Day 18: Germany vs. Algeria

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Thanks bro. Now i can calm down because i know we will win.

Why do i know that? Because you're wrong everytime. :)
Like I was wrong when i said Real will rape Bayern this season in CL ? Your team is pretty bad because of your coach mainly (and Reus/Gundogan being injured) hopefully you can win though.

Dante

Average bang
Neuer's performance reminded me of some of Phil Jones early games for United. The latter looked good marauding forward (and mostly did well) but he made silly mistakes while doing the actual job he was put on the pitch to do.

Neuer is getting forgiven despite not commanding his box at times today. Granted, he was terrific at commanding the defensive third of the pitch, but I want my goalies to do the basics right first. Neuer, for my money, is far too inconsistent at that whenever I've seen him.

None of this is to say he didn't do well overall today, but a more savvy striker could have pounced on his errors and probably forced him to make a couple more.

coolredwine

lameredboots
If Germany continues in the same vein, France would be licking their lips. The French tactic of pressing high up and running at the defenders could easily knock Germany out.

Sad Chris

Mertesacker acting like he was insulted when the interviewer asked him why the german defense and transition game weren't, quote, "that good". :lol:
I honestly wonder why some people bother stepping up for the interview if they don't want to answer any questions. He seemed pissed for not being praised or celebrated...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What will you do if you end up facing the Dutch in the finals? Robben would swallow Howedes from the right. If Low plays the latter there whole tournament, can't see changing in the final even when it could be a match-deciding mis-match.
I'd play Boateng on the left. He has done a brilliant job on Robben before, enough pace to keep up with him. I've said from the start, that our line-up should develop into the following during the tournament:

Götze Müller Özil
Kroos Khedira
Schweinsteiger
Boateng Hummels Mertesacker Lahm
Neuer

After yesterday, maybe Schürrle deserves to start instead of Götze or Özil.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why did we play such a crazy highline yesterday? Our fullbacks pushed way too far into the Algerian half? I expected us sitting deeper and creating feck all going forward, then winning the game with a bit of German efficiency, but we played a strange possession game and exposed our defense constantly. That was shocking to be honest. It was simply the wrong tactics for the selected players. I expected a close 2-1 win with a bad to average performance, so I'm not really surprised how it all went down in the end, but there was something fundamentally wrong in the tactics, something that we did differently in the first game against Portugal.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Why did we play such a crazy highline yesterday? Our fullbacks pushed way too far into the Algerian half? I expected us sitting deeper and creating feck all going forward, then winning the game with a bit of German efficiency, but we played a strange possession game and exposed our defense constantly. That was shocking to be honest. It was simply the wrong tactics for the selected players. I expected a close 2-1 win with a bad to average performance, so I'm not really surprised how it all went down in the end, but there was something fundamentally wrong in the tactics, something that we did differently in the first game against Portugal.
It was odd indeed. Got very lucky - first with those Neuer sweeps and some bad final balls by Algeria. I would also be concerned about some of the chances missed in second half.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It was odd indeed. Got very lucky - first with those Neuer sweeps and some bad final balls by Algeria. I would also be concerned about some of the chances missed in second half.
:lol: you're really not the biggest fan of sweeper keepers, aren't you?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
:lol: you're really not the biggest fan of sweeper keepers, aren't you?
Nah.. I meant it in the sense of Neuer pulling off one of the best sweeper keeper performances of all time. It would have been quite logical for him to mess up once but he perfected each and every run.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nah.. I meant it in the sense of Neuer pulling off one of the best sweeper keeper performances of all time. It would have been quite logical for him to mess up once but he perfected each and every run.
Oh yes, I agree. It's pretty much equal to a goalkeeper saving 4 1on1s. Insane that it worked every single time, no doubt.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Like I was wrong when i said Real will rape Bayern this season in CL ?

You would say that every single time. For example: You said Bayern will win nothing 2013, Barca will rape them. Real will rape BVB etc. This year was just a lucky punch for you :p

OutlawGER

Supports
Neuer's performance reminded me of some of Phil Jones early games for United. The latter looked good marauding forward (and mostly did well) but he made silly mistakes while doing the actual job he was put on the pitch to do.

Neuer is getting forgiven despite not commanding his box at times today. Granted, he was terrific at commanding the defensive third of the pitch, but I want my goalies to do the basics right first. Neuer, for my money, is far too inconsistent at that whenever I've seen him.

None of this is to say he didn't do well overall today, but a more savvy striker could have pounced on his errors and probably forced him to make a couple more.
What has he done wrong?? :confused:

Member 39557

Best part of the game was the Legend that is Glenn Hoddle, currently starring in ITV's super team of inept broadcasters. He described Algeria as Al-jazeera. Genius at work!

Jaytay

Like I was wrong when i said Real will rape Bayern this season in CL ? Your team is pretty bad because of your coach mainly (and Reus/Gundogan being injured) hopefully you can win though.
When people use the word rape in sporting terms I cringe. It seems so wrong, there are other words such as destroy, batter, annihilate to get your point across. I'm not trying to have a go at you but rape isn't something that should be trivialised.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Honestly, I think it was an atrocious display by us. I still don't get how Höwedes made it into the first team, he's been outclasses by everyone else on the pitch. Our players were not quick enough at all and the passing was just horrible... I haven't seen that many failed passes in the NT in years. It's like after Portugal they've decided to stop training sessions and just chill out. The Algerians fought well, but they could easily have been outplayed by a proper team.

Also, Mertesacker gave an interview that just displayed that they aren't even aware how bad it was. This doesn't bode well for the France game...

Inspire

Supports
Bayern Munich
Germany will play better against France.
France won't defend with 10 people around their box, they will try to make the game on their own.
It will an 50-50 game.

Algeria was stronger then I thought.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Germany will play better against France.
France won't defend with 10 people around their box, they will try to make the game on their own.
It will an 50-50 game.

Algeria was stronger then I thought.
I think we're lucky that Algeria didn't try to make the game. They'd have destroyed us. France saw this, they'll know by now how to deal with our 4 CB defense. Höwedes is slow as feck and Mustafi is inexperienced. Those are big flood gates right into the heart of our defense if France plays it right. All we have going for us is the strength of Boateng/Mertesacker. And Mertesacker isn't the fastest guy on the pitch either. If you get him out of place, you're through... I'm not optimistic if we don't pull a rabbit out of the hat before the next game.

Personally, I'd use Khedira, Schweinsteiger and Kroos as midfield, plant Lahm on LB and keep Mustafi on RB. Lahm played both FB positions often enough to be able to adjust, Mustafi makes up for his lack of experience with youthful energy and cojones and Khedira is better at pacing the game than Schweinsteiger, who is better at shifting game balance to the sides, thus taking pressure off Özil and Götze, who really need to have space and opportunity to get their creative game going. It all hinges on Loew being too stubborn to put Lahm on FB. Any of the FB positions would solve so many problems really.

OutlawGER

Supports

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek#/beitrag/video/2187474/Müller-und-sein-bewusster-Stolperer
(2:11)

Müller interview after the game:

Journalist: "Last question Herr Müller: Oliver Kahn said he never saw a freekick like that. He was questioning himself if it was on purpose or not."
Müller: "Are you sending worldwide?"
Journalist: "We are sending in Germany.... at least"
Müller: "Ähhh okay. Yeah well, it almost worked :D ähhh... i don't know if we do it again, but i thought it was a good try, but yes it was on purpose, ähhh but let's see what happen in the next games."
Journalist: "Okay.... by the way we are sending worldwide."
Müller: "yeah sure :lol:"