Day 19: Morocco vs Portugal | England vs France (QF 3&4)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 60
Saturday 10 December, 15.00 GMT @ Al Thumama Stadium
Quarter Finals

Match 59
Saturday 10 December, 19.00 GMT @ Al Bayt Stadium
Quarter Finals​

NoPace

Feels like the big tactical questions here are:

France - Is Deschamps willing to drop Giroud (playing presumably Coman on the left) to have Mbappe line up right against Maguire and Stones? Disrupting a team doing well is risky, but the obvious plan A of having Giroud drift a tad right and pushing Griezmann up high enough to be in Maguire's zone only pushes Mbappe wider, and Henderson playing well means England have 2 decent #8s and they might overwhelm Rabiot and Tchouameni if he does that, and England can also counter by having Rice shade more towards Griezmann since there's not a huge threat from Rabiot or Tchouameni at the top of the box, particularly when they have their hands full with Bellingham's box to box running.

He loses Coman off the bench, but gains Giroud as someone to come on against tired defenders and that might give him the advantage to win a header or a race to the near post for a goal.

England - Don't think they'll go 3 at the back, so the main questions are probably:
1. Which 2 of Rashford, Saka and Foden play wide and who starts on the bench. Saka seems like the only you'd trust on the right to deal with Theo Hernandez, but Rashford might be the best choice on the left in a game where England need to sit back more to deal with Mbappe, and Foden is probably the best overall player of the 3.

Portugal - Morocco have shown they can sit back and stop a team, though none of Croatia, Belgium or Spain have been as free-flowing or good in attack as Portugal have. Felix and Ramos did well together and will presumably start again, so not sure there's a ton for Santos to mull over. Felix playing on the left will allow Hakimi to get forward more, but I don't think Portugal really has a way to counter it, though might be tempting to play Leao (off the bench) because if Hakimi does go forward he can punish an RCB 1 v 1 better than anyone not named Mbappe.

Carvalho may still not be the best choice at DM but he'll probably play, and then Cancelo vs Guerrero at LB is a tough call.

Morocco - Injuries are the big issue, though they could also consider going 5 at the back to deal with the different threat posed by Portugal and free Hakimi up a bit going forward. They're still the underdog, so the manager should be more open to trying something new.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Can’t see England getting past France. to be honest. I think France just has that extra bit of quality. England may even take the lead but they’ll bottle it again when they go all defensive again like they did against Croatia and Italy. Both team who they should have beaten after going ahead.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can’t see England getting past France. to be honest. I think France just has that extra bit of quality. England may even take the lead but they’ll bottle it again when they go all defensive again like they did against Croatia and Italy. Both team who they should have beaten after going ahead.
I think it's 50:50. I rate England midfield and fullback as better. Attack, France is marginally better. Only CBs that France is quite much better.

croadyman

I think it's 50:50. I rate England midfield and fullback as better. Attack, France is marginally better. Only CBs that France is quite much better.
Yeah really hope the likes of Tomori don't have to wait until Southgate leaves before being given a proper opportunity

Real Name

I dont think those 2 games were that similar but I wont go deeper into that, it would be offtopic.

Wing Attack Plan R

Good luck. I see England as the underdogs, and it’s tough to not root for the underdogs. If England stays on the attack, players like Rashford and Foden can hurt them. Take it to them. If they go all cagey and defensive, France will smoke ‘em.

Scenario 1: attacking England.
ENG 2 FRA 1

Scenario 2: England sits back.
ENG 1 FRA 3.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I dont think those 2 games were that similar but I wont go deeper into that, it would be offtopic.
Yeah I agree, I just think Fance are much stronger than those two and I’m not sure if England have improved since those games. Or certainly the management if you know what I mean.

PoTMS

I really didn't want to jinx it, but there's a 'shock' coming... And it doesn't involve Morocco.

Real Name

Yeah I agree, I just think Fance are much stronger than those two and I’m not sure if England have improved since those games. Or certainly the management if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I agree, I can see Southgate getting into his shell again and not trusting his forward options which are immense and that could play right into French hands.

BorisManUtd

Don't think Morocco can produce another upset, especially with Portugal being more effective in attack than Spain and Croatia (and better team than current Belgium side). Looks to me like a comfortable 3-1 win for Portugal, though at this stage of competition it's hard to win comfortably.

France are (slight) favorites against England but I can see England winning it in the end, it'll be interesting one anyways.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ronaldo has to start

Warming the bench

BorisManUtd

Ronaldo has to start

Warming the bench
You had me for a moment :lol:

But in all seriousness, can you see him starting tomorrow? It's against Morocco (no disrespect, just easiest opponent left in the competition) so perhaps it's possible? Hard to see it after you trashed Switzerland without him of course but..

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You had me for a moment :lol:

But in all seriousness, can you see him starting tomorrow? It's against Morocco (no disrespect, just easiest opponent left in the competition) so perhaps it's possible? Hard to see it after you trashed Switzerland without him of course but..
It should be the same team. It was the best performance I ever saw from a Fernando Santos managed team, so I don't want any changes. He will be an impact sub in case we can't break the very well organized Marocco defence.

RedDevilRoshi

Backing both Portugal & France to win tomorrow but shocks have happened in an abundance during this World Cup. So not going to write another one off from happening again.

Irwin99

I can't call England/France. Mbappe maybe just tips the scales to the French but England are a really weird team that can look absolutely ordinary for most of the game and then just blitz teams with a sudden rush of goals. England can be a really punishing team to make a mistake against.

Think France should win in normal time but if it goes to penalties England will win. Winner meets Portugal in the semi final.

MalaysianRed7

Portugal: an early goal to break Moroccan spirits in the crowd and force the Moroccan team out of their low block, and they should win comfortably. 0-3 Portugal.

England: Walker vs Mbappe and Maguire vs Giroud are the key battles. Whichever team’s players wins those will ultimately win the game.

Todd

Hoping Portugal and England win.

Seeing Ronaldo come on late in a World Cup semi-final needing a goal, only to get stymied by Harold Maguire would be peak comedy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If that Morocco defender isnt fit and if Ronaldo is not playing then easy win for Portugal.

croadyman

I can't call England/France. Mbappe maybe just tips the scales to the French but England are a really weird team that can look absolutely ordinary for most of the game and then just blitz teams with a sudden rush of goals. England can be a really punishing team to make a mistake against.

Think France should win in normal time but if it goes to penalties England will win. Winner meets Portugal in the semi final.
No way we can blitz France with rush of goals

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They cannot afford to let Portugal get into their stride like Switzerland did,otherwise that strong defence will get blown away too.
A lot will depend on whether ronnie starts or not(he seems to bring them down) but even if he didn't moroco has shown itself to be quite capable when it comes to defense against WC teams(either that or Belgium and Spain were really shite at attacking).

I think it'll go down to et.

colombianmancunian

England vs. France is 50/50. Hard to call.

Portugal vs. Morocco. Contrary to Spain and it’s sterile possession, Portugal has teeth, so probably without Ronaldo they will score a load of goals.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I've got bad news England.

My predictions have been spot on this WC. I said Brazil will beat Croatia, Netherlands will beat Argentina, Germany will win the WC and England will beat France.

Sorry guys.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I've got bad news England.

My predictions have been spot on this WC. I said Brazil will beat Croatia, Netherlands will beat Argentina, Germany will win the WC and England will beat France.

Sorry guys.
Luckily you are only wrong 75% of the time right?

ThinkTank@Cafe

I root for England since 1998 Owen goal vs Argentina. I started to support United as English vs German team in 99 CL final.

I just accepted that England will never win anything. Same story again and again. Always favorites, always a team packed with incredible talents. Never win anything.

avgp_1

England to win 2-1. Maguire from a corner and Rashford to score on the break to make it 2-0 before Griezmann pulls one back

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I root for England since 1998 Owen goal vs Argentina. I started to support United as English vs German team in 99 CL final.

I just accepted that England will never win anything. Same story again and again. Always favorites, always a team packed with incredible talents. Never win anything.
I've started rooting for Utd and England around the same time, have faith, sooner or later it will happen.

RoyH1

Portugal-Morocco is going to be scrappy affair with lots of fouls and cards. I hope they get a better referee than the ARG-NED one.

France has just that little bit more of quality than England but it’s very, very close. Southgate has to come out to win and not to “not lose”. If he does the latter, then France will find a way.