Day 14: Netherlands vs USA | Argentina vs Australia (Last 16 1&2)

NoPace

Ya I agree with all of this, the biggest weakness is the difficulty to sustain the high intensity for 90 minutes. A big reason for this is the relative lack of depth at the moment for this team. I always felt that this tournament was one cycle too early and reckon that we will have a better overall squad in 2026 instead of just having a good starting XI + 1-2 good subs. Particularly I would like to see development of players in defensive midfield positions (James Sands is a relatively young lad at Rangers currently), center back (Chris Richards for example), and strikers (Sargent is joint top scorer in the Championship so he's on the right track but not quite there yet in terms of being prolific, while Pepi needs a couple more years I reckon).
You can just about survive a World Cu with only one quality defensive midfielder in Adams, and you have very good attacking midfield/winger subs in Aaronson and Reyna, but Sargeant is exactly the kind of forward you want to throw out for 65 minutes until he's run himself into the ground, and the only decent #9 option I see is pushing Weah or Pulisic up there or throwing Reyna on and just hoping he can get on the ball, none of which is ideal. Yedlin isn't a terrible option to come on at RB, but yeah I think in the end the lack of a 2nd striker and another CM and just having slower CBs will probably do you in over 120 minutes, which you realistically will need to beat the Netherlands and Argentina and make a semi final.

As you say, should be a better squad in 2026 because the midfield will be of age and you can't get much worse at #9, though Sargent is an admirable and selfless player and that can go a decent way in international football, and adding even one really quality CB would help a ton.

Now that you have a decent enough domestic league and big teams in Germany and the big 2 in Scotland have had lots of success with U.S players, your floor for players shouldn't get any lower, which is to say guys like Ream, Carter-Vickers and Sargent should be replaceable by 2026 even if it just means picking the best American MLS CB and MLS #9. By 2026, I'd think those guys would be closer to the quality champo/decent in a relegation fight Prem players those 3 are. I know Sargent didn't help Norwich much last year, but I do like a striker who actually improves the pressing and defensive play of a team rather than a guy who either scores or makes no impact. He's like a Champo level Gabi Jesus.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think whoever makes it out of this side is a pretty weak semi finalist.

Dr Foo

I have a soft spot for the Netherlands as my international team ever since the days of RVN. Even if they bore like mad now. If they continue to rely on their circa 2014 tactics of relying on a few individuals in attack to make things happen without world-class personnel, they will be out very soon. Go oranje..

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
USA and Argies win

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck it, we will smash these freedumb cnuts. maybe 1-0 in extra time

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Why so little time for Argentina to rest? Not a optimized set of fixtures.

Anyways, Netherlands via penalties and Argentina 2-0 win.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think USA will win and I won't even call that as upset. NL has been crap. But it's knockout and it'd LVG . So NL could win comfortably.

USA has to win in 90 mins. They get very tired towards end of the game and the sub options aren't really great either.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I hope for another great day of football. All the last 16 matchups seem to have a heavy favorite, but I feel like USA and Japan are the two most likely to make an upset. USA is playing well and Netherlands havent been really convincing, they have a weird mix of great and very average players. Australia has a fair chance depending on how well they can defend and resist the argentinian attacks. I expect two fun open games anyway.

Gandalf

Best part of dual citizenship is getting two bites at the World Cup cherry. I have recovered from the trauma of Wales exit, more specifically the trauma of Rob Page and his anti-football tactics, and I am now ready to cheer on the mighty USA team. I expect the USA to win this world cup after their spectacular 0-0 victory over England which shook the footballing world.

With regards to the Netherlands, they are a slow and boring side, LVG is a cnut and the USA will press the ever loving feck out of them. If they can actually finish some chances for once I genuinely believe USA will advance. Lets chuck that tea in the harbour and make some noise.

MarylandMUFan

Best part of dual citizenship is getting two bites at the World Cup cherry. I have recovered from the trauma of Wales exit, more specifically the trauma of Rob Page and his anti-football tactics, and I am now ready to cheer on the mighty USA team. I expect the USA to win this world cup after their spectacular 0-0 victory over England which shook the footballing world.

With regards to the Netherlands, they are a slow and boring side, LVG is a cnut and the USA will press the ever loving feck out of them. If they can actually finish some chances for once I genuinely believe USA will advance. Lets chuck that tea in the harbour and make some noise.
I love this message board for humor like this. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aussies been great but can't see them laying a glove on Argentina, another side with little pace in final third to really test Argentine backline.

Really looking forward to US-Netherlands though. Could go either way that one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Aussies been great but can't see them laying a glove on Argentina, another side with little pace in final third to really test Argentine backline.

Really looking forward to US-Netherlands though. Could go either way that one.
Whoever wins tomorrow I doubt it will be an exciting game. We seem to deliberately try to not attack and the US dont really have the creativity to attack against our pragmatic approach.

Real question is, will Gakpo score another opener.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It'd be a travesty if Holland don't make the semis vs brazil given our luck with draws (host nation in groups, and the easiest half of the knockouts. The other side of the brackets has England, Portugal, France, Spain) It's also a humiliation to lose to a country that doesn't even know the name of the sport.
Whoever wins tomorrow I doubt it will be an exciting game. We seem to deliberately try to not attack and the US dont really have the creativity to attack against our pragmatic approach.

Real question is, will Gakpo score another opener.
If Gakpo doesn't score, our only hope is pens. I don't have any expectations from Memphis or Bergwijn whatsoever.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Argentina have a pretty handy route to the semis. And would play either France or England. Brazil have a pretty handy route to the semis and would play either Spain or Portugal.

Obviously as this World Cup has shown, upsets can happen. But the potential ties deep into the tournament are mouth watering. Messi vs Ronaldo final could easily happen I think.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Gakpo opened the score with both feet and his head, so I expect him to open the score with his chest or butt. Anything other than that will be a disappointment.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Argentina have a pretty handy route to the semis. And would play either France or England. Brazil have a pretty handy route to the semis and would play either Spain or Portugal.

Obviously as this World Cup has shown, upsets can happen. But the potential ties deep into the tournament are mouth watering. Messi vs Ronaldo final could easily happen I think.
No, Argentina will play Brazil.

Swordsman

boring orange and most dubious penalty call will qualify for next round.

then they will get another dubious penalty call to knock boring orange out.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
The cosmos energy has spoken to me, it will be US going through unless the universe is lying to me

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well US are co hosts next time. Would be a great revenue boost if they win today. Don’t let this influence any decisions, though. Just saying.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
In Aus at the min - feels weird setting an alarm for 5am to go to the pub

Cloud7

Argentina seems a clear favorite against Aus. Hard to imagine any upset there.

I can see the USA beating Netherlands. They play so slow and ponderous.

Ole'sgunnarwin

USA winning wouldn't even feel like an upset. I'd say they're slightly more likely to win. Argentina should win comfortably.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It'd be a travesty if Holland don't make the semis vs brazil given our luck with draws (host nation in groups, and the easiest half of the knockouts. The other side of the brackets has England, Portugal, France, Spain) It's also a humiliation to lose to a country that doesn't even know the name of the sport.
It'd be a travesty if you don't beat Argentina? Errrr okay then :lol:

peridigm

Whats the latest on the Dutch squad and illnesses? Mind games or legit?