Day 13: Slovakia vs Spain | Sweden vs Poland | Portugal vs France | Germany vs Hungary

bosskeano

Yep who ever win the match england vs germany relatively easier draw to goto finals.
nothing will be relatively easy but they certainly have the more ideal path to the finals as the other side is loaded with top teams

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
3rd should go home? That's your worst problem with the tournament format when Portugal, France and Germany can be drawn in the same group with two of the 4 teams in the group having home advantage?

Really?

The games don't play out the same way if the third placed team doesn't go through either. Pretending the results would be the same if the rules were different doesn't make sense.
Yes, it should. This format is abysmal to me. I don't like the multisite scheme either. I prefer one country (or 2 neighboring ones).

They can be drawn in the same group because only qualifier results are taking into account. You might like it or not but you cannot say that it is unfair.

I think that it is much better to play against good teams in the group stage with this system, as you don't even need to win any of them to go through (as you did). However, England was first and now they have to beat a team of that group or they are out. I give you that the draw wasn't lucky either because you face the 1st of England and Belgium groups, while Spain (my team) is playing a 2nd seed after being 2nd in the group. I find this very unfair too. It is not about teams, it is about the format itself.

rhajdu

This night was incredible. Obviously I am disappointed right now, but extremely proud at the same time. We drew against France and Germany and almost held on Portugal too. Who knows what happens if our best attacker and best attacking midfielder is not injured for the tournament! Hopefully we'll even better next time.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This night was incredible. Obviously I am disappointed right now, but extremely proud at the same time. We drew against France and Germany and almost held on Portugal too. Who knows what happens if our best attacker and best attacking midfielder is not injured for the tournament! Hopefully we'll even better next time.
Kudos, mate. Very impressed!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
So far I see absolutely no reason as to why either Germany or England should beat Holland. The group stages should have been humbling to both.
Easier compared to other side.Knowing england any game is not easy though.

Gonçalo Motta

Probably the team that impressed me the most in this tournament tbh.

bosskeano

England haven't knocked out Germany from a major event in 50 years....they clearly didn't want to face the Germans even if it is at Wembley

The pressure will be on England to win the match and i think after how poorly Germany played today, you can expect there will be some backlash in Germany.

Siorac

Really feel for the Hungary players but can't deny I feel a bit Schadenfreude towards Orban and the hungarian government.
I'm Hungarian and it's my consolation prize tonight: at least Orbán is every bit as gutted as I am.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Superb tournament for Hungary. If it wasn't the group of death I think you could have a go at semis. The integrity inside your international team is clearly visible on the pitch.

kidbob

And Bruno played like Lingard in Portugal's shirt.
Exactly at United Ole knows exactly how to play him but at Portugal his manager has no clue. Bruno isn't Messi or Ronaldo, he is a very good player that United system makes the best of. There are so many players that Pep will leave behind in that City squad that are actually only good rather than great.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Exactly at United Ole knows exactly how to play him but at Portugal his manager has no clue. Bruno isn't Messi or Ronaldo, he is a very good player that United system makes the best of. There are so many players that Pep will leave behind in that City squad that are actually only good rather than great.
Could be just NT only gathered once a while. It's pretty hard to gel with teammates.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Spain vs france will be tasty. One team will do quick counters, other build up very well to make chance. La Porte switching nationality will add bit more drama to the game. Italy Spain created most chances in the tournament.Tough fight for france there.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
United built the team around him to maximise his talent. It's like why mata not played well for united but at chelsea.

Chelsea team built around mata to maximise his ability which Mourinho ripped off and forced him to leave.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yes, it should. This format is abysmal to me. I don't like the multisite scheme either. I prefer one country (or 2 neighboring ones).

They can be drawn in the same group because only qualifier results are taking into account. You might like it or not but you cannot say that it is unfair.
Oh yes I can. The criteria for the seeding in this tournament was a complete disaster and it's the biggest problem about it along with the home advantage for multiple teams.

If the third placed team didn't go through then it would have been a huge injustice to have Germany, France, Portugal and Hungary in the same group with two of them getting knocked out. If anything that rule brings fairness to it when you feck up the seedings this badly.

I know you don't care about fairness and are still upset we won the Euros but still, it's the truth. They'll agree and change the seeding criteria for sure too for the next Euros. Hungary and Belgium deserved a lot better for their performances and results.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Ukraine.
Pot 2: France, Poland, Switzerland, Croatia, the Netherlands and Russia.
Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden and the Czech Republic.
Pot 4: Wales, Finland and the four play-off winners

The four pots for the Euros draw. I think everyone agrees it was bullshit

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
You did your country proud. Stood up to germans with al this political bollocks before the game. Very unfortunate against Portugal and a fantastic draw against France. Hungary <3

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Oh yes I can. The criteria for the seeding in this tournament was a complete disaster and it's the biggest problem about it along with the home advantage for multiple teams.

If the third placed team didn't go through then it would have been a huge injustice to have Germany, France, Portugal and Hungary in the same group with two of them getting knocked out. If anything that rule brings fairness to it when you feck up the seedings this badly.

I know you don't care about fairness and are still upset we won the Euros but still, it's the truth. They'll agree and change the seeding criteria for sure too for the next Euros. Hungary and Belgium deserved a lot better for their performances and results.
The criteria was purely based on performance in the qualifiers stage. You lost. Ukraine won.

You seem to think to know many things... that you actually don't. This is my comment weeks ago about the format:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/which-format-do-you-prefer.463411/page-2#post-27351637

16 teams
1 country (or 2 neighbor countries)

This EURO, both the ridiculous number of teams and playing thousands of miles away killing the atmosphere is absolutely horrific from my point of view.
Exactly the same I said here. If you are going to be happier thinking that I'm upset about something good for you, but that's not the reality. And you can take a look to that theme and you will see that the vast majority of people think exactly as I do.

By the way, now that you talk about 2016 (which has nothing to do with this) and you say that it is fair that the 3rd goes to the next round because you consider that there are too many good teams together.
Was it fair to go through also when you played against Iceland, Austria and Hungary back them? So many superteams in the same group deserved 3 spots too?

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Ukraine.
Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

The four pots for the Euros draw. I think everyone agrees it was bullshit
Ukraine was in Pot 1 because won your qualifier group. They got 3 points more than you. If they are better than you in the qualifiers, I expect them to be in a higher pot, for sure. What's unfair about it? Do you think that your shirt is worthy more than theirs even if they beat you in the qualifiers?

If you had managed to win over Ukraine it would have been like this:

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Pot 3: Ukraine, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Would this be bullshit? or the problem is that you wanted a spot that you didn't earn in the field just because you know... you are Portugal!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't see England beating Germany but it'll be interesting to see how Southgate approaches it.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The criteria was purely based on performance in the qualifiers stage. You lost. Ukraine won.

You seem to think to know many things... that you actually don't. This is my comment weeks ago about the format:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/which-format-do-you-prefer.463411/page-2#post-27351637

Exactly the same I said here. If you are going to be happier thinking that I'm upset about something good for you, but that's not the reality. And you can take a look to that theme and you will see that the vast majority of people think exactly as I do.

By the way, now that you talk about 2016 (which has nothing to do with this) and you say that it is fair that the 3rd goes to the next round because you consider that there are too many good teams together.
Was it fair to go through also when you played against Iceland, Austria and Hungary back them? So many superteams in the same group deserved 3 spots too?

Ukraine was in Pot 1 because won your qualifier group. They got 3 points more than you. If they are better than you in the qualifiers, I expect them to be in a higher pot, for sure. What's unfair about it? Do you think that your shirt is worthy more than theirs even if they beat you in the qualifiers?

If you had managed to win over Ukraine it would have been like this:

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Pot 3: Ukraine, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Would this be bullshit? or the problem is that you wanted a spot that you didn't earn in the field just because you know... you are Portugal!
We didn't deserve to be seeded ahead of Ukraine because we're Portugal and they're Ukraine. We deserved to be better seeded because we're a better football team that's had better results than them. We won the Euros, got to the WC knockouts and won the Nations League yet we're in pot 3 for the Euros because we lost one game in qualifying... I mean, come on...

How is it fair to make the seeding based on that? Qualifying is 10 games against randomly selected opponents, how would that give any idea of who the better teams are in order to be seeded and how would you ever be able to compare the teams from one group to the next?

There has never been seedings based on such a low sample of games for any tournament in football history.

Anyway, I'm sorry but it's obvious you're making that argument because you're upset about past Euros results rather than what's fair or not, everyone should agree that this seeding system is a terrible idea.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We didn't deserve to be seeded ahead of Ukraine because we're Portugal and they're Ukraine. We deserved to be better seeded because we're a better football team that's had better results than them. We won the Euros, got to the WC knockouts and won the Nations League yet we're in pot 3 for the Euros because we lost one game in qualifying... I mean, come on...

How is it fair to make the seeding based on that? Qualifying is 10 games against randomly selected opponents, how would that give any idea of who the better teams are in order to be seeded and how would you ever be able to compare the teams from one group to the next?

There has never been seedings based on such a low sample of games for any tournament in football history.

Anyway, I'm sorry but it's obvious you're making that argument because you're upset about past Euros results rather than what's fair or not, everyone should agree that this seeding system is a terrible idea.
If Santos did his job properly during 180 minutes against Ukraine we wouldn't have this conversation in the first place. Why are we discussing the fairness or unfairness of the tournament, some teams having more home advantage than others? But I will repeat the same question again to you. Did Fernando Gomes voted against this model of tournament or no?

On a serious note, Sunday we have less 2 days to recover, now this for me is really unfair, ok one could say you finish third you get it, but still, even worse, if for same reason we would go to the QF (won't happen) we would have less 1 day to recover probably against Italy. Some things need to be reviewed, of course one could say maybe it's an incentive to avoid the third place... but finishing third in this group needed to be avoided if we wanted to go further, as things are not even QF look plausible this time. :devil:

And somehow Santos will remain untill 2024.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
United built the team around him to maximise his talent. It's like why mata not played well for united but at chelsea.

Chelsea team built around mata to maximise his ability which Mourinho ripped off and forced him to leave.
It's nothing new or rocket science that good players at club level struggle at NT level, you just laugh if you read some comments by German posters regarding Sane, Kroos, Gundogan (don't know how Sane plays for Bayern though). But it's true Santos seems unable to make him and Bernardo Silva able to play together. I mean, Jadon Sanch also seems unable to play for England, this isn't club football, end of season tournament, so on.

FatTails

What an incredible day of games all around. Great goals, high quality football by several of the sides involved, and all the best teams went through which will make for an exciting knockout stage. Hungary going out in such a gut wrenching way was the cherry on top.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Euro 2016 last 16 draw
Wales vs Denmark, June 26, Amsterdam
Italy vs Austria, June 26, London
Netherlands vs Czech Republic, June 27, Budapest
Belgium vs Portugal, June 27, Seville
Croatia vs Spain, June 28, Copenhagen
France vs Switzerland, June 28, Bucharest
England vs Germany, June 29, London
Sweden vs Ukraine, June 29, Glasgow
2016?

croadyman

I don't see England beating Germany but it'll be interesting to see how Southgate approaches it.
Damn why couldn't France & Hungary both just held on to their leads in the second half then the old foe ends up going home and I wouldn't have to worry about them breaking our nations hearts yet again in a knockout game.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Damn why couldn't France & Hungary both just held on to their leads in the second half then the old foe ends up going home and I wouldn't have to worry about them breaking our nations hearts yet again in a knockout game.
As long as it ain't fecking penalties again

croadyman

As long as it ain't fecking penalties again
Yeah I was too young to remember Italia 90 but certainly felt the agony of Euro 96 as an 11 year old, then as a fully grown adult when Lampard's goal which was way over the line wasn't given in 2010. I don't bother to count that Euro 2000 game as we both went out at the group stage anyway which was totally mental.

Siorac

If both France and Hungary had held on, Germany would have gone through in third place. Though England would have avoided them, that's true.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Lower pic: Goretzka's heinous gayification attack on the hungarian ultras after his goal
:lol:

croadyman

If both France and Hungary had held on, Germany would have gone through in third place. Though England would have avoided them, that's true.
Yeah actually your right it would have put Germany on the other side of the draw against Belgium and the holders out, then couldn't have played them until the final and that was going to involve them having to beat some big guns to get there anyway

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Certainly surprised lots of people and the team deserves nothint but praise.

But I still have an immense dislike of your government.

rhajdu

Certainly surprised lots of people and the team deserves nothint but praise.

But I still have an immense dislike of your government.
You are not alone. :) Fortunately, I have positive experience so far as the people can differentiate between the Government of Hungary and the Hungarian citizens.

I also would like to thank everyone who quoted me, I appreciate it.

Hammondo

Hungary fought really hard and almost completely stopped France, made them look nothing special.

lex talionis

Strange? They always do. There is literally no great international team right now. Funny how people called Spain (08-12) boring when that team would walk this competition while every other 'big' team would park the bus and hold on for dear life. France need a proper manager, as do England and they would be by far the best. Its bad when Italy are the bastions of attacking football so far.
France looked far better than this in the last World Cup, did they not?