Day 18: Switzerland vs Spain | Belgium vs Italy (QF 1&2)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 45
Friday 2 July, 18.00 CET @ Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg
Quarter-final
Ref: Michael Oliver (England)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 46
Friday 2 July, 21.00 CET @ Allianz Arena, Munich
Quarter-final
Ref: Slavko Vinčić (Slovenia)​

Last edited:

Swiss_Red89

I really feel Spain is there to beat on Friday. It might still be the euphorie, but if we play like on Monday, i'm not afraid of this Spain side.

Xhaka out is a blow, but we've Zakaria replacing him (United were linked with him here and there in the past), so should be managable.
I hope Seferovic keeps his shooting boots on and Shaq turns up again.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Swiss-Spain. Ref: Punchable face (England)
Belgium-Italy. Ref: Slavko Vinčić (Slovenia)

RoyH1

I really feel Spain is there to beat on Friday. It might still be the euphorie, but if we play like Monday, i'm not afraid of this Spain side.

Xhaka out is a blow, but we've Zakaria replacing him (United were linked with him here and there in the past), so should be managable.
I hope Seferovic keeps his shooting boots on and Shaq turns up again.
As long as Morata is up front for Spain, Switzerland has a shot.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
We played a friendly last year. A very difficult draw with Ramos missing two penalties. A lot of horizontal possession, few ideas at the end and the Swiss with very fast counters.
Perhaps this time I would introduce another midfielder and two up, at least initially. Morata and Oyarzabal / Olmo / Ferrán.

Swiss_Red89

We played a friendly last year. A very difficult draw with Ramos missing two penalties. A lot of horizontal possession, few ideas at the end and the Swiss with very fast counters.
Perhaps this time I would introduce another midfielder and two up, at least initially. Morata and Oyarzabal / Olmo / Ferrán.
How is the general mood in Spain? I assume happy to avoid France obviously. But do you see this as an absolut must win or a quarter final vs a difficult opponent?

Btw, I don't buy into this Morata Bashing. Ok, he misses chances, but he works hard and is a threat imo. Has already scored two goals, so he will be confident.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Until two days ago the team was being criticized, now logically after 10 goals in two games there is optimism but also the feeling that at any moment there could be an accident like Unai Simón, receive two goals and spoil the game, etc...
Yes, Morata works a lot, he is physically very well and the team needs a reference.
I don't think it will be an easy match. I imagine Switzerland breaking the rhythm of the match. The team without finding holes and then punished as in South Africa, or perhaps something easy, as in 94 with Luis Enrique :D
Until two days ago the team was being criticized, now logically after 10 goals in two games there is optimism but also the feeling that at any moment there could be an accident like Unai Simón, receive two goals and spoil the game, etc...
Yes, Morata works a lot, he is physically very well and the team needs a reference. I don't think it will be an easy match. I imagine Switzerland breaking the rhythm of the match. The team without finding holes and then punished as in South Africa, or perhaps something easy, as in 94 with Luis Enrique :D

Swiss_Red89

Yes, Morata works a lot, he is physically very well and the team needs a reference. I don't think it will be an easy match. I imagine Switzerland breaking the rhythm of the match. The team without finding holes and then punished as in South Africa, or perhaps something easy, as in 94 with Luis Enrique :D
Your keeper is welcome to have another blunder on friday ;)

You can forget about 2010, this was an anomaly. Still can't explain how we won that match, we were shit and Spain were the best national team in the world. We went on to being knocked out by mighty Honduras in the group stages and you won the world cup.
I think the current squad of Switzerland is a lot closer to Spain in terms of quality than in 2010.

94 I was a bit too young to experience. But they are still talking about an easy chance we missed right before your first goal. :lol:

Hanks

Got an unbelievably good seat for CAT 3 for the Spain-Swiss game.

Have a feeling it'll be very competitive and not shy of goals either.

Can't wait !!

izec

Spain and Belgium to go through is my guess.

I think Switzerland wont be able to reproduce the France form and Italy will struggle. Watch them win 3-0 now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hazard doesn't start, KDB still doubtful but even if he plays, it'll be with an injection. If the game had happened yesterday, both would've been out.

Grim rumours so far. Mertens played like a League 2 player against Portugal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Spain are going goal crazy yet I'm still unconvinced with them.

Hanks

I’m at a outside bar next to the stadium and honestly it feels like a home game for the Swiss.

So many of them have made the trip ….barely seen any Spaniards so far.

Very good atmosphere….

Kaos

I reckon the Swiss-Spain game will be a goalfest - both seem a little suspect at the back. I expect the Italy-Belgium one to be a more cagey affair.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How come Rodri is not a starter for Spain? Why does Enrique prefer Koke?

Dr. StrangeHate

There was a guy who plays for Atletico, he destroyed Liverpool in CL couple of years back. Doesn't he play for Spain? Never seen him after that.

NYAS

Does the Spanish national anthem not have any words?

Irwin99

Got Italy as my tournament winners so I kinda hope KDB is injured

Think Spain will beat the winners of Belgium/Italy anyway :(

bosskeano

Suisse have changed their defensive tactics and are defending in a 4231