g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 18: Germany vs. Algeria

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Should we invent a new description for Neuer? I'm voting for "false 1".

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
May I say again that I had a fecking bet on 2-0??????????
So did I, mate. One of the most unnecessary goals in the history of betting in my book. *sigh* I'd have taken the lead at our office league, too!

LinkesAuge

Not the worst, but among the worst. And you're right, some idiot will count his "successful" passes and then he'll be celebrated again.
noone was good today but such a comment is stupid with Höwedes, Mustafi, Özil and Götze's "performances" today.

alastair

ignorant
For all the criticism of Germany's defence, they're hardly helped by the tactics.

If you look at France earlier, Koscielny and Varane are probably the two quickest CBs in world football at the moment and even they would have struggled with a line that high. Mertesacker's a great defender but he can't hold back the tide. Mental from Low.

They played exactly how Arsenal used to before Mertesacker arrived, and thank God he did.

JohnDoe

Yup. Technically most of them were outstanding, probably even better control/dribbling than their German counterparts. Their passing in between the lines was also something to behold at times, just couldn't find the right weight on their crosses most of the time unfortunately (except for the goal obv). Also that one through ball from the CB at the end :drool:
Yes, they struggled in the final third, a shame because they had so many good opportunities. Some sublime passing indeed, and as you say technically they were fantastic, couldn't believe I was actually watching Algerie at times. Classy performance in every way. I was neutral when the game started, but by the end I was cheering for them to win.

knack

It's not about how much time is added on. It's about respecting the amount of time added. If a ref decides that two extra minutes are needed, he might as well make sure that those two whole minutes of football are played. The +2 at the end was at most one minute of football being played. Needless to say, one minute can change a whole game.
I agree with this. This has been hppening far too much in the world cup for my liking . Happened in bosnia nigeria too..,

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Hopefully we will never see Mustafi at this WC again. He was absolutely terrible and I hate to say it, but I was glad when he went off injured.

Please Hummels be fit on Friday!

steve9

noone was good today but such a comment is stupid with Höwedes, Mustafi, Özil and Götze's "performances" today.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Kroos lost so many times possession in crucial areas, that was worse than whatever Goetze did. That Oezil was the worst man on the pitch is clear. Hoewedes and Mustafi at least have an excuse for being misused.

Blackwidow

No wonder you guys won, you had 11 outfield players on there :D
Yes. But that is actually why Neuer is so world class - he usually just cannot show this too often. He is an extra man on the pitch even if he has his two or three blunders each year. But - I do not know any goalkeeper or outfield player that does not do any mistakes.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Germany will beat France with relative ease.
IF they beat them, it won't be with relative ease. I fancy France to go through, they didn't have to go as deep as Germany today and their front three (let's hope we've seen the last of Giroud today and Griezmann starts on Friday) could destroy that German back four. They better pray that Hummels is fit for that game.

DavidDeSchmikes

Mark Ogden: Rais M'Bolhi had a week on trial at Manchester United during 2009-10 season. Looks a keeper tonight...

Surely there will be teams after him, just like Navas and Ochoa

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Algeria can go back home with their heads held high, they played really well and took the game to the Germans. Frankly, I was expecting Germany to beat Algeria comfortably. I think Hummels is a big miss for Germany, you can see that Germany looks so out of depth without him.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The world cup is a funny tournament. Every team gets treated like royalty, so when someone does something a bit special they are suddenly seen as really rather good.

Or, the world cup is just the best tournament in the world, and the Champions League is stale, stagnant, and can go suck a lemon.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
The world cup is a funny tournament. Every team gets treated like royalty, so when someone does something a bit special they are suddenly seen as really rather good.

Or, the world cup is just the best tournament in the world, and the Champions League is stale, stagnant, and can go suck a lemon.
I would say the CL is the best club tournament and the WC is where the best of the best players meet. But then I see guys like Höwedes on the field and ask myself if there truly wasn't anyone better in Germany.

didz

Germany will beat France with relative ease.
Not a chance of "relative ease" at all. Especially if they do what it looks like they'll do at the back. This 4 CB thing isn't working for them at all. Only Boateng has any pace in him and Howedes in particular has been poor at LB in all 4 games. It's not like they don't have any full backs with them either - Low just doesn't want to play Durm and he refuses to put Lahm where he's needed most. Not to mention Grosskreutz(s), who could fill in right or left easily enough.

What they're doing now is putting fish out of water, and it shows with their inability to cover against diagonal passes, take on quick dribblers and offer absolutely anything going forward. Add to that, Germany only have two players who ever look to get in the box, and Khedira will probably be on the bench, leaving Mueller up against the entire French defence. Who, btw, have only conceded 2 goals while cruising 5 up.

MotM: Neuer by a country mile.
Absolutely agreed. He bailed out that defence how many times? Even bailed himself out of ever having to make a 1v1 save as well. Very impressive.

The best team won, but what an extraordinary and heroic performance by Algerie. No dirty bullshit or diving, just pacey, technical football and passing and players running their socks off for their country. Great to watch.
Pretty much agree with that. Although we've had a few of these very endearing sides so far and while it's a shame that they're all dropping out, you can sort of see why. They just don't tend to make good decisions in and around the opposition box. Might be a pressure thing, might be a quality thing. But that seems to be the real factor that has put the "plucky" teams out of the competition.

Dante

Average bang
I still don't rate Neuer. He was good at bailing out his shit defence today, but he flapped at a couple of balls and almost drop it in front of an empty net at one point. He was made to look good by an incompetent team selection from Low. I can't believe he was picked with the intention of being a sweeper on the night.

He was still MOTM for what he achieved in the match, but I'd expect a better 'keeping performance from someone who's supposed to be amongst the best in the world.

Blackwidow

Makes you wonder how well a keeper like Neuer would do outfield

A charity match Nowitzki and friends against Neuer and friends. He played partly a striker and scored a very good goal against defender Hummels...

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
There are no easy wins over Germany in a WC. When was the last one? Also: did you see France against Nigeria? Algeria is a lot better than Nigeria. Yes, Germany wasn't convincing, but they will show up against France.
Nigeria won the last African nations cup ..

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
He was still MOTM for what he achieved in the match, but I'd expect a better 'keeping performance from someone who's supposed to be amongst the best in the world.
Without Neuer, germany would have faced countless hazardous 1on1 situations with an Algerian storming unchecked towards the goalkeeper. I'd bet my right leg that any another goalkeeper, no matter how good, would have gotten scored on at least twice today. Neuer's job is to prevent goals and he did an absolutely fantastic job today. I'm not the world's biggest Neuer fan and think he's overrated a little from time to time, but this performance was gigantic.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Should be an Easy win for France in the 1/4 finals , you cant win a World Cup with Mertesacker Mustafi Boateng and Howedes , Why is Durm not playing anyway?

Thanks bro. Now i can calm down because i know we will win.

Why do i know that? Because you're wrong everytime. :)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Really enjoyable game that. Algeria unlucky to be honest Germany didn't look great. Germany could turn it on against harder opposition but the defence looks shaky and I think France have a chance against them.

Blackwidow

Really enjoyable game that. Algeria unlucky to be honest Germany didn't look great. Germany could turn it on against harder opposition but the defence looks shaky and I think France have a chance against them.
Every match is a new match. Maybe Germany scores early and then a match can run totally different.