Still think he is world class player.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Wilmots is the right man in the right place for Belgium at the moment. A strong motivator who unites both sides of the country, a thing that no manager could do in the past. Our three goals came from three subs, and Wilmots left two of the best strikers in our domestic competition at home for the relatively unknown Origi: it's already paying off. I'm not saying Wilmots is a genius or a tactical mastermind, he still needs to learn a lot, but he's a perfect fit for this Belgium.

All that aside, very poor game from Belgium, but you only need that one flash of brilliance from Hazard to win the game, kind of similar to Messi with Argentina yesterday. I'm still fairly confident we'll do better against better sides like Germany, anything can happen in the knock-out stages, and we have the best keeper in the tournament imo.

El-Manos

They would thrive under the guidance of a decent manager I reckon, at times during the qualifying campaign they showed pure class, they haven't presented that in the world cup yet though unfortunately. But look at it this way, they still win even though they are playing well below their capacity.

Ainu

At all my fellow countrymen arguing we don't need a good tactical manager but a motivator: I strongly disagree. We simply need both. Wilmots might be a strong motivator and he is rightly idolized by many for his work ethic as a player, but as a tactician I fear he's just not good enough. He's set up our team to provide a very defensive platform for the attacking players, but there's no actual game plan in attack. We're just hoping for some magic, either by De Bruyne or Hazard or Mertens or whoever else is playing there. Movement and attacking runs are virtually non-existent. Against teams like Algeria and Russia the individual talent up front is enough to get us through, but against teams that are more than just the sum of their parts, like Germany or Chile, that's not going to be enough. I hope Wilmots can improve in that area, but if he can't, we need to find someone else. Because this generation is capable of more than that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Sorry yes Messi in full flow beats him. But as an out and out Winger I'd have Robben over Hazard at full flow. Hazard looks a real intelligent aswell as tricky player and is still young.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
At all my fellow countrymen arguing we don't need a good tactical manager but a motivator: I strongly disagree. We simply need both. Wilmots might be a strong motivator and he is rightly idolized by many for his work ethic as a player, but as a tactician I fear he's just not good enough. He's set up our team to provide a very defensive platform for the attacking players, but there's no actual game plan in attack. We're just hoping for some magic, either by De Bruyne or Hazard or Mertens or whoever else is playing there. Movement and attacking runs are virtually non-existent. Against teams like Algeria and Russia the individual talent up front is enough to get us through, but against teams that are more than just the sum of their parts, like Germany or Chile, that's not going to be enough. I hope Wilmots can improve in that area, but if he can't, we need to find someone else. Because this generation is capable of more than that.
Jesus, be happy, man. You've just qualified for the second round. Good thing you're not a spaniard! :lol:

I suspect your lot will get past the USA pretty easy in the next round aswell. After that it'll be a lottery, Belgium are capable of beating many teams on their day. This match might have been dire but they looked pretty organised to me, didn't give too many chances away.

Ainu

Jesus, be happy, man. You've just qualified for the second round. Good thing you're not a spaniard! :lol:

I suspect your lot will get past the USA pretty easy in the next round aswell. After that it'll be a lottery, Belgium are capable of beating many teams on their day. This match might have been dire but they looked pretty organised to me, didn't give too many chances away.
I watched the game among a few thousand others on a big screen and partied and screamed as much as anyone when we scored the winner. I'm delighted by how things are going. I'm just giving my opinion on what others are saying. There's always room for improvement and that's what we should aim for.

OoopsMisclick

FYI (since i don't have posting rights).

Wilmots said courtois is going back to chelsea and that Cech will be sold if the opportunity arises. Wilmots didn't notice the camera's were rolling.