Day 18: Croatia vs Brazil | Netherlands vs Argentina (QF 1&2)

Fully Fledged

I don't believe it. But it makes me feel better. The Brazilians needed to be brought down a peg and in the end that's what happened. Too much smoke was blown before the WC, even if I expected them to beat Croatia, I didn't expect them to win the WC. I feel like that's what they expected, though.

And those were some ice cold penalties by the Croatians.
It was all the dancing the other day. As with Dancing Pardew, if you dance before the competition is over it has a habit of coming back to bite you in the Borax.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
NOt sure I understand how people think Croatia are boring?!

If being tactically astute, resolute, good on the ball and solid at the back is boring you guys had better go watch a different game.
They were excellent in the midfield and defense but truly shite going forward and are going to pay for the extra minutes in the next game.

fallengt

This is their 5th 120minutes wins since 2018. They are known for seeing out games for penalty shootout.
Nothing is exciting about it. Without Mandzukic this is way worse than the last time

RedDevil@84

I kinda think this Brazil side was one of the best teams of the tournament but the problem for me seemed to be that Casemiro was often on his own or the only defensive midfielder. playing that way against THAT Croatian midfield was going to be a problem
Also their attack is awesome, but end product is average. They don't finish their chances and need 10s of them to get one goal. That finally caught up with them in the QFs

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
See how much space Croatia had on the attack. They were too focused on keep ball high up the bitch and committed many to winning it early
Nah, they just fecked up there. Tite's subs were clearly defensive and meant to shut things down. They got a bit too aggressive right then seeing an opportunity to win the ball high up and got punished

KeanoMagicHat

That's what I thought first, but when I saw them play in this WC I genuinely couldn't see them as the monster they've been depicted as. Nothing like France, England or Portugal (without Ronaldo). They've been weak mentally too.

I still think that the winner of France v England will take the trophy home.
The Brazil jersey does that to people, they go back to being kids and think Ronaldo, Pele or whoever was the man of their youth. To be honest I don’t think they were that bad and were quite unlucky. Really such small margins. Were they any worse than Spain against Paraguay when they won it, or Germany against Algeria etc? Just how it goes.

avgp_1

Lisandro starts. Back 3 for Argentina, that's a good call.

If Argentina press well they should win this

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
then watch Netflix or something els on tv. Simple.
Pathetic response but thanks. I watch all of the tactical battles when I watch the league and UCL and I would prefer something else in a WC. People can have different expectations from a tournament they get to watch once in 4 years.

Simple.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah, they just fecked up there. Tite's subs were clearly defensive and meant to shut things down. They got a bit too aggressive right then seeing an opportunity to win the ball high up and got punished
Yeah that was the thing - pretty silly from them. It's a WC quarter against a team that had no attack. They should have been more conservative throughout

Kopral Jono

Its a bit weird how much hate Croatia are getting here :confused:
Yeah, kinda weird. Croatia have been playing to their strengths since day one and so far they got their reward each time. They've been lucky along the way but luck is very much part of the game. I do get why some didn't want them to progress, though. Because let's face it -- with all due respect it's better for the World Cup to have a team with serious historical pedigree like Brazil around, especially at this stage of the tournament.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Brazil, outside of the South Korea game haven't exactly been enthralling. This side of the bracket isn't exciting outside of Messi turning it on.
Yeah that's true kind of true to be fair but out of all the less than enthralling teams, Croatia have really been most boring of the lot. In my opinion at least.

The Purley King

Have to admire Croatia’s spirit.
Brazil needed to do more, they never really opened them up properly apart from the goal despite all of their talent.
A small part of me enjoyed them going out I have to admit .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pathetic response but thanks. I watch all of the tactical battles when I watch the league and UCL and I would prefer something else in a WC. People can have different expectations from a tournament they get to watch once in 4 years.

Simple.
How dare you not want to watch Croatia and have your likes / dislikes!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Oh well :lol:

Yessssssssssssbhshsgdyat
Didn't realize you are Croatian :lol:

It is what it is. Congrats, enjoy it! Second semis in a row at a WC, you guys have every right to be damn proud of these guys.

Irwin99

Back 3 for Argentina? Hmmmm, interesting!

Dutch attack looks different with Gakpo as a ten?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah that's true kind of true to be fair but out of all the less than enthralling teams, Croatia have really been most boring of the lot. In my opinion at least.
I admire their spirit and how prepared they are for tense, pressure moments. Yeah, I'm sure people want attacking football but I also can find enjoyment in how Croatia seem to never lay down.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

If being tactically astute, resolute, good on the ball and solid at the back is boring you guys had better go watch a different game.
You've put my thoughts into words. Agreed.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Simple.
Yes understandable but moaning about having to watch them again after they’ve done whatever possible to get through. You have a choice to sit through potentially 90+ mins.

cyberman

You can be boring but be good at what you do. You don’t have to be shit to be boring

Winrar

It's not the most popular sentiment, but I get a different type of enjoyment from sides like Croatia and Greece 04 that know how to shithouse their way through the tournament even if it doesn't make for the most pretty viewing.

AFC NimbleThumb

This whole sufferball crap needs to end quickly. Brazil weren’t particularly great today but Croatia going to 120 then penalties is becoming as reliable as death & taxes.

ayushreddevil9

How dare you not want to watch Croatia and have your likes / dislikes!
Amazing how some people can have such a narrow mindset.

Have to admire Croatia’s spirit.
Brazil needed to do more, they never really opened them up properly apart from the goal despite all of their talent.
A small part of me enjoyed them going out I have to admit .
I only enjoyed Brazil going out because it keeps both Antony and Casemiro healthy and prepared for the restart. I hope Croatia can try winning a game in the 90 minutes time frame next time.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
The Brazil jersey does that to people, they go back to being kids and think Ronaldo, Pele or whoever was the man of their youth. To be honest I don’t think they were that bad and were quite unlucky. Really such small margins. Were they any worse than Spain against Paraguay when they won it, or Germany against Algeria etc? Just how it goes.
Yeah, Brazil never enter a WC without being touted as favourite but I didn't see any convincing team since Ronaldinho's days in 2002 and this one is no exception.

Don't remember much of the first game but I can guarantee you that Algeria gave Germany their hardest match of the tournament. I live there and their opinion was unanimous about that game.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Didn't realize you are Croatian :lol:

It is what it is. Congrats, enjoy it! Second semis in a row at a WC, you guys have every right to be damn proud of these guys.
:lol: Thanks, sorry for the rude response. We are past our peak and certainly not playing with some amazing flair, but amazing winning mentality. And that is with the league which is an absolute garbage and full of curruption.

It is amazing for such a small country.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Jaysus people can't have preferences anymore.

Love Croatia you fool :lol:
Preferences for what? Just giving advice… if people are moaning about watching boring Croatia then there are other solutions. Brazil must be boring because they only scored 1 too. For us fans we obviously want an entertaining game but for the players it’s all about winning and doing whatever possible.

Stocar

If Croatia had 20% possession and parked the bus they would probably get more praise here.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
How is it weird that negative, shithouse football is getting hate? Has nothing to do with nation itself.
you are mixing things up mate. This has nothing to do with shithouse football. Did they waste time? brutal fouls, antics, complaining? Someone already wrote it; they played what they were able to against Brazil. underserved? Hell yes but no shithousery there.

SATA

How good is the Dutch keeper at penalties? I know the Villa keeper from Argentina is pretty good. And Holland don’t have Tim Krul this time if it goes to that

ayushreddevil9

Yes understandable but moaning about having to watch them again after they’ve done whatever possible to get through. You have a choice to sit through potentially 90+ mins.
I know that most likely I will be bored but then again, its the WC and anything can happen so cant take chances on FOMO.