Day 14: Mexico vs Sweden, South Korea vs Germany, Serbia vs Brazil, Switzerland vs Costa Rica

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Germany wins by more goals than you they're through, no?
Mexico is the one that goes out if both Germany and Sweden win. Though if it's like a 3-2 or 4-3 Sweden win then I think Germany head out. Sweden cany be eliminated with a win though. Only Germany has it somewhat out of their hands.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not sure about that. I think it's the way they are set up. Slow, uninspired. A far cry from the Germans of the past 2 WCs who attacked space and moved intelligently between the lines.
United in attack, Arsenal on defence. Quite naive at times, and void of ideas when attacking.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can get behind choosing Goretzka over Brandt if you want to bolster the numbers in central midfield, but playing Goretzka in the right midfield over Brandt? Now that is a "creative" choice by Löw. What exaxtly does Goretzka offer there to pick him over a lad, who looked like our sesond most dangerous offensive midfielder?

Sylar

I think it's very fair for the VAR team to let the ref decide for himself if he thinks that's intentional. Hardly clear cut either way, so decision should be ref's. Harsh to overrule him on that one or just let it be.
It puts pressure on the ref imo. Im thinking the five or so refs there should be able to decide its not an obvious mistake by the ref in real time, so just let it continue. Ref goes across, im glad he didnt have it in his mind that others thought it was worthy of a review and second guess himself.

Hostekule

Mexico is the one that goes out if both Germany and Sweden win. Though if it's like a 3-2 or 4-3 Sweden win then I think Germany head out. Sweden cany be eliminated with a win though. Only Germany has it somewhat out of their hands.
I see. What drama.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Two very flat games, have been keeping an eye on both but can't decide which to watch.

I do think ROK are capable of getting something against this disappointing Germany team.

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
Nope, it goes to results in the mini group of the 3 teams level on points, and then same procedure goes. Goal difference, then goals scored. Mexico would be out.
Source: Fifa rules
Yes, just checked again, you are right.

MuFc_1992

Not sure about that. I think it's the way they are set up. Slow, uninspired. A far cry from the Germans of the past 2 WCs who attacked space and moved intelligently between the lines.
But why would they intentionally setup to play this way?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just a complete lack of imagination from Germany. They look very stodgy and slow and as a result really, really struggle against a deep defence.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Looked like a deliberate handball to me.
Not sure, don’t think so though. Looked like an awkward bounce that he controlled with his belly. I’m not even sure it touched his arm, but if he didn’t he didn’t mean it.

Would be extremely harsh anyway.

Denis79

We are a very good defensive unit, and much better overall than we have been for years. Just wish we had a competent striker..
It's the tactics that makes you good defensively, the majority of times you commit bodies to attack it's on set pieces. Very defensive and controlled attacks. Even in a game you have to win like this one the tactics are based on counters. Really reminds me of Greece. Worked for them, let's see what happens.

pjaya

What a waste from son
He should have just lay it to other Korea player and he will be through

Is this the first time for Germany not to score in 1st half in group game?

LeftyBlaster

But why would they intentionally setup to play this way?
Don't think it's intentional. Lowe might be losing his way a little after 2 really good World Cups. They have pace but aren't utilising it correctly. It's almost like watching United play. Slow, balls to feet, nobody playing between the line, resorting to banging in crosses to score. Did the Germans change anyone on their coaching team?

Cloud7

This Germany team seems a bit....meh...compared to what they’ve offered the past two world cups. Can’t put my finger on what it is, but it feels like something is missing.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I can get behind choosing Goretzka over Brandt if you want to bolster the numbers in central midfield, but playing Goretzka in the right midfield over Brandt? Now that is a "creative" choice by Löw. What exaxtly does Goretzka offer there to pick him over a lad, who looked like our sesond most dangerous offensive midfielder?
Indeed. Gomez in the Middle, Goretzka instead of Khedira and it would be good. Has goretzka ever played in the wing?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
What a waste from son
He should have just lay it to other Korea player and he will be through

Is this the first time for Germany not to score in 1st half in group game?
No. Mexico beat them 1-0.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Feck off Low.

And feck off the DFB president who said he will still have a job if we don't go throw. Fire both of them.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Indeed. Gomez in the Middle, Goretzka instead of Khedira and it would be good. Has goretzka ever played in the wing?
One half in the last season and one game in the season before that.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No. Even the morons at Schalke know that Goretzka doesn't play in the wing. But this genius of a coach thinks he can redo 10 years of Goretzkas development and play him on the wing.

I haven't seen Germany play this horrible since 2004, and the excuse at that time was that the squad was shit. Low can feck off if he can't take this squad to the next round.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We go through with any win, yes. Or a draw if Germany draw (if our draw contains more goals than theirs)
Thanks. Mexico are kind of screwed because of that late goal concede against Korea then. They would be able to lose 1-0 here and still top this group if it weren’t for that.

Anustart89

It puts pressure on the ref imo. Im thinking the five or so refs there should be able to decide its not an obvious mistake by the ref in real time, so just let it continue. Ref goes across, im glad he didnt have it in his mind that others thought it was worthy of a review and second guess himself.
The ref waved it off by pointing to his chest, as if the ball didn't hit the hand. When the images showed that the ball didn't hit the chest, but the hand, the ref's reason for waving it off is in question. Therefore, I still think it's fair for the VAR team to say "well, it didn't hit the chest like you thought it did so come over and check for intent because we're split on the decision".

Sure, it took a minute extra but my life isn't that important that I'm going to be mad about losing a minute. If it were, what the feck am I doing watching a bunch of guys chase a ball, eh? That's my problem with all time-wasting arguments, how fecking busy are people that an extra 30 seconds wasted for the fairness of the game ruins their experience. Go out and do all that important stuff instead of watching the footy if every second matters that much.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'd have given a pen against Chicha, but that's just because I'd be afraid the Sweden coach might disembowel me with his eyes.

Alfie092

How bad do Germany look?!

I can now safely say the the World Cup is coming home!!