g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 18: Switzerland vs Spain | Belgium vs Italy (QF 1&2)

Tony247

No I’m not. You don’t think they’d have lined up a replacement within 30”?
Belgium could have gotten one full move with a man advantage. It takes time for a sub to get ready, then run from the bench to go to his position on the field. Meaning at best Italy would have all 11 but one out of position. Still advantage Belgium. Never ever going to happen in a QF, that too when being faught so close. Only a highest level of stupidity will allow other team to take any kind of advantage.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Belgium rely on kdB being world class and tonight he was poor by his own standards. Poorly set up and best player not playing well = defeat.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This Italian team is nothing like Germany, the work 10 times harder and have the best midfield in the competition. They are a nightmare for England to play against in a game which the media have already declared England as the winners, which suits Italy down to the ground
Any media outlet that has declared England winners of anything football-related isn't worth paying attention to. England fans no better. You can't take anything for granted in a knockout competition.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Belgium could have gotten one full move with a man advantage. It takes time for a sub to get ready, then run from the bench to go to his position on the field. Meaning at best Italy would have all 11 but one out of position. Still advantage Belgium. Never ever going to happen in a QF, that too when being faught so close. Only a highest level of stupidity will allow other team to take any kind of advantage.
Thats excatly why Chadli also sat on the pitch when injured

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Italy have not limited in one way. They are strong in attack with variety of play structure. They still have gears to shift in my opinion. But also very good at defending. They defend as unit. Very well organised side. Spain vs Italy will be tasty.

Cassidy

Belgium rely on kdB being world class and tonight he was poor by his own standards. Poorly set up and best player not playing well = defeat.
Still put it on a plate for Lukaku

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I'm talking about closing out the game.
Oh I thought about general cheating like diving and all.

As far as I am concerned, seeing out game by time wasting isn't cheating. It's upto ref to decide whether it is happening or not. Diving on the other hand is deceiving the ref and it's difficult to judge how much contact was there.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Basketball players have walked on and off the court with a ruptured achilles tendon. In pain, yes, but not impossible. The guy was on his way to the side of the field already if not for his teammates telling him to go down.

Couldn’t possibly now without knowing the injury. 1 meter walking, very unlikely to do more damage. Should he have done it? No. Would he have done it if football had time stoppages? Undoubtedly yes.
Stood there absolutely 'fine' (injury aside). Teammate comes up, gets close, says something... he goes down.

Donnarumma collides with own player, gets a freekick.

5 mins injury time? Those two instances alone were about 5 minutes.

(Italy deserved the win mind)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Did you see england play? Italy will eat england alive.England hope will be Spain in final not Italy.
People really underestimate England. Close call between the two teams - their midfield is better than ours but our attack better than theirs. I could see our wide players having fun with Di Lorenzo and Emerson if it comes to that. Anyway, not sure that will be the final. Spain could beat Italy. England might not make it either, the Danes are especially dangerous.

Cassidy

People really underestimate England. Close call between the two teams - their midfield is better than ours but our attack better than theirs. Anyway, not sure that will be the final. Spain could beat Italy. England might not make it either, the Danes are especially dangerous.
Midfield is where they win their games

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
How the hell are Belgium number one in the world, must be the most over rated crap ‘good’ team.
Out to wales in quarters ‘16
Out to France semi ‘18 (fair enough I suppose)
Out to Italy last 16 ‘20.

number one in the world my arse
They are a good side with real quality up front but have an ageing defence, Witsel was not fit enough for a game like that and Hazard injured. I don't think they will win anything now, their second XI is way off, unsurprisingly for a small nation.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
How the hell are Belgium number one in the world, must be the most over rated crap ‘good’ team.

Lost to best team in the tournament in QF.

Their lost against Wales is the worst by far.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They are a good side with real quality up front but have an ageing defence, Witsel was not fit enough for a game like that and Hazard injured. I don't think they will win anything now, their second XI is way off, unsurprisingly for a small nation.
I haven’t seen their quality upfront either to be honest, hazard was. KDB is midfield. That youngster on the left looked ok but raw. Don’t think I’m missing anyone.

a good side yes, number one in the world or better than good side, no chance.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The second half was painful to watch as a non-neutral, folks. :houllier: Commiserations to @RobinLFC and the Belgian fans on the Caf. You wanted one more goal more than us and we were lucky to not concede. See you at WC22.

We are through but possibly toast, if you ask me: for the majority of our players, this international SF is the biggest achievement in their career. Congrats to them and we. want. more. :cool:

See you all next week, against our Spanish cousins for a place in the final. What a tournament!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Theyre consistent in that they rarely feck up in games they should win, and that racks up the points in the rankings. In games that are tight like knockout tournament games, they fall short.

Dante

Average bang
This Italian team is nothing like Germany, the work 10 times harder and have the best midfield in the competition. They are a nightmare for England to play against in a game which the media have already declared England as the winners, which suits Italy down to the ground
No they haven't.

Cassidy

Theyre consistent in that they rarely feck up in games they should win, and that racks up the points in the rankings. In games that are tight like knockout tournament games, they fall short.
System is clearly broken. Tournament games especially knockouts should count for more

Djemba-Djemba

Nope

padr81

Supports
Man City
System is clearly broken. Tournament games especially knockouts should count for more
I believe it used to be like that but they removed it because there was a ton of other factors and it was overly complicated.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
People really underestimate England. Close call between the two teams - their midfield is better than ours but our attack better than theirs. Anyway, not sure that will be the final. Spain could beat Italy. England might not make it either, the Danes are especially dangerous.
On paper only england attack is better but they displayed variety of goal scoring ability but England s best striker not even looked like fit.

I am not saying england is bad but will be exposed heavily. Italy have every thing in their arsenal short pass,long pass, attack through center, attacking wide area, dominating midfield, counter attack, pressing up front,counter pressing.

What ever you need in a club in attacking ability they displayed every thing with their players in this tournament . They always able to create 1vs2 situation if they wanted to. That's the big plus but also comfortable in possession.

MU655

I believe it used to be like that but they removed it because there was a ton of other factors and it was overly complicated.
I think the winner of the World Cup should be ranked number 1 until the next world cup. That would be an improvement.

It is weird not having the world champions as number one ranked.

The difficult probably comes from the Copa America and Euros. How do you rank each? The World Cup is easy, though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Watching this, the trophy is England to lose. Really lucky that France self-destructed against this Belgium side.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor by his standards is an understatement. He was very bad, no matter whose

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The second half was painful to watch as a non-neutral, folks. :houllier: Commiserations to @RobinLFC and the Belgian fans on the Caf. You wanted one more goal more than us and we were lucky to not concede. See you at WC22.

We are through but possibly toast, if you ask me: for the majority of our players, this international SF is the biggest achievement in their career. Congrats to them and we. want. more. :cool:

See you all next week, against our Spanish cousins for a place in the final. What a tournament!
You played some very good stuff even when you were ahead. Deservedly went through! Good luck on Tuesday.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Watching this, the trophy is England to lose. Really lucky that France self-destructed against this Belgium side.
Are you kidding me? Italy looks miles ahead of England.

Charlie Foley

I think the winner of the World Cup should be ranked number 1 until the next world cup. That would be an improvement.

It is weird not having the world champions as number one ranked.

The difficult probably comes from the Copa America and Euros. How do you rank each? The World Cup is easy, though.
The issue then is that 4 years is a long time in football and you would get scenarios where in early 2010 Italy would be ranked number 1 where they clearly weren’t the best team in the world. That said, I struggle to think of an effective system

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I think Italy have a better team than England and would have them comfortably ahead of England in a league format. But in a knockout match, England is not a good match for Italy.

They won’t mind Italy controlling the ball and will want to counter with their quick attackers, which Italy is uncomfortable with. They also like to play wide, where Italy have their worst players at full back (apart from Immobile). And while Chiellini loves a good fight with a big forward, someone like Kane is more difficult for him. Finally, there is the home advantage.

On the other hand, I don’t really know England‘s central midfielders. They may just be suffocated from Italy‘s midfield.

Anyway, there are two semi-finals left.

Denis79

Italy are the biggest time wasters I've seen so far in the euros. Hope to god england smash them if we play them in the final.
That prize goes to Sweden. Started wasting time as early as the 55th minute against Spain in the opening game. A player even got a yellow card for it :lol:

justsomebloke

Are you kidding me? Italy looks miles ahead of England.
I don't think so. Very different approaches - England plays a control game, Italy an energy game. It's not a given who will manage to impose their game on the opposition. England haven't conceded a single goal in four games, and will be hard for anyone to break down. They've also not had a serious wobble so far, unlike Italy who really struggled with Austria. I'd say it's even money, so far.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

That was a very good game and tactical battle, though i thought the english commentators were full of hyperbole trying to hype up the individual quality on show. Neither midfield really impressed me.

bosskeano

That Ireland match is a painful memory.
it was a brilliant match but hotter than shit that day. Special day for me personally as my heritage is dutch/irish so i really enjoyed going. The after party downtown was fcking mental. The irish were drinking and singing basically took over every bar and the dutch women were jaw dropping hot and barely dressed because of the heat.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think so. Very different approaches - England plays a control game, Italy an energy game. It's not a given who will manage to impose their game on the opposition. England haven't conceded a single goal in four games, and will be hard for anyone to break down. They've also not had a serious wobble so far, unlike Italy who really struggled with Austria. I'd say it's even money, so far.
A one off game would be even of course, I agree. Italy looks better on the eye though (although England could do that as well with a manager like Mancini imo). England vs Italy would be a great final.