Day 13: Slovakia vs Spain | Sweden vs Poland | Portugal vs France | Germany vs Hungary

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
100% penalty. He was obviously going for the ball, but just as when a defender is unintentionally late in a tackle, the goalkeeper should equally be punished for being late there too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lloris begging the ref to look at VAR. I hope he looks and upgrades it to a red.

No Love

Huh, turns out you can’t punch someone in the face and get away with it. Who knew?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Why is anyone arguing? That's one so many keepers get away with for no reason.

He basically elbowed him in the face, regardless of if the ball skimmed his fingers.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Jesus I’m surprised so many think that was a pen

Keeper comes to punch the ball out, it’s a standard clearance and unfortunate for the player

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The difference in body language between Ronaldo and Lloris then was fascinating

Zen86

Difficult, but a fair penalty I’d say. Keepers shouldn’t be untouchable when their fists go flying.

kidbob

I think firstly it’s hard for me to agree that Germany are any better at controlling a game then this France team. Spain, yeah, but they’re in a different kettle of fish altogether in terms of possession based football. Secondly, if it really became a shootout, the quality of attackers in this French team would outscore us.

And anyway I don’t think the game would be end to end anyway.
I'm basing that off the fact that Germany pretty comfortably controlled the possession against France and Portugal. However maybe Germany are better than people think, even if they are looking like going out!

acnumber9

Keeper comes to punch the ball out, it’s a standard clearance and unfortunate for the player
Yeah, but once you miss then it’s a foul. You can’t try to kick the ball, miss it and get away with hitting the attacker.

Nick7

He punched a head instead of the ball though. That shouldn’t be allowed.

the penalty in the Spain game earlier was because the defender tried to kick the ball. Trying doesn’t absolve you of the consequences.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Why should a GK be allowed to smash someone's face with his elbow? It makes no sense. Absolutely 100% right decision.

the_answer

This Danilo guy from Portugal.... best dm I have seen in the Euros so far.
Sublime vs Hungary.

Throw a moneybag at him and we might really get what we need to win a trophy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s a ridiculous decision. Lloris got the ball first.
That's irrelevant, it's a foul and a bad one. You can't punch an opponent whether you have the ball or not.