Day 15: France vs Poland | England vs Senegal (Last 16 3&4)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Senegal were more than a match for the Netherlands in their opener. It was a Mendy blunder that cost them.

England have scored goals but other than Iran, they have not truly sparkled at this tournament.

Senegal have a chance.

antk

France, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Germany, and Belgium all have had their upsets.

It's England's time. Let's go Senegal!
Brazil, France and Portugal all had qualified and were almost guaranteed first when they had their upset with greatly rotated teams though.

The Purley King

We (England) should win but I can see it going to extra time.
An early goal would probably make it a relatively comfortable evening as we usually play well on the break.

Pronewbie

Peep
Out of interest in an England France QF scenario, who will be the underdog?
Mbappe and Dembele should tear the English defence to shreds. At the same time, they are also secure at the back so Southgate's rat tactics may not be very effective against them. But what would I know, I've lost most of my bets this World Cup since the 3rd round of group matches.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Mount and Sterling shouldn't start. Foden has to. Maguire has had it comfortable so far. He might struggle with the pace of the Senegal attack.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Out of interest in an England France QF scenario, who will be the underdog?
England v the current world champions with the most dangerous player in world football. Hmm I wonder.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Come on, lets not pretend England are favourites against France. Mbappe and Dembele against Englands defence could be a blood bath.
They weren't exactly scintillating against a very poor Denmark. Of course they'd be favourites in my book as well, but don't see it as clear cut.

Biggest obstacle for me is Southgate's record vs big teams, not sure England has beaten anyone of note apart from Germany at the Euros

Berbasbullet

They weren't exactly scintillating against a very poor Denmark. Of course they'd be favourites in my book as well, but don't see it as clear cut.

Biggest obstacle for me is Southgate's record vs big teams, not sure England has beaten anyone of note apart from Germany at the Euros
Yep, agree with all of that.

Sildegil

I would say it is a 60% France - 40% England. We are really strong against possession teams like Spain, Argentina and Brazil as we rely on counter attack (mostly). England can tactically give us real problems.

Berbasbullet

What line up for England we thinking? I saw something about Saka and Foden both starting.

At a guess I think he goes:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham

Saka
Kane
Foden

Is my best guess, would love to see Rashford down the left with Shaw though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What line up for England we thinking? I saw something about Saka and Foden both starting.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham

Saka
Kane
Foden

Be stupid not to start rashford after getting 2 goals last game. I also think there’s no need for Henderson and rice together against Senegal. Should be going for rice with Bellingham and either Maddison/mount.

croadyman

I wouldn't count any chickens just yet. Every time we are due to play France in the next round, we get knocked out unexpectedly.

Croatia in 2018, Iceland in 2016, Portugal in 2006, West Germany/Spain in 1982.
Yeah you are absolutely bang on there

croadyman

Second paragraph is exactly the issue

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Unless England goes completely conservative I can't see Senegal winning. I do hope we have two good competitive games though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Unless England goes completely conservative I can't see Senegal winning. I do hope we have two good competitive games though.
Hardly gonna happen. Poland are trash. Got absolutely dominated against Argentina. Was lucky to score 2 against Saudi. Can see it being 1 way traffic in both games.

Zetrio2002

African nations have lost eight of nine World Cup knockout games against European sides with the exception being Senegal's win over Sweden in the last 16 in 2002; England haven't lost against an African side in their history

CHVR

Supports
Brazil
I'm supporting Poland and England for today's games.
I don't think Poland and Senegal will make it through but I would rather face the English in the finals if we indeed go all that way than the French.
Not because I think France has an invincible squad as most seem to think but because we have a poor record against them in WC. 86, 98, and 06 are all tough memories.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That corrupted fatty managing Poland needs a good beating, so they can sack him and start something better, indeed.

Pintu

France can't win the WC. They got too many farmer league's players in their starting 11. Not one single PL player in their midfield or attack. Not even one PL fullback.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Not even worth watching France/Poland. It's been a tournament of surprises but Poland are too atrocious to give France any problems. 3 or 4 nil.

England/Senegal could be good. England should have too much for them on paper but if they get the jitters, big chance of an upset.

Pintu

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham

Saka
Kane
Foden

Chairman Steve

Anyone else going to wince every time Varane gets tackled? :nervous: Man’s a diamond for us next to Licha.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Isn't his contract already extended? Or at least promised that by PZPN?
Honestly, at this point shouldn't matter in light of his ties to most corrupted element who reversed Polish football progress for literal years.

PZPN should be executed for appointing him in the first place, but I'm not even remotely surprised by the outcome of handling him just another contract...

GlasgowCeltic

all that talk of Mount having to play because there's no replacement for him at 10, and in the end he's lost his place to Henderson

RedDevilRoshi

This France vs Poland is going to feel like a training game. One team attacks and the other just defends.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Polish team: Szczesny - Cash, Glik, Kiwior, Bereszynski - Kaminski, Zielinski, Krychowiak, Szymanski, Frankowski - Lewandowski

No Milik, that's a pretty good counter attacking team, as they are expected to play.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Really nervous about Kounde RB in a knock-out game :nervous: He needs to have a good game today to build some confidence because if there is a next round he will definitely get targeted by England.

RoyH1

This France vs Poland is going to feel like a training game. One team attacks and the other just defends.
That's why I'm hoping for an early French goal to open up the game. If the Poles score first it's going to be played entirely around the Polish pass in a series of futile passes.

phelans shorts

all that talk of Mount having to play because there's no replacement for him at 10, and in the end he's lost his place to Henderson
It’s a strong tactical move for me, Henderson gives you a lot more control in the middle and lets Bellingham take on that creative role. We saw against the USA how much you can struggle to get a handle on the game with Mount offering nothing.

Also he’s another actual leader to make up for Harry Kane

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Polish team: Szczesny - Cash, Glik, Kiwior, Bereszynski - Kaminski, Zielinski, Krychowiak, Szymanski, Frankowski - Lewandowski

No Milik, that's a pretty good counter attacking team, as they are expected to play.
They will need to get players forward if they want to counter attack. The games I’ve seen of them so far have been tragic with Lewandowski on his own with the nearest teammate 40 meters away.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Matty Cash reminds me of Jamie Oliver when he talks.

Also fully expecting him to get a red card today.