Day 17: Netherlands vs. Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRon

It looks like The Netherlands are just parking the bus, Chelsea style!! Worrying signs for us?

Lothar

They waste 2 minutes and 22 seconds getting a injured player off the field, ref adds 30 seconds. If a team is one up in the knockout rounds they know what to do when 5-10 mins remains on the clock. Just lay down until the match is over.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hoddle's turning into Neil Warnock. Karma.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Holland aren't as dire as some are making them out to be. RvP and Robben are more than enough quality to get a goal or two against the run of play. I sense RvP is getting closer to scoring.
Holland are just trying to contain Mexico. Credit to Mexico tbf...they have had a number of good chances. But yes....RVP and Robben are very close. That was a clear penalty denied btw.

NMF

SBS pundits are idiots. Complaining about Netherlands not contesting in midfield when without the ball.

Maybe because it's 40c Mexico will tire themselves out soon and the Dutch will pick them apart on the counter.

jgprime

I don't think the Netherlands will be able to tire Mexico by sitting back and waiting on the counter. Mexico are now well aware of the dutch-men's intention to counter.

Reactions: Eboue

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
OK first half, nothing great though. Would give the edge to Mexico so far. Few missed penalties in my opinion as well. Though on both sides so prob evened itself out

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
FIFA must hate football.

This is ridiculous. The weather has absolutely ruined this game. Feels like 97f on the field. Dutch players are spent and can't play their usual style.

What was the point in playing the game in Fortaleza at 1pm?

feck off FIFA.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Christ, Adrian Chiles is doing his best to create some sort of controversy over that clearance in the Netherlands area. The Mexican player is stooping, it's never a pen.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
God I hate O'Neil, you can just tell every time he speaks how much he loves the sound of his own voice.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
FIFA must hate football.

This is ridiculous. The weather has absolutely ruined this game. Feels like 97f on the field. Dutch players are spent and can't play their usual style.

feck off FIFA.
Professional athletes should be able to play in 97. It's not even that hot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Typical Dutch performance tbh. They've done this every game, awful defensive first half followed by attacking second and a move to 4-3-3. I just hope LVG doesn't think he can bring the best out of the current United squad by playing like this.

Revan

Assumptionman
Holland has vastly improved in all the 2nd halfs. Opponents tiring but this heat may be huge factor still.
I think it may be a tactic. That cnut Dutch fitness coach who criticized Moyes during the entire season, said yesterday that Van Gaal ia making his tactics in order to converse the energy. It might really be something like that.

Bojan11

If the Mexico penalty shout is one. Then you have to give one to RVP when he nearly gets his head kick in. But RVP moves out the way.

Unlikely lad

Something about the picture and the colours. I can't really explain it. But you know how different World Cups have a different "look" to them? (usually to do with the picture quality tbf) this just feels like USA94.

I'm probably going mad.
I can actually see it, thin it's the pitch. It looks flat and is that weird fake green colour.

The Firestarter

I hope the other games offer something more or we are going for a repeat of '06 . Great group stages / boring knock-outs.

revel911

It looks like The Netherlands are just parking the bus, Chelsea style!! Worrying signs for us?
No, the problem is that the Netherlands only has a few attacking threats .... so they almost have too sometimes. United has a lot more attacking threats, our problem is getting them the ball which is why we are fixing the midfield.

AllezLesDiables

FIFA must hate football.

feck off FIFA.
What was the point of granting Qatar the 2022 which will have 50c weather .... $$$$$$

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Professional athletes should be able to play in 97. It's not even that hot.
Egg-sactly.

I've read about a few athletes suffering health issues from playing in very hot temperatures but it's usually American Football players training in their full gear for hours on end, not "soccer" players playing 45 minutes in shorts and a t-shirt.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
How on earth can people really complain about Holland's tactics this game? It's insufferably hot by all accounts and so of course the bulk of their possession is going to consist of slow passing and control. They're not going to play risky passes to the front men as often as they usually would, nor are they going to burn themselves out by pressing as hard as they usually would. Whether we like it or not, the conditions demand controlled, careful, tactical football. For all people are saying, Holland should be 1.0 up, the ref has bottled it twice with Robben in light of his reputation. But if the foul just outside the box and the one inside the area (there were two really), weren't really fouls but dives by Robben, why isn't he booking him? As I said, he's bottling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.