Day 18: Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark

el3mel

Actually won't be a surprise for me if Russia knocked out Croatia next game. Can see it happening personally.

klsv

Congrats to all the Croats here! What a mental tournament :houllier:

RedDevil@84

Do the neutrals also think Denmark were the better team?

Damn, that's a tough loss.

Thought we did well, and it will be hard to get over the fact that we missed three out of five penalties when we had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to face Russia in the WC quarters.
I think so. Denmark created some better chances than Croatia for most of the second half. Again the difference may not be huge but I think Denmark did slightly better in 90 mins.

Jev

I think so. Denmark created some better chances than Croatia for most of the second half. Again the difference may not be huge but I think Denmark did slightly better in 90 mins.
Cheers, was just curious. It was a tight game but I felt like we edged it. Unbearable.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Thought we did well, and it will be hard to get over the fact that we missed three out of five penalties when we had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to face Russia in the WC quarters.
Sorry for Denmark. They could have done no more.

Cro_Devil

I think Croatia will play better next game, curse is off (for now), this was most important game for them, we always have problem with this game after group stage. But now its great expectation from them they need to won against Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would’ve died of a heart attack if I were Croatian honestly. One of the crazier shoot outs I remember.

marktan

Yes. That extra time penalty aside Croatia didn't have much, Denmark attacked more but unfortunately didn't have enough quality to finish. Sad as it maybe I think I read it's still Denmark's joint second best WC result.

I think the Danish team can do well at the Euros, they have a still young team. All it really lacks is a proper striker up front to finish chances.

Jev

Sorry for Denmark. They could have done no more.
Ultimately came down to a lack of quality, I feel. We weren't able to convert our possession and control into enough chances.

In the end, for us to exit the tournament now is probably a fair reflection of our level. But still, under the circumstances and with a very winnable QF waiting .. I'm just so bloody sad.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ultimately came down to a lack of quality, I feel. We weren't able to convert our possession and control into enough chances.

In the end, for us to exit the tournament now is probably a fair reflection of our level. But still, under the circumstances and with a very winnable QF waiting .. I'm just so bloody sad.
You also played fair and take the game to us from the second half. So, kudos to you or your team, it was absolutely crazy game and could go either way.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What a fecking let down. Thought we did exceptionally well in the second half and deserved the win against a Croatian team with far better individuals.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What a fecking let down. Thought we did exceptionally well in the second half and deserved the win against a Croatian team with far better individuals.
You killed our midfield. I still can't believe it. You are hard team to beat. This was hell of display from you. 50-50 game

kirk buttercup

Croatia could win the whole lot or get knocked out by " the worst Russian team in history " I honestly don't know at this stage , this WC is feckin nuts !

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
You killed our midfield. I still can't believe it. You are hard team to beat. This was hell of display from you. 50-50 game
Yeah. It was weird seeing our rather average guys keep perhaps the best midfielder in the world and Rakitic quiet almost all game.

Moiraine

Take note of what ?
Croatia were not good , I think England have the beating of them.
I mean to say that they should improve after watching this horror show today. Last thing fans want is England taking Stupid penalties and going out.

Ban

We had a huge huge mental block today. 7 think now we won we ll be relaxed on Saturday

RoyH1

I think people can stop hyping Croatia after this. They’re good, yes but they’re not that good. They came close to being knocked out by an average Denmark side.

I’m surprised Hareide didn’t bring Bendtner to the WC or try Dolberg at some point. Nicolai Jørgensen was absolutely dire.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think people can stop hyping Croatia after this. They’re good, yes but they’re not that good. They came close to being knocked out by an average Denmark side.

I’m surprised Hareide didn’t bring Bendtner to the WC or try Dolberg at some point. Nicolai Jørgensen was absolutely dire.
Very much looks a player who scores a million goals in Dutch league but won't step up in better league.

Newcastle bid 15m for him in January but Feyenoord wanted more an were banking on him having a good World cup to get double the price.

Ban

Yeah we're not that good. Nobody is that good in this WC. It's that kind of a tournament. We can have a belter on Saturday, who knows. If anything it's better if there's no hype around us.

Rajma

Not sure why but I always considered Rakitic as better penalty taker to Modric, just seems more confident with them, I might be talking shit mind just general feeling I get.

Congrats to Croatians who had to suffer a lot to finally reach this stage at a major tournament.

Darkhorsez

Im stock

Drink

Drunk

. Feki.n autocprtwct autocprtwct
Ha ha ! Congrats Ban! I watched the game with Croatian friends, it was the toughest watch ever! I am so happy as I like Modric and it would have been cruel on him on many levels to go out like that. This WC is something else!

Ban

Not sure why but I always considered Rakitic as better penalty taker to Modric, just seems more confident with them, I might be talking shit mind just general feeling I get.

Congrats to Croatians who had to suffer a lot to finally reach this stage at a major tournament.
Yeah I get that feeling too and we talked about it in the bar. After Luka missed of course. :D But Rakitić is cool a cucumber.

Lukad had the balls of steel to take that 2nd pen.

Thanks mate! We had a mental block of not going through a 1st knockout phase since 1998 and today we finnaly done it. :)

Ban

Ha ha ! Congrats Ban! I watched the game with Croatian friends, it was the toughest watch ever! I am so happy as I like Modric and it would have been cruel on him on many levels to go out like that. This WC is something else!
Thanks man! I was a bit pissed when I wrote that. I'm home now and can write a bit better, only problem is I need to wake up for work in 4 hours. :D
It was a crazy, ugly, hideous game. The like I hate. When your team is having these kind of games I'm crazy as hell. Luckily we won this one. :)

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Russia - Spain - What a boring game that was, painful to watch. But Spain deserved to go out, they've been woeful this tournament and with so much creativity on and off the pitch they should be winning games with ease. So much sideways passing it was excruciating to watch.

Denmark - Croatia - I've seen so many penalties saved in a match ever. Croatia would've been embarrassed if they lost tonight. I think they can reach the final.

Jimmyheals

That's why I don't like the "new" rule. The yellow is correct because he did try to get the ball, but the chance he took away from the Croatian (open net) was infinitely better than the one they got, so a red card would've been more appropriate.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. I understand the decision but it’s atrocious from a footballing stand point.

RoyH1

Yeah we're not that good. Nobody is that good in this WC. It's that kind of a tournament. We can have a belter on Saturday, who knows. If anything it's better if there's no hype around us.
Indeed. This is wiiideee open. Generally, only the "historic" teams lift this trophy (Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina) and it takes absolutely loaded teams or teams with home field advantage (England 66, France 98, Spain 10) to break that stranglehold.
But right now it's crazy. I've give Belgium and France a slight edge above all others, but at this point I wouldn't rule out a Sweden or Croatia victory. Bonkers WC.

99withaflake

Indeed. This is wiiideee open. Generally, only the "historic" teams lift this trophy (Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina) and it takes absolutely loaded teams or teams with home field advantage (England 66, France 98, Spain 10) to break that stranglehold.
But right now it's crazy. I've give Belgium and France a slight edge above all others, but at this point I wouldn't rule out a Sweden or Croatia victory. Bonkers WC.
I'd say France are the strongest team I've seen. They didn't need to break a sweat in the group stage, and when they suffered a set back against Argentina, they responded brilliantly and showed their class. So much strength and pace. Belgium would be my second favourites. One of those two for me also.