Day 14: Mexico vs Sweden, South Korea vs Germany, Serbia vs Brazil, Switzerland vs Costa Rica

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No way in a million years that’s a penalty. Plus, when there’s doubt it shouldn’t be given. Chicharito obviously didn’t mean it if it even did touch his arm.

Anustart89

I think it's fair to not give a penalty. His arm is by his side, I don't see an obvious movement to handle it deliberately, but rather a "lack of effort to move the hand away from the ball", which IMO shouldn't be a penalty.

Definitely not clear cut either way.

Sylar

Thats never a pen. Right decision by the ref.
And stupid refs at VAR HQ making that get reviewed.

Anustart89

Thats never a pen. Right decision by the ref.
And stupid refs at VAR HQ making that get reviewed.
I think it's very fair for the VAR team to let the ref decide for himself if he thinks that's intentional. Hardly clear cut either way, so decision should be ref's. Harsh to overrule him on that one or just let it be.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Hernandez literally watched the ball just hit his arm.

fergosaurus

Don't think so. Most goals between 3 teams doesn't really make sense if you only look at the games between those teams. And if you take all the games into consideration then it's 3 for all in that scenario. Also couldn't find anything on the internet that would suggest that is how the it is evaluated.

Based on what? Every factor would be equal between those teams, except for fair play points.

FWIW the commentator here also said that it would come down to fair play in that case.
I don't understand this. Before it gets to fair play doesn't it go to head-to-head after GD and goals scored, in which case Mexico should be above Germany? Bit of a clusterfeck this group.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mexico have to get their shit together. 1-0 to Sweden and Germany and they go out

Denis79

Sweden remind me of Greece when they won the Euros. Defensive football and relying on Set pieces, penalties for goals.

matsdf

If that's not a deliberate handball, I don't know what is. Does the player have to pick the ball up? Or play goalkeeper like Suarez?

bosnian_red

I don't understand this. Before it gets to fair play doesn't it go to head-to-head after GD and goals scored, in which case Mexico should be above Germany? Bit of a clusterfeck this group.
Nope, if Sweden and Germany win 1-0 there would be 3 teams with the same goal difference and points, so it goes to results in the mini group of just them 3. Mexico would go out because they only scored the 1 vs Germany, while Germany would have 2 against Sweden and Sweden with 1 against both Germany and Mexico

bosnian_red

Don't think so. Most goals between 3 teams doesn't really make sense if you only look at the games between those teams. And if you take all the games into consideration then it's 3 for all in that scenario. Also couldn't find anything on the internet that would suggest that is how the it is evaluated.

Based on what? Every factor would be equal between those teams, except for fair play points.

FWIW the commentator here also said that it would come down to fair play in that case.
Nope, it goes to results in the mini group of the 3 teams level on points, and then same procedure goes. Goal difference, then goals scored. Mexico would be out.
Source: Fifa rules

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sweden go through with a 1-0, don’t they? Regardless of the other score.

podurban2

Sweden remind me of Greece when they won the Euros. Defensive football and relying on Set pieces, penalties for goals.
We are a very good defensive unit, and much better overall than we have been for years. Just wish we had a competent striker..

fergosaurus

Nope, it goes to results in the mini group of the 3 teams level on points, and then same procedure goes. Goal difference, then goals scored. Mexico would be out.
Source: Fifa rules
Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now.

MuFc_1992

Leaving Sane at home looks even more ridiculous now, they really lack pace in this side and Reus doesn't look quick anymore.