Day 19: Morocco vs Portugal | England vs France (QF 3&4)

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Senegal are African champions, Morocco went out in the quarters
They had another manager then and Ziyech and Mazraoui weren't there. Funny how a competent coach brings the best out of a team.

Senegal were doomed the moment Mané got injured and they've been frankly shite in this tournament, just like Cameroon. I'd have swapped them for Nigeria, Mali, or Algeria any day of the week.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fair enough, but for me, Eusebio will always stand out as the greatest Portuguese player, not only for his ability, but for his humility. He was loved wherever he went. Ronnie not so much but I get what you mean (and he did play for Benfica).
How would Eusébio be the greatest portuguese player ever? We got a third place in 66 but in the rest we did nothing and even lost to Luxembourg. Ronaldo played in the biggest clubs in the world, got the scoring record, got 4th in a World cup and reached many semi finals and two finals. It's not really comparable. Eusébio got a good scoring record but most of his goals were against North Korea.

Andre Kagawa

Both France and England teams are absolutely stacked. Best game of the tournament coming up.

Vapor trail

A lot will of course be said about how they can handle Mbappe, but Dembele running at Shaw and Maguire must be absolutely terrifying for England.
Same weaknesses in the France defence. Upamecano who was labelled a flop for Bayern and Kounde to some extent I rate highlighly but a make-shift right back.

If Benzema, Pogba and Kante were available I'd say they were favourites no matter who they play.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I was just messing with you anyways, I like Figo. Except in 2004 against us. He was far from a senhor then, the bastard.
Don't forget the batlle of Nuremberg in 2006 world cup :lol:

Tbf you guys lose to us most of the times so I understand the feeling. Kinda like us against Germany

cyberman

He can be, but he can also get lost positionally against better sides and spend most of the game tucked in as a third CB. I can see Griezmann drifting over to that side a lot and him and Dembele tying them in knots.
I dunno, I think it’s the other way around. V top sides he seems to keep his concentration a bit more.
Anyway Englands defence has been fantastic so far this tournament so they’re on some kind of form

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Who are “these” players exactly because Ronaldo has been playing with them for 20 years. How are they supposed to win something without him when he’s always there.
The new generation and I'm talking about the future when Ronaldo retires. I think we will drop a level and become a Czech Republic or Poland.

justsomebloke

Didn't they invade eachother for over 300 years straight? Probably just a rivalry or pride thing. I love it. It's either that or a completely dead atmosphere since all the Senegalese and Ghanaian drummers have gone home.
They did against Spain too, but they would of course be in the same category. Can't recall off the top of my head if they also did it against Belgium, which I was semi-watching, and I missed their last two group stage games.

But anyway, rivalry or not, give me a break - what kind of person spends 70% of a game whistling and booing, no matter who the opposition is. At least as long as nothing particularly booable has happened on the pitch. It's just not on, in my view.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Don't forget the batlle of Nuremberg in 2006 world cup :lol:

Tbf you guys lose to us most of the times so I understand the feeling. Kinda like us against Germany
Thats the one! I was confused. Probably due to trying to supress the PTSD. You do beat us all the time. In our country nothing is for certain except death, paying taxes and losing to Portugal. And maybe losing on pens.

kidbob

Frances 11 is quality you have to say.
England's is too to be fair. I think a lot will depend on the full backs. England's are clearly better and if they can dominate defensively and can help out out on the offence then I don't see France dealing with them. Everywhere else on the pitch is pretty equal apart from Mbappe.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
England's is too to be fair. I think a lot will depend on the full backs. England's are clearly better and if they can dominate defensively and can help out out on the offence then I don't see France dealing with them. Everywhere else on the pitch is pretty equal apart from Mbappe.
I honestly wish I was as positive, think Frances midfield trio is comfortably ahead of England's.

Hernandez is very good but as are England's pair tbf. Kane is obviously better than Giroud, it's going to be a cracker.

kidbob

Saka to look out of his depth & be subbed early in the second half.
He'll dive a million times, like he always does, and the calls of anti-football will be silent. Only small teams can play anti football. If 'big' teams do it then its great tactics.

Moriarty

How would Eusébio be the greatest portuguese player ever? We got a third place in 66 but in the rest we did nothing and even lost to Luxembourg. Ronaldo played in the biggest clubs in the world, got the scoring record, got 4th in a World cup and reached many semi finals and two finals. It's not really comparable. Eusébio got a good scoring record but most of his goals were against North Korea.
I saw that game against North Korea (and against Brazil). Eusebio pulled that one out of the fire single handed and that North Korean side were a tough, skilled, and well coached side. For my generation, Eusebio was one of the greatest players ever, no matter how you stack up their individual honours. As playing for the biggest clubs, when Eusebio played, Benfica were one of Europe's top sides. He was also a one-club man. His very stature and demeanour endeared him to people.

AlPistacho

Another side to that coin. What if Morocco score first.. can see them defend like they did Vs Spain and then hit the chasing team on a counter for a second.
Posted this after they beat Spain. They didn’t get the second, but always felt they had a chance of scoring the first and going through.

The thing about the WC is that the odds are often a false representation of the current reality. Because it’s played every 4 years, qualifiers are usually easy. Teams are judged mostly on history, often going back decades, and you have good “untraditional” teams that go under the radar.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thats the one! I was confused. Probably due to trying to supress the PTSD. You do beat us all the time. In our country nothing is for certain except death, paying taxes and losing to Portugal. And maybe losing on pens.
2004 you lost in the semi with us with a Maniche cracker. To be honest I would have preferred to lose that semi and you guys beat Greece that I think you would be capable of doing. It was really painful to lose the final. Kinda like when Sporting lost to Cska in the Uefa Cup final in our own stadium

tjb

England's full backs aren't better. France's defence is far better. Griezmann is better a linking to the attack than every other English player, their flanks are also better too. Even in midfield, they have players who are more comfortable in the build up.

Not saying England don't have a good xi, but France definitely has them beat. Harry Kane would be the difference, both in his link up and goals. If England can't get him the ball, I don't see how they win.

kidbob

I honestly wish I was as positive, think Frances midfield trio is comfortably ahead of England's.

Hernandez is very good but as are England's pair tbf. Kane is obviously better than Giroud, it's going to be a cracker.
Ah I can get being nervous to be fair. I think Shaw, at his best, is miles above every other full back in the pitch and he gives you a technical output that very few can. It's all on Walker being fit for me. If he is then he is the perfect player to shut out Mbappe. Outside of him then England are the better team and have the better options off the bench. I think it'll be tight but I can see England winning 2-1. Luckily Giroud is the perfect striker for Maguire and Stones to deal with but Kane is a problem for everyone.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ah I can get being nervous to be fair. I think Shaw, at his best, is miles above every other full back in the pitch and he gives you a technical output that very few can. It's all on Walker being fit for me. If he is then he is the perfect player to shut out Mbappe. Outside of him then England are the better team and have the better options off the bench. I think it'll be tight but I can see England winning 2-1. Luckily Giroud is the perfect striker for Maguire and Stones to deal with but Kane is a problem for everyone.
Shaw over Theo Hernandez really? I love Shaw but he just isn't as good for me.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I saw that game against North Korea (and against Brazil). Eusebio pulled that one out of the fire single handed and that North Korean side were a tough, skilled, and well coached side. For my generation, Eusebio was one of the greatest players ever, no matter how you stack up their individual honours. As playing for the biggest clubs, when Eusebio played, Benfica were one of Europe's top sides. He was also a one-club man. His very stature and demeanour endeared him to people.
You base your opinion in one world cup and a lower level European cups. I agree about the stature and demeanor. His poise after what happened in that world cup was commendable. Most Portuguese people aren't as forgiving. He was an incredible player but I still rank him bellow Ronaldo and Figo because the competitive level was far lower in his days.

Berbasbullet

That's a fair assessment, agree about Shaw, he's a joy to watch when on it and a big game player usually too (although culpable with the offside line).

Walker needs his best ever game for England today, hasn't he done well against Mbappe for City?

kidbob

England's full backs aren't better
Shaw is a distance better than either of France's ones. Better defensively and going forward and technically. His problem is consistency but if he plays at his best then there isn't a full back on the pitch that can touch him. Walker has that feck you pace that can't be trained. France's full backs aren't bad but its the most obvious weak point of either team for me.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Looking at the line-ups I think France is winning this. Just so much more quality.

PoTMS

Pickford = Lloris

Walker > Kounde
Stones < Varane
Maguire < Upamecano
Shaw
> T. Hernandez

Rice > Rabiot
Henderson < Tchouameni
Bellingham = Griezmann

Saka < Dembele
Kane
> Giroud
Foden < Mbappe

Not a lot between the teams.

Berbasbullet

Shaw is a distance better than either of France's ones. Better defensively and going forward and technically. His problem is consistency but if he plays at his best then there isn't a full back on the pitch that can touch him. Walker has that feck you pace that can't be trained. France's full backs aren't bad but its the most obvious weak point of either team for me.
Really wanted Kounde against Rashford, Foden needs to be tricky out there.

Walker doesnt seem as fast anymore to me.

Andre Kagawa

Pickford = Lloris

Walker > Kounde
Stones < Varane
Maguire < Upamecano
Shaw
> T. Hernandez

Rice > Rabiot
Henderson < Tchouameni
Bellingham = Griezmann

Saka < Dembele
Kane
> Giroud
Foden < Mbappe
Agree with this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
North Korea's doing, that. He was going to inter, everything was done then the italian FA closed the borders after the disaster of the WC and the deal was off

kidbob

Your dead right. As much as I hate him (and he can go feck himself forever for what he did to United and ETH) Ronaldo has to be your best player ever, simply because he belongs with Pele and Maradona in the 1B category of best players ever. He has been incredible for Portugal.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'll have to root for England. Too many painful defeats against France although we did win the Euro at their country to compensate.

Cmooonn England

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If I was doing a combined XI it would be

Lloris

Walker
Stones
Varane
Hernandez

Rice
Tchoumeni

Dembele
Griezmann
Mbappe

Kane

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shaw over Theo Hernandez really? I love Shaw but he just isn't as good for me.
theo so good his brother starts over him? yeah not sure.

he’s certainly got some great qualities but not sure he’s an amazing defender

MDFC Manager

Pickford = Lloris

Walker > Kounde
Stones < Varane
Maguire < Upamecano
Shaw
> T. Hernandez

Rice > Rabiot
Henderson < Tchouameni
Bellingham = Griezmann

Saka < Dembele
Kane
> Giroud
Foden < Mbappe

Not a lot between the teams.
Think this is quite accurate. Maybe a really close game, and get decided by whoever throws up a clutch performance

always_hoping

Arguably the winner of this England v France match will go on to win the World Cup on the 18th .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
theo so good his brother starts over him? yeah not sure.

he’s certainly got some great qualities but not sure he’s an amazing defender
Lucas Hernandez is an excellent player though.