Day 12: Uruguay vs Russia, Saudi Arabia vs Egypt, Spain v Morocco and Iran vs Portugal

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A mixture of big teams and small nations with loud fans is perfect.
I guess so. I am all for the less fancied nations if they play well and deserve to win, like Mexico and Croatia, but not if they are a bit shite and squeeze out results. Not hoping to see Australia qualify, for example. Iran and Morocco were plucky and even quite good in phases (Morocco tonight especially) but don't want to see them again. Japan have done alright but Colombia and Senegal play better football, I hope they qualify. Etc.

Mind you, Argentina, as of now, deserve to go home. If they do go through I hope it is because Messi does something godlike against Nigeria.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
No chance for Portugal to go far. Poor selection by Mendes, i mean, Santos. Midfield is too slow. Starting with Adrien, João Mário, Quaresma, André Silva, William and Cedric? There's no balance whatsoever. There must be players stretching the field. Ricardo as RB would have worked better I'm sure. Or Gelson/Guedes in attack. There isn't cover for William in the DM position and i'm not sure he will be fully recovered next match against Uruguay.

About the other teams, I was really impressed with this group. Spain looks shaky most likely due to Lopetegui leaving right before but the core principles are there and if they fix their positioning they can go far but it will be hard to do so with most training being dedicated to player recovery. Morocco played the best football. Spirited with lots of movement and attacking intent. A team that deserved far more. Iran, well, never thought you could do so much with so little individual stardom. Played as unit with great passion, desire, discipline and focus. I'm sure Iranians are proud as they were a great team, not only defending but also quite clinical in the counter.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No chance for Portugal to go far. Poor selection by Mendes, i mean, Santos. Midfield is too slow. Starting with Adrien, João Mário, Quaresma, André Silva, William and Cedric? There's no balance whatsoever. There must be players stretching the field. Ricardo as RB would have worked better I'm sure. Or Gelson/Guedes in attack. There isn't cover for William in the DM position and i'm not sure he will be fully recovered next match against Uruguay.

About the other teams, I was really impressed with this group. Spain looks shaky most likely due to Lopetegui leaving right before but the core principles are there and if they fix their positioning they can go far but it will be hard to do so with most training being dedicated to player recovery. Morocco played the best football. Spirited with lots of movement and attacking intent. A team that deserved far more. Iran, well, never thought you could do so much with so little individual stardom. Played as unit with great passion, desire, discipline and focus. I'm sure Iranians are proud as they were a great team, not only defending but also quite clinical in the counter.
We did our job, which was to get out of the group stage, a lot of players on bad shape, agree with you regarding the other teams, mainly Morocco, totally fake classification. God how I still hate Queiroz, even with the good job he has done with Iran. :lol:

Theodore

Supports
Liverpool, PAOK
That’s how it will go. I think 2020 is the maximum amount of time he should stay. I’m hoping he does a Zidane and leaves while on top, I don’t think he’ll ever get fired.
Why do Portuguese people hate on Santos and hoping he leaves? I see no obvious reason for it.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
We did our job, which was to get out of the group stage, a lot of players on bad shape, agree with you regarding the other teams, mainly Morocco, totally fake classification. God how I still hate Queiroz, even with the good job he has done with Iran. :lol:
Our job sure but pound per pound we were clear favourites to go through after Spain.

Morocco and much less Iran can have players like Bernardo Silva, Gelson, Ricardo, Moutinho, etc sitting on the bench. Realistically we should be playing better. If we watch the game we can see the team can barely construct a good attack. It's slow, predictive football. But can't complain much, quite a few top teams are actually playing worse.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are you really that Ronaldo obsessed? He intentionally elbowed him and the referee bottled it.

Do yourself a favour and have a night off, sad.
Except for the fact the ref and most pundits don't agree with you and somehow I'm the one obsessed? :lol:

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
I wonder how long Hierro lets De Gea start. It seems like he has caught some serious Kariusitis. 1 save - 4 conceded in this WC. Very, very nervous. If I were Hierro I would be sweating bad. And who would have thought GK was the one thing Spain needed to worry about. But seriously Spain might really drop DDG. They can't really afford another scare in this WC.

Anyone worried David is going to bring his current form to United next season? I take too much delight of that thought, but he's going to revert to type isn't he once the WC is over.

On the other hand Neuer has been a class act. You wouldn't know he has come back from a year long hiatus.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The fact that people genuinely think a) Ronaldo elbowed the bloke in the face and b) It should have been a red card is both a) Absolutely baffling and b) Hilarious :lol:

Schneckerl

There is a poll with 70k votes on bild.de (yeah.. it's like the German Sun) asking whether Ronaldo deserved a red card or not. The result is 49% yes and 51% no.

Personally I think it was nothing (he did NOT elbow him, barely touched him - Iranian player heavily embellished) and hate it when red cards are given for situations like that.

I think it's still interesting that people can be so evenly split on a decision.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Except for the fact the ref and most pundits don't agree with you and somehow I'm the one obsessed? :lol:
You've replied to this ONE DAY thread like 150 times for a nation you only follow because your favourite player is in there... Its sad.

And are you saying that if pundits (wrong on almost everything) say its not a red, its not a red? Remember when fellaini scraped wilshere (Aguero?) with his head and was sent off? Contact was minimal but the action warranted the red.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
@Jim Beam those teams between 2000 until 2010 had more individual quality than this 1, and for years we played on a classic 4/3/3 while under this manager we switched to a 4/4/2 to maximise Cristiano.

I don't celebrate because we had to qualify, but I warned we would struggle on this group, I still keep my opinion Morocco is better than Iran, but Queiroz knows how to work defensively a team.

We only conceded a offside goal in 2010 vs Spain on the last 16 under him.
Definitely more individual quality. You also looked more cohesive and 'easier on the eye' during that period imo. Is the type of football you are producing now exclusively result of that drop in individual quality or it has to do also with the tactics is a different question, but Portugal doesn't seem like the team it once was in terms of playing style (from the entertaining point of view especially).

On the other hand, you just refuse to lose and this is when you count Euro 2016 your 10th match in the row you didn't get beaten at the major tournament which is a fantastic achievement, so it is really hard to point or blame tactics in that sense. Wouldn't bet a dime in Uruguay getting past you despite their firepower upfront and great defence.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The fact that people genuinely think a) Ronaldo elbowed the bloke in the face and b) It should have been a red card is both a) Absolutely baffling and b) Hilarious :lol:
He did elbow him while trying to get past him. Didn't get a yellow for nothing. Also, the ball was already in keepers hand btw.

Wouldn't personally give a red for that, thought that yellow is a fair decision, but it isn't such a ridiculous claim as you make it out.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You've replied to this ONE DAY thread like 150 times for a nation you only follow because your favourite player is in there... Its sad.

And are you saying that if pundits (wrong on almost everything) say its not a red, its not a red? Remember when fellaini scraped wilshere (Aguero?) with his head and was sent off? Contact was minimal but the action warranted the red.
I've replied 39 times (40 including this one) so not even 30% of your gross exaggeration. Hong Kong will never make the WC, so unless you think only people from countries who have qualified should follow the WC, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

As for pundits, they may well be often wrong, but most of them happen to be former professionals who would have a better idea on what constitutes violent conduct than your average armchair critic.

SteveTheRed

I wonder how long Hierro lets De Gea start. It seems like he has caught some serious Kariusitis. 1 save - 4 conceded in this WC. Very, very nervous. If I were Hierro I would be sweating bad. And who would have thought GK was the one thing Spain needed to worry about. But seriously Spain might really drop DDG. They can't really afford another scare in this WC.

Anyone worried David is going to bring his current form to United next season? I take too much delight of that thought, but he's going to revert to type isn't he once the WC is over.

On the other hand Neuer has been a class act. You wouldn't know he has come back from a year long hiatus.
I don' think they need to worry , he blocked a 1v1 doing exactly the same as the one he let in last night. The header would have beaten any keeper.

I think the only mistake is the Ronaldo 2nd goal in the Spain game.

No worry that he will bring bad form back to United, we love him at Old Trafford. He seemed under huge pressure with Spain as their fans are so fickle! They probably hate him for turning down Madrid.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don' think they need to worry , he blocked a 1v1 doing exactly the same as the one he let in last night. The header would have beaten any keeper.

I think the only mistake is the Ronaldo 2nd goal in the Spain game.

No worry that he will bring bad form back to United, we love him at Old Trafford. He seemed under huge pressure with Spain as their fans are so fickle! They probably hate him for turning down Madrid.
I think the feeling is unanimous regardless of the team supported

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Our job sure but pound per pound we were clear favourites to go through after Spain.

Morocco and much less Iran can have players like Bernardo Silva, Gelson, Ricardo, Moutinho, etc sitting on the bench. Realistically we should be playing better. If we watch the game we can see the team can barely construct a good attack. It's slow, predictive football. But can't complain much, quite a few top teams are actually playing worse.
Unfortunately the majority of the people only look at results, but I agree with you we should play better, and that will not happen while Santos is there until 2020.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

4 of the 5 goals DDG has conceded
- CR7 FK
- CR7 penalty
- 1v1 very difficult to stop
- bullet header in the corner

He made one huge mistake.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Definitely more individual quality. You also looked more cohesive and 'easier on the eye' during that period imo. Is the type of football you are producing now exclusively result of that drop in individual quality or it has to do also with the tactics is a different question, but Portugal doesn't seem like the team it once was in terms of playing style (from the entertaining point of view especially).
Individual quality has its part but imo since Santos took over this team and changed the formation we are more cynical, speculative and less risky, play it safe mentality, there is no difference in the way we play and the Greek team he managed between 2010 and 2014, reason why I never wanted him in the first place.

Tbf with him he always delivers minimal results, with Greece he qualified them for Euro 2012 and WC 2014 and always advanced from the group stages, same thing with us, we are now in the third tournament with him (if we count the Confederations Cup) and he always manages to avoid being eliminated on the group stages.

On the other hand, you just refuse to lose and this is when you count Euro 2016 your 10th match in the row you didn't get beaten at the major tournament which is a fantastic achievement, so it is really hard to point or blame tactics in that sense. Wouldn't bet a dime in Uruguay getting past you despite their firepower upfront and great defence.
Yup with him in these 3 tournaments we don't win many games but the only competitive match he lost with us as far I can remember was in Switzerland during the qualifiers to the WC, 120 minutes with Chile and only lost on penaltys, but he has to change the team for Saturday to compete against a good Uruguay.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
4 of the 5 goals DDG has conceded
- CR7 FK
- CR7 penalty
- 1v1 very difficult to stop
- bullet header in the corner

He made one huge mistake.
I agree, but his body language has been anything but reassuring. The situation is made worse that whole Spanish defense has been wobbly for the entire WC case in point the Iniesta/Ramos cock-up yesterday. Only some very last ditch tackles too have spared De Gea from more work. Not a solid unit.

But my point is that Dave has not been cool as cucumber in these WC. Maybe the pressure is really showing. Maybe give the second keeper a chance, but I doubt it Hierro has the cojones to do it.

I want some United fan perspective for this scenario:

How would you view DDG if it had been him in the Karius' shoes in CL final? Would you have lost faith in him and demand a new keeper this summer or would it been more like "meh, these happen even to the best"?

My personal view would probably be that DDG is so established already that even the blunders like that would not derail his career that much. Like when DDG now blundered vs Ronnie I still view him a world class goalie who had a weird off-day. Every goalie makes mistakes, even Neuer and Allison wasn't spectacular vs Pool at all. 11 goals conceded in 2 matches is not going to win you golden gloves, but people still (myself included) still rate him.

Phil

Just to add, how the feck is Aspas getting into the Spain team?