g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 14: Mexico vs Sweden, South Korea vs Germany, Serbia vs Brazil, Switzerland vs Costa Rica

podurban2

So fecking nervous. I have a ticket to the Germany vs South Korea match but seems like I can only watch the last 10 minutes and that is a big if. I am at the Moscow airport now. Just landed from a 24 hour flight from Rostov. I landed in Rostov yesterday for just 4 hours to just watch the Iceland vs Croatia match and soon as the match ended, I had to rush back to the airport to get on a 24 hour flight to Kazan where I am on transit now in Moscow. I ended up shelling an additional €1,100 for the flight ticket, so stupid and I will only arrive in Kazan at 5:50 PM here and the match kicked off at 5 PM. Hopefully Germany is leading comfortably when I arrive and I can still enter the stadium.
Poor soul :lol:

serxyo

Just like Croatia won over Argentina I expect Serbia to win against Brazil. Hard battle with a lot of cards and Serbia to win it with long balls.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
At least you're rich!
Trust me I am far from rich. I took a year of sabbatical from my job to travel and saved up 6 months for this World Cup. I love football and Germany so I would do anything to watch Die Mannschaft live. I thought I was smart by getting the cheapest tickets for Croatia vs Iceland at just $70 USD and Japan vs Poland at $50 USD but it is a nightmare travelling in Russia. I was in Saint Petersburg and initially my plan is to attend the Argentina vs Nigeria game as it is my dream to see Messi live as I am sure its the pinnacle of all football fans but the tickets were too expensive. Even the cheapest was selling at over $1,100 USD. I ended up paying so much more just to see fecking Iceland vs Croatia which I have no affiliation to and only the last 10 mins of Germany vs South Korea. Even then, I don't even know if they would still allow me to enter the stadium.

This is how my travelling schedule has been like

25 June - Portugal vs Iran (I missed this game cause there is no more train/flight from St Petersburg to Saransk and I feel sick about this, so annoyed I missed seeing Ronaldo live even though I dislike him.

26 June - Iceland vs Croatia. As mentioned, I attended this match yesterday at 9 PM. Arrive in Rostov at 6:50 PM, rush to the stadium. Misplaced my passport and belongings outside the stadium 15 mins into the match. The stewards refused to let me go out because they said I won't be able to come back into the stadium. I mean what kind of fecking stupid rule is this?! I decided to stay on till half-time and left the stadium. Thankfully, found my stuff but still had to wait for the match to end as the fan shuttle bus has to wait for everyone.

27 June - Germany vs South Korea - Rushed back back to the airport to catch a 24 hour flight to Kazan to see Germany today where I am waiting in transit in Moscow now.

28 June - Japan vs Poland at 5 PM in Volvograd. There are no flights or trains from Kazan to Volvograd and it is impossible to travel there in just 24 hours. Also I forgot I had purchased the England ticket and obviously I would rather watch England live. I ended up giving my ticket away to a Japanese guy I met during the Iceland vs Croatia match.

28 June - England vs Belgium at 9 PM in Kaliningrad. Again, I'd need to take a flight from Kazan to Kaliningrad via transit in Moscow cause no direct flights.

I love Russia and but oh boy, travelling here is a bitch.

I think I might kill someone if Germany don't win/qualify.

Reactions: Penna

serxyo

So fecking nervous. I have a ticket to the Germany vs South Korea match but seems like I can only watch the last 10 minutes and that is a big if. I am at the Moscow airport now. Just landed from a 24 hour flight from Rostov. I landed in Rostov yesterday for just 4 hours to just watch the Iceland vs Croatia match and soon as the match ended, I had to rush back to the airport to get on a 24 hour flight to Kazan where I am on transit now in Moscow. I ended up shelling an additional €1,100 for the flight ticket, so stupid and I will only arrive in Kazan at 5:50 PM here and the match kicked off at 5 PM. Hopefully Germany is leading comfortably when I arrive and I can still enter the stadium.
Try to postpone kick off :lol:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Don't mind me, everybody is rich to me.

Sucks about your troubles, and for you, I'll cheer for Germany today.

(sorry, I can't :()

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Btw, have you been there only from 25th? I'd personally enjoy more first rounds I believe.
I arrived on the 16th June but yesterday was only the second match I've watched. The first match I attended was Germany vs Mexico on 17th June. What a way to start off my World Cup. I missed the second match against Sweden as I had to make a trip to Saint Petersburg for my mate's birthday which completely messed up my travelling schedule. If I had stayed in Moscow, I wouldn't face all these problems.

Yeah first round matchs are always more enjoyable for me as well as you get to meet fans from so many different nationalities, all united together for football. More goals as well. Usually come knockout round, there would be less goals and less fans.

PS: If anyone is in Kazan now, please feel free to pm me, would love to meet up for a pint.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'm not completely sure what lineup I'd like to see today. Maybe:

Neuer
Kimmich Süle Hummels Hector
Kroos Goretzka
Brandt (Reus) Reus (Müller) Werner (Brandt)
Gomez (Werner)

Or, hopefully strengthening the midfield further:

Neuer
Kimmich Süle Hummels Hector
Kroos Goretzka Gündogan
Reus Werner Brandt

I expect to see Draxler and Rüdiger in the lineup though. :rolleyes:

Banat

Brazil will put 5 past us, we are hopeless. I smell some embarrassing defeat, similar to Argentina in 2006.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not completely sure what lineup I'd like to see today.
---------------Neuer
Kimmich--Süle---Hummels--Hector
--------Gündogan--Kroos
----Müller---Özil----Reus
-------------Werner

for me. South Korea have basically been playing with 9 defenders + Son upfront, Gündogan + Kroos should suffice against that. Want to see Özil to turn possession into chances. Müller hasn't really justified himself starting, but I'd rather keep Brandt as an option against tired legs.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
---------------Neuer
Kimmich--Süle---Hummels--Hector
--------Gündogan--Kroos
----Müller---Özil----Reus
-------------Werner

for me. South Korea have basically been playing with 9 defenders + Son upfront, Gündogan + Kroos should suffice against that. Want to see Özil to turn possession into chances. Müller hasn't really justified himself starting, but I'd rather keep Brandt as an option against tired legs.
I love Müller, but putting him on the right wing is a waste of space. He needs to be in the center, with a proper striker ahead of him.

Hansa

Good set of matches today. Which team(s) will surprise us? Costa Rica?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
This lineup is floating around twitter now, seems very unlikely.

Abizzz

Neuer
Kimmich- Hummels - Süle - Hector
Khedira
Goretzka Kroos
Ozil
Reus - Werner

I am guessing?

Libano

you know what? i think it's a clever approach. an extra holding midfielder to bring balance. goretzka is incredibly mobile and can fulfill both offensive and defensive roles. a 4-3-3 also decreases the distance between the lines.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
you know what? i think it's a clever approach. an extra holding midfielder to bring balance. goretzka is incredibly mobile and can fulfill both offensive and defensive roles. a 4-3-3 also decreases the distance between the lines.
It could be everything though, 4231, 442, 433...

Neuer
Khedira
Goretzka Kroos
Ozil
Reus - Werner

I am guessing?
That one looks the most plausible option to me, but still.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Great formation. No Müller. Deserved!

Also makes sense to strenghten the midfield. Was my wish for the knockout stage anyways.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
What is up with Low not wanting to start Brandt? He has been brilliant. What more could he have done?

Ozil back in is good, also Gundogan out because he was dogshit in his outings.

Muller out is great, but I fear it won't be the 433. Low has used Goretzka at RW in the past. Those games have been woeful.

Somebody said 352 would be possible, but I don't see it. Rudiger would be in it if that would be the case.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally Germany doing the logical thing and doing for a midfield 3. Shouldve been used in the first 2 games. Also still have to see if he told Kimmich and Hector to not play like idiots and be 2nd wingers basically, but at least a midfield 3 gives that a bit more security.

OutlawGER

Supports
See that's why Sane is not in. Every player has been used from now, except of the 2 GKs and Ginter (reserve CB).

OutlawGER

Supports
Finally Germany doing the logical thing and doing for a midfield 3. Shouldve been used in the first 2 games. Also still have to see if he told Kimmich and Hector to not play like idiots and be 2nd wingers basically, but at least a midfield 3 gives that a bit more security.
Exactly what i was hoping for. Our midfield 2 was just suicidal.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
I hope Brandt gets more minutes. I praised him so much in the Caf before the World Cup and he was great so far. He could become the "Müller 2010" oder "Götze 2014" if Löw would start him! Hope Goretzka works today.

Mighty Boosh

Trust me I am far from rich. I took a year of sabbatical from my job to travel and saved up 6 months for this World Cup. I love football and Germany so I would do anything to watch Die Mannschaft live. I thought I was smart by getting the cheapest tickets for Croatia vs Iceland at just $70 USD and Japan vs Poland at $50 USD but it is a nightmare travelling in Russia. I was in Saint Petersburg and initially my plan is to attend the Argentina vs Nigeria game as it is my dream to see Messi live as I am sure its the pinnacle of all football fans but the tickets were too expensive. Even the cheapest was selling at over $1,100 USD. I ended up paying so much more just to see fecking Iceland vs Croatia which I have no affiliation to and only the last 10 mins of Germany vs South Korea. Even then, I don't even know if they would still allow me to enter the stadium.

This is how my travelling schedule has been like

25 June - Portugal vs Iran (I missed this game cause there is no more train/flight from St Petersburg to Saransk and I feel sick about this, so annoyed I missed seeing Ronaldo live even though I dislike him.

26 June - Iceland vs Croatia. As mentioned, I attended this match yesterday at 9 PM. Arrive in Rostov at 6:50 PM, rush to the stadium. Misplaced my passport and belongings outside the stadium 15 mins into the match. The stewards refused to let me go out because they said I won't be able to come back into the stadium. I mean what kind of fecking stupid rule is this?! I decided to stay on till half-time and left the stadium. Thankfully, found my stuff but still had to wait for the match to end as the fan shuttle bus has to wait for everyone.

27 June - Germany vs South Korea - Rushed back back to the airport to catch a 24 hour flight to Kazan to see Germany today where I am waiting in transit in Moscow now.

28 June - Japan vs Poland at 5 PM in Volvograd. There are no flights or trains from Kazan to Volvograd and it is impossible to travel there in just 24 hours. Also I forgot I had purchased the England ticket and obviously I would rather watch England live. I ended up giving my ticket away to a Japanese guy I met during the Iceland vs Croatia match.

28 June - England vs Belgium at 9 PM in Kaliningrad. Again, I'd need to take a flight from Kazan to Kaliningrad via transit in Moscow cause no direct flights.

I love Russia and but oh boy, travelling here is a bitch.

I think I might kill someone if Germany don't win/qualify.
That is dedication mate. Reckon you have a hope of finding tickets for Brazil vs. Germany if it ends up that way?

ctp

Neuer
Khedira
Goretzka Kroos
Ozil
Reus - Werner

I am guessing?
I don't think we'll play a diamond. It will be either our default 4-2-3-1 with Goretzka on the right or 4-3-3 with Özil as RW.

OutlawGER

Supports
I don't think we'll play a diamond. It will be either our default 4-2-3-1 with Goretzka on the right or 4-3-3 with Özil as RW.
If 433 then it will be Özil LW and Reus RW. They will rotate a lot anyways.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm thinking the Mexico game is the one to watch because Sweden must go for it knowing that Germany will beat Korea.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Tiesto and the Chansmokers - Split

Darnswism

Supports
LOSC Lille
So annoyed that I won't get to see the Mexico game because I'm in a flight. Hope Germany get 2nd though so we have us v Argentina and Brazil v Germany in the round of 16.